• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

RurouniZel said:
Better yet, Streets of Rage!! :D

Hmm, while I wouldn't say no to more Streets of Rage I dunno if it'd lend itself well to Ben-to since fights usually take place in a single area. :p

gunbo13

Enron said:
has gaming side become the ot

has ot become gaming side

I AM SO CONFUSED
D8t5i.jpg

So where do we go from here?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Enron said:
has gaming side become the ot

has ot become gaming side

I AM SO CONFUSED

I see that the Rangers choking again has done irrevocable damage to you :(

I'm cheering for you to become unconfused!

Sailor Moon 02

Poor Umino. His crush on her is so pure, so innocent and so hopeless. He is what 99% of boys must have felt like at his age, the girl you love has already had her heart taken by a guy, or in her case TWO GUYS, that harlot. I'm rooting for you little man but you're already dead.

The other love interest is the "good guy" to that loser bad guy from last episode. This guy is so kind to her, such a sweet heart and the romantic scene at the arcade is sweet. This guy is so nice though, must be a red herring. He will either end up dead or more than likely he's really just a bad guy messing with the poor girl.

Speaking of the really obnoxious guy I wish that shoe knocked him out. Usagi should have thrown at him like he was Dubya. Usagi's reaction faces during this scene were fantastic, this is true moe.

The battle against the Youma was the weakest part of the episode yet again. Tuxedo Mask is such a useless tool, I really hope that is literally not the ONLY thing he does in fights. It's utterly ridiculous.

iavi

vlcsnap-2011-11-02-19h31m01s192.png

Bastard 2

What's the only thing stronger than an 400 years old, all powerful fire wizard? A naked 400 years old, all-powerful fire wizard, of course. Schlong comes out, power level goes up by 200%, as does the lust in a room. Have you ever gotten off while thrown over someone's shoulder?

NewFresh

darkside31337 said:
Sailor Moon 02

Poor Umino. His crush on her is so pure, so innocent and so hopeless. He is what 99% of boys must have felt like at his age, the girl you love has already had her heart taken by a guy, or in her case TWO GUYS, that harlot. I'm rooting for you little man but you're already dead.

Note to Umino: Don't take advice from Naru

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Reknoc said:
Hmm, while I wouldn't say no to more Streets of Rage I dunno if it'd lend itself well to Ben-to since fights usually take place in a single area. :p

For me it's moreso the idea that instead of a 1 on 1 fighting game I'd want a 1 vs. many style game.

Anyhoo, yes, anime. Back to talking about anime. Um... damn it now I can't think of anything.

B.K. said:
2011 is almost over. What were the best series this year?

Stuff I've loved from this year:
Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kaiji S2
Dororon Enma-Kun Meramera
Toriko
Mirai Nikki

Stuff I've liked from this year:
Yumekui Merry
[C]: The Money of Soul and Possibility
Sket Dance (24 and 25 in the love category)
Deadman Wonderland
Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san
Blue Exorcist
Blood C
Usagi Drop
Sacred Seven
Guilty Crown
Fate/Zero
Hunter x Hunter

YMMV of course. I don't exactly hold the most popular opinion in here.

Ezalc

Queen's Boobies Blade Rebellion OVA 1
I didn't understand a single word that was said but one thing I know. Hot blonde elf women make everything better. Goddamn.

iavi

vlcsnap-2011-11-02-20h02m27s73.png

Bastard 3

Fabulous as fuck. In this ep, I got a little backstory, it's not like I wanted it though. Me, I just wanted to see dudes fuck each other up while saying incredibly narcissistic shit. I did get that.

Instro

B.K. said:
Looking at what everyone seemed to enjoy the most this year I'd say its(in no particular order):

Penguin Drum
Wandering Son
Madoka
Usagi Drop
Stein's Gate
Hansaku Iroha
Fate/Zero (so far)
Chihayafuru (so far)
Kaiji S2
Idolm@ster...I think

A couple others that were/are personal favorites of mine:

Nichijou
Tamayura
Ikkoko Meiro Croisee

Not so good shows with awesome action:

Sacred Seven
Blood-C

Other fun junk:

Working S2
Squid Girl
Yuru Yuri

Redline is a must watch movie if you haven't seen it already.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sailor Moon 03

Oh man sick an episode involving the Midnight Channel Zero. Good stuff.

Well thats a new spiffy power Usagi has there. Too bad its kind of useless since she's too dumb to properly use it.

Jadeite's theme got even more funky. That track at the end of the episode is so good. There are no words to describe how awesome that was. Poor Usagi got utterly wrecked by the great Jadeite-sama. A guy with a track that awesome playing in the background deserved to do at least that much.

Her pouty face when Jadeite just no-selled all her attacks was great. So hnnnnnng.

But then that bum Tuxedo Mask had to ruin it all and doing it in his usual completely lame fashion. Jadeite backing off there is so stupid. All Tuxedo Mask did was THROW A ROSE and Jadeite runs away like a coward. Why? Literally makes no sense. Sailor Moon defeated 3 of his Youma in 3 episodes straight yet he had no problems deciding to go toe to toe with her. Guy flings a rose at him and its time to bail. What?

I'm not sure who I hate more at this point, Tuxedo Mask or the actual real life person. The actual guy was even more insufferable in this episode than the previous 2, being such a jerk to poor Usagi. No she was not talking to the telephone pole and no you are not funny.

Naru trying to read her love letter she wrote in front of the entire class? Usagi needs to get some better friends :(

A good episode but not as good as the first two.

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
It's very entertaining and the protagonist is the type of character that is not often the focus in animu. I like it, but I wish it could tone down the cute factor a little bit. It's distracting.
I won't disagree, although I found the bad direction and editing far more distracting. Just think of it as a cultural artefact!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sailor Moon 04:

Yeah, Usagi is not chubby at all. This episode's premise is completely dumb and ridiculous at the same time. Her actual friend who is chubby complaining about her woes was pretty hilarious though. The other girls are vicious but chubby girl got her payback.

Umino is a total pervert. Truly living the life of a real teenage boy, having the hots for his teacher is one thing but to stalk her and take pictures of her? That's some level of devotion / criminal behavior.

The line by Naru about how nothing is cheaper than free followed by the he's so evil turn all the lights off in the room Jadeite's line about how nothing is more costly than something that is free was great.

Jadeite in his gym outfit is utterly fabulous. This is a guy the girls should truly go head over heels for, I can hardly contain myself. Yes girls just step into these chamber pods for 5 minutes or so. This is not suspicious at all, don't think twice about it! It will help you lose weight, jump in! Maybe it's just me but Jadeite might just happen to be a sexist.

Usagi is totally delusional when she's hungry. No wonder why she eats all the time! Motoki onii-san is a true player, he knows how to get down with the women and knows what he's looking for, even Luna is in awe of his game. A total contrast to Tuxedo Mask who manages to step up his douchebaggery jerk holier than though smugness even more this episode.

Usagi running into the trap even after Luna revealed the big secret. She really did study hard for that 30 on her test in the first episode. Again Jadeite inexplicably bails out on a fight where he could have just finished off Sailor Moon. Maybe he was just getting sick of Tuxedo Mask too. She really is that stupid too, Luna has to point everything out to her.

Still really like this show but am hoping they get around to introducing some of the other cast sooner rather than later.

Jex

B.K. said:
In order of quality (I've seen more shows than this, but most aren't worth nothing)
Wandering Son
Usagi Drop
Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san
Kaiji II
Level E
Steins;Gate
Hanasaku Iroha
Natsume's Book of Friends

Still Airing and Therefore Uncertain
Mawaru-Penguindrum
Chihayafuru

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
2bqMX.jpg

FUCK YEAH MAMI
Jexhius said:
I won't disagree, although I found the bad direction and editing far more distracting. Just think of it as a cultural artefact!
I think of it as an ugly video game. The presentation might be subpar, but the actual mechanics (well, the plot) is too fun to pass.

Mature

Jexhius said:
In order of quality (I've seen more shows than this, but most aren't worth nothing)
Wandering Son
Usagi Drop
Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san
Kaiji II
Level E
Steins;Gate
Hanasaku Iroha
Natsume's Book of Friends

Still Airing and Therefore Uncertain
Mawaru-Penguindrum
Chihayafuru
How come I don't see more people mention Level-E? I've seen maybe the first 6 or 7 episodes, but they were all fantastic.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chihayafuru 01: The only way this would be more XTREEM is if they played karuta while on motorcycles.

The animation is gorgeous and the music is a joy to listen. The premise is heartwarming as fuck too. Why wasn't I watching this before?

Chihayafuru 02: So much shounen no haato. I hated when kids stole my glasses in school, so this hit me bad. :'(

wonzo

Banned
Mature said:
How come I don't see more people mention Level-E? I've seen maybe the first 6 or 7 episodes, but they were all fantastic.
it's quality kinda tapers off towards the end but yeah it's easily one of the best shows of the year

neoanarch

wonzo said:
it's quality kinda tapers off towards the end but yeah it's easily one of the best shows of the year

I actually think the end is much better than the beginning or middle. But yes brilliant show. I also remember it being quite popular while it was airing.

Any word on the final chapter that wasn't animated? Was it released as an OVA by chance?

Jex

Mature said:
Well there wasn't a lot of people watching it when it was airing but most people in here seemed to think it was pretty good. However, if you're looking back on the year as a whole it might not 'stand out'.

B.K. said:
Madoka
Penguindrum
Nichijou
Hanasaku Iroha
Mirai Nikki
Usagi Drop

Those are my top picks overall (In descending order), but I didn't watch everything.... and I never finished Usagi. I might consider adding Ben To to the list but still too early to know for sure.

Articalys

Just did a quick survey of my list and found there were 15 shows I watched in their entirety that finished airing in 2011, and 12 shows I'm currently watching that are currently airing, a few more than I thought on both accounts.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Chihayafuru 03: Tears have been shed. Oh God this is too much for my heart.

Chihayafuru 04: Chihaya eating chocolate is so fucking adorable. The time-skip only made her more moé.

mAcOdIn

List time:

My list is divided into 4 sections

Shit I look forward to:
Ben-to

Shit that's watchable and I occasionally enjoy a moment or episode of and generally try and catch:
Shinryaku!? Ika Musume
Working'!!
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

Shit that I was able to finish a whole episode or two of but nevertheless dropped because it sucked:

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
Persona 4 the Animation
Un-Go
Guilty Crown

Now the final tier is reserved for shows that were so bad I could not even make it through the entire first episode:
Fate/Zero
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing

Normally I would have a fifth tier in the middle of stuff I watched and felt was neither good or bad but of everything I watched so far this season nothing landed there so I omitted it.

wonzo

Banned
i cant be bothered ranking the shows of 2011 until they've finished airing so i'll just list what i'm watching this season

so far so good:

Chihayafuru
Tamayura ~hitotose~
Ben-to
Working'!!
Squid Girl 2

what i'll probably drop:

Guilty Crown
Hunter x Hunter 2011
Mirai Nikki

shit i've dropped:

Persona 4

i might pickup Fate/Zero and Boku no picofriends, cant be bothered with last exile 2 as i have yet to watch the first one (that and it's by gonzo lol)

Articalys

Sket Dance 31

That was alright; a good number of moments through the whole episode, though the first part was way funnier than the second. Also this is apparently part of that vague Sket Dance x Bakuman crossover? I guess I need to watch the latest Bakuman episode too?

Next week is just some of those silly alternate setting stories; hopefully we'll get another of the bigger arcs soon.

Articalys said:
Sket Dance 31

That was alright; a good number of moments through the whole episode, though the first part was way funnier than the second. Also this is apparently part of that vague Sket Dance x Bakuman crossover? I guess I need to watch the latest Bakuman episode too?

Next week is just some of those silly alternate setting stories; hopefully we'll get another of the bigger arcs soon.

The Bakuman epiosde only had like a near two minute portion mentioning Sket Dance on the recent episode, simply,
Miho just voicing a character in the Sket Dance anime, and the Saiko Shujin Azuki and the other characters watching it

Articalys

Dedication Through Light said:
The Bakuman epiosde only had like a near two minute portion mentioning Sket Dance on the recent episode, simply,
Miho just voicing a character in the Sket Dance anime, and the Saiko Shujin Azuki and the other characters watching it
Ah yeah, I just watched it. So I guess the full joke of the crossover is that
Saori Hayami, who voices Miho in Bakuman, also voiced a bit part in this week's Sket Dance (which was in fact a role added just for the anime version), which was framed in-story in Bakuman as Miho voicing a bit part in the Sket Dance anime.
Not bad!

By the way, did anyone ever explain why they can't use the proper name of Jump in the anime version of Bakuman and have to call it Jack instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom