• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

1upsuper

Just ordered a Techo Original and the Mother 2 Cast case. I'm really excited for it to arrive -- I just wish I would have found this thread a bit sooner. My hope with it is to get a little bit of writing done every day and chronicle what's shaping up to be a pretty interesting year. I actually saw these a few years ago because of Itoi and Mother, but never really looked into them very much until now. Thanks for the thread!

kagete

My order from the JP store last week shipped on Friday but it looks like it won't make it in time for Christmas as my wife's present. :(

Last update yesterday was "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" at TOKYO INT. I hope this flies in on an airplane soon because I am sweating with my backup gift not yet guaranteed as well.

A regular Moleskine, or their planner? I'd be interested to hear what the planner is like!

The Techo is pricier (and can get VERY pricey if you go for certain cases) than some other planners, but my big problem with Moleskine is that you pay too much for what you get - they are cheaper, but they feel overpriced. The Techo is pricier but I feel like you get something really nice for your money. Mokeskine paper is no good (I have an A3 Moleskine that is supposed to have nicer paper but even that feathers and bleeds like crazy with fountain pens) and the binding feels cheap. I try to stock up on Rhodia Webnotebooks when I find them on sale (massdrop does bundles of 3 pretty regularly) because I think they are actually worth the price.

If you love 'em, more power to you. I do like the way pencil leads feel on moleskine paper. Overall, though, I think they charge too much for what you get.

But maybe I am just a huge hipster. :)

I got the weekly planner. Cost: 12.53. I don't use fountain pens yet, (maybe later), just gel pens so I think their substandard paper, (don't have a better reference), won't affect me too much.

I don't think you're a hipster, I just feel you are passionate about it and I appreciate and benefit from your enthusiasm as it enables me to learn a lot about them.

I'll give a brief review of the Moleskine once I have received and used it for a while. I do think you're right about them, but I feel that the one I got its good enough for my uses.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I got the weekly planner. Cost: 12.53. I don't use fountain pens yet, (maybe later), just gel pens so I think their substandard,(don't have a better reference), won't aaffect me too much.

I don't think you're a hipster, I just feel you are passionate about it and I appreciate and benefit from your enthusiasm as it enables me to learn a lot about them.

I'll give a brief review of the Moleskine once I have received and use it for a while. I do think you're right about them but I feel that the one I got its good enough for my uses.

Awesome! I really would love to hear your thoughts! I realize the Hobonichi is not for everyone (or necessarily worth the higher price), and I realize that things that don't really work ideally for me may work wonderfully for other people. Does that make them bad people?

Of course it does. But I can look the other way a little bit. :D

Awesome! I really would love to hear your thoughts! I realize the Hobonichi is not for everyone (or necessarily worth the higher price), and I realize that things that don't really work ideally for me may work wonderfully for other people. Does that make them bad people?

Of course it does. But I can look the other way a little bit. :D

Lol. You are cool in my notebook Bagels. Keep your infectious enthusiasm and passion for the things you like!!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Moleskine is fine for like 98% of uses, don't worry about it. Fine stationery is really more of a luxury than a necessity, but I love design and I love well designed stationery.

Wait I'm confused :(

So I'm looking to buy the English Planner book(the one with the Jan start) from the Hobonichi store.

But the English cases I'm interested in are sold out. Can I use the Japanese case? Whats the difference? Also, what is "TS" in the case name?

Wait I'm confused :(

So I'm looking to buy the English Planner book(the one with the Jan start) from the Hobonichi store.

But the English cases I'm interested in are sold out. Can I use the Japanese case? Whats the difference? Also, what is "TS" in the case name?

You can use any a6 cover

tiijj

yep both english and A6 japanese fits either one. It's confirmed in the description of the english planner "Covers listed under the Japanese A6 Original book will also fit the English book."

The difference is that the english one is a collab with arts&science (a design studio in japan). They are the studio that helped/collaborated in making the english version.

As for TS, TS means Taku Satoh. According to the description of the cover > "TS stands for the initials of the Hobonichi Techo's designer Taku Satoh, who selected this cover's leather."

kiri

Bit late buuuuuut;
8JdV58y.png

**Dis_Gon_B_Gud.gif**

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Lol. You are cool in my notebook Bagels. Keep your infectious enthusiasm and passion for the things you like!!

Well ok. I will try!

It looks super awesome, but I'm afraid that I'm to untalented for that..

Too untalented to write in a notebook??? The stuff I do is not the worst in the world, but I have a long way to go as a calligrapher. One thing I really love is having that little extra practice every day, and having one year's worth of progress to look back on.

Bit late buuuuuut;
8JdV58y.png

**Dis_Gon_B_Gud.gif**

Dang. That is quite the haul!

kiri

Dang. That is quite the haul!

Daamn, that's a lot of stuff you bought ^^

I did indeed! To break it down, I bought for myself and one other person;

EarthBound cover with JPN HBN and pencil board/clear cover/bookmarks/stickers

Light blue cover with ENG HBN and pencil board/clear cover/bookmarks/stickers

Both of us have had a hell of a year and so we're going to use these to record the more positive aspects of our lives going forward into 2016 - really looking forward to using them!

Raxious

I did indeed! To break it down, I bought for myself and one other person;

EarthBound cover with JPN HBN and pencil board/clear cover/bookmarks/stickers

Light blue cover with ENG HBN and pencil board/clear cover/bookmarks/stickers

Both of us have had a hell of a year and so we're going to use these to record the more positive aspects of our lives going forward into 2016 - really looking forward to using them!

I hear ya, past 5 years were pretty tough for me so I'm hopefully gonna be writing a ton of stuff in here. Just noticed it now says 'Shipping Soon' on the 1101 site.

edit; Just got an email that they're shipping the cover tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it either next week or the week after that.

kiri

I hear ya, past 5 years were pretty tough for me so I'm hopefully gonna be writing a ton of stuff in here. Just noticed it now says 'Shipping Soon' on the 1101 site.

edit; Just got an email that they're shipping the cover tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it either next week or the week after that.

Cool - hope you'll be enjoying it soon!
Sadly, it seems I got my order in a couple of hours too late so they won't be shipping it until early January, so I'll have to miss out a few pages!

I
Which one?? Pilot Kakuno?

A fountain pen on Tomoe River just feels super good! And inks look fantastic on the paper - sheen is really maximized. The drying time does increase so watch out!

I hope to have a new fountain pen thread ready by the end of the year!

Yep, the Pilot with the smiley face. Figured it was a good starting point, seems easy to use and will increase the novelty of writing so i'm amped!

Just got my sent email! I have a red cover coming in January, and the fountain pen comes with that, but till then I should be ready to go from Jan 1.

Got my Hobonichi last night. A bit smaller than I had imagined and the stock cover feels really...cheap. It feels like the material an umbrella or a raincoat is made from. The pockets inside is what i'm looking for though. I'll be looking for a cover that combines the storage of this cover with a nicer quality material.

My Hobonichi turned up today, still need a case for it though!

I figured out a potentially cool use for it - I've got a fantasy world I've been building for a few years now that's my go-to setting for a lot of the short stories I write, so I'm planning to use my Hobonichi like a guide book mainly concentrating on the world's central city. I'm not much of an artist, but sketching buildings, landscapes and street scenes isn't beyond me, plus I love drawing maps, so at the end of it I'm hoping to have something that reads like a tourist guide and that I can use as a world-building codex for future stories in that setting.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My Hobonichi finally shipped. The cover comes in January.

I'm a totally digital guy but I'm giving this product a shot. Let's see how it goes. There's something about the instantaneous ability of paper. Even if digital is truly faster, it doesn't feel like it.

Raxious

Got my hobonichi about 30 minutes ago. Definitely smaller then I had anticipated. Though it does mean that it'll be easier to carry around in my bag. Now all I need is that damn cover :p

Already told myself I won't be drawing in it though. My drawing skills are below zero.

Just got mine this morning. Smaller than i thought but thats not a bad thing. Perfect travel companion. Got decent pens for this but i want something better for sure.
Boy i can tell buying stuff for this will be addicting but im already a fan.
Now to figure out what else i can do with this! :)

Erheller

I'll be sticking to a regular pen for the time being. Got no more money for fancy pens :p

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052KLTM6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not the best fountain pen around by any means, but the construction is very sturdy (all-metal barrel!) and the nib is decent enough (I have some issues with slightly uneven ink flow, but nothing substantial). It's a slightly heavy pen, which can be a plus or minus depending on your tastes. I've had mine for about a year (and just ordered another one because why not) and I honestly love writing with it.

Besides, you really can't go wrong with a pen that costs $3.21 with free shippping. (Actually, you probably can but this pen is actually surprisingly good for its rock-bottom price).

I knew what size A6 was beforehand, being familiar with common A-series sizes and folding an A4 piece of paper into quarters (each A-number higher is half the size of the previous). It still seemed small at first but not anymore. It seems like the perfect size for me.

A6 is 105 × 148 millimeters or 4.13 × 5.83 inches, for people where A4 paper isn't the standard to easily try out.

Probably a good thread to ask this question. I hate my handwriting, and it seems to have gotten worse over the years. I'm currently in school and my notes look just awful. Does anyone have tips on how to improve handwriting? What practices can I do? General tips? I can write ok if i really concentrate and write slowly, but that's not really practical for note-taking. I'd like to have beautiful handwriting. I'm a lefty too which causes some other problems.

Probably a good thread to ask this question. I hate my handwriting, and it seems to have gotten worse over the years. I'm currently in school and my notes look just awful. Does anyone have tips on how to improve handwriting? What practices can I do? General tips? I can write ok if i really concentrate and write slowly, but that's not really practical for note-taking. I'd like to have beautiful handwriting. I'm a lefty too which causes some other problems.

Slow down, take a breath and practice.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

Like POWERSPHERE said, slowing down is the big key. Use pencil or a fountain pen - ballpoint pens are very slippery on paper, which makes them harder to write with. Rollerball is okay, but for me, fountain pen/pencil>>rollerball>>>>>ballpoint. An italic or stub nib fountain pen gives your lines some thick-to-thin, which makes your writing look better. You can also see how to make different strokes or hold the pen differently to change your letterforms. Look at some writing you like and focus on a letter or two you want to emulate. Letters with ascenders (t, f, h, etc - look at the line that makes an h different from an n) or descenders (j, y, g - look at the line that makes a j different from an i) are good places to experiment. You can see how you can make those lines longer or shorter, more angular or more loopy, to make your writing distinct.

Practice, practice, practice. Keep a pad of paper nearby and jot down quotes, song lyrics, interesting words, names, etc. throughout the day.

Raxious

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052KLTM6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not the best fountain pen around by any means, but the construction is very sturdy (all-metal barrel!) and the nib is decent enough (I have some issues with slightly uneven ink flow, but nothing substantial). It's a slightly heavy pen, which can be a plus or minus depending on your tastes. I've had mine for about a year (and just ordered another one because why not) and I honestly love writing with it.

Besides, you really can't go wrong with a pen that costs $3.21 with free shippping. (Actually, you probably can but this pen is actually surprisingly good for its rock-bottom price).

Unfortunately I live in the Netherlands, so I can't use Amazon for 99% of the items. :(

@Bagels
what fountain pen would you recommend? Reading that old topic of yours it seems as though you recommend something with an Italic nib. The Pilot Plumix seems to have one, would that be a nice model to get started?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I also bought a Plumix. Reddit recommends a Lamy Safari.

Porcile

I mean, any fountain pen from any reputable maker is a fountain pen. Even the super cheap disposable ones are perfectly fine. If I were to buy a new one right now, I'd probably just buy LAMY Safari fine, but I could just as easily go to my local Rymans, buy the cheapest Parker and it'd work great. Which is exactly what I've been using the last six months for more than two hours a day.

Gloam

Opted for the Cousin this year. Had the English Planner for 2015, found the pages to be a little too small. Enjoyed filling it up with clippings and notes, hopefully 2016 will bring more fun.

I was hoping to get a leather cover this year but it wasn't viable. I opted for the British green cover, I'll post a picture when it arrives, hopefully sometime this week.

Raxious

I actually just find out that there's a shop near me that specializes in fountain pens, so I'm probably gonna pay them a visit on Tuesday when they're open.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Unfortunately I live in the Netherlands, so I can't use Amazon for 99% of the items. :(

@Bagels
what fountain pen would you recommend? Reading that old topic of yours it seems as though you recommend something with an Italic nib. The Pilot Plumix seems to have one, would that be a nice model to get started?

Have fun at the store!

The Plumix is the cheapest way I know of to get a decent italic nib. You can pop it out and put it into a Pilot Metropolitan if you want something that looks nicer.

I own 2 Lamy Safaris and they never work perfectly for me. I like them, but they are not my favorites. For the same price, you can get a TWSBI Eco, which I like way more. The 1.1 stub nib is fantastic. A TWSBI 580 or diamond mini looks nicer but will cost more.

I need to get that thread finished.

Nopren

Bagel, you are going to make me a very poor man.

So far, I'm in:
Rotring 600
Pilot Plumix
Lamy Safari
Hobonichi Techo

, because of you.

And I have a bottle of Emerald of Chivor, TWSBI Eco White 1.1 and Pilot Parallel 6.0 mm on the way.

But it has really reignited my passion for writing and drawing, so thank you for your threads, and I'm very much looking forward to your next one.

@Raxious
I'm also from Europe and I've found that Ebay.co.uk is a pretty good place for finding fountain pens and calligraphy items.

kagete

In the US, Amazon has the best prices and fastest delivery for almost all the popular options. Even cheap items like 4$ converters. I ordered initially from gouletpens.com because I like his youtube videos but I think I will have to get future orders from Amazon just because the price is so much better while most popular items are shipped via Prime.

warthog

It took 2 days for my package to get to Belgium from Japan. Now it has been with customs since the 23rd, still waiting. It's only the journal, nothing extra. I hope they haven't ripped it apart looking for drugs.

Raxious

It took 2 days for my package to get to Belgium from Japan. Now it has been with customs since the 23rd, still waiting. It's only the journal, nothing extra. I hope they haven't ripped it apart looking for drugs.

Don't forget you had both Christmas and a Sunday inbetween the 23rd and today ;)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Bagel, you are going to make me a very poor man.

So far, I'm in:
Rotring 600
Pilot Plumix
Lamy Safari
Hobonichi Techo

, because of you.

And I have a bottle of Emerald of Chivor, TWSBI Eco White 1.1 and Pilot Parallel 6.0 mm on the way.

But it has really reignited my passion for writing and drawing, so thank you for your threads, and I'm very much looking forward to your next one.

@Raxious
I'm also from Europe and I've found that Ebay.co.uk is a pretty good place for finding fountain pens and calligraphy items.

Hahahaha! Sorry! My GAF buddy, Cheesecakerecipe, made this for me:

aK7Yiu8.png

In the US, Amazon has the best prices and fastest delivery for almost all the popular options. Even cheap items like 4$ converters. I ordered initially from gouletpens.com because I like his youtube videos but I think I will have to get future orders from Amazon just because the price is so much better while most popular items are shipped via Prime.

It's hard to resist Amazon prices. I like Goulet for their ink samples and JetPens often has stuff other people don't carry in the US. I like supporting Goulet and Jetpens just because they are such lovely people and Amazon gets plenty of my money anyway. I end up shopping around quite a bit to find specific things - the Amazon shops that sell Rhodia have a fickle relationship with free shipping, for example, and the prices fluctuate like crazy. Sometimes I get great deals and other times they want more than list price, PLUS shipping.

Massdrop is generally good, too (just got a shipment of Rhodia webnotebooks - one landscape [which are hard to find sometimes] and two of the new silver ones, which are kinda cool!), but you have to be willing to wait for shipping and you have to check back for good deals. Some of their deals are really quite good (Parallel pen four sets, Rhodia paper, Pilot Metropolitans, J. Herbin ink sets - some things come up for sale all the time at good prices), although they are occasionally of the "save one dollar but get it three weeks later" variety. The writing community there is at least super active. Keep checking back until you can snag a Pilot Vanishing Point! They have had some great prices on VPs before.

Some of the absolute best stuff is only available from small sellers. Here's a cool pen and ink year in review, featuring plenty of stuff beyond my meager means. I had never heard of some of these manufacturers.

Hey, I just noticed the serial number added to the second to last page. That wasn't there last year. Cool, I guess.

My Cousin planner from last year has one. The original size did not?

kagete

Yeah i'd really love to support just jetpens and goulet but the price has to right too. I signed up for massdrop hoping for Rhodia like you mentioned. I didn't know my wife was really into this and she's now looking for Rhodia paper.

I might jump in myself with a cheap Nemosine singularity to try things out at first.

Props to you and the best threads on GAF!

Oh god don't do this to me again Bagels. I stumbled across your pen thread two years ago, spent way too much on writing implements, and then had my pencil bag stolen in my calc class last summer. I told myself I wouldn't delve into this a second time.

-_-;

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yeah i'd really love to support just jetpens and goulet but the price has to right too. I signed up for massdrop hoping for Rhodia like you mentioned. I didn't know my wife was really into this and she's now looking for Rhodia paper.

I might jump in myself with a cheap Nemosine singularity to try things out at first.

Props to you and the best threads on GAF!

Hey thanks! I'm always super happy when people like my threads!

What exactly is she looking for? Notebooks? Pads? If she has not tried Rhodia R, she needs to! Even the tiniest size pads. They are so nice!

Oh god don't do this to me again Bagels. I stumbled across your pen thread two years ago, spent way too much on writing implements, and then had my pencil bag stolen in my calc class last summer. I told myself I wouldn't delve into this a second time.

-_-;

Sorry to hear that! Now I feel all bad. I'll happily send you a pen if you miss the fountain pen life...

Bboy AJ

Still waiting on my Hobonichi and Plumix to get here. Bagels is the worst.

It finally arrived! Now I'm ready for 2016!

I really like the packaging. As for the book itself, it's smaller than I imagined it would be. But what the heck! If I manage to keep up with writing, I might get myself the cousin next year.

Also, earlier, I got myself one of them pilot metropolitan fountain pens (no ink yet, sadly). And, will be getting a pad of rhodia paper.

Damn your threads, Bagels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom