• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montresor

Is it just me or are these new Rogers commercials fucking horrible? The old beautiful "There are no words" commercials are replaced with these garbage slow-motion commercials.

Rogers has fucked the broadcasts this season. I am SICK of seeing Strombo and Kypreos every game.

zroid

Banned
Headshot on Kucherov? Even with all the replays it was too fast for me to see.

their height difference made it seem like Kronwall's arm got Kooch in the head, not really sure though

he looks like he got shook up, hope it's not a concussion

edit: seems like it might have been a charge

Cindro

that's typical.

they are less likely to call penalties and i like that.
I've noticed this for sure this year - is this par for the course during playoffs? The physicality is part of the draw to hockey as a sport in general (so long as people are still saying *reasonably* safe), but is there a specific logic to not calling as many penalties during the playoffs? Is it sort of a "gentleman's agreement" of sorts amongst the NHL and referees that less whistles are blown during the post-season? It's just logically inconsistent, so I'm wondering what the "official" excuse is (if there is one).

zroid

Banned
Just gonna leave his here

RIP Caps

CDmmWZBWAAIY7vU.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I've noticed this for sure this year - is this par for the course during playoffs? The physicality is part of the draw to hockey as a sport in general (so long as people are still saying *reasonably* safe), but is there a specific logic to not calling as many penalties during the playoffs? Is it sort of a "gentleman's agreement" of sorts amongst the NHL and referees that less whistles are blown during the post-season? It's just logically inconsistent, so I'm wondering what the "official" excuse is (if there is one).

well... it's partly because it makes better hockey

also you really want the teams to win on their own and not because of penalties

a lot of stuff that happens in playoffs just won't fly in regular season

There is a sort of "let them play" mentality when it comes to the playoffs. A game bogged down by power plays and parades to the box is not an exciting game to watch.

Quick

Banned
That Fido commercial bugs me a little: the guy's listening to music, but I don't see a headphone jack plugged in to his phone.

Anaheim lost both games bad against Tampa Bay. I realize our mistake was focusing on shooting high on Bishop because of his height, looks like he's weak down low.

Not that Tampa Bay is making the Cup finals. But good to know

a916

You're going to call that goaltending interference in an inconsequential play but leaping head shots you'll hold your whistles?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Absolutely pathetic. Zero pressure, no chances, constantly in our own zone. Anytime we get near their zone, they take it off our sticks and skate out uncontested. Its fucking awful.

And that Ovechkin non-call for boarding was BS.

Cindro

well... it's partly because it makes better hockey

also you really want the teams to win on their own and not because of penalties

a lot of stuff that happens in playoffs just won't fly in regular season
But what is the internal logic within the league? It doesn't make sense for the rules to only apply some of the time. Don't get me wrong - I have no qualms with it whatsoever. I'm just genuinely curious as to how the NHL justifies the hypocrisy of having their rules only apply some of the time.

There is a sort of "let them play" mentality when it comes to the playoffs. A game bogged down by power plays and parades to the box is not an exciting game to watch.
What's the line with the "let them play" mentality, though? Sometimes things can get ugly in hockey, and if boundaries start to be arbitrarily drawn during the playoffs... it just seems like a road that's too inconsistent for a multi-billion dollar institution to travel down.

Also, I disagree that Power Plays make games less exciting - I'm definitely on the edge of my seat far more when either team has a PP opportunity, because the stakes are so much higher.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wings are so getting the next two penalties called against them unless it's a blatant high stick or puck over glass on Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom