• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

15441543292_3f9cb964b0_o.jpg

15418814166_357477c63d_o.jpg

This orc looks like a Michael Bay turtle...

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-michaelangelo.jpg

Sanjay

Hey bud, if you're posting JPEG's they have to be max (or VERY near max: 98-99%) quality.

Compressed JPEGs are disallowed.

Mine are low quality compressed JPEGs?

I Fraps them, in bmp format, and then I upload to Flickr like recommend.

What I'm I doing wrong?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Mine are low quality compressed JPEGs?

I Fraps them, in bmp format, and then I upload to Flickr like recommend.

What I'm I doing wrong?

When uploading BMP's to Flickr, Flickr compresses them and turns them into JPEGs.

My recommendations:

Either capture PNGs with Fraps and upload those straight to Flickr

or (and it would be preferred if you did this, especially if you plan to post 1440p images)

convert your screenshots using Photoshop or FastStone to JPEG with level 12 or 98% quality respectively, then upload those to Flickr.

That'll get you great quality screenshots to share here with out the thick layers of compression.

KePoW

Banned
I'm also noticing it quite buggy. If I use no downsampling, every single screenshot is captured with full UI/HUD. From 200% resolution setting, it seems to (try to) remove all the UI, though every second shot has bits of the combo text or the frame around named mobs (in their little cutscene thingy). Oh and it doesn't always remove the stars above stunned mobs or the green selection circle under them either. Would be nice if the devs let us know how to use or configure this option.

ohhh interesting. I do not downsample at all, so that must be it

thanks for the info

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Some old ones I was looking at.
15447937145_596cabe41f_o.png

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3932/15261165219_5af0cf9569_o.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That looks stunning.

[quote="TheRed, post: 132975113"][IMG]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3929/15261367380_2d5fab42f9_o.png

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3927/15229756108_59acc10818_o.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Ooooof. Great looking grass.

GavinUK86

Just finished this T-Bone DLC and I can't believe how much of a better experience it was than the main game. T-Bone is such a cool character with an interesting backstory. Aiden who?

15264973298_d7b2c4e48a_o.png

15264972628_ceba6111df_o.png

Was trying to figure out a way to retain depth of field while using timestop during stealth attacks or finishers.

Very limited use though.

15264983490_3e89fc8fc0_o.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Question about Shadow of Mordor: are there any um, how to say... more "Tolkienesque" environments and architecture in the game? Don't get me wrong, I think the graphics looks very good, but it seems that every screenshot shows some shantytown or crumbled ruins. I know you're fighting orcs for the most part, but the comparisons to AssCreed got me wondering. The only part of AssCreed I really liked was the amazing architecture, and parkouring in Rivendell- or Minas Tirith-like areas sound cool, but I don't know if there's any of that. ^^

GavinUK86

Question about Shadow of Mordor: are there any um, how to say... more "Tolkienesque" environments and architecture in the game? Don't get me wrong, I think the graphics looks very good, but it seems that every screenshot shows some shantytown or crumbled ruins. I know you're fighting orcs for the most part, but the comparisons to AssCreed got me wondering. The only part of AssCreed I really liked was the amazing architecture, and parkouring in Rivendell- or Minas Tirith-like areas sound cool, but I don't know if there's any of that. ^^

No, not really.

The game is very light on architecture. And geometry for that matter. It's just a giant low-poly arena for you to kill orcs in, basically.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No, not really.
The game is very light on architecture. And geometry for that matter. It's just a giant low-poly arena for you to kill orcs in, basically.
Well, that's disappointing from a LotR game. Thanks for the answers.

Hell, I don't even mind the "low geometry" much, to be honest. Anor Londo is probably "low geometry", but it's still amazing to look at and explore. A Middle-Earth game has so many opportunities to show off great locales. Oh well...

Lime

15416222106_4d29f709bd_o.jpg

I love these executions. They never get old. Banding on the other hand... gets very old.

looks like one of those ubisoft bullshots. great IQ

lol a fucking strip club. Fuck video games.

Well, that's disappointing from a LotR game. Thanks for the answers.

Hell, I don't even mind the "low geometry" much, to be honest. Anor Londo is probably "low geometry", but it's still amazing to look at and explore. A Middle-Earth game has so many opportunities to show off great locales. Oh well...

There's a huge statue in the game that looks like LEGO. That should inform you how the architecture design is up to the detail of John Howe or Alan Lee.

