• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT2| Ovi guaranteed a good thread title

ZeroGravity

Looks like those rumblings of the flu going around the Lightning locker room have some truth to it after all:

Erik Erlendsson @erlendssonTBO
Cooper dodges question about whether a virus or flu is running through the room, hints at it, but says all will come out when playoffs over
Hopefully with the extra day they'll be healthy enough to not be completely blown out in Game 7.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like those rumblings of the flu going around the Lightning locker room have some truth to it after all:

Hopefully with the extra day they'll be healthy enough to not be completely blown out in Game 7.
When he was asked last night if the extra day was going to be good for the Lightning, he said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Yes, we need to get healthy." Clearly there are some issues there.

Calamari41

41 > 38
A true winner would just shit his pantaloons out there on the ice, or drop to their hands and knees behind the net and just throw up. They have people they pay to come out and clean that up. It's their problem, not yours, Lightnings.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
A true winner would just shit his pantaloons out there on the ice, or drop to their hands and knees behind the net and just throw up. They have people they pay to come out and clean that up. It's their problem, not yours, Lightnings.

Basically the NY subway approach, then.

Discourtesy of the Chicago Tribune:

Faceoff %

1. Ryan Kesler, Ducks 59.6
2. Nate Thompson, Ducks 58.7
3. Antoine Vermette, Blackhawks 57.5
4. Valterri Filpulla, Lightning 55.6
5. Steve Stamkos, Lightning 54.4
6. Jonathan Toews, Blackhawks 53.0
6. Dominic Moore, Rangers 53.0
8. Ryan Getzlaf, Ducks 51.9
9. Brian Boyle, Lightning 51.5
10.Tyler Johnson, Lightning 51.2

1. Ducks 53.8 (regular season 9th, 51.6)
2. Lightning 51.5(regular season 16th, 49.7)
3. Blackhawks 50.4 (regular season 5th, 52.0)
4. Rangers 45.0 (regular season 28th, 46.7)

I typed it all out because I was bored.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Well, time for another night of fever dreams while the Ducks and the Hawks go at it, culminating in my finally waking up and hovering over the refresh button on nhl.com like someone procrastinating on reading their STD test results.

Sounds like Rundblad might be playing tonight. Congrats Ducks-age.

I know a series isn't over until you're in the handshake line, and I've learned that you can't count the Hawks out until the final horn and they have less goals then the Ducks. And the Ducks have been much better than many people, myself included, have given them credit for.

But with that said

Outside of Period 1 in Game 5 I can't think of a series in recent memory with this team where the coaching has been the deciding factor in losing games. The lineup in Game 3, Bickell's corpse dragging everyone down, etc., I feel this series has been decided by Q more than anything else. I know it's up to the players on the ice but it's the coaches job to put his players in the best position to win and as of right now all the Hawks wins in this series seem to be in spite of Q.

Maybe he'll prove us wrong, and I want a Game 7
and a Stanley Cup while we're at it
but I don't know if they can win this one at home much less the next two.

EDIT: I guess what I'm getting at is win or lose, Q deserves true criticism for his decisions. "He's won two cups" can not be a get out of jail free card for the rest of his time in Chicago

Marvie_3

Banned
I know a series isn't over until you're in the handshake line, and I've learned that you can't count the Hawks out until the final horn and they have less goals then the Ducks. And the Ducks have been much better than many people, myself included, have given them credit for.

But with that said

Outside of Period 1 in Game 5 I can't think of a series in recent memory with this team where the coaching has been the deciding factor in losing games. The lineup in Game 3, Bickell's corpse dragging everyone down, etc., I feel this series has been decided by Q more than anything else. I know it's up to the players on the ice but it's the coaches job to put his players in the best position to win and as of right now all the Hawks wins in this series seem to be in spite of Q.

EDIT: I guess what I'm getting at is win or lose, Q deserves true criticism for his decisions. "He's won two cups" can not be a get out of jail free card for the rest of his time in Chicago
Kings series last year was the same kinds of shit.

I kind of want the Rangers to lose so that we don't have to go through another few weeks of constant "The Rangers have never lost under this new set of specific circumstances which conveniently doesn't cover the many times they've been eliminated over the last two decades."

"The Rangers have never lost an elimination game where they outscored their opponent."

Marvie_3

Banned
Odds on Hossa or Sharp scoring???

:[

i9P5KWajm9vtw.gif

Marvie_3

Banned

But with that said

I've said many times that those two Cups came in spite of Q, not because of him. This series has been a perfect example of that.

Hopefully the Hawks can overcome his stupidity yet again and win the next 2, but I'm not counting on it at this point.

I've said many times that those two Cups came in spite of Q, not because of him. This series has been a perfect example of that.

Hopefully the Hawks can overcome his stupidity yet again and win the next 2, but I'm not counting on it at this point.

Well, at least you know the Ducks won't come out on fire right away and the Hawks be awful like the beginning of the last game.

Not sure why it makes THAT much of a difference but the home ice seems to.

I know they lost one at home but it SHOULD be the Hawks being the aggressors early on but they have to put some pucks in the net.

I have them winning this game(anything can happen obviously) and losing the final game.

Marvie_3

Banned
Well, at least you know the Ducks won't come out on fire right away and the Hawks be awful like the beginning of the last game.

I know they lost one at home but it SHOULD be the Hawks being the aggressors early on but they have to put some pucks in the net.

I have them winning this game(anything can happen obviously) and losing the final game.
If they can play like the played the 2nd and 3rd periods on monday they should be fine. They can't keep playing with fire like they did in the 1st period of that game.

It'd also be nice if certain players would finally step up too, Kane especially. This series has been some of the worst games I've ever seen him play. That has to change if the Hawks are going to have any chance of coming back and winning the series.

zychi

Banned

There was some stuff going around earlier in the season that Ana has some of the worst ice in the league, and it helps them immensely, like how the Bears shitty field helped them before.

If they can play like the played the 2nd and 3rd periods on monday they should be fine. They can't keep playing with fire like they did in the 1st period of that game.

It'd also be nice if certain players would finally step up too, Kane especially. This series has been some of the worst games I've ever seen him play. That has to change if the Hawks are going to have any chance of coming back and winning the series.

I'm disappointed in a lot of the Hawks.

Hossa still uses his intelligence and skill and physicality when he has the puck but loses it and can't hit the blind side of a barn on shots.

Sharp's invisible(though that pass for the gamewinner a few days ago was sweet---not sure if he saw the man open or he was just putting it in an area where someone very well could be).

Bickell obviously sucks but the announcers will act like he's making an impact because he hits people.

It's not been a great playoff run but they are RIGHT there, they can do this obviously.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm disappointed in a lot of the Hawks.

Hossa still uses his intelligence and skill and physicality when he has the puck but loses it and can't hit the blind side of a barn on shots.

Sharp's invisible(though that pass for the gamewinner a few days ago was sweet---not sure if he saw the man open or he was just putting it in an area where someone very well could be).

Bickell obviously sucks but the announcers will act like he's making an impact because he hits people.

It's not been a great playoff run but they are RIGHT there, they can do this obviously.
Hossa's shot has pretty much disappeared the last year or so. Playing on a line with Toews probably has a little to do with it though. Hoss doesn't seem to get a lot of the open ice he would get in the past where he had time to really set up his shots. He does everything else as well as he's ever done though. Skating, defense, strength, all still there.

It'd be interesting to see what he (as well as Toews) could do with a kid like Teuvo on their line. They'd still be rock solid defensively but they'd have someone with the smarts and the hands to set them up with some prime chances.

Bickell can go eat poisoned cat food out of a dumpster for all I care.

Cindro

I'm sure Quenneville brought the fire in the locker room today. He's utilizing those fresh legs and team depth, learning from each loss and each victory, funneling all of that knowledge into the fever pitch that will be a dominating Hawks victory tonight.

Like the strongest steel, Q knows that true victory can only be earned through a trial by fire.

Cindro

Of the 36 other head coaches in the rich history of the Chicago Blackhawks, none have won more games in such a short time span than Quenneville.

If today’s active coaches were a monarchy, Joel Quenneville would best be described as the King, despite current Los Angeles Kings coach Darryl Sutter not far behind in the rear view mirror. Quenneville’s 455 head coaching wins leads all active NHL head coaches

Patrick Kane's eyes were filled with tears while sitting in front of his locker moments after the Blackhawks had completed their first practice under coach Joel Quenneville just a little over six years ago.

Kane credits Quenneville will helping him become one of the NHL's top players.

"He's definitely made me a better two-way player," Kane said. "He's always expecting to be prepared defensively … and incorporate that into your game. And he's given me and pretty much everyone in here the freedom offensively to do what you want. You can't ask for much more than that."

When the call went against the Blackhawks, Quenneville appeared to grab his groin area and yell something at the officials.

"Joel's a passionate coach, and he's intense on the bench," Sharp said. "We certainly feel that as players. I think sometimes he wants to get his skates on and go out there and play with us. He's got a fire behind the bench that really filters through the team and makes us play that much better."

75962_blackhawks_quenneville_hockey.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Get your shit together United Center, it's the yoffs

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seems like a lot of penalties are being let go early, which is fine as long as they keep it that way.

Top Bottom