• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT2| Ovi guaranteed a good thread title

https://twitter.com/Discovery/status/598881558842482688

giphy.gif

lol-duck.gif

Chris R

Holy shit at that Discovery Channel burn.

What are the SCF dates? I'll be in Chicago next month and would love to watch a SCF game
And to see the Rangers/TB fucking DESTROY them

Giggzy

Speaking of Chicago, I want deep dish pizza today.

Smack/Calamari, have either one of you tried Rance's in Costa Mesa?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit at that Discovery Channel burn.

What are the SCF dates? I'll be in Chicago next month and would love to watch a SCF game
And to see the Rangers/TB fucking DESTROY them

NBCSN has been advertising the Stanley Cup Final as beginning on June 3 for a while now. Could just be a placeholder, though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Speaking of Chicago, I want deep dish pizza today.

Smack/Calamari, have either one of you tried Rance's in Costa Mesa?

I haven't... I don't go to Harbor as much as I should for food. They've really upped their game over the last ~5-10 years.

ZeroGravity

Amazing to remember that there are only two players on this Lightning team left over from the 2011 team that went to the ECF. Yzerman completely rebuilt this franchise and got them back to the same place in just four years.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
NYR vs. WSH (7 games)
MTL vs. TB (7 games)

ANA vs. CGY (7 games)
CHI vs. MIN (7 games)

1/4. I'll never make it as a fortune teller, that for sure.
Rangers too stronk

ANA vs. CHI (7 games)
NYR vs. TB (7 games)

Solo

Amazing to remember that there are only two players on this Lightning team left over from the 2011 team that went to the ECF. Yzerman completely rebuilt this franchise and got them back to the same place in just four years.

Habs did the same between 2010 and 2014.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So apparently the headquarters of Discovery Channel are... in a DC suburb. (DC in DC wut)

That tweet-burn suddenly makes so much more sense. :lol

You'd think the West final would start first since the teams only played 5 and 4 games.

I'll be in New York next week. Meta, what's a good place to watch the game?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You'd think the West final would start first since the teams only played 5 and 4 games.

I'll be in New York next week. Meta, what's a good place to watch the game?

I've actually never really done the whole bar thing for games, but I know there are a few around that are usually Rangers hubs. They're pretty much all in close proximity to the Garden. There's the Flying Puck on 7th Ave. about a block down from the Garden. Stout on 33rd St. between 6th and 7th (again a block from the Garden) hosts a lot of the "official" viewing parties. Blarney Rock Pub is right next door, too. There's a bunch of other sports bars in the vicinity too.

Chris R

NBCSN has been advertising the Stanley Cup Final as beginning on June 3 for a while now. Could just be a placeholder, though.

Hmmn... maybe if both series end in 4 they can move the dates up so NY can be in the cup but I can watch a 3rd/4th game in Chicago, or I guess they could start it on the 3rd and Tampa could be in the series :\

Rangers in 6 - Will be another low scoring series, Hank is king and out for blood.
Ducks in 7 - Don't really care who wins but i'll go with the Ducks for more gifs.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Why is the wcf starting after the east? And why does America insist on having games so god damn early in the morning? Least it's only game one for each.

I've actually never really done the whole bar thing for games, but I know there are a few around that are usually Rangers hubs. They're pretty much all in close proximity to the Garden. There's the Flying Puck on 7th Ave. about a block down from the Garden. Stout on 33rd St. between 6th and 7th (again a block from the Garden) hosts a lot of the "official" viewing parties. Blarney Rock Pub is right next door, too. There's a bunch of other sports bars in the vicinity too.

Great, I'll probably just go around that area and find a good place to watch.

If I wasn't traveling light I would bring my Canucks jersey. Don't think I'd get any hate from the Rangers faithful. :p

ESPN released an article today about the top players still going in the playoffs. I can only see the top 3 - no insider - but they have:

3. Getzlaf
2. Lundqvist
1. Toews

I take Kane over Toews 100/100 times. I don't understand how Toews is better at all.

Marvie halp

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
ESPN released an article today about the top players still going in the playoffs. I can only see the top 3 - no insider - but they have:

3. Getzlaf
2. Lundqvist
1. Toews

I take Kane over Toews 100/100 times. I don't understand how Toews is better at all.

Marvie halp

NHL.com has a list today of top 5 Conn Smythe candidates. Their list is:

5) Kane
4) Johnson
3) Keith
2) Perry
1) Lundqvist

Socreges

Banned

3. Getzlaf
2. Lundqvist
1. Toews

Marvie halp
Toews has 11 points and is a better all-around player. What's difficult to understand?

Giggzy

I enjoy watching newer hockey fans try to pronounce toews.

There's a dude at my work that's been really into hockey for a few years now (started when the Kings won the first cup, go figure), and he still pronounces it as toes.

zroid

Banned
Toews has 11 points and is a better all-around player. What's difficult to understand?

Not to start a debate here, 'cause that's not what I'm trying to do, but I think it's important to realize that Kane is as effective an offensive player as he is because he's surrounded by guys like Toews and Hossa who can handle the tough assignments (and thrive against them).

For example, see below (data for all CHI forwards this season+playoffs):

xhiFwd5l.png

(edit: I changed the size variable to Pts/60 to convey the offensive production of these players. Yes, Kane is very productive as you'd expect. So is Toews.)

Kane gets among the most offensive zone starts on the team, and faces medium competition -- on average! That's despite the fact that most opposing teams try to send their best players against him to limit his effectiveness. So really there's a see-saw effect where Quenneville attempts to use Kane in high leverage situations, whereas opposing coaches try to counteract that.

Kane is a phenomenal talent but Chicago has great team success because they work like a well-oiled machine, letting all of their players thrive under optimal situations. Unlike a lot of other teams, they're deep enough to have players for pretty much all situations.

TL;DR: Kane and Toews are both really good at what they do

Socreges

Banned
Not to start a debate here, 'cause that's not what I'm trying to do, but I think it's important to realize that Kane is as effective an offensive player as he is because he's surrounded by guys like Toews and Hossa who can handle the tough assignments (and thrive against them).

57Xeq9xl.png

Kane gets among the most offensive zone starts on the team, and faces medium competition -- on average! That's despite the fact that most opposing teams try to send their best players against him to limit his effectiveness. So really there's a see-saw effect where Quenneville attempts to use Kane in high leverage situations, whereas opposing coaches try to counteract that.

Kane is a phenomenal talent but Chicago has great team success because they work like a well-oiled machine, letting all of their players thrive under optimal situations. Unlike a lot of other teams, they're deep enough to have players for pretty much all situations.

Sure, sure data, evidence etc etc but Kane being better FEELS RIGHT.

Kane over Toews 1000/1000 times!

hulk-hogan-american-flag-guitar-hulk-hogan-gifs.gif

I'll start the fire myself then

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

57Xeq9xl.png

TIL Versteeg is literally as good as Kane

Top Bottom