Giving this another go. It's funny, I last played it only a few months ago, yet I'm enjoying it a lot. Usually a game like this I have to give a year or more to get back into.

daorigins2014-10-05065gjxm.png

daorigins2014-10-05142zk45.png

EDIT: Just noticed the SGSSAA gives it a blurry look. Odd, I have the LOD bias set right. The AA bit must not play nice with this game.

BONKERS

Giving this another go. It's funny, I last played it only a few months ago, yet I'm enjoying it a lot. Usually a game like this I have to give a year or more to get back into.

EDIT: Just noticed the SGSSAA gives it a blurry look. Odd, I have the LOD bias set right. The AA bit must not play nice with this game.

That or specific settings within the game.

Try 4x with 1.5x1.5 downsampling
or just 8x

It does seem the game has, in the DoF shot for example, low quality DoF that has a ton of undersampling issues that SGSSAA just happens to be missing.

Are you using 0x004010C0?

Looking back at the references, it does seem like there has never really been any exhaustive or extensive testing or comparison of flags for this game.

I'd do it myself. But i'm adverse to Bioware games (Don't like'em) and don't have it.

Maybe i'll have to pick it up next sale just to test it for issues.

That or specific settings within the game.

Try 4x with 1.5x1.5 downsampling
or just 8x

It does seem the game has, in the DoF shot for example, low quality DoF that has a ton of undersampling issues that SGSSAA just happens to be missing.

Are you using 0x004010C0?

Looking back at the references, it does seem like there has never really been any exhaustive or extensive testing or comparison of flags for this game.

I'd do it myself. But i'm adverse to Bioware games (Don't like'em) and don't have it.

Maybe i'll have to pick it up next sale just to test it for issues.

Yep, using that bit.

It seems to be conflicting with frame buffer effects.

SGSSAA with Frame Buffer Effects.
SGSSAA without Frame Buffer Effects.
No AA with Frame Buffer Effects.

kanuuna

I kicked around with the game a bit couple months back and found that MSAA and TSAA work without issues with the 0x00000040 compatibility flag on Inspector. I also removed the vignette by replacing the vignette texture with a fully transparent texture.

It still looks rotten compared to the first Mass Effect. Self-shadowing would've gone a long way. I never finished it, but if that new one makes me want to care about that series' lore I might revisit it. If I pick it up to begin with, that is.

BONKERS

Does look like maybe just some post processing? Wonder if could be mimmicked with SweetFX?

GeDoSaTo may be a better solution for this specific game though. (Unless downsampling+SGSSAA helps fix the issue without introducing it's own issues like shimmering/crawl. Which does happen with some games. EG: Two Worlds II, Bioshock)
If using a 9xx GPU, then DSR may be even better

Lime

Naked ladies are so gross, am I right?

no it's just uncreative and unimaginative developers who cynically consider their audience to be horny little teenage boys so they constantly put in strip clubs, brothels, burlesques, prostitutes, and what have you in their carefully designed and marketed video game based on primitive demographics research. Video game scenery can be *anything* in the world, but we just gotta have those pandering strip clubs you know.

no it's just uncreative and unimaginative developers who cynically consider their audience to be horny little teenage boys so they constantly put in strip clubs, brothels, burlesques, prostitutes, and what have you in their carefully designed and marketed video game based on primitive demographics research. Video game scenery can be *anything* in the world, but we just gotta have those pandering strip clubs you know.
Lol, calm down. It's a hologram dancing around a pole. I love how with all the blood and guts everywhere the only thing that your disgusted by being "uncreative" is the naked hologram.

Altairre

Two things I want to say about this after which I'm going to stop to not derail this beautiful thread completely.

Firstly, I'm trying to remember the last game I've played that had a stripclub in it and I actually can't remember so I wouldn't say it's a very common theme. Could just be the games I play though.

Secondly, I think it's a bit harsh to call every game that uses elements like strip clubs and brothels pandering. It depends on the context. Books do it, movies do it occasionally and I don't see a reason why videogames couldn't. If it fits with the story you're telling or the world you're creating and you do it appropriately then that's completely fine with me because like you said, videogame scenery can be anything.

It is absolutely fair to critcise the implementation and there are some pretty bad examples. What immediately comes to mind here is the Saboteur, which was extra gross because there was a DLC to have uncensored boobs if I remember correctly. That's dumb and not the point. I don't play videogames to look at boobs, plenty of other places I can do that. I just think you shouldn't necessarily generalise.

Nice looking avatar btw.

Smash88

Banned
I'm trying to relax and browse some awesome screenshots, then we have a full blown moron come into the thread to push his idiotic agenda that no one gives a fuck about.

Fantastic.

Top Bottom