• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Anyone know how the paper of hobonichi (tomoe river paper) compares to the midori traveler's notebook light weight paper notebook (which is made by MD/midori/designphil) and I guess is the same as the Midori MD Notebook.

The Midori light weight paper refill is, in fact, Tomoe River! Midori MD is wonderful and I love it, too, but this feels quite different. I have a light weight refill and you get twice the pages in about the same total thickness.

http://www.jetpens.com/Midori-Traveler-s-Notebook-Refill-Regular-Size-Lightweight-Paper/pd/13649

Midori has that slight cottony feel. It really feels wonderfully premium. Tomoe River is super smooth and feels like a premium version of the onion paper you find in bibles. It is a joy to write on, but if you sent a letter on a piece of Tomoe River, the recipient would probably not get that same immediate sense of luxury you get with Midori MD or Rhodia R. If you are a pen person, you can immediately tell how premium and nice it is, but not everyone would say that right away without using it.

Did that help?

it's here. i need to find my good (although not good compared to what's been posted in here lol) pen to start writing in it. this thing is very well put together.

idlewild_

Sigh. Ordered a couple of the these back in November, they took about a week to get it to me last year so I figured that would be around what it took this year too. Took 3-4 days just to process the order and so the shipment took 2 weeks and came in the day before Thanksgiving; was out of town and the post office shipped it back by the time I got home. No biggie I guessed, emailed the store asking them to reship it when they get it which they agreed to. Still has not been reshipped even though it's been almost 3 weeks since it was sent back.

Little annoyed given this was supposed to be a Christmas present for my mom, though I guess it's mostly my fault for not telling the post office to hold my packages. Hopefully it comes in by New Years.

tiijj

The Midori light weight paper refill is, in fact, Tomoe River! Midori MD is wonderful and I love it, too, but this feels quite different. I have a light weight refill and you get twice the pages in about the same total thickness.

http://www.jetpens.com/Midori-Traveler-s-Notebook-Refill-Regular-Size-Lightweight-Paper/pd/13649

Midori has that slight cottony feel. It really feels wonderfully premium. Tomoe River is super smooth and feels like a premium version of the onion paper you find in bibles. It is a joy to write on, but if you sent a letter on a piece of Tomoe River, the recipient would probably not get that same immediate sense of luxury you get with Midori MD or Rhodia R. If you are a pen person, you can immediately tell how premium and nice it is, but not everyone would say that right away without using it.

Did that help?

Yeah, I guess, thanks. I was trying to get information on that one and I get mixed information. I saw that it was MD paper and it's a tomoe river one. Midori site is no help, there's no info LOL.

Thanks

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yeah, I guess, thanks. I was trying to get information on that one and I get mixed information. I saw that it was MD paper and it's a tomoe river one. Midori site is no help, there's no info LOL.

Thanks

The jetpens site says it is. I have it here with me right now and it is definitely Tomoe River.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
it's here. i need to find my good (although not good compared to what's been posted in here lol) pen to start writing in it. this thing is very well put together.

Care to post a pic???

What kinds of pens do you like? Ballpoint? Rollerball? Needle point or a more broad tip? Any color(s) you want?

Sigh. Ordered a couple of the these back in November, they took about a week to get it to me last year so I figured that would be around what it took this year too. Took 3-4 days just to process the order and so the shipment took 2 weeks and came in the day before Thanksgiving; was out of town and the post office shipped it back by the time I got home. No biggie I guessed, emailed the store asking them to reship it when they get it which they agreed to. Still has not been reshipped even though it's been almost 3 weeks since it was sent back.

Little annoyed given this was supposed to be a Christmas present for my mom, though I guess it's mostly my fault for not telling the post office to hold my packages. Hopefully it comes in by New Years.

Have you tried emailing them again? They are usually so responsive.

I ordered a Kakuno fountain pen from the hobonichi store. I haven't used a fountain pen before. All I knew before was they were probably ones where you buy ink for them. I looked a bit into them and decided to buy one to see what it's like.

Now I checked and it will be too thick to fit into the pen holder on my (Black, Colours) case. The holder can fit pens up to 13.5mm (0.53") in diameter. The pen is 15.2mm (0.6"). Is the holder limit a hard limit?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's the best pen to use with this thing? Best meaning good on the paper and fits well with the case. I understand there are preferences. Give me the general pleb one :p

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I ordered a Kakuno fountain pen from the hobonichi store. I haven't used a fountain pen before. All I knew before was they were probably ones where you buy ink for them. I looked a bit into them and decided to buy one to see what it's like.

I LOVE the Kakuno! It has a smiley face on the nib! It will take a Pilot CON-50 converter, or Pilot ink cartridges. You can rinse out the ink cartridges and refill them using a small syringe. It's a cheap way to use different inks in your pen!

Goulet Pens sells ink samples (each one should fill the Kakuno at least twice). If you have any favorite colors, I can recommend an ink I like, or I can tell you some general stuff about brands. I've been writing stuff up for a new fountain pen thread.

What's the best pen to use with this thing? Best meaning good on the paper and fits well with the case. I understand there are preferences. Give me the general pleb one :p

Do you like a finer pen or a broader one? Any color ink you like?

Cindro

Neither of my cards were accepted when trying to order from the official store :( No idea what the deal is, as they were both Visa cards and both have plenty of money to cover the charges.

Maybe 2017 will be my year instead!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
No preference, but if I had to choose, finer. Purple ink.

Click the pics for links!

Ballpoint:

Rollerball:

+

(0.4mm tip. I like this size)

(0.3mm tip. I found these too scratchy)

(needle tip)

(rollerball tip. Recommended)

Fountain Pen Inks:

(Purple with gold particles)

I love the idea if this, but Evernote is just too productive

I guess my Hobonichi is less about productivity than about living a more deliberate, thoughtful life. I use it less to plan what to do next than to reflect on what I have just done. Some people do one or the other, or do both, which is why I really love Hobonichis. They offer just the right amount of structure - the pages are set up to facilitate certain kinds of record-keeping, but are largely kept open for whatever you want to use them for. A completely blank page does not give me that little incentive to write every day, but a page with too many elements (broken up by time of day, or with set spaces to record your meals or whatever) would feel too rigid.

Care to post a pic???

What kinds of pens do you like? Ballpoint? Rollerball? Needle point or a more broad tip? Any color(s) you want?

I will post some tomorrow.

as for pens, ive lived and died by these all though college:

uniball-signo-207-micro-61255.jpg

something like this should be fine i think? the only issue i have is im left handed so sometimes it doesn't write properly. there aren't like left handed pens are there lol

I guess my Hobonichi is less about productivity than about living a more deliberate, thoughtful life. I use it less to plan what to do next than to reflect on what I have just done. Some people do one or the other, or do both, which is why I really love Hobonichis. They offer just the right amount of structure - the pages are set up to facilitate certain kinds of record-keeping, but are largely kept open for whatever you want to use them for. A completely blank page does not give me that little incentive to write every day, but a page with too many elements (broken up by time of day, or with set spaces to record your meals or whatever) would feel too rigid.

Yeah, I spread myself too thin with my organisation attempts, but that said, I just ordered a Techo for my girlfriend and I. I think for overarching planning of my year, and to do lists, I just adhere better to hand written journalling. Also, being able to stick concert tickets & the like in there will be cool. Got some memo books and a sticky tape sheet too.

I'll report how I go with it, but I do love tangible things, and love having something well crafted as part of my daily ritual. I kept up to date with last years thread, and this one pushed me over the line. I doubt it'll replace evernote & my reminders app for my rigid work needs, but hopefully keeps me on target with my more day to day and long term goals. Plus, it'll keep my drawing hand in practice.

Ordered my Hobonichi Friday morning, got a USPS notification on Saturday estimating a Monday delivery. Holy balls thats fast!

Props to Jetpens for getting this to me so quick!

SigSig

Just saw this thread, read up on the planner, then ordered mine. It will probably arrive somewhere in mid January, though. So many empty pages.

Ludovico

Wrote a bit of a year in review for my 2015 last night, was going to transfer over to the 2016 this week, but it looks like mine doesn't have the half pages for December this time around.

Welp.
Excited to start a new year, going to try to be a bit more consistent with my entries this time!!

Raxious

Oooh, these look real fancy. Is a case recommended? Just noticed that although the Planner is sold here, the cases aren't :(

hitsugi

Has anyone used one of these as a Bullet Journal? I've got one ready to go, then I saw the Bullet Journal video and it looked neat, so I'm wondering if it's easy to incorporate.

Raxious

Welp, completely forgot that 30,000 yen would equal 200+ euros xD Just ordered myself the Hobonichi without a case to put it in. No way I'm willing to spend that much.

isitstill

I've got a question:

I bought my 2016 Techo, and ordered the Mother 2 cover (the one with all of the in-game sprites all over it). It came with a packet of four plastic bookmark things. I don't want to use them, because there's only four.

So, two questions, I guess

1) How do people use these? Like why would you bookmark one specific day?

2)Is there a link to where I can buy more? I couldn't find any on 1101.com

Aerocrane

Welp, completely forgot that 30,000 yen would equal 200+ euros xD Just ordered myself the Hobonichi without a case to put it in. No way I'm willing to spend that much.

There are cheaper covers listed in the section for the Hobonichi Techo ‘Original’. The Hobonichi Techo ‘Original’ is the same as the Planner, expect it's in Japanese. The covers are interchangeable.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Just saw this thread, read up on the planner, then ordered mine. It will probably arrive somewhere in mid January, though. So many empty pages.

Yay! I've used empty pages to collect ticket stubs from shows I saw this year, or for calligraphy practice. I just pencil in the date I used the page next to whatever I put there.

Has anyone used one of these as a Bullet Journal? I've got one ready to go, then I saw the Bullet Journal video and it looked neat, so I'm wondering if it's easy to incorporate.

I have not done that, but I have a friend who used the Techo as a bullet journal. I see examples of that on the HobonichiLove tumblr, so you would not be the only one doing it!

wait so this one would fit?!
http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2016/planner/detail_cover/c_c_black.html

Should have known that before ordering from a different website ^^'

Yup. Like Aerocrane said. This was the big issue people ran into last year - they only list pricey cases under the English Hobonichi Planner and people got scared off by the cost. There's a part in the OP that points out the the Original and Planner are both A6 and can take the same cases. The cheapest ones are all listed under the Hobonichi Techo Original.

If you look at most cases, it tells you in large type which Hobonichis it fits on. I still wish they'd do a better job listing the standard covers under the Enlgish language edition.

I12A4XX.png

wait so this one would fit?!
http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2016/planner/detail_cover/c_c_black.html

Should have known that before ordering from a different website ^^'
Yeah, any that say "A6 Size (fits Hobonichi Planner and Hobonichi Techo Original)" would fit the original Hobonichi Techo (English or Japanese) if that's the one you bought. The only difference between the English and Japanese variants is the language (and some of the format changes they made as part of the "localization"). Which planner did you buy?

EDIT: Beaten twice. I blame my phone.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yeah, any that say "A6 Size (fits Hobonichi Planner and Hobonichi Techo Original)" would fit the original Hobonichi Techo (English or Japanese) if that's the one you bought. The only difference between the English and Japanese variants is the language (and some of the format changes they made as part of the "localization"). Which planner did you buy?

Hey, it's good to see it repeated. I don't know if they know how many potential customers they scare off by putting only leather cases under the English language edition.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

Now I checked and it will be too thick to fit into the pen holder on my (Black, Colours) case. The holder can fit pens up to 13.5mm (0.53") in diameter. The pen is 15.2mm (0.6"). Is the holder limit a hard limit?

Fits just fine.

Maybe I'll pick one up. Or two? Or Three?

I've been trying hard to take daily notes, plan, etc, but I just can't find my stride. I have a Surface thinking I would enjoy using that, but nope. I try using OneNote or Evernote on my phone, nope. I guess I just can't go digital with some things.

I'm thinking I should pick up two at the very least, one solely for work and one for everything else. I think I'll stop by my local Mitsuwa and take a look at them.

Raxious

Yup, the description says that it's A6 Size (fits Hobonichi Planner and Hobonichi Techo Original)

Yup. Like Aerocrane said. This was the big issue people ran into last year - they only list pricey cases under the English Hobonichi Planner and people got scared off by the cost. There's a part in the OP that points out the the Original and Planner are both A6 and can take the same cases. The cheapest ones are all listed under the Hobonichi Techo Original.

If you look at most cases, it tells you in large type which Hobonichis it fits on. I still wish they'd do a better job listing the standard covers under the Enlgish language edition.

I12A4XX.png

Thank you all.

There's 1 store in the Netherlands that sells it, so I bought the Hobonichi Planner there. Now I'm trying to order the cover from official Hobonichi store. But yea, I fully agree that it's ridiculous for them to only show the 200 + euro cases. Apparently they're also refusing to release the covers for the European market. Atleast that's what this retailer told me.

Aerocrane

I've been considering buying a Techo for a while, still haven't bought one since I really dislike my handwriting. I already keep a journal on my computer (it's just a folder of word documents), so it's not like I wouldn't have anything to write about.

I have a couple questions about accessories for the Techo.

Has anyone here used the pencil board when writing on their Techo? Does it feel sturdy to write on? I tend to push my pencil on the paper pretty heavily when writing, so I'd definitely need to get one if I got a Techo.

What are the dimensions of the "Colors" cover for the Techo Original? Is it significantly larger than the journal itself?

I write using HB leads in my pencil. Since the paper used in the Techo is very thin, should I be looking into using a different grade of lead?

I've been experimenting with different pens, and honestly the best one I've found is a good old clear bic. Nice flow and looks good. Didn't bleed on the tomoe paper. And cheap. The grip is nice too

tiijj

Thank you all.

There's 1 store in the Netherlands that sells it, so I bought the Hobonichi Planner there. Now I'm trying to order the cover from official Hobonichi store. But yea, I fully agree that it's ridiculous for them to only show the 200 + euro cases. Apparently they're also refusing to release the covers for the European market. Atleast that's what this retailer told me.

Yeah it is confusing, it's probably an agreement that hobonichi (the co.) have with arts & science (which is a high/higher end design studio in japan). I believe that the one who released (translated, re-designed, etc..) the english techo is arts & science. Pretty much all the $200-300+ leather that's showing under the a6 techo is desgined by arts & science. The japanese techo is cheaper and it includes the bonus pen and tissue holder.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
You decide hipsters in every one of your threads about hipstery stuff. Is that the joke?

I do? I deride Moleskine notebooks because they are marketed based on a mystique rather than on their actual quality. I'm not sure I have crusaded much against hipsters prior to a few jokes in this thread. I'd rather crusade against people who leave inane comments on threads they aren't interested in.

Using a Japanese notebook because you think quirky things boost your social status, or because there is something ironic about using paper, is one thing. But why are people so upset if you just like a thing? People get really offended by genuine enthusiasm. It's really weird.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I do? I deride Moleskine notebooks because they are marketed based on a mystique rather than on their actual quality. I'm not sure I have crusaded much against hipsters prior to a few jokes in this thread. I'd rather crusade against people who leave inane comments on threads they aren't interested in.

Using a Japanese notebook because you think quirky things boost your social status, or because there is something ironic about using paper, is one thing. But why are people so upset if you just like a thing? People get really offended by genuine enthusiasm. It's really weird.
I don't get it, either.

I bought a Techo notebook now. And the case separately. If I bought them both at the same time, it would ship later. I don't want to wait.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I got a moleskine. Techo are cool, just too rich for my blood.

A regular Moleskine, or their planner? I'd be interested to hear what the planner is like!

The Techo is pricier (and can get VERY pricey if you go for certain cases) than some other planners, but my big problem with Moleskine is that you pay too much for what you get - they are cheaper, but they feel overpriced. The Techo is pricier but I feel like you get something really nice for your money. Mokeskine paper is no good (I have an A3 Moleskine that is supposed to have nicer paper but even that feathers and bleeds like crazy with fountain pens) and the binding feels cheap. I try to stock up on Rhodia Webnotebooks when I find them on sale (massdrop does bundles of 3 pretty regularly) because I think they are actually worth the price.

If you love 'em, more power to you. I do like the way pencil leads feel on moleskine paper. Overall, though, I think they charge too much for what you get.

But maybe I am just a huge hipster. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I was going to ask - why are these better than moleskin notebooks?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I was going to ask - why are these better than moleskin notebooks?

I touched on it in the post above. The large (almost A5 - Mokeskines are based on US paper sizes for some reason) Mokeskine has a list price of $20 (I see them as low as $12 on Amazon, though), which is admittedly a lot to pay for a notebook. The larger Hobonichi is around $10 more. A5 Rhodia, Quo Vadis, Leuchtturm 1917, or Franklin-Christoph (all super nice notebooks) are between $20-30. At that price, you should expect something really damn nice. With each of those, you are getting extremely high quality paper that does not feather or bleed. The big failing with Mokeskine is that the paper is really awful, and it's awful in an inconsistent way. It's very fibrous, so inks feather and bleed like crazy. Fountain pens look and feel like crap and darker markers or even rollerblading (this autocorrect is too good to change! Should be ROLLERBALL) pens bleed and ghost on the back of each sheet. As was noted by another poster, the rough paper means that pencils throw off a lot of tiny lead bits, so things tend to smear on the pages (I still like how pencils feel on the paper). Beyond that, they are cheaply made for something at that price - the elastic goes limp, the binding is cheap. It's not like it's a disaster and they fall apart in your hands, but they are sold as a premium item at a premium price and I think they bank more on the phony "THE LEGENDARY NOTEBOOK OF PICASSO AND BRUCE CHATWIN" tagline than on actual quality.

The Hobonichi uses Tomoe River paper which feels great to write on, is very thin, yet handles even the wettest inks with no problems. There is minimal ghosting for paper that thin. The bindings are sewn so the book lays flat...the whole thing is just wonderfully designed and put together and hat immediately comes through.

As to using any other notebook instead of this one, it comes down to a huge degree of personal preference in a planner/diary/sketchbook. The Hobonichi notebooks have some structure - pages are dated, there is a quote on each page, there are a few markings for the time of day, most of the space is grid ruled. You could obviously buy a nice notebook with grid ruling and put the elements you want on each page. Or you can find more structured planners, with each day more explicitly broken into hours. I guess I like the page-a-day setup, with just a few elements already in place. It encourages a certain style of use that a lot of people find pleasing. I keep a blank notebook as a journal too, generally for longer entries about bigger stuff in my life. The Hobonichi encourages a bit more economy in what you record and a slightly less SUPER SERIOUS TONE (that may only apply to me). I also find myself adding drawings, calligraphy, ticket stubs, etc. way more often in the hobonichi. They just sort of inspire a mixed media approach in me.

I always write way too much, huh?

So basically it is quality of materials (particularly paper, but the cases are super great too), format, and whatever intangible element that makes me use the Hobonichi differently than I do any of the other zillion notebooks I own (maybe it's partly the community - both here on GAF and across the internet. It's fun to see how other people use their Hobonichis).

I hope someone else will take a swing at answering your question! People who pick up a Hobonichi seem to kind of get hooked on them and it's hard to say what exactly it is that makes them so damn pleasing!

Went in on a fountain pen too. This bloody thread... 😅

Which one?? Pilot Kakuno?

A fountain pen on Tomoe River just feels super good! And inks look fantastic on the paper - sheen is really maximized. The drying time does increase so watch out!

I hope to have a new fountain pen thread ready by the end of the year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom