• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't understand how anyone can hate a caricature as masterful as Dan Eagleman! Especially with how he humiliates the serious bad guy characters like Kill-'em-All Daryl and that smug guy. In fact, (the second half of) Guilty Crown 07 is probably the only (part of an) episode of the series that is actually entertaining for the reasons the producers intended. We should be celebrating the upswing of the series as it hits its stride!
I like Waltz of the Flowers as much as anyone else, but the whole "classical music set to an action scene with no tension" is a tired convention I could do without.

Branduil

You don't even have to think Zelda looks great to realize Skyrim has mediocre art direction, along with the typical terrible Bethesda character "designs" and janky animations. Not to say it can't still be a fun game.

uT0RE.gif

opening and ending are soooo brumbrum

http://youtu.be/9tPgLq2xfTo
http://youtu.be/0BsidI3DcY8

iavi

You don't even have to think Zelda looks great to realize Skyrim has mediocre art direction, along with the typical terrible Bethesda character "designs" and janky animations. Not to say it can't still be a fun game.

Lol. Branduil, your monocle card is showing. I say Skyrim has none of that but Bethseda's janky animation, no contest, but to the point it's come in Skyrim, vs say Oblivion, Skywards animation, during the game, isn't much, if at all, better. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Branduil

Lol. Branduil, your monocle card is showing. I say Skyrim has none of that but Bethseda's janky animation, no contest, but to the point it's come in Skyrim, vs say Oblivion, Skywards animation, during the game, isn't much, if at all, better. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Skyrim's art is a clear improvement over Oblivion, but that's only saying so much. 99% of characters are still ugly and unmemorable, and the environments are pretty bland.

Gameplay-wise you can prefer either game, but there's not really any question that Zelda has a much more coherent and better realized visual look, regardless of the technical gap.

iavi

Skyrim's art is a clear improvement over Oblivion, but that's only saying so much. 99% of characters are still ugly and unmemorable, and the environments are pretty bland.

Gameplay-wise you can prefer either game, but there's not really any question that Zelda has a much more coherent and better realized visual look, regardless of the technical gap.

Really, it's a matter of preference in everything, and in this case, even more so since their art directions aren't all that comparable. Cartoonish character designs + watercolor filter to, ultimately hide the aging hardware's shortcomings and, give the illusion of draw distance doesn't at all mean that Skyward has an inherent quality to it that Skyrim lacks, just because it's art goes against your particular taste, and has more in line with the 'western' aesthetics of The Witcher, or even Dragon Age. Those being the closest parallels that I can think of.

And to clarify my whole stance on the matter, since I kind of jumped into the whole ordeal, I love Skyward's art, but even still, personally find what Bethseda was able to manage--a huge, beautiful, artistically coherent, open space--in Skyrim to be much more impressive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru 9

Damn, Arata just owned the shit outta Taichi. Well played.
Taichi is owning himself, really. I mean, they're making him out to be such an asshole that all the guys on the show seem to be better than him.

Of course, I'm sure he'll have an emo blowup with his mom and then suddenly he'll be appealing again. :p

Branduil

Really, it's a matter of preference in everything, and in this case, even more so since their art directions aren't all that comparable. Cartoonish character designs + watercolor filter to, ultimately hide the aging hardware's shortcomings and, give the illusion of draw distance doesn't at all mean that Skyward has an inherent quality to it that Skyrim lacks, just because it's art goes against your particular taste, and has more in line with the 'western' aesthetics of The Witcher, or even Dragon Age. Those being the closest parallels that I can think of.

And to clarify my whole stance on the matter, since I kind of jumped into the whole ordeal, I love Skyward's art, but even still, personally find what Bethseda was able to manage--a huge, beautiful, artistically coherent, open space--in Skyrim to be much more impressive.

It doesn't have anything to do with westerns aesthetics versus eastern ones. Games like The Witcher and Portal 2 look great with great art direction. Skyrim just isn't on the same level, for a number of reasons.

Also, Gainax sucks a whole lot.

e_i

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere Episode 9

Kimi is more frightening than any terrorist. Scary as hell, she is.

Future Diary Episode 8

Brown girls are best.

trejo

Ben-to 8

While lesbian twins are always appreciated, I feel this is one of the weakest episodes so far. It's starting to feel a lot more formulaic and a lot less hilariously self-aware.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
iDOLM@STER 21: I like the subtle adjustment to the OP animation during the Chihaya part. ^^; The episode is mostly about the fallout between Kuroi and Jupiter, which I'm not putting behind spoiler tags because really, they've been building up to this for a while now. What DID surprise me was when
the 765 president takes Producer and all the idols to a piano bar, where once seated and the previously playing song ends, the lights dim, and out walks Otonashi-san in a nice little classy dress and sings beautifully! Apparently she wanted to be an idol at one point but then just decided she had other things she preferred to do. She still loves singing though, thus the bar gig.

Overall, not particularly exciting, but cute and nice all the same. ^_^

zeroshiki

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD OVER IT.

HURR DURR.

I read something a few months ago... that in Japanese internet parlance, there's a new word (Mamiru or "to Mami") which is defined as (Madoka ep 3 spoilers)
to die in horrible ways

I got a kick out of that.

trejo

Mirai Nikki 6

The hell is wrong with Yukiteru? "Worst day ever" my ass.

I really wish they'd lay off the eye thing already. I've no problem with body parts flying every which way but anything to do with eyes grosses me out for some reason and the effect is only amplified when dealing with gigantic animu eyes.

PdotMichael said:
I'm into healthy girls that's just cute... I guess

Soon you'll start to get bored by just cute and you'll need your waifus to be broken in some way or another. Or so I'm told.

Ezalc

Well I caught up with Working!!@#$%^&*][><| and I have to agree that Souma and Yamada are my favorite characters. Though Sato is pretty cool as well. As for the others, I already don't like Yukiho in Im@s so that hasn't changed, the main guy is basically Japan in a nutshell, the boss is boring but hot, the chief is also kind of dull but still hot, Popura is funny because I have a friend who I'm sure I'd treat the exact same way if we worked together too bad she's on another continent. I really enjoy the show's art and animation it looks really good a lot of the times, and as for the humor there have been times where I actually laughed at some of the happenings instead of the usual chuckle or whatever. I guess I'll continue to follow this. I heard season 1 wasn't as good as this one, should I check it out or is it better not to bother?

trejo

Persona 4: The Animation episode 8

The only reason I watched this one is because the camping trip was one of my favorite parts of the game. It was actually pretty good and Charlie being a jerk never gets old. One thing that took me by surprise was Kanji's VA since I found out I vastly prefer his english voice over this one. That very rarely happens.

Another thing that was cemented for me by this episode was that, as also evidenced by Seto no Hanayome and very select parts of Angel Beats, Seiji Kishi's strengths are solely confined to the realm of the silly and comedical. It's whenever he tries to stray even slightly from this that things invariably take a turn for the worse. It was also impossible not to notice that this episode had much cleaner and smoother animation than all the previous episodes I watched. I can only hope they can at least keep this level of polish going forward.

I heard season 1 wasn't as good as this one, should I check it out or is it better not to bother?

I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom