• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 5 - Guess Who's Back?

DMczaf

bionic77

He is on a Brady high.
He is getting close to falling off the bandwagon.

I think he stopped drinking and rediscovered his conscience or something.

He was going in hard all night on the president of the Pats fan club, the Don himself.

He liked being part of a winner and was willing to forgive the cheating. But now he is sober and can smell the stench that comes from the basket where Pats fans reside and I think he is having second thoughts.

He is getting close to falling off the bandwagon.

I think he stopped drinking and rediscovered his conscience or something.

He was going in hard all night on the president of the Pats fan club, the Don himself.

He liked being part of a winner and was willing to forgive the cheating. But now he is sober and can smell the stench that comes from the basket where Pats fans reside and I think he is having second thoughts.

1452305389886691731.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Healing > replacing. Probably obvious, I just had been completely ignorant of the way it worked. (am now only mostly ignorant)

This article is a pretty good synopsis:
http://theundefeated.com/features/new-acl-surgery-could-cut-rehab-and-recovery-time-in-half/

Not sure how long that'll take to trickle into professional sports. I'd guess sooner rather than later, athletes will try all sorts of weird shit when they think it helps.

Haven't really heard that, but I do know at least from what I've read that patella tendons are often not used anymore, instead they use the Hamstring tendon to build the grafts. The article's method however suggests you just use the hamstring graft essentially to plug the gap between the torn ACL ends. Interesting, it has James Andrews himself commenting on it, but I'm sure one reason athletes don't use it is because how new the surgery is, no way to know just how strong it will be.

Besides from using your hamstring tendon, your new ACL is actually stronger than before, and the increased risk of arthritis that used to arise from essentially removing a portion of the patella is no longer an issue. The problem then becomes about age and recovery. Older players can still come back great- look at the bounce back reggie wayne had, or even ADP with the significant amount of miles. It obviously depends on your style of play. Some players actually come back stronger, but in Nelsons case, the timing may have cooincided where he naturally would've lost a step or 2 anyways, compounding the issue. Welker took a little bit to get his full explosiveness back, but again he was 3 or 4 years younger, and he also tore it at the end of the season vs. the beginning. Regardless, it's still very much a toss up how it will affect your career.

Bitanator

Dallas fans, how many of you think that Romo would not have as much success as Dak as the QB, as long as he stays healthy. For all the things I love about Dak such as his ability to absorb a hit and still stand in the pocket, he is like a mini version of Big Ben, or McNabb. His confidence is extremely high, and his natural leadership skills and ability to understand each individual is one of the best aspects of his game, he still has shown problem seeing the full field, or an inability to take that shot and get a big pay off.

I know what Romo can do, he showed it against the Dolphins last year when he was for sure getting sacked in the endzone, I know he can still put the moves on a defender and find the correct play. For everyone chirping that Dak opens up the run game more, I'd argue Romo can as well, his ability and knowledge of reading the Defense puts us in the correct play nearly each time. I know Romo will seek that big play as well, this offense could be as scary as the Falcons with him under center with Dez.

I am excited for him to come back and show what this O can do with him, but at the same time, if he is injured again, I am very content with Dak, he has proving to me that he will not falter under pressure, and will continue to get better.

The future is bright with this team either way

Haven't really heard that, but I do know at least from what I've read that patella tendons are often not used anymore, instead they use the Hamstring tendon to build the grafts. The article's method however suggests you just use the hamstring graft essentially to plug the gap between the torn ACL ends. Interesting, it has James Andrews himself commenting on it, but I'm sure one reason athletes don't use it is because how new the surgery is, no way to know just how strong it will be.

Besides from using your hamstring tendon, your new ACL is actually stronger than before, and the increased risk of arthritis that used to arise from essentially removing a portion of the patella is no longer an issue. The problem then becomes about age and recovery. Older players can still come back great- look at the bounce back reggie wayne had, or even ADP with the significant amount of miles. It obviously depends on your style of play. Some players actually come back stronger, but in Nelsons case, the timing may have cooincided where he naturally would've lost a step or 2 anyways, compounding the issue. Welker took a little bit to get his full explosiveness back, but again he was 3 or 4 years younger, and he also tore it at the end of the season vs. the beginning. Regardless, it's still very much a toss up how it will affect your career.
Yeah, my takeaway is that the killer isn't the quality of reconstruction itself, but the (necessary) long recovery time.

In Jordy's case, he had a setback with his other knee sometime during(?) training camp that shut him down for the whole preseason. So some of it might just be him playing himself back into shape.

squicken

What would it take to trade for Joe Thomas?

idk but this Viking teams seems pretty special. Do they go all in and give up a 1st in 2018? They have to do something. I mean they are talking about Jake Long and he was broken down and getting Bradford hurt 2 years ago

e: wrong year

TheFatOne

Man pats struck gold with Bennett. He's such a beast in blocking and in the passing game. Can't wait to see more of him and gronk. Overall another good win today for the pats especially with Denver losing. Speaking of Denver is kubiak OK? Last I read he was taking to the hospital after the game.

squicken

Anthony Barr said in the postgame that Oswillier had his head down looking at the rush from the very start of the game. In pretty much every QB metric he is bottom 5 right now

Bitanator

Man pats struck gold with Bennett. He's such a beast in blocking and in the passing game. Can't wait to see more of him and gronk. Overall another good win today for the pats especially with Denver losing. Speaking of Denver is kubiak OK? Last I read he was taking to the hospital after the game.

Bennett may have struck gold with the Patriots honestly, perfect system for him. I'd temper my excitement for him, dude is a known underachiever and complainer.

Anthony Barr said in the postgame that Oswillier had his head down looking at the rush from the very start of the game. In pretty much every QB metric he is bottom 5 right now
I really can't believe that there is a worse qb starting. Maybe the Texans coaches should have meet with him before giving him that contract.

neoemonk

I don't know what to think about the Lions any more. Their defense has been bad all season but they weren't totally awful. This Eagles team was coming off a crushing of the Steelers. The NFL is so weird sometimes.

Tom Penny

It's will be nice having two enormous targets in the redzone instead of trying to throw fade routes to midgets.

KaYotiX

Banned
Packers winning while offense playing like crap,just wait till they actually get rolling!!

Right guys?? Right?

Cowboys next week is gonna be a good game. House divided, wife is cowboys fan......

Also hope Cobb is OK, that was a nasty hit.

The Titans had runs of -- ready for this? -- 22 yards, 27 yards, 11 yards, 19 yards, 14 yards, 13 yards, and 12 yards. That's not a ground game, that's a paper shredder with the Miami defense playing the role of the paper.

Cannot win like that in the NFL. Impossible.
One final thing: The Dolphins announced 90 minutes prior to kickoff Sunday that starting left guard/tackle Laremy Tunsil injured himself while preparing for the game.

That was a lie.

WINZ's Andy Slater first reported Tunsil injured his ankle in the shower of the team hotel before he ever got to Hard Rock Stadium Sunday afternoon.

He wasn't preparing for the game. He was showering. And apparently he fell.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Packers winning while offense playing like crap,just wait till they actually get rolling!!

Right guys?? Right?

Cowboys next week is gonna be a good game. House divided, wife is cowboys fan......

Also hope Cobb is OK, that was a nasty hit.

I think we can beat the Cowboys but I'd like to see our run defense continue against that line and Ezekiel Elliot.

Hopefully we can iron out those gaps in zone coverage also.

Obviously the offense needs to start playing in all 4 quarters. I don't know what the fuck is happening after the first quarter or even first half. I wish someone like LJ11 could break it down for me to determine whether or not it's the playcalling or just dumb mistakes and poor judgments settling in.

jmdajr

I didn't think Texans would win, but we made Sam Bradford look like, super awesome. I'm sure our garbage tier QB helped with building that sentiment.

shit.

Dallas fans, how many of you think that Romo would not have as much success as Dak as the QB, as long as he stays healthy. For all the things I love about Dak such as his ability to absorb a hit and still stand in the pocket, he is like a mini version of Big Ben, or McNabb. His confidence is extremely high, and his natural leadership skills and ability to understand each individual is one of the best aspects of his game, he still has shown problem seeing the full field, or an inability to take that shot and get a big pay off.

I know what Romo can do, he showed it against the Dolphins last year when he was for sure getting sacked in the endzone, I know he can still put the moves on a defender and find the correct play. For everyone chirping that Dak opens up the run game more, I'd argue Romo can as well, his ability and knowledge of reading the Defense puts us in the correct play nearly each time. I know Romo will seek that big play as well, this offense could be as scary as the Falcons with him under center with Dez.

I am excited for him to come back and show what this O can do with him, but at the same time, if he is injured again, I am very content with Dak, he has proving to me that he will not falter under pressure, and will continue to get better.

The future is bright with this team either way

I think Romo wins that first game against the Giants and we're 5-0. Dak has done a great job but he hasn't been asked to put the team on his back. Our defense has been playing a lot better than last year, helped greatly by our running and short passing game sustaining long drives.

I agree that it's nice to have a young body that can scramble and take a hit. Romo is deadly down the field and can spread a defense out more.

Either way we're good, it's a great problem to have.

gutshot

Disappointing loss yesterday. I don't know what the hell was up with the defense in the first half. The Lions were doing whatever they wanted on offense. Then all of a sudden they hold the Lions to 3 points in the second half with that FG only coming on a very short field. Strange.

Offensively, they settled for too many FGs. If they score a TD on just one of those last two scoring drives, the game is over. Despite that, they still should have won if Mathews had just held onto the ball. The Lions D really was not stopping the Eagles from driving all game. They didn't even need to score there, a time-killing drive and putting the Lions deep in their own territory could have been enough to win it. Ugh.

Also, the refs were absolute garbage. 14-2 penalty disparity? That is bullshit. Plus just some horrendous calls like the phantom hold on Brooks that likely changed the game or the horrible spot on a Riddick reception (that ended up getting overturned). I don't like to complain about the refs, but c'mon.

Wentz's play was a positive. The final INT was just a case of him trying to do too much. It wasn't a terrible read or throw, but game situation says you don't need to take a shot there. Go to your underneath guy and get to the next play. He'll learn from that. Overall his play was still very impressive and should have been enough to win the game. Our receivers are total asscheeks and did nothing to help him all day. Once he gets a true no. 1, watch out.

In the end, it's a disappointing loss but one that I can live with. They showed fight getting back in the game, on the road, despite some horribly lopsided officiating. They weren't going to win every game. And if you would have said before the season they would be 3-1 at the quarter-mark of the season, every Eagles fan would have taken it in a heartbeat. They should stomp Washington next week, setting up a big home matchup against Minnesota. Should be fun.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hopefully Kubiak isn't in the Hospital!

I guess it's just precautionary. I still remember being at the game when he collapsed.

Fuck, that slipped my mind. Yeah, if he's not out of the hospital by then, I would guess Wade takes over until he's well.

I remember watching the game and they said that he collapsed on the sideline with a min-stoke. Scary stuff.

Speaking of...

@AdamSchefter
Broncos' HC Gary Kubiak feeling better this am, still resting at local hosptial. Remains uncertain whether he will coach Thursday vs SD.

Top Bottom