• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Fjordson

Ohio's Mr. basketball Luke Kennard is announcing his college decision tomorrow. Will be a Blue Devil sadly.

You guys need to ask Coach K to stop hogging all the great white guy shooters. Calipari is due for one =[

Crisco

Banned
His ceiling is probably a 20ppg guy if he improves his 3 point shot. The nice thing about him is you don't have to change your offense to fit him in, he can score doing basically anything.

ACCT is officially moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn (WHERE BROOKYLN AT!) for 2017 and 2018.

Speaking of the ACC, the Turtles are not going away quietly

“The ACC’s clear goal is to prevent any meaningful progress or resolution in this case until Maryland formally leaves the ACC in June,” Maryland wrote in a motion filed in Guilford County (N.C.) Superior Court. “Illegally and tortiously engaging in self-help, the ACC has already wrongfully withheld more than $20 million in ACC and NCAA distributions that belong to Maryland. Interest at the legal rate on the amount tortiously withheld to date by the ACC now amounts to approximately $130,000 per month.”
Following the ACC’s recent filing to stay all discovery in the ongoing legal battle over Maryland’s roughly $52 million exit payment following its announced departure to the Big Ten, the school in January and Feburary summoned documents from the following institutions: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Duke, North Carolina State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Virginia. According to an affidavit signed by North Carolina-based attorney J. Alexander S. Barrett, only Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech have thus far complied, while North Carolina State was granted extra time “only on the basis of time set forth for compliance.”

In addition, Maryland has served subpoenas to ESPN, consistent with its allegation that the television network coaxed the ACC into trying to lure Big Ten schools away. Included in the subpoenas to the 10 ACC schools — examples provided were for Duke and North Carolina State — are requests of all communication with ESPN relating to the ACC’s broadcast rights, strategy meetings involving the integration of Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame into the league, and contact with any Big Ten members about joining the ACC.

Silkworm

Dang it, why did you lie on your resume about graduating from UK, Masiello? Now you've opened up the USF head coaching position again and they might take one of UF's coaching assistant (McCall or Pelphrey). Bah! :-(

I know this is a selfish reaction, and both assistant coaches have earned the right to be a head coach elsewhere. ;-) Good luck to them if either are hired at USF or elsewhere for next season.

Duke Basketball ‏@dukebasketball 13m
Coach K says about the next five years: "I'm going to be here during that time." Had previously committed through 2016.

Duke Basketball ‏@dukebasketball 1m
"We have no announcement or anything to make today."—Coach K on Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood's NBA decisions

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
He ain't coming back lol.

I don't think so either, but if he does, its not about getting better (which he can) or the college experience (who cares), its about winning the National Championship.

This is the main reason I want to see Parker come back. Not because its another NC run for Duke, but I'd like to see a kid come in and fire up that team to win something. I hate UNC of course but I can't help but respect the way they destroyed pretty much everyone they played in the tourney in 2009. Thats what they wanted and thats how they played.

And Roy knows how to lock final forms, so Lawson didn't leave early

bucknuticus said:
Reading dook fan's comments past few years seems like this is the worst news.
We say things like "TIME TO FIRE K" in moments of frustration, but when you're replacing a guy who's been in one position for so long and has had such success, your program is in for an inevitable downturn. Now that downturn could either be a quick speed bump and you get right back on track with the new guy or it could be completely downhill with no way to turn it around. I think most Duke fans want to kick that inevitable time of uncertainty as far down the road as possible.

RF said it best awhile ago in this thread. With K, I know that Duke's is going to be at the very least "good" year-in, year-out. They may not be consistently "excellent", but they will always be "good". The two worst years they've had in the past 30 years with K as the coach (so not counting 94-95) were 95-96 and 06-07 and they were an 8 seed and a 6 seed in the NCAAT in those years respectively. Not trying to brag, but those would be the best years in the history of a lot of programs out there. Is Duke going to be as consistently good when he's no longer on the bench?

I don't think so either, but if he does, its not about getting better (which he can) or the college experience (who cares), its about winning the National Championship.

This is the main reason I want to see Parker come back. Not because its another NC run for Duke, but I'd like to see a kid come in and fire up that team to win something. I hate UNC of course but I can't help but respect the way they destroyed pretty much everyone they played in the tourney in 2009. Thats what they wanted and thats how they played.

And Roy knows how to lock final forms, so Lawson didn't leave early

I respect that K doesn't bullshit with players on whether to stay or go. He calls up his network of NBA scouts,coaches, analysts, gets all of their opinions and then lays it all out for the player. If he thinks you're ready, you have his blessing to leave. If he thinks you need more time, he'll tell you that too.

He won't beg for players to stay like certain other coaches.

Fjordson

Dang it, why did you lie on your resume about graduating from UK, Masiello? Now you've opened up the USF head coaching position again and they might take one of UF's coaching assistant (McCall or Pelphrey). Bah! :-(

I know this is a selfish reaction, and both assistant coaches have earned the right to be a head coach elsewhere. ;-) Good luck to them if either are hired at USF or elsewhere for next season.
They're also eyeing Orlando Antigua. Hope he doesn't go because he's been important for recruiting, but it's probably inevitable.

See, what had happened...

I picked an inappropriate venue and manner for giving small voice to my utter contempt for achievements and gamer score.

So how 'bout those Blue Devils.

I'm never really surprised when one of these hyped freshmen decides to leave, but I didn't think his stock was high enough for him to decide to go so quickly.

I guess he's seeing that the draft will have better PG next year with Jones and Mudiay coming in.

Also:

Fears that the ACC was taking the Conference Tourney out of the South permanently have been unfounded.
BjwUYUTCMAAIDWR.jpg

I like the idea of rotating it. The ACC today covers a HUGE span of geographical area. Take the tourney up North to New York and Boston, mid-Atlantic with DC (which will never become B1G country anytime soon Turtles), NC with Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh, and further south with Atlanta and Miami.

Also:

Fears that the ACC was taking the Conference Tourney out of the South permanently have been unfounded.
BjwUYUTCMAAIDWR.jpg

I like the idea of rotating it. The ACC today covers a HUGE span of geographical area. Take the tourney up North to New York and Boston, mid-Atlantic with DC (which will never become B1G country anytime soon Turtles), NC with Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh, and further south with Atlanta and Miami.

I was going to say just keep it in Charlotte/Greensboro/NYC, but would allow for an occasional stop in Atlanta, but not too often. I don't know if it needs to go to Boston, but your suggestion of Miami is interesting. It might work. They don't turn out down there for the Hurricanes except for when Duke or Carolina and now maybe Syracuse are in town. I don't think it would go to Raleigh since it would be in NC State's building. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they've ever played the tournament in that arena.)

Just keep it out of domes. Play it in NBA-level arenas, they're not even filling those up as it is, particularly in the early rounds.

Fjordson

:lol it's these other UK fans talking about first round draft picks and playing Florida for the fourth time. Need to slow their roll, we could easily lose to Michigan tomorrow.

Wooden All-American Team:

SF Doug McDermott, Creighton
G Shabazz Napier, UConn
F Jabari Parker, Duke
F Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
F Cleanthony Early, WSU
G Sean Kilpatrick, Cincinnati
G Nick Johnson, Arizona
F Casey Prather, Florida
G Russ Smith, Louisville
G Nik Stauskas, Michigan

The fact that T.J. Warren didn't sniff either of these lists is a travesty.

Also John Calipari's right hand man Orlando Antigua is expected to take the head coaching job at South Florida

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider 16m
No surprise. Wiggins announces officially he’ll declare for the 2014 NBA Draft. He’s No. 1 on our Board and Lottery Mock Draft

And with the 1st pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select...

Top Bottom