• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Fjordson

http://guyism.com/sports/dan-dakich-eviscerates-ted-valentine-hes-lucky-didnt-get-punched.html

Dakich is completely right... an official shouldn't be going chin to chin with a coach. Ted Valentine's done antics like this for YEARS. No idea why he still gets hired.
Dakich is a clown, but I actually agree with him here. TV Teddy is an even bigger clown.

They are that bad. Aaron Harrison and Young only care about things that they think will increase their draft stock. Nothing more. In "unimportant" games that results in purely selfish play. No passing, no defense. Basically just looking for points to pad their stats.

The rest if the team seems to care. I think Randle is far less concerned with the NBA than Young is. Randle isn't selfish. He tried hard. He gets double and triple teamed, but he tries and he cares.
Agreed about Randle. He's not perfect, but he plays hard.

It's weird how some of these kids don't look at who got drafted high at Kentucky and who is flourishing at the next level. UK isn't a free ride to being a lottery pick. Daniel Orton wasn't able to breeze through his one year at UK and then hop onto the all-star team. It's guys like Davis, Terrence Jones, DeMarcus, Noel, Wall etc. who actually played hard at UK. Shit, even Josh Harrellson is on an NBA roster. Need effort to go along with your talent.

Seth C

Dakich is a clown, but I actually agree with him here. TV Teddy is an even bigger clown.

Agreed about Randle. He's not perfect, but he plays hard.

It's weird how some of these kids don't look at who got drafted high at Kentucky and who is flourishing at the next level. UK isn't a free ride to being a lottery pick. Daniel Orton wasn't able to breeze through his one year at UK and then hop onto the all-star team. It's guys like Davis, Terrence Jones, DeMarcus, Noel, Wall etc. who actually played hard at UK. Shit, even Josh Harrellson is on an NBA roster. Need effort to go along with your talent.

Some players have become completely confused, and the NBA isn't helping them. They will draft anyone. They need to step back and say "fuck you, stay in school, develop your skills". But they won't. So long as they won't, I can't blame kids from being selfish, bolting, and getting theirs.

This team is actually getting worse. Basically, they are playing as hard as you and I did the last month if senior year of high school. They have their minds set on something else. This is "the end" for them and they are ready to get it over with, and it is about to get them blown out but South Carolina. I hope they tank every game left in the season and end up in the NIT and I hope every single freshman who jumps to the NBA goes undrafted.

This problem started the moment Orton was drafted after averaging like 3 points per game. 3 points and he gets drafted in the first round? Come the fuck on.

Silkworm

Some players have become completely confused, and the NBA isn't helping them. They will draft anyone. They need to step back and say "fuck you, stay in school, develop your skills". But they won't. So long as they won't, I can't blame kids from being selfish, bolting, and getting theirs.

This team is actually getting worse. Basically, they are playing as hard as you and I did the last month if senior year of high school. They have their minds set on something else. This is "the end" for them and they are ready to get it over with, and it is about to get them blown out but South Carolina. I hope they tank every game left in the season and end up in the NIT and I hope every single freshman who jumps to the NBA goes undrafted.

This problem started the moment Orton was drafted after averaging like 3 points per game. 3 points and he gets drafted in the first round? Come the fuck on.
Stupid Orlando Magic... ugh. At least Orton is now "living large" on the 76ers :p

Seth C

And Cal just got ejected for directing his hatred at the wrong people.

I can't tell if you guys are surprised. UK hasn't really been fun to watch since embracing one and dones.

I'm just gonna say bullshit and leave it at that. Sorry.

Silkworm

If a player can't get off the bench on a college team why the hell do you draft him to play in the NBA? What kind of logic is that?
Got me. They only had him for one season so I guess they realized their mistake pretty quickly. Curious what other players were on the board that they passed over to pick Orton (it would probably make the pick even more of a head scratcher).

Well bye bye Calipari :-(

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I have a feeling Ullis and Booker will be a breath of fresh air for you guys next year. Booker can straight up stroke it and Ullis will do what a UK PG should do. Pass The Ball. Towns doesn't seem to have much ego either from what I've seen.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
CHAMPS!

Gotta play better than this Tuesday though or Illinois will hold us to 45pts. And that can't happen. I will never hear the end of it.

Silkworm

I just feel bad for the kid George Johnson that drove up 3.5 hours from Atlanta area who is battling leukemia to watch his UK play in person. :-( Oh well at least he got to spend some time with Calipari before this game.

Edit: UK can still pull this out. Down to a 10 point lead for SC.

DominoKid

1453318_557172701036636_328599395_n.jpg

looks like were at the These Players Need A Spanking stage.

Silkworm

Wow, what do you know? UK finally showing some effort on offense and defense and they've closed the lead to 4 points by SC. Some 3's by UK and SC can't simply collapse down low.

Edit: And then Harrison happens *ugh*

Got me. They only had him for one season so I guess they realized their mistake pretty quickly. Curious what other players were on the board that they passed over to pick Orton (it would probably make the pick even more of a head scratcher).

Well bye bye Calipari :-(

Lance Stephenson and Jeremy Evans are the only players taken after Orton who play at all in the NBA.

Silkworm

Oh, I know if SC wins this game (a big if) the SC fans want badly to rush that court. Not sure an SEC fine will deter them.

Why does UK insist on driving into a pile of SC defenders? It just doesn't work.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
i would I'm surprised Scar has let UK back in this game, but thats the place where coaching careers go to die for a reason. Sorry Frank, you shoulda took the Miami job

Kalnos

Banned
Oh, I know if SC wins this game (a big if) the SC fans want to rush that court. Not sure an SEC fine will deter them.

Why does UK insist on driving into a pile of SC defenders? It just doesn't work.

They might... but they did a couple of years ago when they won a much bigger game against UK when they were #1.

Seth C

Well I didn't know their names (my bad, I just used UK as a default). Didn't mean to imply all the UK players are doing it. Harrison is the one I seeing doing it too much. Is Young the other one?

Yup. As of right now Aaron Harrison and James Young have taken 27 shots. The other 6 players have taken 22 combined. Of James Young's 12 shots, he is 3 of 5 from three and 1-7 throwing crap up in traffic.

Silkworm

So UK don't settle for the 3. Go for a quick 2. Plenty of time left, no need to put it all on one shot.

Edit: Why did you take so long to get up the court and then you took that shot, UK? Sigh.

Silkworm

You're so silly.

Do you think UK should have gone for 3? I just thought they could have pushed it up the court and go to the rim. Oh well, maybe it wasn't there due to SC's defense. Just thought if they miss they could get a put back and then quickly foul SC. Just looking for something to work for UK -- obviously I'm not a coach :-D.

Kalnos

Banned
Do you think UK should have gone for 3? I just thought they could have pushed it up the court and go to the rim. Oh well, maybe it wasn't there due to SC's defense. Just thought if they miss they could get a put back. Just looking for something to work for UK -- obviously I'm not a coach :-D.

I think he's saying you're silly for expecting them to do the logical thing.

Silkworm

4 Syracuse
9 Creighton
10 Saint Louis
11 Cincinnati
17 Kentucky
18 Michigan State
24 Texas

All lost today

UVA be movin' on up! ;-) Need them to get up past a 4 seed so they don't end up being positioned where they might play the Gators in the earlier rounds. Don't want any of that (at least not until later in the tournament).

Fjordson

I can't tell if you guys are surprised. UK hasn't really been fun to watch since embracing one and dones.
Huh? The Wall and Cousins team was fantastic and played great as a team and the 2012 team was an all-time great squad. Even the 2011 team was lovable with Brandon Knight and Jorts.

Can't argue about this year, though. Very disjointed and inconsistent.

Kalnos

Banned
Huh? The Wall and Cousins team was fantastic and played great as a team and the 2012 team was an all-time great squad. Even the 2011 team was lovable with Brandon Knight and Jorts.

Can't argue about this year, though. Very disjointed and inconsistent.

There have been good teams but there's never anything to look forward to and I never really end up caring about the freshman. Most of the good teams had a player with experience: Jorts, Patterson, Miller, Liggins (lol).

Fjordson

There have been good teams but there's never anything to look forward to and I never really end up caring about the freshman. Most of the good teams had a player with experience: Jorts, Patterson, Miller, Liggins (lol).
Oh well I can agree with that. Calipari is still searching for that balance of talent and experience that he had the first three years. But I do think those first few years were fun to watch and guys like Cousins and Davis were genuinely great kids who enjoyed their time at UK.

I hate to say this because we've heard it before, but if the Harrison twins come back and we get Dakari, Lee and Poythress back, we could have an even better "team". Not as talented, but pieces that fit better together.

Fjordson

Wow, I didn't even see the Florida / LSU score until now. And to think we needed a tip in at the buzzard to beat them at home :lol

I apologize Florida fans on behalf of all the media goons who picked us to win the SEC pre-season.

devilhawk

This game means nothing for KU and they are playing like it. Just try and not get blown out. And even then I wouldn't think it means anything.

hoos30

Wait, Virginia is going to win the ACC?

XUIPb.gif

We've been bad for twenty years, so nobody takes Virginia seriously. However, this team is REALLY FUCKING NASTY and has a habit of grinding teams to dust in the second half of games.

Do not be surprised if UVa ends up in the Final Four.

devilhawk

So the end of the game Marcus Smart straight up lied and made up a quote from Bill Self. What type of blowhard does that on TV? Flops, pushes fans, lies now too.

"Bill Self said he was going to come here, win the conference outright and cut down our nets."

Top Bottom