• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT2| Ovi guaranteed a good thread title

manfestival

Like clockwork, as soon as I start getting down on this team they respond with a terrific effort. Stop playing with my emotions.

This is exactly how I feel. I feel like the 3rd period is where they truly shine and if they dominate in the first period. It is pretty much a wrap.

LJ11

On the brightside for the Rangers, they couldn't have been worse, no discipline at all and paid for it, but they managed to play pretty good 5 on 5 hockey. Possessed a puck a lot when they weren't in the fucking box. Just stay out of the fucking box unless you guys want to go home. Took a ton of shots, no fucking finish, but considering the amount of penalties we took we did an ok job possessing the puck.

Still expect to lose this series. Seemed like Staal was out there all game long against the Johnson/Kutcherov/Palat, wasn't the case in game 1. Have to keep McD & the abortion that is Girardi on that line.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Does that count the assist on Johnson's first goal?
Well played.

Most frustrating thing about this is that I thought Bishop was pretty poor tonight overall, despite what the save percentage says. Lightning D bailed him out a ton tonight, while Hank didn't have a whole lot of help on pretty much any of Tampa's goals. There were rebounds and bouncing pucks around Bishop's crease all night long.

Have to give Tampa credit for being super opportunistic. Felt like almost every opportunity they were given they buried.

I'm trying to think of when we played that badly, and I'm really struggling. The main thing that comes to mind were the back to back games we were shut out in back in January.

Marvie_3

Banned
Have to head out tomorrow night for a birthday party so I'm only going to get to watch the first period from home. At least I'll be able to watch the rest from the bar.

Quick

Banned
Have to head out tomorrow night for a birthday party so I'm only going to get to watch the first period from home. At least I'll be able to watch the rest from the bar.

Happy Birthday Marvie.

It's not my birthday.

Actual picture of Marvie on his birthday.

ibpAFLsQawo9S5.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
Marvie it's your birthday
And God bless you this day
You gave me the gift of a stellar poster
And I'm proud of you today

Marvie it's your birthday!
Happy birthday Marvie!
Happy birthday Marvie!

I wish you love and goodwill
I wish you praise and joy
I wish you better than your heart desires
And your first kiss from a boy

Happy birthday Marvie!
Happy birthday Marvie!

Yeah!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight's game was the Rangers' worst loss in the playoffs since Game 1 of the first round in 2006.

That's playoff game #1 of Henrik Lundqvist's career.

Tonight was playoff game #106 of Henrik Lundqvist's career.

I have full faith that the Hawks will deliver Marvie a win for his birthday and then Toews will wink at the camera and mouth "that was for you" and then Marvie will have the best birthday and then his Groundhog Day Birthday Curse will finally end.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
How is Witcher 3 so far?

I like it. Few little things bug me. Looting and using the camera in tight spots is a little off. Climbing/jumping can be a lil janky. Merchants don't restock their gold fast enough. Nothing major though. Oh gwent(card game) crashes the game if you pass apparently which sucks though I've only played the one guy so far and it didn't. Shame game is fun. Sure it'll be patched. Played about 6 hrs so far. Done almost everything in the prologue area. Bears hit like a truck >.>

Oh and happy b-day marvie.

zroid

Banned
Interesting read (with video / gif analysis) on why the Bolts seem to be struggling possession-wise in the playoffs despite being so dominant in the reg season. http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/lightning-losing-the-possession-battle-at-their-own-blue-line/

When we looked at Tampa’s successful neutral zone forecheck back in February, it was noted that most of their possession dominance stems from the way the team “pressures their opponents with ferocity on the forecheck, and plays smart positional hockey in the neutral zone to force turnovers and push the puck back into their opposition’s zone.” The team hasn’t been able to do this in the playoffs, and they haven’t been controlling the puck because of it.

When looking at video of Tampa’s play in the playoffs, their possession issues seem to stem from the huge problems they have at their own blue line. Not only are opposition skaters moving into their zone with ease, their own defenseman are having trouble clearing the zone with control of the puck. When they are spending too much time in their zone, they can’t use their speed and aggressiveness on the forecheck, and their system loses most of its effectiveness.

The Bolts need more skill on their blue line. So far in these playoffs, their best possession players have been Anton Stralman, Victor Hedman, and Nikita Nesterov. All three have the ability to skate the puck out of trouble, and can force opposing forechecks to play them, creating openings for their teammates to break the puck out.

Scratching Nesterov in favor of Andrej Sustr just doesn’t make sense, especially not when Sustr is getting abused and targeted by the opposition when he isn’t heavily sheltered. Cooper is a smart man, so the most likely conclusion here is that he wants his team playing a more conservative, less risky style of hockey. It’s a classic case of risk aversion, and the once dominant Bolts have become a team that relies on percentages to win hockey games because of it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rick Nash and Martin St. Louis combined: 2 goals, 13 points

Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard, and Derek Stepan combined: 16 goals, 26 points

The entire New York Rangers have 28 goals in these playoffs.

Tampa's Triplets have 21.

ZeroGravity

It's still amazing to me how fast Marty declined. He was having one of his best seasons in his entire career before the trade.

Not that I'm complaining, but he seemed like another Jagr in that he'd be productive well into his 40's.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's still amazing to me how fast Marty declined. He was having one of his best seasons in his entire career before the trade.

Not that I'm complaining, but he seemed like another Jagr in that he'd be productive well into his 40's.

He was great in last year's playoffs and great to start this season in October and November, too. Then the Rangers got good, and he got really old, really fast.

Kind of bizarre, really. If you asked me in mid-November, I would have told you that we would be signing MSL to a new two-year deal at the end of the season.

Top Bottom