• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Jan |OT| Raymond Felton attempts to eat a Knicks Fan

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Doesn't winning your division get you an automatic top 3 seed?
HCA, so top 4. Last season, the Clippers won their division and were fourth, they played against the Grizzlies who were fifth.

It gets you a top 4 seed. But that's just for whom you will play. I believe HCA still goes to the team with the best record in each match up.

So if they got the 4 seed by winning the Atlantic with 30 wins. But they end up playing Atlanta who has 35 wins and are the 5 seed, Atlanta get HCA.
Ah, I see.

Edit:

"Divisions and Playoff Seeding
Each conference is split into six-team divisions. The Atlantic, Central and Southeast divisions make up the Eastern Conference and the Northwest, Southwest and Pacific comprise the West. The winners of each division and the remaining team with the best overall record are awarded the first through fourth seeds in the playoffs.

Division winners are not guaranteed a top-three seed, or even home-court advantage in the first round. For example: if the season ended on April 11, 2012, the Chicago Bulls (44-14), Miami Heat (40-16) and Boston Celtics (34-24) would be champions of the Central, Southeast and Atlantic divisions, respectively. The Bulls have the East's top overall record and would be top seed, Miami would be second. But the Indiana Pacers (36-22) have a better record than the Celtics, so they'd be seeded third and Boston fourth.

That fourth seed might be higher than the fifth in name only. Home-court advantage goes to the team with the best record, which isn't always the team with the higher seed. That's a real possibility this season; as of April 11, the Celtics have an identical record to the Atlanta Hawks and Orlando Magic. The Hawks or Magic could pass Boston in the standings, enter the playoffs as a lower seed but still have home-court advantage in the first round."
http://basketball.about.com/od/nba-playoffs/a/About-The-Nba-Playoffs.htm

giri

Doesn't winning your division get you an automatic top 3 seed?

It gets you a top 4 seed. But that's just for whom you will play. I believe HCA still goes to the team with the best record in each match up.

So if they got the 4 seed by winning the Atlantic with 30 wins. But they end up playing Atlanta who has 35 wins and are the 5 seed, Atlanta get HCA.

Alright, masud is fucked then.

reverse-1279617800_Carmelo-Anthony-lying-on-the-floor.gif

I have no idea what kind of reaction this is, but I love it.

I can't believe that you guys are giving up on the chance of landing a basketball phenom that actually wants to live in Canada for a chance to be playoff fodder for mia/indy.

The problem is everybody's saying Wiggins is not that guy, he's more like Igoudala or Barnes. Rumours are Masai likes Exum better.

But even aside from that, the team's been playing .700 ball since trading Gay. What's the point of disassembling that for a single rookie? Even if he's great it just makes you Cleveland. And you still need to draft 2 more of him and then wait 5 years and get a good supporting cast if you want to be on Miami and Indy's level.

DeRozan is 24, Ross is 22, Valanciunas is 21, they've got plenty of internal growth to come, and potentially two all stars this season and cap space and extra picks to work with in the future. It's probably better to work from that and hope you can land more talent as it becomes available through trade.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
The problem is everybody's saying Wiggins is not that guy, he's more like Igoudala or Barnes. Rumours are Masai likes Exum better.

But even aside from that, the team's been playing .700 ball since trading Gay. What's the point of disassembling that for a single rookie? Even if he's great it just makes you Cleveland. And you still need to draft 2 more of him and then wait 5 years and get a good supporting cast if you want to be on Miami and Indy's level.

DeRozan is 24, Ross is 22, Valanciunas is 21, they've got plenty of internal growth to come, and potentially two all stars this season and cap space and extra picks to work with in the future. It's probably better to work from that and hope you can land more talent as it becomes available through trade.

That only real error in your break down is the raptor and Masai don't have the record of drafting shitty like Cleveland and this is a draft that's been hyped for a few years as a star laden draft. Add to it your already young core and I'll be honest it would make more sense to tank this year for a possible star than play it straight with a middle of the pack team.

Emwitus

Agreed. Years of tanking have got teams nowhere and there is no LeBron / Duncan type player in this draft. Might as well build up what you have now

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Agreed. Years of tanking have got teams nowhere and there is no LeBron / Duncan type player in this draft. Might as well build up what you have now
Tanking got your Celtics their last ring in case you forgot.

It's pretty reasonable to question how long a core of Kyle Lowry and Amir Johnson can last with Lowry's history of injuries and insanity and his upcoming free agency, but they've played really well recently and could certainly win a playoff series so I think they should keep it going throughout this year. If Lowry declines next year, they can tank for Okafor and Turner who may not be as good as Embiid and Parker, but should still be good.

That only real error in your break down is the raptor and Masai don't have the record of drafting shitty like Cleveland and this is a draft that's been hyped for a few years as a star laden draft. Add to it your already young core and I'll be honest it would make more sense to tank this year for a possible star than play it straight with a middle of the pack team.

The thing is, they tried, and Dolan borked it when he backed out of the deal for Lowry.

Except now Lowry is playing like a top 5 PG and is on NBA.com's MVP top 10, and he's only 27. Unless you get Durant or Lebron, that's the most realistic good scenario you can have for any player you'd draft, because no matter how good you are the draft is not an exact science. So what's the point in giving that up?

And it's hardly the end of the line - if we're going to talk about Indy, look at where they got their guys. George is their highest drafted player at 10th.

It's pretty reasonable to question how long a core of Kyle Lowry and Amir Johnson can last with Lowry's history of injuries and insanity and his upcoming free agency, but they've played really well recently and could certainly win a playoff series so I think they should keep it going throughout this year. If Lowry declines next year, they can tank for Okafor and Turner who may not be as good as Embiid and Parker, but should still be good.

Embiid looked really good last night apart from not being able to stay on the court, which is basically every night.

It's a weird problem that I've never really seen before. Determining if foul rate will transition directly to the NBA.

Raps have 19 wins already. They're a whopping 13 games behind Milwaukee in the loss column. They can't tank their way to a top 5 pick even if they traded Lowry today.

If the Bucks could find a way to trade an unprotected pick or somehow get Afflalo, they'd probably be the third best team in the East next year and a serious threat to be the best team in the East within 3 years.

They are a lock to get Smart at worst at this point.

Smart
Afflalo
Giannas
Sanders
Henson

I said wow

If the Bucks could find a way to trade an unprotected pick or somehow get Afflalo, they'd probably be the third best team in the East next year and a serious threat to be the best team in the East within 3 years.

They are a lock to get Smart at worst at this point.

Smart
Afflalo
Giannas
Sanders
Henson

I said wow

Afflalol is getting older, Henson is a stick, and Sanders is an unmotivated slob who just got paid.

I don't buy it.

Now that I think about it the league front office is probably hoping that the Bucks bring in a marketable star player. either for Kohl to find buyers to build a new stadium, or for better resale value if Kohl changes his mind and sells the team to the Seattle group. Either way it's high past time that franchise have an image makeover.

Afflalol is getting older, Henson is a stick, and Sanders is an unmotivated slob who just got paid.

I don't buy it.

I'm hesitant to call out Sanders just yet. Another incident and I'll become concerned, but not yet.

Henson is great despite being skinny.

Afflalo just turned 28 and has very little milage on him due to many years as a roleplayer.

Now that I think about it the league front office is probably hoping that the Bucks bring in a marketable star player. either for Kohl to find buyers to build a new stadium, or for better resale value if Kohl changes his mind and sells the team to the Seattle group. Either way it's high past time that franchise have an image makeover.

Bucks finally put a team together that can win a playoff series.

Team gets moved to Seattle

;_;

The thought of Payton instructing Smart is kind of scary in a good way though

Kyle Lowry and Larry Sanders should be on the same team. One year, they'd be the core of a team contending for the conference finals. The next, they'd be attacking each other in the locker room and leading a team to the #1 pick. Every year would be exciting.

LFK is too high on DeRozan.

Nope. His efficiency sucks, his defence is so-so and he still can't shoot the 3 reliably. I know what he is.

But! He works his ass off, he's got good speed, body control and athleticism, length, he never gets hurt and drives to the basket drawing fouls (which he hits). But most importantly, he's still only 24 and most figure he's a lock to make the all star game this year. He's obviously taken some big steps the last two seasons, and there's no reason to think he can't be a pretty good player when he hits his prime at 27.

Making the all-star team in the East has ceased being an accomplishment.

I kind of feel like the Heat and Pacers' best players alone can compete with anybody the West can throw out there.

Speaking of which:

Lebron to Toronto?

Michael Grange said:
How about: anything seems possible? How about: why shouldn’t the Toronto Raptors make a run at LeBron James in NBA free agency this summer, with Drake as the point man?

Raps have been good for a whole month now, I don't see why not.

linsivvi

The thing is, they tried, and Dolan borked it when he backed out of the deal for Lowry.

Except now Lowry is playing like a top 5 PG and is on NBA.com's MVP top 10, and he's only 27. Unless you get Durant or Lebron, that's the most realistic good scenario you can have for any player you'd draft, because no matter how good you are the draft is not an exact science. So what's the point in giving that up?

And it's hardly the end of the line - if we're going to talk about Indy, look at where they got their guys. George is their highest drafted player at 10th.

I've always liked Lowry. Glad to see him playing well this season, sucks for the Raptors though. Who've thought that the Rudy Gay trade would break the tank of BOTH teams?

Rondo aiming to come back at the Lakers game? Good, it's time for Boston to break their tank too.

Top Bottom