• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

DD

iKGz1NhGH6rEx.jpg

iMsCTDYquXc2b.jpg

Finally finished downloading Shadow of Mordor, again not overly impressed. The textures are really nice (my original 6gb Titan averaged 64fps on ultra at 1080) but other than the great looking characters, the world is very low poly and almost feels like you can imagine looking down on it in a map maker etc and have just placed rocks, towers and tents and the like all over the place. It just doesn't make for a very believable world.

They should have narrowed the areas, made it more enclosed and upped the detail. The first hour or so feels empty and lifeless.

Pic below was taken in game at 200% (8K) and looks nice enough but look at the terrible excuse for a rock pile. I know I'm being picky but I prefer a smaller, less ambitious and polished game than one that is inconsistent like this.

I also got the HUD in almost every screenshot after this as well, the F12 function seems buggy.

Overall it looks pretty and runs great (looks stunning at 144hz) but it's not a visual showcase I was expecting after seeing the suggested specs.

edit: Oh and I agree the body proportions are off. Even the Orcs just look wrong. It's like the models were made by EA Sports or something... how this didn't get picked up and mentioned by playtesters I'll never know.

15231064277_b12c1d5a21_o.jpg

I'd have to agree. I'd expect Modor to be full of detail. But it's a lot of flat and blocky geometry. I suppose these are the sacrifices you make when you aim for 60 FPS on consoles.

The orcs look cool though. And the game is fun.

15390894436_3376737682_o.jpg

15230959659_a717077960_o.jpg

Yeah they sure do. Your orcs look CG/promo art quality. My Titan drops to claymation frame rates in 8K so not patient enough to switch res for screenies atm. Not though the in-built screenshot feature wants to work without the HUD for me anyway :/

The game is feeling strange. Like a big sandbox that has a bunch of perfectly placed crouch height walls, ledges, ziplines, all with an endless respawning orc army.

Not feeling (or understanding) the nemesis/Sauron army thing and the combat is very much sucking you into place so long as you hit the right button.

Within the first hour I wished it was on Origin so I could get an immediate refund but progressing another hour or so I'm slowly coming around. Hopefully it keeps improving.

But hey, textures! (This time all max/ultra again but at 3840x2160). The UI still seems to be showing in 2/3 screenshots too. I wish I knew why...

15395566406_da4ffc5b8f_o.jpg

15418609255_885361aa4d_o.jpg

Porcupine

I'd have to agree. I'd expect Modor to be full of detail. But it's a lot of flat and blocky geometry. I suppose these are the sacrifices you make when you aim for 60 FPS on consoles.

The orcs look cool though. And the game is fun.

Game is fun, but the graphics are are really a little disappointing. The characters look great, but the world is really lifeless. But I think it's more a problem of mediocre level and world design.

The animation work is probably the best I've seen in a long time. You can't see that in the stillshots.

It does look good but it really is way, way too similar to Assassin's Creed. Plus, there are heaps of invisible boxes around objects (bad collision detection) where you get stuck for no reason.

But as I'm finding with most games lately, once you experience it in double the refresh rate, you really can't go back.

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
So there's no way to play without the HUD on Shadow of Mordor? I know you can take it off in screenshots, but I mean in-game while playing. The mini-map makes the game way too easy.

Jim,
Wondering, what do you have for settings? Are you using DSR, or do you have custom res set? Also - windowed/full screen and high or ultra textures? (have a 980 as well)

All settings are maxed with ultra textures. The only thing I disable is motion blur. I play in Borderless full screen @2560x1440.

UnrealEck

Those textures are nice on ultra. Instantly noticeable improvement.
I hope they do a sequel to SoM. I'm sure they will with the success it seems to be having. Hopefully it'll be set around the first movie's era. It would be nice to see some more things from the lore than just uruk-hai. Ents, trolls, elves, dwarves and so on.

I'm not sure of anywhere you can buy it at the moment. I bought it years ago on Direct2Drive, which has since moved to Gamefly Digital (which will then be moving to another service next year, I think).

Another sour point on it is that it uses Starforce, which doesn't work on Windows 7+, so you have to use an older version of windows.

BLunted

Banned
Have had this game in my library for a while, but just fired it up for the first time today. Really liking it so far. Love the atmosphere.

15237563367_ab1ace8975_o.png

15420927431_3373779004_o.png

Top Bottom