• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Where's my 7th? Shit just got real. The latest guest illustration on the Idolmaster anime site is by Yoh Yoshinari!

http://www.idolmaster-anime.jp/illust/index.html

illust16.jpg

I was sleeping. Everything cool happens when I'm sleeping.

Grzi

How is it possible that Guilty Crown has such consistently amazing animation quality. I don't get it. Hope it doesn't take a nosedive like it did in Blue Exorcist around the halfway mark.

mAcOdIn

How is it possible that Guilty Crown has such consistently amazing animation quality. I don't get it. Hope it doesn't take a nosedive like it did in Blue Exorcist around the halfway mark.
Probably because they have the writers helping out instead of writing.

Steroyd

Toriko - 34

Hot damn best episode so far, the level of brutality was crazy, only downside is taking modern day shounen censorship on the chin.

Jex

You're just bitter that it isn't cliched enough for you to predict every turn and that character progression is handled in a nonlinear manner! Harrumph!
Son, I have seen comical amounts of flying rose petals in my day, and that ain't nothing by comparison.
I was gonna laugh at this, but truly, you are correct. Between the Sailor Moon R Movie
and the Utena Movie I've seen enough flying rose petals to last me a laugh time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roujin-Z Blu-Ray trailer (French) http://www.catsuka.com/news/2011-11-25/roujin-z-en-bluray-bande-annonce-hd-le-22-fevrier-chez-kaze

Man, I wish I could get catsuka in English. It easily seems like one of the more interesting sites to get information about animation. Just looking at their news section I see stuff about La Maison en petits Cubes, an interview about Colorful, the aforementioned Roujin-Z trailer etc. Ah well, google translate will have to suffice.

Jex

K-ON!, aka The Salvation of the Anime Industry 02:
[....]
[*]Why would anyone pay money to count how many cars or pedestrians pass by? I've never heard of a job like that.

Well, if you want to count traffic you generally lay those contraptions down over the road to measure how many cars are travelling in that area, but I guess if you don't have one of them then high-school girls are the alternative.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Surveying. You need to gather information on how roads are used somehow. People sitting on the side of the road counting is the traditional way to do it, but other methods are more common now like just laying down a pneumatic tube across the road and counting depressions.
Well, if you want to count traffic you generally lay those contraptions down over the road to measure how many cars are travelling in that area, but I guess if you don't have one of them then high-school girls are the alternative.
Red-light cameras sound to be far more efficient for such a job, as well as the added factor of the constant threat to drivers bypassing the law.

Jex

33k for the first volume of Persona 4 is a really good start. Definitely one of the heavyweights this season as expected. The Persona brand is strong.

This pretty much justifies it being a piece of crap, if it sells well anyway, just shove it out there!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mawaru Penguin Drum 10
And yet another connection that someone said don't read into came through. Seriously? If you people want to misdirect me, I'd suggest bombarding me with your theories up until episode 10. Interesting enough episode, even if it was for the most part by the numbers. I'm interested in seeing what it sets up since there didn't seem to be much additional development on Ringo's side, and this is a time most fertile for that. At least Kanba got something. Now onto 11~

Branduil

Mawaru Penguin Drum 10
And yet another connection that someone said don't read into came through. Seriously? If you people want to misdirect me, I'd suggest bombarding me with your theories up until episode 10. Interesting enough episode, even if it was for the most part by the numbers. I'm interested in seeing what it sets up since there didn't seem to be much additional development on Ringo's side, and this is a time most fertile for that. At least Kanba got something. Now onto 11~

We could bombard you with our theories on the whole series so far and you still wouldn't know what's going on.

I'm the only one who would die for an anime with a cute and healthy girl like Rihoko Sakurai?

It's a shame, that she is the only one
with a friendzone ending

Jex

In other to push mainstream merchandising to have worthwhile sales at all, a show first needs to be popular and a known brand. If a show airs at 3am, has shit ratings, isn't really targeted at any demographic, and the DVD/BD sales bomb, the change of merchandising making any money is pretty low.

Why do you have to lay out harsh truths, duckroll? Do you enjoy crushing other people's hopes and dreams?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Guilty Crown 07
I know this show is dumb and everything, but the easy drunk mom incest stuff and Dan Eagleman the American soldier are just offensively awful.

hellclerk

We could bombard you with our theories on the whole series so far and you still wouldn't know what's going on.

Oh, I'm sure, but knowing exactly what's going on I don't think is the point. It's more the journey to understanding what's going on.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 11

X9ipzl.jpg

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRREEEEEEEEESSSS JOHNNY!

but yeah, better development episode, though I kinda feel like it took the easy way out with Yuri's Moanish Lady routine. And about now I get the impression things are going to get stupid.
The setup for the plot twist at the end of the episode is something of a stretch there. It either means there's some bullshit concerning this previous unknown "accident" that they're somehow connected or their connection is mundane and it would be unreasonable for them to have anything to do with it or its consequences.
Either way it ends up being just a bit contrived. I'll see what happens next episode, but who knows.

Jex

What? Guilty Crown and "amazing animation quality" in the same sentence?

Perhaps it's similar to the 'beyond movie level animation' found in the latest Tails videogame?

Still, it's hardly unusual to see really well animated sequences in shows with reasonable budgets, especially when something like Guitly Crown has an excuse for the odd action sequence. It's hardly surprising!
Oh, I'm sure, but knowing exactly what's going on I don't think is the point. It's more the journey to understanding what's going on.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 11
[...]Either way it ends up being just a bit contrived. I'll see what happens next episode, but who knows.

I do.

Dresden

Guilty Crown 07
I know this show is dumb and everything, but the easy drunk mom incest stuff and Dan Eagleman the American soldier are just offensively awful.

There's something really unpleasant about the show. It goes beyond the usual harem/moe garbage - what's intended to be humorous are just in really bad taste most of the time.

Instro

Toriko - 34

Hot damn best episode so far, the level of brutality was crazy, only downside is taking modern day shounen censorship on the chin.

Ah shit get hype, looking forward to this ep. The battles over the last few have been pretty great.

Remember Real Drive for its awesome op, ed, and fat women. Nothing else.

Yeah I only ever watched the first 2 episodes or so. I think I might go back to it eventually to see what happens to all the fat girls.

hellclerk

Of course you do, you've seen it, and now, so have I

Mawaru Penguin Drum 12
And I was right, it WAS stupid. Provided,
"OUR PARENTS ARE TERRORISTS!" isn't really a plot point you see very often, they're actual involvement and responsibility is of course completely non-existent. Sins of the father and all that. Interesting considering how built up and upstanding those parents were made to be in previous episodes though. Himari dying I don't think can really be permanent, but hey, they might just do it since their narrative direction isn't really particularly established by formula. Their development is, but actual direction is consistent, but with many blind corners.
Let's see how it continues. There's a bit of a slippery slope with the episodes getting more conventional, but that doesn't negate the better, unconventional episodes either.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There's something really unpleasant about the show. It goes beyond the usual harem/moe garbage - what's intended to be humorous are just in really bad taste most of the time.
The whole "is everyone in the army gay?" stuff never helps.

Jex

I'm never sure if your misspellings are accidental or a deliberate, subtle manner of displaying your disdain.

People need to be kept on their toes. Plus it shows that people are actually reading my posts!

Do you have any theories about how Guilty Crown achieves this?

As you may well be aware, lots of anime television series are filled with lowest common denominator garbage. Specific character types, designs, interactions and erotic fanservice are abundant in certain types of shows. Yet, most of the time, it comes off as just silly or stupid..You can laugh about it, like the ridiculous, over-exaggerated fanservice in HSOTD.

Yet, somehow, Guilty Crown makes me feel uncomfortable. There's something creepy about it.

