• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 is over. Time to rank your favorite shows/seasons from this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My list can be a little surprising. Here goes. Lets keep things spoiler tagged so we dont spoil newcomers. Also mention your dud of the year.

1. Game of Thrones - S6 (HBO)

20160602_ep609_Publicity_still_041.001413461.jpg

In my opinion, this is the best Game of Thrones season. The story picks up an incredible pace. The characters evolve and of course, the turns do come at breakneck speeds. The North storyline is finally the most interesting (at least for me!). The production set pieces are better than some of the best Hollywood films. This show is still the Undefeated Reigning King of TV.

2. MARS (NatGeo).

mars-natgeo-documentary01.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I love this show. It's the first show in God knows how long that made me actually ponder things. It is definitely flawed in some aspects, but it's flaws are not enough to drown it. In fact, it's my favorite show of the year. It has surprisingly good acting, good, well thought out plot and characters who are relatable. One of the flaws is that the show needed more characterization. Having monologues to a video cam didn't work for me. Some Hollywood-ish aspects regarding tension building also were flawed. The juxtaposition of 2016's commentary about Tesla, SpaceX, etc and identifying humanity's quest for finding new worlds works well. By the end of the show you might be asking yourself the craziest question ever:
Is it really worth it?

3. The Night Of (HBO)

the-night-of-riz-ahmed-hbo-review.jpeg

The Night Of is must watch TV. Stellar acting, characters and production values you expect from HBO. Its a slow burner crime drama with a whodunnit theme as its arc. The show imo loses some of its steam by the end. Characters dtart making senseless decisions. But
Naz' transformation is complete.

4. The Walking dead - S7 Part 1(amc)

the-walking-dead-s7-premiere-negan-kills-shots-206931.jpg

Ok, the season premiere is the greatest shit I've watched on cable television. I mean goddamn. It was unrelenting. Exhausting. Soul crushing. It's only natural that the rest of the season doesn't live up to the crazy of the premiere. Negan is a great villain and the other characters introduced are intriguing. But I fear the show is showing some of its weaknesses more and more especially when it comes to people making dumb choices. The Daryl arc was a nice change of pace. I'd like to see more of usual heroes being put in unfamiliar situations. Cant wait for Part 2.

Dud of the year:

Westworld (HBO)

tEbTi5Xh.jpg

This show has all the great HBO stuff: drama, characters, acting and production. But felt like the show was a giant, 10 week blueballs session. All that good stuff didnt move the needle for me. The
maze, Arnold
overarching story did nothing for me. The show is johnny come lately on a lot of questions regarding sentience that have been answered already by a million other shows and movies. There are some serious, crazy leaps of faith you need to take here. Those leaps unfortunately were too wide for me. But there is some seriously good acting here. Unfortunately, it cant save the show from it's plodding, confused mess. By the end I wanted all the hours I spent on this show back. Could have finished my PS4 backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom