• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

There's nothing more hilarious than a Heat fan that doesn't see the irony in hating Lebron for how he left. Now let's get back to playoff talk. Celtics in 4.

Fjordson

The Starters posted their NBA Preview, if you are interested

Ive kinda stopped listening to them, too much "jokes" (which mostly sucks and relies on Leigh's aussie accent) and too little basketball. I might give it a listen see if its improved
Yeah, I stopped listening to them shortly after The Basketball Jones show stopped and they stopped cussing :lol

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
NBA and NBPA agree to HGH testing starting next season!

is this Lebron's last chance to get a ring with the Cavs? heheh jk

Besides, in the alternate reality that LeBron knew for certain that he was going back to Cleveland immediately after the finals, what would Miami have done differently? Who would they have signed? I can't remember the free agency class, but I don't recall any other big fish except for Melo. Do you really want some of that? I think Miami did quite well, both during free agency and afterwards. I mean, honestly, it could have been far worse, wouldn't you agree? As it stands, if everyone is healthy next year, they're a top 3 or 4 team in the east, are they not?

Yeah there wasn't anyone available who would have really helped our team. I think Ray Allen may have come back if Lebron had stayed, but that is about it. In the long run, I think things will work out nicely for us. I mean we stumbled on a potential franchise player in Hassan Whiteside, and we are in pretty good shape to sign an excellent point guard in the offseason. Even if Lebron had stayed, I don't think the Heat would be able to beat the Warriors/Spurs this year.

I don't get why Heat fans hate Lebron, he certainly didn't do Miami as dirty as he did Cleveland. We had a great run, won two championships, got to four straight Finals, but he chose to go to a different team, and we need to get over it and move on. I don't dislike Lebron anymore than before he came to the Heat, and it would not bother me in the slightest if the Cavs win the championship. The main thing I dislike about the Cavs is the idiot bandwagon fans that jumped ship from the Miami Heat. Plus,I don't really like all the fans who burned jerseys, booed him every time he touched the ball, and then acted like none of it ever happened.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Visualizing team offenses by style:

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/04/16/visualizing-team-offense-by-style/

I identified traits of offensive style that I thought reflected process—pace, ball movement, player movement and shot selection.

Pace is measured by Michael Beuoy’s average seconds per offensive possession. Ball movement and player movement are both measured with statistics created by our own Adam Mares—average seconds between passes and Half-Court Pace, respectively. Shot selection is measured by Seth Partnow’s expected effective field goal percentage, which takes into account shot location as well as defender distance and the split between catch-and-shoot and pull-up jumpshots. This is the only really tricky one to be used as a measure of process because it’s very closely correlated with results. However, there are enough differences to make it workable.

Using those four measurements, and a technique blatantly stolen from Seth’s Point Guard Personality Test, we can put those four elements on separate axes and see a stylistic fingerprint for each team’s offensive process.

HlpBaqcl.png

2F873kDl.png

xsc0lTKl.png

9tMkyWKl.png

5dSyoAjl.png

Yeah there wasn't anyone available who would have really helped our team. I think Ray Allen may have come back if Lebron had stayed, but that is about it. In the long run, I think things will work out nicely for us. I mean we stumbled on a potential franchise player in Hassan Whiteside, and we are in pretty good shape to sign an excellent point guard in the offseason. Even if Lebron had stayed, I don't think the Heat would be able to beat the Warriors/Spurs this year.

I don't get why Heat fans hate Lebron, he certainly didn't do Miami as dirty as he did Cleveland. We had a great run, won two championships, got to four straight Finals, but he chose to go to a different team, and we need to get over it and move on. I don't dislike Lebron anymore than before he came to the Heat, and it would not bother me in the slightest if the Cavs win the championship. The main thing I dislike about the Cavs is the idiot bandwagon fans that jumped ship from the Miami Heat. Plus,I don't really like all the fans who burned jerseys, booed him every time he touched the ball, and then acted like none of it ever happened.

I get why Heat fans hate Lebron. I just think them snubbing the Cavs fanbase is just over the top ludicrous.

Woo seeds are in!

Probably won't happen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs get knocked out by the Clippers. I know Lakers fans are suppose to hate them, but Clippers have had no success until recently. I also do like Clipper Darrell.

Bulls getting knocked out over the Bucks I support as well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I thought they started HGH testing this season?
They delayed it to have time to develop the appropriate procedures. And by appropriate procedures they mean give the players time to get off the stuff and hide the evidence. It's why everyone spent last summer losing weight and why everyone has been extra injured this year.

I wanted to say May God bless this Clips against the Spurs.. But its the Clippers so at some point in the most important part of the season they are bound to disappoint you.

dream

You know it's going to be Pitbull or Pharell. Commissioner Stern may be gone, but the mandate of safe, non-threatening urban culture is still there.

Mxrz

All in with Atlanta and Memphis, I suppose.

East is going to be another snorefest until the Hawks & the LeBrons meet. Only Spurs-Clippers will be all that interesting in round one. Rondo has killed Dallas. Maybe Portland can upset Memphis since they're out of sorts.

No Westbrook is a bummer.

All in with Atlanta and Memphis, I suppose.

East is going to be another snorefest until the Hawks & the LeBrons meet. Only Spurs-Clippers will be all that interesting in round one. Rondo has killed Dallas. Maybe Portland can upset Memphis since they're out of sorts.

No Westbrook is a bummer.

Raps killed the Hawks 3-0 breh, it's cavs vs. the raps.

NBA Championship odds

Cleveland Cavaliers - 11/5
Golden State Warriors - 11/5
San Antonio Spurs - 7/2
Atlanta Hawks - 12/1
Chicago Bulls - 12/1
Houston Rockets - 16/1
Los Angeles Clippers - 18/1
Memphis Grizzlies - 28/1
Dallas Mavericks - 40/1
Portland Trailblazers - 40/1
Toronto Raptors - 50/1
Washington Wizards - 75/1
Boston Celtics - 150/1
New Orleans Pelicans - 150/1
Brooklyn Nets - 200/1
Milwaukee Bucks - 250/1

Spurs have the best odds for a 6 seed that I've ever seen
Milwaukee Bucks have the worst odds for a 6 seed that I've ever seen

Mxrz

Never will understand this continued faith in the Bulls to be anything more than a second round exit.

Looking at it, Spurs probably have one of the toughest roads to the finals in a while.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
NBA Championship odds

San Antonio Spurs - 7/2
Atlanta Hawks - 12/1
Chicago Bulls - 12/1
Houston Rockets - 16/1
Memphis Grizzlies - 28/1
Dallas Mavericks - 40/1
Toronto Raptors - 50/1
Boston Celtics - 150/1
Brooklyn Nets - 200/1
Milwaukee Bucks - 250/1

Crazy. Even crazier considering that since someone has to make it out of the east, all the eastern teams have a statistical advantage over the western teams. I can't imagine how low the Bucks odds would be if not for the conference system.

Never will understand this continued faith in the Bulls to be anything more than a second round exit.

The last time they had a healthy Rose, they made it to the ECF. This is the most healthy they have been since the beginning of the year, and they certainly have the talent to go past the 2nd round. Of course, there is a high probability that a major player goes down and ruins them just like the past 3 years.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
These Western Conf. Playoffs will be HYPE! I can't wait. Too bad we won't see YNB in the playoffs this year.

East...meh

Into

The Clips starting 5 will play what...40-42 minutes against the Spurs? Their bench is so fucking wretched they pretty much have to. And then they can just hack-a-Jordan which Popski has shown he is fond off in crunch time.

I cant see Clips winning brehs, another early exit for Paul, whose gimmick is that he is a great player who cannot win when it really matters. Those 48 seconds against Thunder last year will define him

(he is still the best PG in the game, but you know how basketball fans are with winning)

nasax

Looking at the schedule, those Eastern conference games are going to be great to take naps through or do other things while waiting for the Western conf. games to start.

Ogni-XR21

Anyone got some experience with VPN's to access this? I heard the league pass is much cheaper for some countries so I was wondering if this works with a VPN and I could access this with a proxy from Indonesia, for example.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Looking at it, Spurs probably have one of the toughest roads to the finals in a while.

The bulls are 1 of 2 teams to beat the warriors at home.

and the made the ecf with keith boagans and boozer in the starting lineup....

NBA Championship odds

San Antonio Spurs - 7/2
Atlanta Hawks - 12/1
Chicago Bulls - 12/1
Houston Rockets - 16/1
Memphis Grizzlies - 28/1
Dallas Mavericks - 40/1
Toronto Raptors - 50/1
Boston Celtics - 150/1
Brooklyn Nets - 200/1
Milwaukee Bucks - 250/1

I think we all know of Atlanta's tendency to collapse in the post-season....but those odds are stupid for them. That squad has just a good a chance to get to and win the 'Ship as the Golden State. What makes those 2 teams different anyway? Both are heavily loaded with talent, great outside shooting, superior guard play, fantastic ball movement, and they never give up (many come from behind wins this season). I don't see anything Atlanta lacks that GS doesn't, though I will agree that Curry and Thompson are better individual players than anyone on Atlanta's roster, pound for pound.

Going through the weaker conference, I don't see any reason why Atlanta's odds are any longer than the other top teams. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on them to beat CLE for sure. That's my team, but most of the most important players on that team will be playing their first fucking playoff game in their lives on Sunday, and fuckball won't get CLE to the Finals.

My money?

Hawks vs Rockets
Hawks vs Spurs

CLE and GS have a lot to prove in the playoffs IMO. GS less so, since they were there competing last year. I can't pass them the crown until San Antonio has been eliminated from the playoffs.

Fjordson

GS actually did even better in the playoffs two years ago. This is their third year in a row of competitive bball in the West (which is big for us!).

I think we all know of Atlanta's tendency to collapse in the post-season....but those odds are stupid for them. That squad has just a good a chance to get to and win the 'Ship as the Golden State. What makes those 2 teams different anyway? Both are heavily loaded with talent, great outside shooting, superior guard play, fantastic ball movement, and they never give up (many come from behind wins this season). I don't see anything Atlanta lacks that GS doesn't, though I will agree that Curry and Thompson are better individual players than anyone on Atlanta's roster, pound for pound.

Going through the weaker conference, I don't see any reason why Atlanta's odds are any longer than the other top teams. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on them to beat CLE for sure. That's my team, but most of the most important players on that team will be playing their first fucking playoff game in their lives on Sunday, and fuckball won't get CLE to the Finals.

My money?

Hawks vs Rockets
Hawks vs Spurs

CLE and GS have a lot to prove in the playoffs IMO. GS less so, since they were there competing last year. I can't pass them the crown until San Antonio has been eliminated from the playoffs.

12-1 aren't terrible odds and about where I would think they'd be. The reason why CLE and GS have better odds are simply b/c of star power. When you need to go out and get a bucket, both of those teams have that guy (or guys) that can simply do it on his own whereas I don't think ATL has that as much as the teams above them..But whatever, it's just betting odds.

GS actually did even better in the playoffs two years ago. This is their third year in a row of competitive bball in the West (which is big for us!).

I wonder what the result of that series would've been had we actually won game 1 against the Spurs that year instead of throwing spectacularly and giving them a game they had no business winning.

Yea man that's invaluable experience. They know what the pressure is like and they've been close. I'm just interested in seeing the adjustments they have to make to beat someone like the Rockets or Spurs 4 times out of seven with a healthy Dwight Howard or a healthy Spurs roster. Just feels like a big ask for just about anyone. If anyone can do it they can, but...I'm just not sure.

Can't say the same about the Hawks or Cavs in terms of experience among the starters, but at least the Hawks play well-rounded basketball. That along with the pressure of post-season play might be enough to beat the Cavs all by itself. I hope not, but I won't be surprised either. I still feel like they're a decent backup PG and a "fitting in" Kevin Love away from a real Finals run.

12-1 aren't terrible odds and about where I would think they'd be. The reason why CLE and GS have better odds are simply b/c of star power. When you need to go out and get a bucket, both of those teams have that guy (or guys) that can simply do it on his own whereas I don't think ATL has that as much as the teams above them..But whatever, it's just betting odds.

I hear you, I just think that's an odd distinction. ATL has 5 people that can go out and get a bucket when you really need one. That's really the point. Just because they don't have a ball-hogging star demanding the ball in every game decided in the last 30 seconds doesn't mean they don't have players with the talent and confidence to get it done. I mean, which of their starters would you NOT want with the ball in their hands with the game on the line? All of them produce in the clutch, and they all shoot free throws well. There's a reason why they shit on most of the NBA all season long. It's not because of a lack of clutch talent.

Top Bottom