• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT| Tanks for the Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
My God. Mike Wilbon can't go more than 30 seconds without namedropping. "I saw Isiah Thomas first play when he was 14 years old." "I just texted Jeff Van Gundy."

demigod

Doc is an idiot, he tried to justify that bump because he *thought* the ref turned around. Rondo might've tripped but that was clearly a chest bump.

Duki

Banned
Do you think the Lakers could come back from 27 down on the road against the Grizzlies even if Just Enough To Get Bynum miraculously had another bare minimum triple-double game?

lakers fans literally get saltier and more upset about the lakers/clippers rivalry than clipper fans

i thought it was the shittier team which is meant to care more

altho i guess thats true in this case too nm

lakers fans literally get saltier and more upset about the lakers/clippers rivalry than clipper fans

How dare we discuss the historic playoff game that happened last night in the NBA Playoff thread. HOW DARE WE.

Emwitus

If caron butler is not an average nba player we might as well tell 80% of the league to pack up and go home. No one belong in the nba if you're not hitting a 20 per at 20ppg.

Duki

Banned
How dare we discuss the historic playoff game that happened last night in the NBA Playoff thread. HOW DARE WE.

all im sayin is youre spending hours of your life talking about how shitty the clippers are after said historic playoff game which the clippers actually, yknow, won

seems a bit salty

jjasper

Do you think the Lakers could come back from 27 down on the road against the Grizzlies even if Just Enough To Get Bynum miraculously had another bare minimum triple-double game?

Didn't they already do it once this year? Seriously this stuff has happened multiple times this year hell last week we were up by about the same amount against Orlando and their tank team almost came back and the game before that Portland came back from about 13 down in the last 3 minutes and we needed a Rudy Gay block to win it. We won two games back to back against Denver and Golden state (I think) this season by getting 20 point leads only to need a tip in after a Gay miss to win. Even earlier this year we were up by about 20 on the Clippers in the game we won and they made a run at the end and make it close.

ikuojA.gif

all im sayin is youre spending hours of your life talking about how shitty the clippers are after said historic playoff game which the clippers actually, yknow, won

seems a bit salty

I also spent more time commenting on The Hawks/Celts today. I guess I should only post about my favorite team so as not to confuse you.

Every situation is possible, just some are unlikely. I bet last night's game was a 1 in 1000 game given the scenario. Maybe worse. But that's the beauty of it. Play enough games and everything will happen.

If the Grizz hit more than 1 shot in 18 possessions, they win. How often during the season do you think they went 18 possessions scoring just 3 points? Possibly never. Even the Bobcats may have only had 1 or 2 stretches all year doing that.

I'd love to see your definition of an "average player". Seriously.

There are 30 starting SFs in the league. Caron Butler is 38th among all SFs in TS%. His Assist Ratio is 53rd. His rebound rate is 49th. His usage is 18th. He is 290th in Win Share Per 48 min in the entire league. 244 in eFG%.

It's hard to argue what is "average," but what I do know is Caron Butler isn't close to average. He's well below average. In fact, he's not good enough to start in the NBA anymore and he's barely playable off the bench. And it's not just the numbers, I've been watching him play. He's looks bad. Misses numerous rotations on D, can't keep up with his man, he does nothing but take contested jump shots, rarely getting into the paint, and the open looks he does get he doesn't hit them with regularity.

Canuck76

Banned
What? The 2011 Blazers weren't that good; they were just hyped. The Mavs controlled that series from the beginning and only a miracle performance from a guy that retired a few months later made the series look respectable.

The Clippers would win because their best player is CP3 and the second best Blake and the Blazers best were LMA and Andre Miller.

I would have been very interested to see a Portland/Lakers series. We did well in that Mav's series and game 6 we were coming back and lost by single digits if I'm remembering correctly.

If we play the Lakers we probably could have took that series based on how fatigued/careless they were in the playoffs. Camby was better a year ago, so was Dre and Gerald Wallace.

Mothman91

There are 30 starting SFs in the league. Caron Butler is 38th among all SFs in TS%. His Assist Ratio is 53rd. His rebound rate is 49th. His usage is 18th. He is 290th in Win Share Per 48 min in the entire league. 244 in eFG%.

It's hard to argue what is "average," but what I do know is Caron Butler isn't close to average. He's well below average. In fact, he's not good enough to start in the NBA anymore and he's barely playable off the bench. And it's not just the numbers, I've been watching him play. He's looks bad. Misses numerous rotations on D, can't keep up with his man, he does nothing but take contested jump shots, rarely getting into the paint, and the open looks he does get he doesn't hit them with regularity.

I think ever since those all star years in Washington...it has gotten to his head. Still thinks he can do some iso step back jump shots.

giri

If caron butler is not an average nba player we might as well tell 80% of the league to pack up and go home. No one belong in the nba if you're not hitting a 20 per at 20ppg.

Mamba has some irrational hate for Caron. I don't get it. Guy is a very serviceable SF who had a horrendous year in which he was constantly injured.

I'm not willing to call him done until next year. If he puts these stats up next year while healthy... then he's done.

But to use an injury plagued year is... silly.

Emwitus

I would have been very interested to see a Portland/Lakers series. We did well in that Mav's series and game 6 we were coming back and lost by single digits if I'm remembering correctly.

If we play the Lakers we probably could have took that series based on how fatigued/careless they were in the playoffs. Camby was better a year ago, so was Dre and Gerald Wallace.

Lakers got killed by 3 pointers. I doubt the blazers would do the same.

Mamba has some irrational hate for Caron. I don't get it. Guy is a very serviceable SF who had a horrendous year in which he was constantly injured.

I'm not willing to call him done until next year. If he puts these stats up next year while healthy... then he's done.

But to use an injury plagued year is... silly.

What injury did he have this season?

And I like Caron. Liked him on the Lakers and Wiz. It's just that he's 31, lost his athleticism, and I saw this coming and called it and people like you thought I was crazy. You all but guaranteed Caron would shoot 40% from 3 this year.

N09Ix.png

The only difference I see is that Gomes was smart enough not to chuck as much.

You think he's going to get better at the age of 32? Maybe slightly due to more time between games, but i doubt it would be noticeable.

Every situation is possible, just some are unlikely. I bet last night's game was a 1 in 1000 game given the scenario. Maybe worse. But that's the beauty of it. Play enough games and everything will happen.

If the Grizz hit more than 1 shot in 18 possessions, they win. How often during the season do you think they went 18 possessions scoring just 3 points? Possibly never. Even the Bobcats may have only had 1 or 2 stretches all year doing that.
The Grizz were also hitting at an unprecedented rate from 3 through most of the game. Everything balanced out imo

giri

What injury did he have this season?

And I like Caron. Liked him on the Lakers and Wiz. It's just that he's 31, lost his athleticism, and I saw this coming and called it and people like you thought I was crazy. You all but guaranteed Caron would shoot 40% from 3 this year.

N09Ix.png

Caron was constantly injured all year. Played injured a lot too because otherwise they would have been starting foye AND gomes.

He ruptured a tendon in his knee last season and had another knee injury early this season. Either way, dude is capable of playing at a much higher level, hes just not been healthy this whole year.

Yes, he got hurt last season and missed most of the year. What knee injury did he have this season? he played in all but 3 games and he sat out for a small hyperextension that showed no signs of anything in the MRI. And he was quoted a couple weeks later as saying he was as healthy as he used to be. And has had no injuries since until last night's broken hand.

If this is due to last year's knee injury, then he's done.

Caron was constantly injured all year. Played injured a lot too because otherwise they would have been starting foye AND gomes.

What injury?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yes, he got hurt last season and missed most of the year. What knee injury did he have this season? he played in all but 3 games and he sat out for a small hyperextension that showed no signs of anything in the MRI. And he was quoted a couple weeks later as saying he was as healthy as he used to be. And has had no injuries since until last night's broken hand.

Older guys don't just spring back from a knee injury. Definitely not if they have another injury right when they come back.

Also, VDN is an idiot.

Just messing with him....I like the part where caron butler is bad and is not fit to be in the nba.

I said he's a bench player now, not a starter.

Older guys don't just spring back from a knee injury. Definitely not if they have another injury right when they come back.

Also, VDN is an idiot.

Some don't come back, like CWebb. But it's been a year. And he's been getting steadily worse all season. His best month was January. And according to him, he's fine (before last night).

And while VDN is an idiot, it doesn't cause him to miss open shots.

I called this happening when they signed Butler to that 3 year $24 million deal. Now that I'm right, I'm being given excuses for it. Even being given stories about injuries that don't exist. People need to accept their crow like men.

Zep

Banned

Instead of calling him "done" how about we wait and see how he comes back next year. I think that would be more fair.

And Im sure he's been wearing down due to the amount of games he's played...You're not being objective at all.

Vahagn

Duki, you talk more mess about the Lakers than any Laker fan talks about the Clippers.

In fact, you talk more nonsense about the Lakers than Lakers fans do about all the teams they hate combined.

Instead of calling him "done" how about we wait and see how he comes back next year. I think that would be more fair.

And Im sure he's been wearing down due to the amount of games he's played...You're not being objective at all.

I didn't call him "done," I believe Moris did that. I've argued that he's been below average this season. I said if it's due to last year's knee injury, then he's done. Because it's been 15 months and he hasn't recovered and that's too long down the line to turn it around.

But that also implies that if it's something else, that he can get better. I've simply argued i don't expect it given his age and I think the combo of his reduced athleticism and age mean he's simply declining as a player...which is something I argued before this season even began.

Has Caron Butler been average this season? Because Emwitus is arguing that. This came up in a comparison of last year's Blazers.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Some don't come back, like CWebb. But it's been a year. And he's been getting steadily worse all season. His best month was January. And according to him, he's fine (before last night).

And while VDN is an idiot, it doesn't cause him to miss open shots.

I called this happening when they signed Butler to that 3 year $24 million deal. Now that I'm right, I'm being given excuses for it. Even being given stories about injuries that don't exist. People need to accept their crow like men.
Don't come back like Webber? The fuck? How are they comparable?

And what player says they aren't fine?

Nobody expected an all-star out of him. He looks like an older guy coming off a knee injury playing for a clown coach. Is that really so shocking?

I was the one who said Butler was done, but that's probably way too harsh. Considering the schedule, just coming back from a knee injury and being coached by VDN.

Zep

Banned
I didn't call him "done," I believe Moris did that. I've argued that he's been below average this season. I said if it's due to last year's knee injury, then he's done. Because it's been 15 months and he hasn't recovered and that's too long down the line to turn it around.

But that also implies that if it's something else, that he can get better. I've simply argued i don't expect it given his age and I think the combo of his reduced athleticism and age mean he's simply declining as a player...which is something I argued before this season even began.

Has Caron Butler been average this season? Because Emwitus is arguing that. This came up in a comparison of last year's Blazers.

This is where I have a problem with what you're saying. Like DY said, Butler isn't some young buck anymore and on top of coming back from the injury, had a grueling schedule to deal with. And he can say he's healthy all he wants...Tmac tried convincing people of that after his surgery and everyone knew he was lying.

Butlers stats before the injury showed someone playing at great level...Next year will be a better barometer due to easing back into a structured NBA schedule, not this 7 games in 8 nights shit.

giri

no, particularly as he started this rant BEFORE he'd even played a game.

What injury?

I'm not the guys doctor nor do i keep detailed medical records of all players.

But i do know that the clippers team whether it was VDN or through the media did say he was injured.

You're just jumping off the deep end.

I'm on this same boat for Caron as i am with Amare. I'll wait to see what a full proper off season with the teams training staff can do for their recoveries and health, before completely writing them off. But as they currently are, they're both playing horribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom