• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

We've been bad for twenty years, so nobody takes Virginia seriously. However, this team is REALLY FUCKING NASTY and has a habit of grinding teams to dust in the second half of games.

Do not be surprised if UVa ends up in the Final Four.
Would be awesome to see, honestly.

Someone post the Wiggins SI cover

jNn6F75.png

Kevtones

Oregon is 8-8 conference after being 3-8.
Non-conference is perfect/decent but not great (N-GeorgeT, @Ole Miss, Illinois, BYU, USF)
The five losses before the streak (2, 2, 2, 4, 2) by a combined 12 to good opponents.

They beat UCLA/USC on the road this weekend and need a split of ASU/UA this weekend. Oregon blew both those games in Arizona by 2 points apiece.

Hoping for redemption.

jjasper

Virginia is the ACC champ? :jnc

That 35 point destruction UT put on them is going to single handedly allow us in the tournament. Also that has to qualify as most ridiculous score this season right?

SyNapSe

This was my favorite Marcus Smart flop of the night https://vine.co/v/MKEDXwz2jO2

While impressive, he didn't get the call on that one. People complained about Duke flopping forever but I've never seen anything like Smart. It's not like he's simply exaggerating charges and pushes offs.. he legitimately goes down like someone Tonya Harding'd his knee randomly.

http://gfycat.com/DelightfulAltruisticAnhinga#

It's laugh-worthy but it's also effective so watcha gonna do.

I thought that game would be a loss given the circumstances but it would have been nice if the kids had shown up. The first 10-15 minutes of that game was brutally horrible basketball.

Virginia is the ACC champ? :jnc

That 35 point destruction UT put on them is going to single handedly allow us in the tournament. Also that has to qualify as most ridiculous score this season right?

Virginia had some bizarro losses in the nonconference (VCU and Wisconsin are forgivable, Green Bay and losing by 35 to Tennessee, less so), but when they got to conference play, they turned it on in a big way.

It will be very interesting to see how they do when the bullets start flying in tourney time. I think they're legit (certainly that defense is great if nothing else) and anytime you are a bounce away from being the only team to beat Duke in Cameron in 2 years and be 15-0 in conference play, its a hell of an achievement. At the same time, they benefited from an easier conference slate than their chief rivals (they only played the other 6 teams in the top half of the conference once). Do I think they can get to the Final Four? Sure, but I think a lot of teams can get to the Final Four this year. I also think Virginia could be upset in the first two rounds of the tournament. It's that kind of wide open year. There's no barnstorming 07 Florida, 09 UNC, 12 Kentucky this year. There's a LOT of good teams (some very good) but no great teams. It's going to all come down to matchups for them.

devilhawk

While impressive, he didn't get the call on that one. People complained about Duke flopping forever but I've never seen anything like Smart. It's not like he's simply exaggerating charges and pushes offs.. he legitimately goes down like someone Tonya Harding'd his knee randomly.

http://gfycat.com/DelightfulAltruisticAnhinga#

It's laugh-worthy but it's also effective so watcha gonna do.

I thought that game would be a loss given the circumstances but it would have been nice if the kids had shown up. The first 10-15 minutes of that game was brutally horrible basketball.
I knew it would be a loss as well. Even Vegas did as OSU was favored.

I feel sorry for the NBA team that gets suckered in to drafting that clown.

DominoKid

yeah the personnel just seems really off. i just figured he got caught in one of those in-between years.

yall have a big class coming next year?

yeah the personnel just seems really off. i just figured he got caught in one of those in-between years.

yall have a big class coming next year?

Yeah next years class should be good, not like they were in mid 2000s good, but should put us back in the top 3 of the B1G.

hoos30

Virginia had some bizarro losses in the nonconference (VCU and Wisconsin are forgivable, Green Bay and losing by 35 to Tennessee, less so), but when they got to conference play, they turned it on in a big way.

It will be very interesting to see how they do when the bullets start flying in tourney time. I think they're legit (certainly that defense is great if nothing else) and anytime you are a bounce away from being the only team to beat Duke in Cameron in 2 years and be 15-0 in conference play, its a hell of an achievement. At the same time, they benefited from an easier conference slate than their chief rivals (they only played the other 6 teams in the top half of the conference once). Do I think they can get to the Final Four? Sure, but I think a lot of teams can get to the Final Four this year. I also think Virginia could be upset in the first two rounds of the tournament. It's that kind of wide open year. There's no barnstorming 07 Florida, 09 UNC, 12 Kentucky this year. There's a LOT of good teams (some very good) but no great teams. It's going to all come down to matchups for them.

The sentiment in our fan base is that Florida would be the worst match up for UVa because they can spread the floor and shoot from multiple positions. That's a weakness of the pack line defense. We'll be happy to face any other team before the FF. Defense travels; we are comparable in a lot of ways to those Butler teams of a few years ago, not flashy but really damn tough.

Our early season woes, as they are, had a lot to do with the coach trying to install a new read-react offense without an established point guard. Experiment completely failed and they went back to their old offense and haven't looked back since. Helps alot that our PG, who folks had a bunch of doubt about, turned out to be an assist to turnover wizard.

Fjordson

Leave Cal alone, he'll be coaching the Knicks next year.
Ugh, I really feel like these shitty years are going to push him towards the NBA even more. And half our fanbase is begging for it.

Our fanbase is really shitty sometimes. I remember the last time we wanted a successful coach pushed out (Tubby) and ended up with a disaster (Billy G). Gotta be careful what you wish for. Cal certainly isn't perfect, but I'd much rather have him stick around and try and bounce back. I have a hard time believing he's just forgotten how to coach after being successful for over 20 years.

I literally saw someone post on Rupp's Rafters yesterday "need a guy like Tony Bennett at Virginia. Seems like a nice guy who can truly coach". I mean what in the holy fuck.

ACC with 3 top 10 teams. (Not sure any of them will make the Elite 8, let alone a Final 4.)

4 Duke
5 Virginia
7 Syracuse
14 North Carolina

Both polls

AP Top 10:

1 Florida (46) 27-2 1,606
2 Wichita State (14) 31-0 1,555
3 Arizona (5) 27-2 1,514
4 Duke 23-6 1,364
5 Virginia 25-5 1,304
6 Villanova 26-3 1,292
7 Syracuse 26-3 1,240
8 Kansas 22-7 1,200
9 Wisconsin 24-5 1,075
10 San Diego State

USA Today:

1 Florida (25) 27-2 793
2 Wichita State (7) 31-0 769
3 Arizona 27-2 741
4 Duke 23-6 672
5 Virginia 25-5 656
6 Villanova 26-3 647
7 Syracuse 26-3 563
8 Kansas 22-7 559
9 Louisville 24-5 548
10 San Diego State 25-3 511

AP Top 10: 1. Florida 2. Wichita St. 3. Arizona 4. Duke 5. Virginia 6. Villanova 7. Syracuse 8. Kansas 9. Wisconsin 10. SDSU

I'm a little surprised Virginia didn't leap frog Duke

LoL @ Kentucky still being ranked. I thought surely losing to one of the worst teams in the worst basketball conference would get them booted, but NOOPE

C Joel Embiid will sit out for Kansas' last two regular season game, status for conference tournament is TBD

Class of 2015 PG Aaron Holiday (Rivals #40, brother of Jrue Holiday) commits to UCLA

Pittsburgh is making Duke's win look worse and worse every game. I know it's got to be tough on jnc. Hang in there buddy!

Related: TJ Warren is the ACC POY. Barring Marcus Paige playing amazing in a UNC win at Cameron Satuday night, Jabari Parker will win the award, because of the hype and the fact that he's playing on a much better team, but Warren deserves it.

No one in this conference is putting in the work that he is on a night-to-night basis. He literally is that team at the moment. He's carrying them on his back by pure will.

Top Bottom