Branduil

People need to be kept on their toes. Plus it shows that people are actually reading my posts!

Do you have any theories about how Guilty Crown achieves this?

As you may well be aware, lots of anime television series are filled with lowest common denominator garbage. Specific character types, designs, interactions and erotic fanservice are abundant in certain types of shows. Yet, most of the time, it comes off as just silly or stupid..You can laugh about it, like the ridiculous, over-exaggerated fanservice in HSOTD.

Yet, somehow, Guilty Crown makes me feel uncomfortable. There's something creepy about it.

It's because it hates its audience. Not like the pointed, deliberate hatred of Blood-C either, but rather an apathetic, exploitive, casual hatred. Even dumb crap like Infinite Stratos doesn't seem as bad because it seems like the creators are just incompetent, and they enjoy the crap themselves. There's no love in Guilty Crown except for money.

Dresden

Well, there's that, dunno. I was thinking about the premise of the show itself, which is set up around this theme of exploitation, how Shoe is supposed to learn to . . . use others? But then the offensive fanservice stuff isn't even centered around that, for the most part, with the exception of episode 3.

LegatoB

Guilty Crown 07

I don't understand how anyone can hate a caricature as masterful as Dan Eagleman! Especially with how he humiliates the serious bad guy characters like Kill-'em-All Daryl and that smug guy. In fact, (the second half of) Guilty Crown 07 is probably the only (part of an) episode of the series that is actually entertaining for the reasons the producers intended. We should be celebrating the upswing of the series as it hits its stride!

Jex

Well, there's that, dunno. I was thinking about the premise of the show itself, which is set up around this theme of exploitation, how Shoe is supposed to learn to . . . use others? But then the offensive fanservice stuff isn't even centered around that, for the most part, with the exception of episode 3.

Is there anything wrong with learning valuable life lessons through anime? Also, I doubt the creators of Guilty Crown put much effort into considering what kind of moral lesson the show is teaching to it's audience.

With regards to the fanservice, I find it disturbing how the show sets up it's school environment in a rather plain, grounded manner and how this conflicts with all the 'wacky' fanservice-events that take place. The way the show just laughs them off comes across as creepy.

Instro

Toriko 34

That was ridiculously awesome. Without the censorship that would have been truly brutal, but the smoke effects were a good way to go about it rather than say putting up white/black bars on the screen or something.
God damn at that first 12 Kugi Punch. The face he made just before, the bulging back muscles, the bum rush through all the bullets, losing his fucking hand and then basically saying "fuck it I'm gonna punch you anyway", shiiiit. Tommyrod beefing up halfway through was classic, Toriko knew he was fucked. I like that even after pulling off two new techniques at the end, he still lost. Those were some beastly legs though.

So manly. Even if you haven't been watching the show, you should check out this episode just because its pretty damn cool shounen stuff.

I'm enjoying Mashiro Symphony.

Guh...

Dat harem.

hellclerk

Mawaru Penguindrum 13
Interesting progression of themes we have here. Ringo inversely mirroring Kanba in how
she's moving on with herself while Kanba is going down on a spiral makes for an interesting narrative foil, though this whole Terrorist twist was bound to create some dumb WOE IS ME drama, it does put some scenes into context and explains their pathology within their conflict between fate being cruel and wanting better.

The pacing is still the thing that reveals the weaknesses of the show though. I get the impression that if they really wanted to, this could be compressed into a half-season, and cut out alot of the slow, empty fat. It's strange though. I think this is the first show I've seen that I'm always in a sort of "wait and see" approach, and for a different reason almost every episode.

Mawaru Penguindrum 13
Interesting progression of themes we have here. Ringo inversely mirroring Ranba in how
she's moving on with herself while Ranba is going down on a spiral makes for an interesting narrative foil, though this whole Terrorist twist was bound to create some dumb WOE IS ME drama, it does put some scenes into context and explains their pathology within their conflict between fate being cruel and wanting better.

Who the fuck is Ranba?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom