• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Princeton is a great offense. When you have guys that are smart enough to run it it is fun to watch. The Kings ran it and it was beautiful watching Divac and CWebb feeding shooters and cutters all game.

The whole TNT crew just trashed the O. It's a waste of Nash and Dwight to not run the offense through them.

cacophony

ernieshaq.gif

The Princeton is a great offense. When you have guys that are smart enough to run it it is fun to watch. The Kings ran it and it was beautiful watching Divac and CWebb feeding shooters and cutters all game.

Yeah but Bibby and BJack were glorified shooting guards. Also they didn't win shit either.

That shit doesn't work anymore in today's league either way.

They have Nash..so going to an offense where he is basically a spot up shooter is fucking stupid.

This is alot of my hatred for Eddie Jordan (as a coach...nice guy IIRC) but yeah this offense is assssssss

Over reaction from one half of offense is hilarious.

Lakers would be up if they made a decent ft percentage. Lazy tos hurt too.

Poor defensive rebounding is why they haven't take. A lot of shots.

The offense has been a mess all preseason and previous season. Brown can't coach an O.

Why Nash isn't dominating the ball...I don't know. It was evident in pre season that every was tentative or something Brown needs to go.

charsace

The whole TNT crew just trashed the O. It's a waste of Nash and Dwight to not run the offense through them.
The Princeton is about being smarter and outworking your opponent. It supposed to give less athletically gifted teams a chance. You're supposed to run the break when you can in the Princeton since pushing the pace counts as outworking your opponent.

Yeah but Bibby and BJack were glorified shooting guards. Also they didn't win shit either.

That shit doesn't work anymore in today's league either way.

They have Nash..so going to an offense where he is basically a spot up shooter is fucking stupid.

This is alot of my hatred for Eddie Jordan (as a coach...nice guy IIRC) but yeah this offense is assssssss
That Kings team got straight up robbed when they met up with the Lakers.

Chuck telling the truth. Lakers should push the ball way more. They have bigs that are made for it.

You guys realize...

1) Steve Nash is 50
2) Pau is a center playing PF
3) Dwight Howard is recovering from back surgery
4) World Peace kills the offense

I'm not defending the Princeton offense, but expecting this old ass starting five of the Lakers to run the floor in the first real game of the season is unrealistic.

The missed free throws and the turnovers bug me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy more than anything the TNT crew brought up.

Isn't the true Princeton offense build to cover for players who don't have talent (or extreme quickness)? Because players are constantly in motion you're not dependent on that super star to create for others or blow by anyone.

You guys realize...

1) Steve Nash is 50
2) Pau is a center playing PF
3) Dwight Howard is recovering from back surgery
4) World Peace kills the offense

I'm not defending the Princeton offense, but expecting this old ass starting five of the Lakers to run the floor in the first real game of the season is unrealistic.

The missed free throws and the turnovers bug me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy more than anything the TNT crew brought up.

I think Nash would love to run when he's out on the floor. he cant do it the whole game, but when he's on the floor? oh you know he wants to put that pedal down.

charsace

Isn't the true Princeton offense build to cover for players who don't have talent (or extreme quickness)? Because players are constantly in motion you're not dependent on that super star to create for others or blow by anyone.

Yes. Its about basketball iq and outworking your opponent. That's the philosophy behind it. So running on the break would fit in with outworking your opponent. They aren't doing that though.

It also covers for not having a true point guard.

That's why the Sixers ran it......and yet we failed miserabally.

It takes too long for plays to develop and it becomes predictable...and even if it does work.

THE LAKERS HAVE STEVE FUCKING NASH.

You don't need the Princeton offense with him. Whether he's 80 or not doesn't matter. I get taking some plays from it or running it occasionally. but all de time? is just dumb.

it's like having an option-offense in the NFL.

A'int nobody got time for that.

Pkaz01

This reminds me of the short time where terry porter took over the suns and completely fucked up the suns by playing halfcourt. It won't work with nash, ever.

and what is mike brown there for? i get that he cant coach offense but their defense has been shit too.

yea yea working out the kinks, new team, all that bullshit but look at the talent on that starting 5 its not like this mavs team has been playing for years either.

giri

The true princeton... there is no real such thing as it has tons of sets that do what you say, and also has lots of clean shots for shooters, but also has sets for guys who can just turn on the jets and slash to the rim off a screen.

NBA teams tend to just run the sets that are specific to their players.

Pimpwerx

I was promised the Lakers running a train on the league, and all I'm seeing is an average effort against a bad Mavs squad. I am disappoint. PEACE.

Lakers shooting 55%. OH MY GOD THE OFFENSE SUCKS!!!

They are shooting 55% and only have 46 points (with Nash, Howard, Pau and Kobe). I do think that a lot of the complaints are a little sky is falling, but the TNT crew do bring up some points. I hope that as the season progresses we will see more of Nash and Dwight getting a greater role in the offense.

They are shooting 55% and only have 46 points (with Nash, Howard, Pau and Kobe). I do think that a lot of the complaints are a little sky is falling, but the TNT crew do bring up some points. I hope that as the season progresses we will see more of Nash and Dwight getting a greater role in the offense.
6/14 ft

Turnovers dribbling up court

charsace

In theory the Lakers would be unstoppable if they could run the Princeton like a well oiled machine. They would just be attacking teams from so many places that they would be hard to cover.

Artest probably has to go though.

Of course it is early..so maybe they can get it too work.

I'd cut back on it a bit tho..more P&Rs IMO.

I just really dislike the princeton offense so don't mind my slight rage over it.

A lot of the panic also have to do with most expecting Dallas to be complete booty juice...myself included.

I like this roster in spots.

Except Vince....he just makes my soul hurt. Not like this bro.

giri

I think it's part overreaction mixed in with some truth, but the truth part of it (Nash and Howard not looking comfortable in the offense) is something that is natural in the 1st game of the season.

The biggest thing is, that this team basically never really practiced together.

And with Dwight coming back from Back Surgery... he's not going to be him self for 15 games as he feels his way back to some sort of confidence.

This may sound harsh/dumb, but they really should simplify their shit for the first 30 games, and just have it as a Dwight / Nash PnR offense with Kobe as the shooter/slashing option, and build from there.

Top Bottom