• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Lifeless Planet

i85VkbIP0xswy.jpg

BONKERS

i'm trying to downsample with Deus Ex HR, and play too. But I don't get why only some of the UI elements remain at a fixed scale and others scale with resolution (Like the HuD. One would think "Scaleform?" but Crysis 1 uses Scaleform an doesn't have that issue). It's really odd.

30IR

Banned
Just got my 4K Surround setup:

Some 25MP madness!

AC4: (Avg. 50+ FPS)
iCw3WgUYnglSF.jpg

iwigPUfblVB6R.jpg

iba2Gv39C9cpcU.jpg

ibnBSFKO2Ipor4.jpg

Borderlands 2: (Avg. 60+ FPS)
ihPWy28FbY0xJ.jpg

ibqCNk19kI61e.jpg

The actual 4K Surround setup:

LL

LL

LL

Some 25MP madness!

1. I'm extremely jealous of your setup.
2. While the screenshots look fantastic, the bezels would drive me insaaaaaaaaaaane (i've tried the multimonitor setup in the past - I can't do it)
3. Rules.
[*]Limits: 2 screenshots per post. If you have more than 2, make more posts or use thumbnails.
(just beacause those are images and a lot to dump into 1 post)

30IR

Banned
1. I'm extremely jealous of your setup.
2. While the screenshots look fantastic, the bezels would drive me insaaaaaaaaaaane (i've tried the multimonitor setup in the past - I can't do it)
3. Rules.

(just beacause those are images and a lot to dump into 1 post)

Yikes! Sorry.... just joined this forum recently and this is one of my first posts. Will follow the rules from here on out. Thx.

Couldn't control my derp since I just got 4K surround lol...

30IR

Banned
Love your setup and wallpapers but I have a question. Why is it better to have all the monitors positioned vertically rather than horizontally? Aren't you losing screen space this way?

Good question. The reason is to minimize the Fish Eye effect or stretching of the image on the peripheral monitors (left & right).

For FPS games, 3x1 Portrait Surround is actually *MUCH* better than Landscape (horizontal) due to the FoV and hardly any Fish Eye effect.

For racing games, Landscape is better since the FoV is more realistic.

[video]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cehn_yMJh3o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

(*Is there a way to embed videos on this forum? Do I use [Video] tags?)

Good question. The reason is to minimize the Fish Eye effect or stretching of the image on the peripheral monitors (left & right).

For FPS games, 3x1 Portrait Surround is actually *MUCH* better than Landscape (horizontal) due to the FoV and hardly any Fish Eye effect.

For racing games, Landscape is better since the FoV is more realistic.

[video]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cehn_yMJh3o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

(*Is there a way to embed videos on this forum? Do I use [Video] tags?)

Ahhh makes sense! Thanks for the vid, was great seeing it in action. Now I know what try out for my future setup.

BONKERS

ibr4rWfxtAeSRr.png

iKG8Dns3spENV.png

it's not a good option to use SGSSAA with the Director's Cut because it uses lower precision/resolution HDR and DoF than the original game.

Which results in an image that feels half baked and even almost pointless to use SGSSAA.(Unless you downsample, but then the HUD becomes too small).
ok, not pointless but it doesn't look as good as the original game

The icing on the cake too is that the HDR buffer resolution scales with resolution too. Meaning if you play downsampled by 2x2 the HDR quality will be significantly better. (But Hud :( )

Comparisons http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/65870
Look at the glow around the lights , specifically the one to the upper right. You can see visible undersampling artifacts which don't exist in the original game. It looks a LOT worse in motion too. (And considering how heavy HDR is in this game, it makes a lot of stuff look really bad) (Same thing with the DoF, look at the undersampling. That looks AWFUL in motion)

Thorgal

spoiler much.....

Thanks for being a dick, PinkCrayon.

At least I can block your future idiotic posts, but geez.

While those are spoilers from the game , technically, he isn't breaking any thread rules here :

DA RULES :

Spoilers: Please do not post major plot points from games released in the last 2 months.

Although i would suggest , PinkCrayon that you Link pictures like that in the future .
Both for the spoiler free sanctity of this thread to remain intact and to save your own hide from the thrashing you'll receive for those shots !

Blizzard

Banned
Welp, I guess it's about time to start playing Bioshock Infinite if that sort of thing is starting now. D:

Yes it's technically within the rules, but we love people who still link such shots with spoiler warnings because they are nice people.

ktynn

Banned

The actual 4K Surround setup:

LL

How can you enjoy anything like this? Playing any game in first-person view must give you the feeling of being in a weird cockpit... those two thick and black lines in the middle of your view... i don't get it... Also; why don't u get a 27>30 inch screen instead bro?

Mabase

Man N1ghtW4lk3R, your Castlevania shots make me want to buy that game. The environmental designs, the architecture and details are amazing.

Man N1ghtW4lk3R, your Castlevania shots make me want to buy that game. The environmental designs, the architecture and details are amazing.

Thank u sir...I tried to do my best, but without freecam and toggle Hud is difficult to express something more important as I would like. ;)

(I hope that Jim sooner or later will do some miracle with this game)

About as good as you'd expect. After switching to this resolution, my GPUs just roll a pair of dice to see what my FPS is.

I've already played through the game a ton and taken a fair amount of screenshots of it, so I probably won't mess with it too much more. I just wanted to see the IQ at the sort of resolutions I can easily attain in other games (not hard in this one either, I just didn't know how).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
messing with the ENB...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7431/13067466253_2014055e90_o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7408/13067284215_16a8101e3e_o.jpg

That is some early Xbox 360 level of reflection going on right there

Top Bottom