• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Homura Tier
Ben-To
Ika Musume S2
Mirai Nikki

Kyouko Tier
BokuTomo
Fate/Zero
Chihayafuru

Mami Tier
Guilty Crown
Persona 4
Shana S2

Sayaka Tier
Horizon

Green Mugi Tier
Everything else I haven't watched

Jex

Hitokage said:
K-On 1

DMC reference = :lol
Everything else = :cajun
I see. What a strange thing to suddenly watch, but I guess there are far worse stranger things to be spending your time on (Midori).

Dresden

rage no machi/suzuka 1.5 info
The official website for the original anime DVD adaptation of Kouji Seo's Kimi no Iru Machi manga revealed the anime's cast on Tuesday. The cast is as follows:

Yoshimasa Hosoya as Haruto Kirishima
Megumi Nakajima as Yuzuki Eba
Saori Hayami as Nanami Kanzaki
Nana Kouno as Akari Kaga
Toshiki Masuda as Takashi Yura
Aoi Yūki as Rin Eba

The limited edition of the manga's 17th volume will bundle the first DVD when it ships on March 16, and the limited edition of the 18th volume will bundle the second DVD when it ships on June 15.

Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve) is serving as chief director, while Hiroshi Kobayashi (Yozakura Quartet) is the director at Tatsunoko Productions. Momoko Murakami (Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream) is writing the script. Ryuusuke Chayama (Time of Eve) is designing the characters, and Akira Takata (Natsume Yūjin-Chō) is the chief animation director. Satoko Kimura (Yozakura Quartet) is the color key artist.

ranking? well from best to worst

Phi Brain
Gundam Age
Ben To
Guilty Crown
Bakuman 2
Kimi to Boku
Fate/Zero
Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2
Mirai Nikki
Persona 4 Animation
Hunter X Hunter

Simply watchable
C3
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere

Sengoku Basara Final

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Crazy finale! I don't even know how to verbalize my thoughts on this. Pure unadulterated badassery that's incredibly potent hotbloodedness questions whether I really ever enjoyed most anime I've seen at all before this. THAT is how awesome it is. The medium has never shined brighter than it has before.

Going to jump right into season 2 after doing some things.

Dresden said:
My rage is ready.

Madoka as troll sister.
5e9Mi.png

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
Steins;GAF 06: I can't tell if the focus of this show is the sci-fi or the moé.
Can't it be both? It's undeniably appealing to that demographic but the characters and plot are still well done. This is what elevates it above quite a lot of 'pandering' anime shows.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jexhius said:
Can't it be both? It's undeniably appealing to that demographic but the characters and plot are still well done. This is what elevates it above quite a lot of 'pandering' anime shows.
It's very entertaining and the protagonist is the type of character that is not often the focus in animu. I like it, but I wish it could tone down the cute factor a little bit. It's distracting.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Suddenly I'm interested.

You REALLY shouldn't be if the manga thread is anything to go by. Mediocre anime/manga happen all the time, but it takes a very special series to make so many people THAT angry.

Cwarrior

Dresden said:

Should of got Omigawa for maximum rage.

the pic on the side doesn't look like the manga(not sure if thats good or bad).

cosmicblizzard said:
You REALLY shouldn't be if the manga thread is anything to go by. Mediocre anime/manga happen all the time, but it takes a very special series to make so many people THAT angry.

I don't think you know who your talking to, he/she is hosannainexcelsis the same person who lived through orange road, this will be a cake walk for him/her.

cosmicblizzard said:
Oh, this is that manga, isn't it? Well, ever since watching Time of Eve I've really been looking forward to Yoshiura's next project, so I'll have to at least check it out. I'll just remember not to get emotionally involved.

Cwarrior said:
Should of got Omigawa for maximum rage.

the pic on the side doesn't look like the manga(not sure if thats good or bad).
I'd say bad because the only thing the manga has going for it is Seo Kouji's great art.

Memolu in the Pointed Hat - Marielle's Jewel Case
movie version of the first episodes of Tongari Boushi no Memoru
4kdB6.jpg
IviGw.jpg

Moe stuff from the Golden Age (1985), nice story with very cute characters.

Story is about Marielle, a lonely and sick litte girl, and Memule a magical gnome from outer space. Likeable characters, many adventures, I loved the anime as kid, I guess I will watch the anime again.

Ezalc

This new Last Exile keeps mentioning sky pirates which just reminds me of my want for a new Skies of Arcadia game. A want that may never be fulfilled. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

This is rather old, but still an interesting read about how the popularity of the Chihayafuru manga is causing a karuta craze to sweep the high schools of Japan.

Dripping in sweat, the combatants nurse their sprained and jammed fingers, some showing gouges on their hands carved by the fingernails of their adversaries.

The "kyogi karuta" culture club, has in a sense, become more like "fight club."

Ezalc

hosannainexcelsis said:
This is rather old, but still an interesting read about how the popularity of the Chihayafuru manga is causing a karuta craze to sweep the high schools of Japan.

Let's start our own Karuta club guys. After we all learn Japanese we'll meet back here to start working on the poems.

Steroyd

Ezalc said:
Let's start our own Karuta club guys. After we all learn Japanese we'll meet back here to start working on the poems.

We don't need to learn the whole Japaneese laguage, we just need to not fall asleep when karuta is being played in the anime.

Dresden

I'd just sharpen my nails and sand the edges with diamond dust. Then I'd claw their hands while pretending to reach out for cards until they forfeit.

I would rule the karuta world.

Gintama 232

2U9Th.jpg

Yep...

Nice to see a serious arc focusing on Elizabeth
and the Renho.
Could we finally see what he looks like without the suit? Also nice to see Sakamoto get a role in a serious arc. Maybe we'll finally see what he can do.

7Th

Branduil said:
Wait, they're not?

No, they're not. How could anyone think they're involved after watching such a bland, poorly framed PV? KyoAni is probably the only studio currently working in TV anime with a consistent visual standard.

gunbo13

cosmicblizzard said:
We hate everything.
hosannainexcelsis said:
Oh, this is that manga, isn't it? Well, ever since watching Time of Eve I've really been looking forward to Yoshiura's next project, so I'll have to at least check it out. I'll just remember not to get emotionally involved.
It's hard to get emotionally involved with a series without emotion. Unless you consider psychosis an emotion. Every character reaction should just have a derp SFX on all the panels.

Now that I'm done hating on a town where you derp, those are helpful lists. Chihayafuru is next on my queue and then I will have to think about the other mentioned ones. I'm kind of surprised josei is so watched. I didn't think many people watched them as they sort of have a similar feel to shoujo. And I see plenty of apprehension to shoujo. Maybe Princess Jellyfish converted some peeps or maybe Usagi, Eden of the East, or maybe I'm out of it.

-Minsc-

cosmicblizzard said:
Gintama 232

http://i.imgur.com/2U9Th.jpg IMG]

Yep...[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

[IMG]http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/Minsc007/GinTama/tumblr_lty3wgiFlE1qjk6mxo3_250.gif

---------------

Last Exile

A Black Falcon said:
Some questions? It makes no sense!

Now that's a good theory, and would indeed explain what's going on pretty well, as far as dates/peoples are concerned at least. That could be right.

However, I do still wonder about the technology -- the original show said that it was the Guild that kept the tech on the planet at that level, so no radio communications, etc. But... this places doesn't seem to have a Guild. Why is their tech level identical? It doesn't make sense, beyond "well it's Last Exile so it needs ot be the same". And that's not an explanation, really.

All I can say is Let it Be.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My Great Sailor Moon Escapade

At the constant requests of a certain fellow in here I started this series the other day. I really should have listened to him earlier. Never leads me astray!

Will basically post my really long thoughts on each episode, because I haven’t nothing better to do with my time.

Sailor Moon 01

5TfNQ.png

The first episode was fun stuff. Highlights start with Usagi and Luna meeting each other. An absolutely hilarious choice of music, trying to create a bit of uneasiness and mysteriousness for the scene. Only Luna isn't creepy at all, certainly not nearly on the same level as a Kyubey. It's too cute to be creepy!

SSX9y.png

Usagi really is a dumb girl. A 30 on your test? Open the books honey. But the way she gets so frustrated with her test, crumbling it up into a little ball was totally :cajun.

1EWrt.png

Keeping on with the creepy theme of the show the episode features the introduction of the super fabulous Jadeite and Queen Beryl and the hunt for the mysterious Penguindrum Phantom Silver Crystal in a really cool atmospheric segment, the difference between the general be happy tone of the show and the darkness of that had a really nice contrast. These scenes were really pretty yet at the same time effective at what was trying to be presented. Maybe everything won’t be so happy go lucky in this show!

The monster of the week segment of the episode was pretty weak but we get introduced to the amazing Jadeite theme song for the first time. This first episode is full of great tracks and his theme is one of them.

KlOaU.png

I don’t really like this- holy hell those are some really ugly shades you’re wearing there fellow. He’s a total jerk to Usagi and she obviously hates is already head over heels for him and just “doesn’t know it yet”. Looks like he’s supposed to be the bad boy love interest of the series, so he’s obviously going to score her at the end of this series and well probably well before that.

One of the most hokey parts of the show, the eye catch. The guys in the background going Sailaaaaaaaaaah Moooooooooooon is so freaking hilarious.

5KurW.png

Poor Usagi. Her good friend Umino ratted her sorry test score out. I’d feel bad for her, but a 30?!? Maybe she’ll actually try taking some notes next time. Umino did the right thing by going to her mom to let her know her daughter is a baka. Literally throwing your daughter of the house, that’s some old school 90’s parenting right there. Her little brother shows no respect to his big sis, but Usagi doesn’t seem like much of a big sister so it’s okay.

Got a huge laugh at the next scene here Usagi finally gets back into the house. She’s so tired from crying outside that she’s too tired to do homeork. What a vicious cycle! Poor girl is going to get another 30 on her next test. Usagi leaves her window open only for that devious cat to come in and bring the creepy to the max.

Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

And finally we get the first magical girl transformation. Really awesome transformation scene with a great piece of music to go along with it.

Into the first battle we go. Nice twist on the identity of this week’s baddy, directly makes stopping this threat relevant to Usagi giving her some incentive to not turn around and run, although she’s probably too stupid do that. Usagi’s tears being an attack is vicious, both of the baddies and for my ear drums. Her destructo disc attack is pretty sweet. Tuxedo Mask is introduced, and yeah he’s a total loser just like the guy is in real life. The track they use in the background is great too.

Ending song is okay, it harkens back to that late 80’s / early 90’s JPop stuff, but the OP is great stuff.

First episode through and loving it already. Looking the series up I honestly had no idea how many big names were involved with the show (Junichi Sato!), although a lot of the big names weren't all that big when this show aired. Can’t wait to see what I get from Ikuhara, hoping and expecting far more Utena than Penguindrum.

gunbo13

Articalys said:
The new promo image feels like everyone looks a lot different than in the manga.
Also the only names I recognize are Ranka as Yuzuki, and Madoka/Iris as Rin.
It looks very different and the art in derp town is one of the few things I don't have an issue with. Yet Suzuka looked pretty damn close to the manga despite being a bit more plain.

The easiest comparison is Kanzaki who is basically Suzuka. Yuzuki on the left, Kanzaki on the right.
DP2QK.jpg

Suzuka manga
T1RwN.jpg

Suzuka anime
ZGwP6.jpg

I don't know who the hell either of these girls are supposed to represent.
SfWXh.jpg

iammeiam

I have reached the halfway point of Steins;gate and am really surprised by how much the characters have grown on me. They're not all that complex, but they're very fleshed out and fun. Now that things look to be turning all SeriousBusiness, I'm actually kind of sad because it was pretty consistently funny for a while there. Hoping at least the science remains hilarious (
eating lots of vegetables while pregnant will totally make your male child a female!
)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The more I watch Ben-To, the more I realize I want a videogame of it. A brawler, obviously. :p

B.K. said:
2011 is almost over. What were the best series this year?

Finished picks
Usagi Drop
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
Hanasaku Iroha
Mayo Chiki (I know, odd choice. Brainless but well animated. To quote my older sister "Why is it THESE shows get the budgets??")

Likely to be here but technically not over and thereby have time to completely ruin it

Ben-To (unlikely to fail me)
Chihayafuru (seems unlikely thus far)
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Tsukunai (probable to fail)
iDOLM@STER (unlikely to fall)
Mawaru Penguindrum (I simply don't know)

jman2050

iammeiam said:
I have reached the halfway point of Steins;gate and am really surprised by how much the characters have grown on me. They're not all that complex, but they're very fleshed out and fun. Now that things look to be turning all SeriousBusiness, I'm actually kind of sad because it was pretty consistently funny for a while there. Hoping at least the science remains hilarious (
eating lots of vegetables while pregnant will totally make your male child a female!
)

I'm impressed because the more time that passes the more fond I become of the show.

The last few episodes are really quite impressive, but I'll let you see that for yourself :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom