• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT2| Ovi guaranteed a good thread title

iLLmAtlc

So do you guys think Toews would be the 1st overall pick if the nhl had a draft tomorrow?

I say yes but I don't think he deserves it. I'd still take Crosby or Seguin because of the offence.

But I don't believe in the clutch thing. I think that's almost all luck. Believing in that nonsense leads you to sign hacks like Bickell to 4 million or whatever. He's aa great player on a great team and he gets many opportunities in big moments. You guys telling me the Penguins could make the cup final with Crosby scoring 1 goal in the first 99% of the playoff games like Toews in 2013? Hell nah.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So do you guys think Toews would be the 1st overall pick if the nhl had a draft tomorrow?

I say yes but I don't think he deserves it. I'd still take Crosby or Seguin because of the offence.

But I don't believe in the clutch thing. I think that's almost all luck. Believing in that nonsense leads you to sign hacks like Bickell to 4 million or whatever. He's aa great player on a great team and he gets many opportunities in big moments. You guys telling me the Penguins could make the cup final with Crosby scoring 1 goal in the first 99% of the playoff games like Toews in 2013? Hell nah.
You're nuts if you take Seguin over Toews. Nuts. Crosby you could make a case for, but Seguin is a joke. Toews is so good at every aspect of the game.

zroid

Banned
You're nuts if you take Seguin over Toews. Nuts. Crosby you could make a case for, but Seguin is a joke. Toews is so good at every aspect of the game.

I actually agree, I think Toews's offense is underrated (much like Bergeron's). If he were put in more offensive situations he would probably score more than he does.

The "clutch" thing is of course overblown, but there's a reason it happens -- because he's put in offensive situations when he's needed and he delivers.

ZeroGravity

Garth Brooks was forced to cancel all three of his concerts in Tampa this week because the Lightning got home ice advantage lol

iLLmAtlc

My rationale is Seguins offence is much harder to find, and much more expensive to buy than Toews' best skills, his two way play.

Seguin is still only 23 too.

Revenant

WPMf8.gif

Crosby absolutely, Seguin? your team is the new Edmonton Oilers, or if in this fantasy draft situation you are drafting for the Edmonton Oilers, you probably just got a contract extension.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My rationale is Seguins offence is much harder to find, and much more expensive to buy than Toews' best skills, his two way play.

Seguin is still only 23 too.
The idea that raw offensive skill is more valuable than a complete 200 foot game is flawed. You can put Toews in any situation, and he'll excel. You can't say that with Seguin. It's not even a competition tbh.

If the Hawks win and Duncan Keith continues the way he is playing is he Conn Smythe winner?
Without a doubt.

I get the feeling that the Lightning could become like the Hawks if things work out for them. Stamkos is a better scorer than Toews but needs to step up more often. Johnson can be compared to Kane with his game-breaking ability. Hedman isn't Keith but he has upside. Bishop and Crawford can both bounce back after tough outings.

ZeroGravity

I get the feeling that the Lightning could become like the Hawks if things work out for them. Stamkos is a better scorer than Toews but needs to step up more often. Johnson can be compared to Kane with his game-breaking ability. Hedman isn't Keith but he has upside. Bishop and Crawford can both bounce back after tough outings.
They're a lot more evenly matched than I think a lot of people want to admit. Should be a good series.

Also I'll have the Stanley Cup OT up later today.

What I find funny are the folks who talk shit about Ben Bishop saying he's a shitty goalie. It's probably better to acknowledge he's at least good. Who wants to admit their team got beat by a shitty goalie.

He can let in some stinkers but he's pretty capable

What I find funny are the folks who talk shit about Ben Bishop saying he's a shitty goalie. It's probably better to acknowledge he's at least good. Who wants to admit their team got beat by a shitty goalie.

It's only rangers fans who harp on it. Yes, he's not a great goalie but they seem to fail to mention how there's nothing but crappy players except their goalie on their team.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Bishop's not a shitty goalie by any means at all (he has literally always owned us), but he did not play well in the ECF at all. I've seen him play very well plenty of times, and this wasn't it. He was "good enough" in a couple of the games, though, and he was almost completely untested in his two shutouts, which should be deservedly credited to the team in front of him.

To be fair, Hank wasn't especially stellar in that series either, at least not by his standards. If he doesn't let in Kucherov's nothing OT winner in Game 3, for example, we'd be getting ready for the Blackhawks right now. He did stand on his head a few times when we needed it, but he wasn't his usual consistent self.

But, you know, hockey and stuff.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Could Duncan Keith do all his fancy skatings and shootings if physical presence Bryan Bickell wasn't out there taking up space and occasionally running into people?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Some Kings fans were teasing about the Ducks lost and how the Kings have one more Cup. They don't care that they didn't make the playoffs. LOL.

Kings fans only care about ruining other people's experience. The only reason they care about winning the Cup is because it meant they could rub it into Ducks fans faces for a while.

Bishop's not a shitty goalie by any means at all (he has literally always owned us), but he did not play well in the ECF at all. I've seen him play very well plenty of times, and this wasn't it. He was "good enough" in a couple of the games, though, and he was almost completely untested in his two shutouts, which should be deservedly credited to the team in front of him.

To be fair, Hank wasn't especially stellar in that series either, at least not by his standards. If he doesn't let in Kucherov's nothing OT winner in Game 3, for example, we'd be getting ready for the Blackhawks right now. He did stand on his head a few times when we needed it, but he wasn't his usual consistent self.

But, you know, hockey and stuff.

An average goalie doesn't post two shutouts on the road in two of the most important games of the series.

I would say Bishop is inconsistent. The series was sloppy at times but both teams deserved to be there and either could be in the Finals right now.

Top Bottom