• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bou has outplayed Petro on our top line more often than you'd think.
That's not good news for Canada.

He'll be there by the end. Carter's coming into the tournament ice cold. I don't know why he's even that far up in the line-up.

Pretty sure Babcock doesn't care for St. Louis though.
It's this stupid right shot / left shot bullshit again, I don't understand why Babcock is so obsessive over it. I just hope they'll tool around with the lineups enough to realize MSL is a much better option.

Drazgul

Aww yeah

1395307_10152045836587669_838970629_n.jpg

Indonesia's flag on team USA jerseys? Haha.

Not sure if I like that finnish jersey design - sounds like a good idea in theory, but ehh...

I'm worried about having Luongo in net in this tournament. He is a pretty bad choker in big games and was pretty disappointing in 2010. Personally I'd go with Price, though he isn't perfect either.

Quick

Banned
I'm worried about having Luongo in net in this tournament. He is a pretty bad choker in big games and was pretty disappointing in 2010. Personally I'd go with Price, though he isn't perfect either.

Did you watch the Olympics in 2010?

Luongo held his own, and definitely was a factor in Canada's gold medal.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Different USA lines today. Guess they're just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

JVR-Pavelski-Kessel
Parise-Backes-Callahan
Pacioretty-Kesler-Kane
Brown-Stastny-Oshie

Suter-Shattenkirk
McDonagh-Carlson
Orpik-Martin
Fowler-Faulk

Parch

I'm really not that worried about Canada's goaltending. It's not like they can't switch if one falters. The Canadian defensemen are the best group by far. And the depth means Canada can comfortably roll 4 lines without any of the forwards getting tired and making defensive mistakes.

Defense and goaltending should be low on Canada's worries.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
my god that OP is amazing.

Work is keeping me on a weird schedule and off beloved NHL Gaf, but rest assured I'll be watching and enjoying these olympics.

Okposo was robbed

zroid

Banned
Russia's really gunning for us, lol

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...atters-the-hockey-gold-medal/article16794868/

Larionov: “Yes. Since the last Olympics in Vancouver, all they’ve been talking about is the rematch. Nobody exists in world hockey or Olympics, but Russia and Canada, which is a big mistake, to think like that. There are more than two teams going for gold. Everybody is talking about that one terrible loss – 7-3 – and what a disgrace and a disaster for Russian hockey it was. The pressure was created four years ago and now it’s time to show what they can do.

Parch

All about the pairs.

Crosby Kunitz
Toews Sharp
Getzlaf Perry

Find a third wheel, but production from these pairs will determine the fate.

Socreges

Banned
But everyone says he's a choker, so he must be a choker.
I like when people get specific, though, because then you can actually address the bullshit. eg, yyzjohn completely misremembered the Gold medal game and that was the Gold medal game. See:

Seriously though if Price plays like he does in the playoffs it'll be bad for Canada. There's already questions about Luongo in big games and like mentioned before he was shaky in the gold medal game 4 years ago.
Well, he was the one who let in a shaky tying goal with under 25 seconds in the 3rd.
The goal in question.

Kesler's goal, tipped from a few feet away.

Luongo had a .944sv% in that game.

Even in the semi-final, both goals against Luongo were off rebounds from shots he faced from the doorstep. And he made an amazing save on Demitra with 7 seconds left that people forget ever happened, not to mention the toe save off the tip immediately before that.

fallout

I like when people get specific, though, because then you can actually address the bullshit. eg, yyzjohn completely misremembered the Gold medal game and that was the Gold medal game. See:

The goal in question.

Kesler's goal, tipped from a few feet away.

Luongo had a .944sv% in that game.

Even in the semi-final, both goals against Luongo were off rebounds from shots he faced from the doorstep. And he made an amazing save on Demitra with 7 seconds left that people forget ever happened, not to mention the toe save off the tip immediately before that.
Oh, sure. But none of that matters, because he was "shaky". Stats don't mean anything because he was "shaky". Did I mention that he's a choker?

Hmm Vancouver was 4 years ago. Maybe my memory isn't that good then since I've been thoroughly disagreed with. Still, I don't love starting Luongo this Olympics.

yyzjohn

Banned
Vancouver fans sure are touchy when it comes to people ripping Luongo. Maybe it was his shitty game 7 stanley cup final performance that people hated, but whatever it is, there's more than a few Canadian fans worried about Luongo being the starter.

Vancouver fans sure are touchy when it comes to people ripping Luongo. Maybe it was his shitty game 7 stanley cup final performance that people hated, but whatever it is, there's more than a few Canadian fans worried about Luongo being the starter.

Well being worried doesn't suddenly undo his last Olympic performance.

Oh you mean that game where the Canucks Scored zero goals. Give your head a shake.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lu was great in Vancouver, but that was 4 years ago. Price has been better then him all season, but that being said Canada can win with either goalie.

Socreges

Banned
SweetTeddie, no one is loving Canada's goaltending situation. Luongo hasn't been in top shape lately and Price hasn't really proven he can maintain the same form when it comes to big games (outside of a singular playoff series, IIRC).

I'm not worried, though. At worst they may just not have the ability to steal games for Canada, which isn't necessarily what the team will need.

:(

You realize these other people aren't Vancouver fans, right? And Luongo gets ripped all the time (and by Vancouver fans themselves). No problem with that, so long as it's merited (sometimes is).

Your posts were hilariously wrong, though. Props to SweetTeddie for owning it.

Mattilaus

Neo Member

So does that mean the other starting goaltenders for the other 14 teams that made the playoffs are all worse chokers? He got his team to game seven of the stanley cup finals and because he lost there he is a choke artist? By that measure any goalie who has never won a cup is a choke artist. I guess Lunqvist is a choke artist, so is Miller, Rinne.....

fanboi

Banned
So... how will Daniel Sedin work without Henrik?

I mean, that like another player play without his best arm and missing a 1/3 of his leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom