• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
He also had four shutouts in those playoffs as well as stopping 31 of 32 against chicago game 7 (which went to OT) in the first round but I guess that isn't a pressure situation.
Going to compare the first round to the final round, and game 7 when he allowed goals early? I think he's a good goalie, and he did great in Vancouver, but trying to say he's so much better prepared to deal with the pressure then Price is, is ridiculous.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
And Mike Smith can eat a dick.
A big relocated dick. Mike 'Fuckin' Smith.

I'd prefer Price, but it really depends who is hot. Going into the break, Price has been the better of the two and I think he is due. Just like Luongo was due 4 years ago.

Mattilaus

Neo Member
Getting pulled twice in the finals is unthinkable for a goalie. That is why I compare him to czechmanek. Able to play great at times but the low is so low that he cant be a dependable option.

Well I guess we wouldn't know whether price would perform the same because he has never been to a stanley cup final. He has a losing post-season record. Winning an grand total of 9 out of 30 games

Mattilaus

Neo Member
Going to compare the first round to the final round, and game 7 when he allowed goals early? I think he's a good goalie, and he did great in Vancouver, but trying to say he's so much better prepared to deal with the pressure then Price is, is ridiculous.

I am not saying he is so much better prepared. I am just saying that it's his to lose. People are already counting out the man and he hasn't even played a game. The guy wins a gold medal and people treat him like a second rate goalie. Price will get his chance but until he proves himself he is #2

What has Price ever done?

ZeroGravity

Living off of past accomplishments has gotten Canada in trouble before. Price is the better goalie right now, and unless he completely screws up in his first start, I think he'll be the guy.

Samyy

Price has done shit in the playoffs, 9-17 and has only won more then one round once.
The year that Montreal went on a run was under Halak no?

So yea, Price has done shit compared to Luongo in pressure situations, lets not compare that aspect but Price loses in that respect.

Red_Man

I am not saying he is so much better prepared. I am just saying that it's his to lose. People are already counting out the man and he hasn't even played a game. The guy wins a gold medal and people treat him like a second rate goalie. Price will get his chance but until he proves himself he is #2
It was 4 years ago, Price has been undeniably better this year, and particularly in recent weeks.

What has Price ever done?
Price has also won at the WJ's and been a Calder Cup MVP, and survived in Montreal, he can handle the pressure. Lu was pulled twice in the finals, so great for performing under pressure behind a President's Trophy team. Using the pressure argument against Price is not the best idea.
Price has done shit in the playoffs, 9-17 and has only won more then one round once.
The year that Montreal went on a run was under Halak no?

So yea, Price has done shit compared to Luongo in pressure situations, lets not compare that aspect but Price loses in that respect.
I love how getting to the finals with a back to back Presidents Trophy team is some huge medal of honor for surviving pressure but getting pulled twice in the finals when it really matters isn't a detractor in anyway. Price has survived playing one of the most difficult positions in all of sports in the the most pressured hockey environment in the world. Habs have never lost a playoff round because of Price, he has never played behind a team nearly as good as the 2010-2012 Canucks.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Both are questionable. A couple of weeks ago Price was playing like shit and Luongo seemed to be a lock to be starter. Since then, things have flipped. Price may have a slight edge based on recent history, but Team Canada will try them both out.

Mattilaus

Neo Member
It was 4 years ago, Price has been undeniably better this year, and particularly in recent weeks.

I love how getting to the finals with a back to back Presidents Trophy team is some huge medal of honor for surviving pressure but getting pulled twice in the finals when it really matters isn't a detractor in anyway. Price has survived playing one of the most difficult positions in all of sports in the the most pressured hockey environment in the world. Habs have never lost a playoff round because of Price, he has never played behind a team nearly as good as the 2010-2012 Canucks.

And I love how you keep saying he got to the finals on a president's trophy winning team as if he had nothing to do with that team winning the president's trophy. He had a .928 sv% in the 2010-2011 so i'd say vancouver doesn't win that president's trophy without him. There is a difference between being a goalie in a pressured hockey market and playing for 30 million people that you know are watching and critiquing and since when do we get points for "surviving"?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Price has not been great in the playoffs, no doubt.

I think you need to go with who's hot at the moment though, and that's Price right now. I'd be lying if I said I was completely comfortable with either of them, but they're going to be playing behind an incredible defense. A lot of Price's goals surrendered this season have come within 10 feet of his goal line, they're not going to see many people near their crease during this tournament.

Red_Man

And I love how you keep saying he got to the finals on a president's trophy winning team as if he had nothing to do with that team winning the president's trophy. He had a .928 sv% in the 2010-2011 so i'd say vancouver doesn't win that president's trophy without him. There is a difference between being a goalie in a pressured hockey market and playing for 30 million people that you know are watching and critiquing and since when do we get points for "surviving"?
Oh yea? Vancouver had the #1 GF in the Western conference in both seasons, they could have won it without him. People keep using the "pressure" argument as the reason for starting Lu, when it's pretty obvious they both can handle the pressure in that environment. You go with your best players, and right now that's Price.

Regardless, as I've said before Canada can win with both. If games come down to either Lu or Price having to steal one, then there's bigger problems with the team then goal tending.

Parch

This isn't typical NHL pressure. This is a major international tournament. Different atmosphere, different media, different expectations. There has to be some consideration for experience. Luongo's gold medal experience has to at the very least put him on par with Price.

There is no right or wrong choice until we get to some early play and see how they're performing and dealing with the olympic pressure.

PACK OF COMMIES ITT. STOP YOUR SHOWBOATIN'. PRICE AND LALONGO HAVE GOT THIS TOURNAMENT SORTED. BUNCHA GOOD CANADIAN BOYS GOD LOVE 'EM.

NOW YOU KIDS AT HOME LISTEN UP. YOU LITTLE JUNIOR GOALTENDERS. IF YOU GOT SOMEONE BARRELIN' DOWN ON YOU. YOU JUST TURN YOUR BACK LIKE GOOD OL' PRICEY OVER THERE AND SHOW 'EM WHAT'S WHAT

price.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
Guys, we need to bring in Patrick Roy. I know he's a little old, and probably isn't having as good a season as Price is, but Roy can handle pressure.

yyzjohn

Banned
Getting pulled twice in the finals is unthinkable for a goalie. That is why I compare him to czechmanek. Able to play great at times but the low is so low that he cant be a dependable option.

You're out of bounds with the Czechmanek comparison buddy, even I don't think Luongo is that bad.

Big-E

You're out of bounds with the Czechmanek comparison buddy, even I don't think Luongo is that bad.

I think the comparison is apt as they both have had some of the biggest playoff shitting the bed experiences. Cechmanek when he came to the NHL put up some godly numbers only to be chased out of the league due to his playoff play and Luongo should have been chased out of Vancouver after some of his performances.

Red_Man

Czech vs Sweden at 12pm sounds good. Can't wait to see Pleky and Jagr on the same line tear it up.
It's always a bit painful watching them, because they always play so well together and Habs have shut him down twice now.

Tiktaalik

The differences in pressure between the various hockey markets in Canada is probably negligible. Every tabloid starts calling for trades at the slightest sign of a downturn in club fortune. Luongo has received tons of that sort of thing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The differences in pressure between the various hockey markets in Canada is probably negligible. Every tabloid starts calling for trades at the slightest sign of a downturn in club fortune. Luongo has received tons of that sort of thing.

Pfft, like he was ever really going anywhere with that bullshit contract.

Guys I'm really fucking depressed. I have to work through most of these matches and I only have an antenna. How can I watch the replay of these hockey matches? Think NBColympics.com will have a stream of them?

FUCK

Samyy

Guys I'm really fucking depressed. I have to work through most of these matches and I only have an antenna. How can I watch the replay of these hockey matches? Think NBColympics.com will have a stream of them?

FUCK

Hey man im in midterms during every game this week, first Canada game I can watch is on Sunday :*(

Solo

luongo career playoff GAA: 2.54 SV%: .916, 64 GP

Price career playoff GAA: 2.90 SV%: .905 30 GP

And price is better in pressure situations?

Well, Price has won a Calder Cup and a World Juniors, so he might be the better big game goalie.

Blader

FUCK

NBC puts up full replays of every event at about 3/3:30 p.m. every day

Solo

Having said that.....if it comes down to a shootout in the gold medal game.....get Price the fuck out of the net :lol

Red_Man

Having said that.....if it comes down to a shootout in the gold medal game.....get Price the fuck out of the net :lol
I agree with this :lol....even in the WJ he blew at the shootout, Toews had to save Canada's ass repeatedly.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Put Mike Smith in for the shootout, because Luongo is probably worse at them than Price :lol

Also gold at the olympics > gold at WJC's. And the WJC's have stacked Canada teams too.

Why can't we all just agree that whoever plays better in their first game gets the spot, why all this warmongering...

Solo

Why can't we all just agree that whoever plays better in their first game gets the spot, why all this warmongering...

I agree with this except.....the first 2 games are Norway and Austria. Can't really judge either guy from that. I think the best way to go, rather than give them each one then decide, would be to give them each one then give them each half the Finland game, and judge based on that one.

Smiley90

I agree with this except.....the first 2 games are Norway and Austria. Can't really judge either guy from that. I think the best way to go, rather than give them each one then decide, would be to give them each one then give them each half the Finland game, and judge based on that one.

Well if one of them shits the bed against one of those teams we'll know too. :p

Prediction time. I know next to nothing about hockey. Mostly basing this off of names I recognize most on the rosters listed on Wikipedia.

Group A
Russia- 9 points
USA- 5 points
Slovakia- 4 points
Slovenia- 0 points

Group B
Canada- 9 points
Finland- 6 points
Austria- 3 points
Norway- 0 points

Group C
Sweden- 8
Czech- 7
Latvia- 3
Swiss- 0

First round
USA over Swiss
Finland over Slovenia
Slovakia over Norway
Latvia over Austria

Second Round
Finland over Czech Republic
USA over Sweden
Russia over Slovakia
Canada over Latvia

Semis
Russia over USA
Canada over Finland

Medals
Finland over USA
Russia over Canada

Parch

give them each half the Finland game.
Doubt they would do that, but they should have a decent idea who should start against Finland, and then decide who to go with based on the Finland performance. 3 prelim games and practices should be enough to make the final decision.

Smiley90

True.....but fuck......Canada should be able to dress Red Light Racicot and still route Norway.
I'll consider "let in one bad goal" shitting the bed against those teams. Then whoever looked better starts against Finland and we go from there.

Red_Man

Whoever starts Finland will be the starter, and his net to lose.

Canada has 5 guys on D who are Norris calibre. Goal tending shouldn't be a huge deal.

Personally I don't care who starts as long as it isn't Smith. Price is a stellar goalie who has deserved better teams in front of him in Mtl.

I just hate when people rip on Luongo. The guy will be a top 5 goalie when he retires. Calling him a choker while not holding the Canucks offense accountable for their Cup run is ridiculous. Or Niedermeyer not getting the blame for the turnover that led to the US tying the Gold Medal game.

Hockey is not black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom