• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Thorgal

i so wish i could downsample this game with an enb on but as you can see from my frame rate my 660 can barely manage this at 1080p.

enb2014_01_1922_07_42m9ug4.jpg

enb2014_01_2117_38_18mouqr.jpg

Seyavesh

The Cheat Engine freecam seems to crash my game when I'm in offline mode.

Also, the DSFix pause doesn't work for me.

The hud hide works. Toggling Borderless Fullscreen works. Toggling the cursor works. But no pause :(

Siiiiigh.....

You need to turn on the FPS unlocker feature and then set the limit to 30 for pausing to work. The pause is really convenient, but doesn't allow full free-cam- you can only move the camera up and down with the mouse.

Darkdeus

Nice! How'd you take the first shot? Some hack/mod for a free camera?

Amazing pictures, and love your Flickr account as well.

Can you link me to the mod to free the camera movement?? Or is it something your wrote that you want to keep for yourself?

Hey thanks guys. You need to download cheat engine and use this table in order to enable the "freecam". It's very unstable and does not work very well though.

CE table: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_f11g1DlLhDV1RfV0VSdnBfOVE&usp=sharing

I just now got the pause key working! Makes it much easier to take shots!

12077161334_3340d2a806_o.jpg

12077150184_506475059b_o.jpg

My goodness. Great shots Darkdeus.

Tempted to install again as well, and mess around with the pause and freecam.

I'm using the latest version Steam and the table just crashes the game every single time I enable the free cam. Without fail. =(

I just now got the pause key working! Makes it much easier to take shots!

With only the ability to rotate up and down, it doesn't help THAT much. If I could get taht free camera stable, I can move it while the game is paused.

Are you using the Steam version? Are you playing in offline mode? Are you enabling the first XLive cheat detection disable script (2nd one doesn't work for me)? Or does it crash 90% of the time for you too and you just have keep relaunching the game?

(I don't know why but when I created a new script that only allows me to change coordinates (no joystick control), it never crashes. Something in the freecam script is faulty.)

Darkdeus

Yea I'm using the latest steam version, Dsfix 2.2, and the Data.CETrainer from this link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_f11g1DlLhDV1RfV0VSdnBfOVE&usp=sharing

I am playing in offline mode. My fps is so low it automatically sends me into offline mode when I start the game. Both of the XLive cheat detection disable script work for me too. The freecam works most of the time everywhere except for boss areas. I would say it crashes 30% of the time for me.

The nice thing about the pause key is I can use it to swing the camera around during fights by pausing and unpausing it real quick. It's lets you zoom in and out some too when paused which helps with getting different angles than usual.

I really hope you get it working as you know a lot more about the CE tables and could hopefully improve the freecam and pausing.

I really hope you get it working as you know a lot more about the CE tables and could hopefully improve the freecam and pausing.

You use both disable scripts? Or just 1?

I don't know why but my own script works 100% of the time. But it doesn't have the joystick movement because I've never been too good at coding those.

Quick test with a simple coordinate hack (had to start a new game for offline):

12080188116_8f0736751e_o.jpg

6000x3375 -> 3840x2160 screenshot (with SweetFX border for aspect ratio) -> 2560x1080 resized

I wish SweetFx could capture screenshots from the internal resolution. Or that I could capture 5120x2160 screenshots. For some reason the game refuses to launch in a window large than 3840x2160.

Darkdeus

I just use one disable script but it doesn't seem to make a difference which one or if I use both. Nice shot your IQ destroys mine. I can't even get it too launch at 4K anymore. It's set to that in Dsfix and was working fine but now it just opens in 1080p. I'm still using 5120x2800 internal resolution though.

Some Burial at Sea shots. I should be downsampling (among other things) to get rid of the rest of the jaggies, but I was playing it to, you know, play it.

bioshockinfinite2014-n4sas.png

bioshockinfinite2014-b0sey.png

Modding Skyrim seems like it's a time consuming endeavour... the results here in this thread are amazing. I cant get myself to try it, i'd be on it all day dropping other thing on my to do list... :(

i so wish i could downsample this game with an enb on but as you can see from my frame rate my 660 can barely manage this at 1080p.

http://abload.de/img/enb2014_01_1922_07_42m9ug4.jpg/IMG]

[IMG]http://abload.de/img/enb2014_01_2117_38_18mouqr.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I've got a 660 too. What FPS are you getting with that, around 30?

soontroll

Banned
Modding Skyrim seems like it's a time consuming endeavour... the results here in this thread are amazing. I cant get myself to try it, i'd be on it all day dropping other thing on my to do list... :(

It's not really time-consuming. Nexus Mod Manager does everything for you. All you need to do is search and click install.

It's not really time-consuming. Nexus Mod Manager does everything for you. All you need to do is search and click install.

Probably speaking for myself but It IS time consuming though. There's just SO MANY particular mods I'd want to track down again. And figure out the script extender. And animations. And poses. And director tools. Fog settings. ENB. TEXTUREMODSWATERFOLIAGEARMORSKINOMGMYHEADISGOINGTOEXPLODE

I've also logged 437 hours into that sucker. Mostly just taking screenshots because it's really not worth bothering for the gameplay.

Spazznid

I love that shot.

Some Burial at Sea shots. I should be downsampling (among other things) to get rid of the rest of the jaggies, but I was playing it to, you know, play it.

I know you're probably joking, but this notion still annoys the shit out of me.

I play at high resolutions all the time, and soon, it will be much more affordable to do so with this gen's games. I have a friend(Acquaintance, really) who always argues that I'm not playing the game, because I'm playing at 4K, and he seems to have it in his mind that this must always lead to abysmal framerates. I just love the IQ. Sure for a game like The Witcher 2 or Tomb Raider, downsampling from too high is a no no for now, but most other game, like Unreal engine games, downsampling hardly affects performance on a 700 series card.

/Rant.

Like I said I know you're joking, it's early here.

Some Burial at Sea shots. I should be downsampling (among other things) to get rid of the rest of the jaggies....

SHOULD you get rid of jaggies? For the sake of the thread, downsampling is listed under tools, not rules :p

So that's up to you.

I know you're probably joking, but this notion still annoys the shit out of me.

Same here. I was getting something like 50-60 FPS in BIoshock Infinite at 4K. Downsampling while playing is not unheard of. Just requires some rather beefy hardware.

Sorry. Just saw this. So is it like a "new engine" where they've really just taken the old one and added features on top and improved it? Or is it like... brand new built from the ground up?

Because often times, it's the former, regardless of what the devs actually say (Skyrim, AC4, etc etc). So basic mechanics code for movement, combat, camera, etc is exactly the same.

“Engine” is incorrect within itself, there are various “engines” that create the entire experience. You have the rendering engine, animation, netcode, sound among others. DS is using a new rendering engine on top of probably the same underlying mechanics. I don't imagine them having a reason to scrap the others. Tweak and tune sure? But very rarely do companies completely start from scratch. Hell Epic didn't even completely start from scratch with UE4, honestly I can't think of a company of recent that has.

But very rarely do companies completely start from scratch. Hell Epic didn't even completely start from scratch with UE4, honestly I can't think of a company of recent that has.

Aren't Ubisofts new games sporting new engines? "Disrupt" for Watch Dogs and "Snow Drop" for Division? I have no idea what their predecessors were.

DS is using a new rendering engine on top of probably the same underlying mechanics.

This is what I was getting at though. I do suspect that the code driving the core mechanics (camera system being the one I'm concerned about) will remain the same. So the point I was originally making – screenshots will be freakin hard – still stands.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
“Engine” is incorrect within itself, there are various “engines” that create the entire experience. You have the rendering engine, animation, netcode, sound among others. DS is using a new rendering engine on top of probably the same underlying mechanics. I don't imagine them having a reason to scrap the others. Tweak and tune sure? But very rarely do companies completely start from scratch. Hell Epic didn't even completely start from scratch with UE4, honestly I can't think of a company of recent that has.
Watch_Dgos is using parts of their other engines IIRC. I'd be shocked if a large portion of it didn't come from the AC branch.

Aren't Ubisofts new games sporting new engines? "Disrupt" for Watch Dogs and "Snow Drop" for Division? I have no idea what their predecessors were.

They might be sporting unique rendering engines, but even then I wouldn't be shocked if many of the underlying mechanics were lifted wholesale from other Ubisoft in house engines. Because really, why start from scratch when you have a great base elsewhere?

This is what I was getting at though. I do suspect that the code driving the core mechanics (camera system being the one I'm concerned about) will remain the same. So the point I was originally making – screenshots will be freakin hard – still stands.

That's not really something you can even call without actual use. They can make a camera behave the exact same way as Dark Souls on the surface, but the underlying mechanics for how the camera operates could have changed completely.

Watch_Dgos is using parts of their other engines IIRC. I'd be shocked if a large portion of it didn't come from the AC branch.

It'd make the most financial sense

Thorgal

What's with the ambient occlusion on the sky?

It is the the depth of field having problems with the foreground geometry and creating artifacts.

Heh i was wondering myself what was causing that .

I've got a 660 too. What FPS are you getting with that, around 30?

It really depends on the location i am in .

Walking close to whiterun i get anything from 27 to 30 fps.
In a dense forested area is when the cards really suffers .

Now that shot was taken With realvision enb Full with all options on .
Ugrids on 7.
Add dense high res grass and trees + lots of water (water parallax ) AO and DOF and it is no wonder why my framerate tanked in that swamp .

As soon as i got out of there it went back to 27 -30 fps.

Seyavesh

i feel like this game is actually kinda great looking, but also really hard to get shots of because a lot of it comes in 'action'

en6.jpg

fn6.jpg

also i should probably get rid of the buggy lookin' character mods haha

Thorgal

What? CA is a lens artifact, when it's "done right" - there is no CA.

I do not entirely agree with that .

Used correctly it can enhance an image

One of the posts from last years thread :

K-Putt really loves CA and puts it on all the Dead Space games. Here's one of this shots:

10386621235_c9c2038ca5_k.jpg

Here's his setup.

Looks like he edits the colors heavily so many you want to disable\edit some shaders. Unless you like it the way it is. Check the comparison shots for before\after sliders.

The problem with devs is that instead of using it subtle and sparingly they crank the setting up to max .

In short : imo ,CA in and of itself is not bad but the stigma it has comes from the fact that devs go overkill with it.

Durante

I had a nice discussion about CA with a photographer friend when it first appeared in games.

He spends 1000s of €s on lenses to get rid of it, game developers spend 1000s of FLOPS to put it in :p

soontroll

Banned
I had a nice discussion about CA with a photographer friend when it first appeared in games.

He spends 1000s of €s on lenses to get rid of it, game developers spend 1000s of FLOPS to put it in :p

Haha I think I heard something like that from John Carmack in one of his speeches.

And hundreds of production and vfx studios are spending 1000s to put it in (not literally in every instance). I think most people try to point out in this discussion that there is a difference between CA as a 'look at me' gimmick, and CA as a careful modeling of, indeed, lens artifacts.
Its funny how laughably intense it's been in some games, but its a bit much to say that it should never exist.

Durante

And hundreds of production and vfx studios are spending 1000s to put it in (not literally in every instance). I think most people try to point out in this discussion that there is a difference between CA as a 'look at me' gimmick, and CA as a careful modeling of, indeed, lens artifacts.
Its funny how laughably intense it's been in some games, but its a bit much to say that it should never exist.
I still think it's silly when you put lens artifacts into something where there are no lenses involved, e.g. first person games where you look through the eyes of your character.

It's fine in something like the roadside cameras of a racing game I guess.

Top Bottom