• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stencil

Well, crap, you sold me on them. Last minute Christmas gift for my wife and I. Ordered 2 English planners and the Knit and Brooch cover for her and the Saturn Valley cover for me!

Can't wait for them to arrive!

Where did you order them? It's all sold out! For the US distributor linked, at least. Bagels, know where I can get some stateside?

got mine the other day — i like the weeks version better, i don't think i'd keep up the regular one each day. that and i don't really have enough appointments anyway.

my 2016 edition has blue whales on it or something, i forget. still in the bag.

Erheller

Where did you order them? It's all sold out! For the US distributor linked, at least. Bagels, know where I can get some stateside?

You can buy directly from the official website and they'll ship it stateside. My total (book and cover) came out to be around the same price as Jetpen's price.

TFlat

Good timing for this thread, I just spotted the Mother 2 covers yesterday so decided to go with something a bit more interesting for next year.

i12LGoo.jpg

Anung

Un Rama
Well consider my interest piqued. What a great little thread you've made OP.

This seems like a charming and therapeutic thing to get involved with and a unique way to capture snapshots of my life with more personality than a journal. I've done a lot of traveling in the past year and amassed loads of little things like train tickets, fliers, cards and ads so it'd be nice to have somewhere unique to put them instead of just a box. Also trying to focus on creative writing so having a way to just jot ideas down quickly would be nice.

Can anyone speak to the quality of the Hobonichi Techo on that UK site? I'd like to grab one.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Well consider my interest piqued. What a great little thread you've made OP.

This seems like a charming and therapeutic thing to get involved with and a unique way to capture snapshots of my life with more personality than a journal. I've done a lot of traveling in the past year and amassed loads of little things like train tickets, fliers, cards and ads so it'd be nice to have somewhere unique to put them instead of just a box. Also trying to focus on creative writing so having a way to just jot ideas down quickly would be nice.

Can anyone speak to the quality of the Hobonichi Techo on that UK site? I'd like to grab one.

A Hobonichi Techo is a Hobonichi Techo. The UK site sells planners shipped to them from Japan. They don't sell cases themselves - that's the only issue. You can use it without a case, or find cases on Etsy or similar sites. It's pretty sturdy on its own, but the cases are definitely nice.

Anung

Un Rama
A Hobonichi Techo is a Hobonichi Techo. The UK site sells planners shipped to them from Japan. They don't sell cases themselves - that's the only issue. You can use it without a case, or find cases on Etsy or similar sites. It's pretty sturdy on its own, but the cases are definitely nice.

I literally realised that like 30 seconds after posting hahah D: thanks for letting me know though.

I grabbed one. I'll look into a case soon :D

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I almost forgot I picked up the "User Book" when I bought this year's Techo. I don't really recommend it, nice as it is. It has some general information about the various Hobonichi sizes, showing what all of the page elements are and it has a long list of tips for getting the most out of your life book. It's all nicely presented, and I got a few ideas from it, but it strikes me as more of a buyer's guide than a user's guide. It made me really want to buy a Hobonichi Techo, which I had already done, so I guess I didn't need it.

The guide does have a nice timeline of the 15 year history of the Hobonichi Techo.

In 2002, they launched with one size with one cover (navy blue). They sold 12,000 copies. In 2015, they sold 550,000 copies, offered 79 different covers, and shipped to 82 countries.

Other milestones:

2009 Cousin version launches
2011 Weeks version debuts
2013 English language edition launches along with English website
2014 English language webstore and facebook page launched. 98 cover versions
2015 Hobonichi Techo avec editions released
2016 All items now available through English language website.

pronk420

Potential UK Hobros, watch out for customs fees. You will get hit with an unavoidable £20+ fee if you order a book with a cover and other junk from the official website. The whole package cost me more than £40 back in September. :-(

I had this happen the first time I imported one, but then the second just went straight through with no charges (it was still over the price limit IIRC), its pretty random really. Although it seems like stuff shipped by EMS is far more likely to get caught up in customs.

Porcile

I had this happen the first time I imported one, but then the second just went straight through with no charges (it was still over the price limit IIRC), its pretty random really. Although it seems like stuff shipped by EMS is far more likely to get caught up in customs.

Better to expect it than to not expect it though. I factored in the cost when I bought it, but some might not realise. Just a warning really.

Lhadatt

Hey, thanks!

I should have mentioned the drying time thing. The one disadvantage of Tomoe River paper is that the coating does make wet inks dry more slowly. I think basically any pen or pencil works just fine - I use a bit of everything and have never had a problem. For a rollerball, I usually use Pilot G2s. I just got my wife a Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop pen that takes the G2 refills. I got myself one because I like the brass body of the Metropolitan and I wanted a rollerball to carry around. It's a nice pen and there are lots of G2 colors.
driph said:
After testing a variety of options, we settled on Jetstream multi pens for our Hobonichi planners.
Thanks both! I think I tried the G2 before, but I didn't care for it in the Techo. I may have been using something without as fine a point as I usually like. It looks like the Jetstreams are in stock near me, so I'll give that a go.

jstripes said:
*Bitches about hipsters and Moleskines*, then...

"My journal of choice? You've probably never heard of it."
You just don't know, brah. Everyone should try writing more. Composition, in all its forms, is a lost art among the masses. It's good to be picky about one's paper.

So, an example. I used a page to preserve my thoughts on techno-anarchism after watching a particular X-Files episode. Please also enjoy the crap drawing of a dopefish. Writing this out in the journal lifebook helped organize my thoughts to accommodate the limited space. I would have been editing-re-editing-re-re-editing this for a while if I was typing it up, or I might have truncated it to save time if I was tapping it into my spacephone, and part of the idea may have been lost or not as focused in the transition.

Click for larger.

Aizo

Banned
What are these magical markers that convert time and space into ink? Specifically, I want the dark blue, galaxy-like one that you wrote techo in.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
What are these magical markers that convert time and space into ink? Specifically, I want the dark blue, galaxy-like one that you wrote techo in.

Excellent. One big reason I want to do a new fountain pen thread is because I know a lot more about inks now!

The blue/red/gold/galaxy ink is J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Emerald of Chivor. A bottle is $26 (Goulet Pens link - available at other places as well) or a sample is $1.75. The sample will fill a pen twice. the bottle is probably a lifetime supply.

I always have ink on my hands.

There have now been 4 1670 (J. Herbin is the oldest ink company still around) inks so far. The first one, Rouge Hematite, has iron particles in it, while the next three have gold particles. Emerald of Chivor came out this year and quickly became my favorite ink of both the year and of all time. It's a beautiful turquoise color, with subtle green highlights, and a red sheen that comes out in inkier places. On top of all that, you have the gold particles, making it shiny. The appearance changes based on the viewing angle, which makes it impossible to really capture in photos. The effect is always amazing.

[If you don't want to mess with the gold particles, Sailor Jentle Yama-dori is this legendary ink that has the "blue base with red sheen" effect that is so neat to look at. I love it.]

An ink like this works best in a wetter pen. The word "Techo" was done with the largest size Pilot Parallel Pen. It has a really wide nib and puts down a LOT of ink, so the sheen really comes through. The picture that says "New for 2016!" is also Emerald of Chivor, in a fountain pen with a small italic nib (a TWSBI Eco). It should look neat in any pen you put it in (or you can use a brush and paint with ink washes), but you get more variation with broader, and particularly italic, nibs.

I have a tiny bit of concern about how the gold settles in the ink feed on my pens. It has never caused problems, but you can see the gold accumulating there. You can clean it out later, but just to be on the safe side, I don't use these inks in my nicer pens. Here are a few good choices if you want to give the ink a try and see what it can do:

Links to Goulet Pens, but you can check Amazon, Jetpens, or whatever other site you like

TWSBI Eco with 1.1 stub nib
$30 I love TWSBI pens. The Eco is their new entry level model. The nib and feed are the same as on their $50-75 pens, but this pen has more plastic bits. It still works and feels great, and has a massive ink chamber.
J. Herbin Refillable Rollerball Pen $12 (I keep meaning to try this pen. It's a rollerball that takes fountain pen inks, if you like the inks but don't like fountain pens. Seems cool.)
Pilot Metropolitan $15 The king of entry level fountain pens (the rollerball kind takes G2 refills, in 05, 07, and 1.0, if you are a G2 person. I gave my wife a blue Retro Pop Metropolitan rollerball and she gets tons of comments on it! I have one in orange that I always have in my pocket). A brass body pen with a basically flawless nib and mechanism for 15 bucks. Get a medium nib for the 1670 Anniversary inks. Or, buy a cheap Pilot Plumix and stick the nib on a Metropolitan for a cheap italic nib pen.

6wf7cNY.png

Excellent. One big reason I want to do a new fountain pen thread is because I know a lot more about inks now!

The blue/red/gold/galaxy ink is...

My god. This is amazing. I might have to take it for a spin.

In other news, I can't decide whether to start using my 2016 today or not. I think I'll wait until New Year's.

That Earthbound cover is like, $40 everywhere I look. :\

I used to have a "what's the big deal" attitude about these things, but as a chef these could be very useful. Is Etsy the consensus best site to shop around at?

I used to have a "what's the big deal" attitude about these things, but as a chef these could be very useful. Is Etsy the consensus best site to shop around at?
Considering the price for the cover is something like ¥2.500 and the set with the planner is around ¥4.800 that's a pretty hefty asking price.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I like spencerian but... yeah, what you said. Any script you recommend to ease myself into while still feeling a bit fancy? Honestly I can't even write cursive anymore- at least not legible cursive.

I used to write a lot of stuff back in college to organize my ideas and while doing one-man brainstorming. Lots of doodling too. But even then my chicken scrawl was disheartening, so despite the fact that I actually like pens and notebooks and usually carry some with me, I get discouraged every time I use them. I'm determined to change this.

I don't have a lot of pens. A Fisher bullet pen I carry in my wallet, a Cross pen I carry in an ARC notebook, some Pilot fountain pens of differing nib sizes that I embarrass myself with in my office. I also have a Moleskine (I'm sorry). So yeah, it's when I decided to get more serious about this interest of mine that I found things like the Midori and now the Hobonichi. They actually kinda make me want to be even more serious about it. So yeah, I'd happily eat up anything you have to post about pens.

I guess a system is something that will surface on its own as I develop the habit. Speaking of surface, I got a Surface Pro explicitly because of the pen feature and have made it into my daily driver, if only so I have fewer excuses to not practice some form of handwriting/sketching no matter the situation.

I haven't really looked at Hobonichi blogs or even journaling blogs in general, I'm only just now peeling the layers of this hobby. It stands to reason the photo printer would be popular, it seemed like such a good fit.

I'll order a Hobonichi from the official store. I'll be traveling for a while so the extra shipping time isn't an issue. As for what I'll use it for and how, I'm not sure. But I guess I will write about it.

I have not written in cursive in at least 10 years. Cursive forms are great for writers and terrible for readers. Speed trumps legibility. I can print quickly enough to keep up with my thoughts, it's legible, and I get compliments on my handwriting pretty often. If you want elegant cursive handwriting, by all means study and practice Spencerian (I prefer Copperplate forms. Copperplate styles have more thick-to-thin; Spencerian is uniformly wispy). If, on the other hand, you think print forms may better suit your needs, there are several ways to get better. The main thing is, it forces you to go a little more slowly. That helps more than anything.

I can't really say how practicing calligraphy has changed my handwriting. There are a few little things I have picked up, but the blackletter forms I practice are pretty different from my everyday handwriting. The two general things you pick up are the need to go more slowly and an appreciation for geometry. Simple calligraphic forms are all about proportions, angles, and curves. That stuff can influence your writing.

In terms of tools and guides, I'd recommend an italic nib pen, like I recommended above. That gives you thicks and thins, which make your writing visually interesting. For books, I like Dan X. Solo's collections of different scripts and fonts. Script and Cursive Alphabets is a handy reference. I use some of the scripts for calligraphy, but it may also inspire you to change up your letterforms. Swash Letter Alphabets will give you ideas for little flourishes on your letters. Swash letters have exaggerated serifs and decorative elements.

tiijj

Great thread! I read the 2015 and this one (2016) a few times but I haven't ordered mine since I can't decide which size to get lol.

Silvard

I have not written in cursive in at least 10 years. Cursive forms are great for writers and terrible for readers. Speed trumps legibility. I can print quickly enough to keep up with my thoughts, it's legible, and I get compliments on my handwriting pretty often. If you want elegant cursive handwriting, by all means study and practice Spencerian (I prefer Copperplate forms. Copperplate styles have more thick-to-thin; Spencerian is uniformly wispy). If, on the other hand, you think print forms may better suit your needs, there are several ways to get better. The main thing is, it forces you to go a little more slowly. That helps more than anything.

I can't really say how practicing calligraphy has changed my handwriting. There are a few little things I have picked up, but the blackletter forms I practice are pretty different from my everyday handwriting. The two general things you pick up are the need to go more slowly and an appreciation for geometry. Simple calligraphic forms are all about proportions, angles, and curves. That stuff can influence your writing.

In terms of tools and guides, I'd recommend an italic nib pen, like I recommended above. That gives you thicks and thins, which make your writing visually interesting. For books, I like Dan X. Solo's collections of different scripts and fonts. Script and Cursive Alphabets is a handy reference. I use some of the scripts for calligraphy, but it may also inspire you to change up your letterforms. Swash Letter Alphabets will give you ideas for little flourishes on your letters. Swash letters have exaggerated serifs and decorative elements.

I like the idea of elegant cursive for handwritten personal letter or a journal entry rather than for any practical reason. In reality when I do write with a pen or pencil it's in print form, only it looks stupid because the letters aren't even consistent. For actual day to day purpose print form is something I'd really love to reinforce.

I've always been interested in calligraphy but much like sketching and painting I always thought it beyond me. I'll take a more measured look at it now. Thanks a lot for the tips, any more that you want to share are more then welcome!

Ps. What are good scripts for print form?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I like the idea of elegant cursive for handwritten personal letter or a journal entry rather than for any practical reason. In reality when I do write with a pen or pencil it's in print form, only it looks stupid because the letters aren't even consistent. For actual day to day purpose print form is something I'd really love to reinforce.

I've always been interested in calligraphy but much like sketching and painting I always thought it beyond me. I'll take a more measured look at it now. Thanks a lot for the tips, any more that you want to share are more then welcome!

Ps. What are good scripts for print form?

I picked up calligraphy at 32. I've never really had any particular talent in the visual arts, so I am shocked and pleased that I am not terrible at it. The more I work at it, the better I get, too, so if you want to pick up drawing, painting, sketching, calligraphy, whatever, go for it!

I don't write a particular formal script - my handwriting is just my handwriting. But here are a few forms I use for calligraphy or that I just like. They can be written in cursive or adapted slightly for un-joined print. You can try to copy them, or just use them as inspiration. I picked more curvy forms, but I can find some that are more angular if you like that look. These are all from Dan X. Solo books.

Considering the price for the cover is something like ¥2.500 and the set with the planner is around ¥4.800 that's a pretty hefty asking price.
So a cheaper vendor is....? :D Srsly folks, throw me a bone here.

Definitely no argument that cursive tends to emphasize speed over elegance and legibility.

That said, I am genuinely saddened that cursive has been tossed as an archaism. It's a beautiful script, far more beautiful than current English. The "languages evolve, leave it behind" argument, while containing a nugget of truth, always struck me as laziness and sloppiness by those who like to say "x is hype."

Dennis

Banned
Hobonichi Techo's are a perfect Christmas present but I guess now is too late to order in time.

Oh well, I got mine.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
So a cheaper vendor is....? :D Srsly folks, throw me a bone here.

Definitely no argument that cursive tends to emphasize speed over elegance and legibility.

That said, I am genuinely saddened that cursive has been tossed as an archaism. It's a beautiful script, far more beautiful than current English. The "languages evolve, leave it behind" argument, while containing a nugget of truth, always struck me as laziness and sloppiness by those who like to say "x is hype."

There is no other vendor. It all comes from the same company. The main guy was also the creator of the Mother series, so that's why they have official Mother cases.

You can get UNOFFICIAL cases on ebay or etsy or similar places. The Cousin size is A5; the Techo is A6. You can search for A5 or A6 cases and see what you can find.

I agree that cursive can be very beautiful, but the fact that no one can even print legibly is more alarming to me.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

The cost of entry is an issue. $50 is not an outrageous sum, especially if you use it every day - I feel like I really got my money's worth out of my Hobonichi - but it is a lot to spend that first time when you are not sure you'll use it much. Some people can't bring themselves to write random things in a pricey notebook, while other people find that the investment pushes them to use it more.

The biggest savings comes from getting the basic covers, instead of the Earthbound, leather, or designer cases. Or, you can buy the Earthbound case with the intention of reusing it each year. I'm super happy with the cheapest, $13, cases. You could always get the "case on case" (I got one for free) and print out your own Earthbound or whatever designs to stick in there.

I've become a big fan of the Midori Traveler's notebook, too, as an alternative. It's a very flexible system, with a leather cover that you can slot different notebooks into. You can get the basic cover and a blank notebook for less than 30 bucks on Amazon. The inserts (lined, graph, drawing paper, etc.) are 10-15 bucks. This is all in the OP, if you want the links. Midori paper is heavenly, and you can get Tomoe River too.

Standard Midori Traveler's notebook insert vs. Hobonichi Techo (A6)

If you use blank inserts, you can make a little guide so you can still write straight. The "lightweight paper" (which is twice as many sheets as a standard insert, and is Tomoe River paper) only comes in blank pages.

Cut a piece of paper to size and draw dark lines or a grid.

Slip behind the page you are using.

Ta-da!

I'll write letters on super nice blank Rhodia R using this little cheat and people are always blown away that I can write straight across the page without lines. I absolutely cannot. I cheat it.

Great thread! I read the 2015 and this one (2016) a few times but I haven't ordered mine since I can't decide which size to get lol.

Finishing out my Hobonichi Cousin (A5) and starting up my Hobonichi Techo (A6), I'm the slightest bit nervous about the reduced size. I love the portability, but I've been using full pages in the Cousin. I want to force myself to write shorter, more off the cuff, entries like Lhadatt discussed, but it's still weird. This is why I have a memo pad tucked into my case - I have extra space there for calligraphy practice or additional notes.

If you really want to see what will work best for you, Jetpens sells an A5 Tomoe River notepad for $6.75. So that is the exact size of the pages in the Hobonichi Cousin, and you can see how your pens work with the paper (it even comes with a a piece of cardstock with lines printed on it, to use like I showed above). Fold the top of the sheet down to the bottom and then rotate the little booklet you made 90 degrees. That is the size of a page in the Hobonichi Techo. It's exactly half the size.

Hobonichi Techo's are a perfect Christmas present but I guess now is too late to order in time.

Oh well, I got mine.

I have a friend who I got into Hobonichis last year. This year, she wanted something more like a traditional planner. The one she settled on - the Passion Planner - which I'll post about, seems really neat. You can get an undated one or one with the 2016 dates printed in it. The website says that, because of the volume of orders, the 2016 models will ship in January. The obvious joke is that they didn't plan ahead very well. For my friend, who is an obsessive planner user, I cannot imagine entering the new year and just waiting a week or two to plan stuff. There are people who would go insane from that.

I regret not getting the thread up earlier, because I know people would like to start on January 1st. I try to put a bunch of work into these OPs and I just had trouble finding a big block of time to sit down and futz around with it. Sorry!

But if you are using your Hobonichi more as a visual diary, or you are going to be using the Hobonichi in addition to Outlook or whatever, I think missing even an entire month is no big deal. Go back and fill it with artwork! Or start up with the academic year version in the Spring.

Or I could just get my threads up earlier. :/

Mine will be here Saturday!!

Yay! They ship so fast! It's super impressive. Their customer service is really excellent, too, if you have any issues. I really like buying from them because they make ordering from Japan about as quick and easy as it can possibly be, and they treat their customers really well.

As stationery, pens, pencils, and all this stuff I love have gotten more popular, a lot more shopping choices have appeared, and it has become easier to get products from other countries. I bought a bottle of Sailor Jentle Yama-dori last year from a Japanese guy who a bunch of fountain pen fans recommended. You just could not get the ink anywhere but Japan. A few months later, you could get it right from Jetpens. It's now $5 cheaper, which is nice, but I'm also kind of amazed I could get it right from a Japanese dude, shipped to the US, for that extra 5 bucks.

Anyway, this stuff has become more popular, but the stores - Jetpens, Goulet pens, Journal Store, Pocket Notebooks, Hobonichi, etc - are all super friendly and their customer service has always been great. I've had really nice interactions with all sorts of people from these places, and it is so easy to get questions answered and get advice on purchases. You can get samples of Rhodia or Clairefontaine from Exaclair, the US distributor for a bunch of European brands, and they do lot of giveaways, fan profiles, social media stuff. There is a really nice community out there and the people who own the stores are very much a part of that.

I'll ramble on about this junk forever, but I like being part of our little GAF community and interacting with other people who are into this stuff all over the world. It adds to the fun!

warthog

It's really tempting. The OP makes it tempting anyway.

Too bad the pretty covers are so expensive, but I wouldn't mind a generic 1 all that much. What bothers me more is that while using a fountain pen on this paper doesn't seem like a big problem, it doesn't seem like the number 1 choice of writing gear for it either. And I happen to like writing with my fountain pen the best. I'll probably still get it.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
It's really tempting. The OP makes it tempting anyway.

Too bad the pretty covers are so expensive, but I wouldn't mind a generic 1 all that much. What bothers me more is that while using a fountain pen on this paper doesn't seem like a big problem, it doesn't seem like the number 1 choice of writing gear for it either. And I happen to like writing with my fountain pen the best. I'll probably still get it.

I write almost exclusively in fountain pen in mine. It feels amazing to write on Tomoe River paper and inks look fantastic. The only issue is slightly longer drying times. If you can wait a few extra seconds for inks to dry, using a fountain pen on Tomoe River is about as good as it gets.

warthog

Ok Mr.Bagels, I don't know if you have any shares in the company, but they should hire you for their advertising. I'm sold on the Hobonichi Techo. Looking forward to getting it and I'm kind of expecting it to make my year more meaningful. Won't be disappointed if it doesn't, looks like a fun project.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread also.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'll write letters on super nice blank Rhodia R using this little cheat and people are always blown away that I can write straight across the page without lines. I absolutely cannot. I cheat it.
I feel like I don't even know you anymore! Was it all a lie?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welp, just ordered one.

Adorable pink cover pushed me over the edge.

Or4QfLd.png

Is the paper ok for really heavy graphite like blackwings? Though I'll mostly be using mechanical pencils.

Sold! I've been meaning to write more as a daily exercise (rather than only when I've got an idea brewing) and this looks well suited to writing a couple of hundred words a day.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Ok Mr.Bagels, I don't know if you have any shares in the company, but they should hire you for their advertising. I'm sold on the Hobonichi Techo. Looking forward to getting it and I'm kind of expecting it to make my year more meaningful. Won't be disappointed if it doesn't, looks like a fun project.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread also.

Hahaha! I really need to find a way to monetize my pen and paper evangelism. I could sink that money into even more pens and paper...

I like keeping a journal in general, and I actually do find that using my Hobonichi for a quick note about the events of each day adds to my life. If I have a big talk with someone, I'll often pass on talking about it in my actual journal because there can be so much to go over and I just can't bring myself to walk through the whole thing again. The Hobonichi encourages shorter entries that touch on the major stuff I am up to. I take that little time each day to lead a more examined, deliberate life, and I really get a lot out of that. I hope you find it adds something to your life, too!

This would be amazing if I was more of a writer\artist. I really enjoy paper products and this seems right up my alley. The price is right too.

I like that extra encouragement to write a little more and practice a little more calligraphy. I don't think you need to be a great writer or artist from the get-go. You can use a planner/visual diary like this as a way to develop those skills.

Sold! I've been meaning to write more as a daily exercise (rather than only when I've got an idea brewing) and this looks well suited to writing a couple of hundred words a day.

Yup! There is something nice about filling a page in a journal, so it's kind of nice to restrict yourself to the one page a day. It's more generous than the usual day planner with a week per page or whatever, but you don't have a huge stack of pages that you feel like you need to fill. You can make an entry almost every day (which is what the company says "hobonichi" means) and get a nice sense of accomplishment.

Well...just bought the navy planner w/ cover :)

I can always buy the red cover separately...right?

Right on. The covers come back into stock every few weeks. Some people use the book in its SINFUL NAKED form while they wait for the case they want to come back in stock. My wife does not use a Hobonichi, but she loves the cases, so she got one to use with a more traditional day planner. If you buy the red cover in the future, you can use the navy one on another notebook. They're just so darn nice.

Antiwhippy said:
Is the paper ok for really heavy graphite like blackwings? Though I'll mostly be using mechanical pencils.

You can see I posed my Hobonichis with a Blackwing for one of the photos in the OP. I'm a heavy-handed writer and I love my pencils almost as much as my fountain pens. Tomoe River paper does great with wooden or mechanical pencils.

I give these - the world's greatest mechanical pencils, made from 80 year-old ash trees reserved for the production of baseball bats - to all of my friends and they all swear by them:

EOMfWie.jpg

Tomoe River paper has a slick coating, so harder grades of lead don't feel very good. Then again, I don't like harder grades of lead anyway. A #2/HB like a Blackwing, or anything softer, feels really great and will leave a nice dark mark.

I will say this is the one area where I think Moleskine paper shines. It's very fibrous, so it does great with pencils. Smoother paper tends to do a little less well (I love Rhodia R, but it is really not the best for pencils), but Tomoe River works great. I'd recommend a pencil board (they sell them under "accessories" on the Hobonichi site) to place under the page you are writing on if you use pencil or a ballpoint pen. The paper is thin so you'll see indentations on the back off the page and even on the next page if don't use a pencil board.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait really? I found that moleskine paper usually can't hold the graphite of blackwings well, creating a smudge mess.

I've got a rotring 600 coming myself. Decided to up my game for the new year.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Wait really? I found that moleskine paper usually can't hold the graphite of blackwings well, creating a smudge mess.

I've got a rotring 600 coming myself. Decided to up my game for the new year.

It can get smudgey. That's true. I think it's a consequence of the rougher paper. I just like the feel between pencil and moleskine paper.

norm9

My 2016 techo came in so it's time to retire the 2015. I used my 2015 less than my 2014 because I decided to pick up a Midori passport this year for personal notes; But I might retire the passport because I don't want to spend money on refills so maybe the 2016 Techo will be more filled up.

I did turn my friend onto the techo and I'll give him the box it came in since opening it makes it seem like such an event.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sold out of everything but pink. Weak.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Sold out of everything but pink. Weak.

I know that the sites that started selling them this year have been blown away by the demand. They are really struggling to keep up. Pocket Notebooks (UK) also has some and they were tweeting at least once a week about how crazy the sales have been.

You best bet is still to order from the official store. They have the best selection of everything, along with all of the accessories. Shipping from Japan is way more reasonable than you'd think!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know that the sites that started selling them this year have been blown away by the demand. They are really struggling to keep up. Pocket Notebooks (UK) also has some and they were tweeting at least once a week about how crazy the sales have been.

You best bet is still to order from the official store. They have the best selection of everything, along with all of the accessories. Shipping from Japan is way more reasonable than you'd think!
Out of stock, too :/

Welp, just ordered one.

Adorable pink cover pushed me over the edge.

Or4QfLd.png
I went with the black one in that set, partly for the price of the set, partly for it not using leather and partly for it being hard to go wrong with black.

The pink one is all orange on the inside. Interesting design choice.

Bboy AJ

Nope! Look at the cases under the Hobonichi Techo Original. Those are the same cases as the English planner takes.

No, red ships mid-January. Still screwed. I might just buy the pink one idgaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom