• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 5 - Guess Who's Back?

gutshot

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Big change in Baltimore: Ravens firing OC Marc Trestman, replacing him with Marty Mornhinweg, per league sources.

WedgeX

Banned
I don't know what to think about the Lions any more. Their defense has been bad all season but they weren't totally awful. This Eagles team was coming off a crushing of the Steelers. The NFL is so weird sometimes.

Drew Sharp of the Free Press has your back on these feelings.

Detroit Free Press said:
The Lions took the shovel everybody used to throw that last scoop of dirt over their grave and hit their skeptics over the head with it.

And you know what?

And that’s the classic definition of Same Old Lions.

S.O.L. isn’t the emotional abandonment after another bad start to a season or another inexplicable loss. Beating an unexpectedly hot team like the Eagles is S.O.L. Looking at a now 2-3 record as salvaging respectability is S.O.L. Once again taking that leap of faith with the understanding that you’re still likely to crash land upon the jagged rocks below because this remains a mediocre team is S.O.L. Lapping up the nectar that the Lions proved something at a moment when practically everybody doubted them is S.O.L.

The Lions jumped out to a 21-7 second quarter lead. Part of their difficulties during the three-game skid was a lack of first half offense. Their executions was much crisper than last week in Chicago. Fewer penalties. Fewer drops. More pressure on the quarterback. The Eagles were the biggest surprise at this juncture of the NFL season, playing well with a rookie quarterback. And former Lions head coach Jim Schwartz returned to Ford Field with a better-than-expected defense likely salivating at the prospect of further frustrating a Lions’ offense riddled with self-inflicted wounds.

This was the trick. This was the tease. The Lions usually play better when the expectations are lowest. And they were so low coming into this game that they required a lift simply to see above the curb.

I was thinking a defensive matchup was in play, but again.. Vikes surprise me.

5-0... replacement QB
Child Abuser out.
Lineman out.
Starting WR out for game.

Godford throwing sexy pass after sexy pass.

Now I have been around for the Super Bowl losses, the Pearson Push Off, The Kramer Years, Darrin Nelson dropping the ball at the 1, The Denny Years, 98', 41-Donut, The Cheating Saints and all disappointment along the way.

Oh and Les Steckel. Yeah.. Les.

We need a Uncle Coach Burnsie Bedtime Story.

This train stops for no one.

gutshot

ANY/A chart for post Week 5 (sans MNF obvs)

CuaIN53WgAMbpvA.jpg:large

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I didn't end up getting that one. Went with GoW3.

There just aren't too many racing games I get absorbed in, but it looks great.

Did you mean 4?

I wanted to grab that as well, but I think I'll hold off for a little, I've already spent enough on games that I don't have enough time to play. ;p

Sanjuro

Did you mean 4?

I wanted to grab that as well, but I think I'll hold off for a little, I've already spent enough on games that I don't have enough time to play. ;p

Yeah that's what I meant. Been playing it a couple days and getting my ass handed to me online. Never been great at Gears online.

Hindl

Disappointing loss yesterday. I don't know what the hell was up with the defense in the first half. The Lions were doing whatever they wanted on offense. Then all of a sudden they hold the Lions to 3 points in the second half with that FG only coming on a very short field. Strange.

Offensively, they settled for too many FGs. If they score a TD on just one of those last two scoring drives, the game is over. Despite that, they still should have won if Mathews had just held onto the ball. The Lions D really was not stopping the Eagles from driving all game. They didn't even need to score there, a time-killing drive and putting the Lions deep in their own territory could have been enough to win it. Ugh.

Also, the refs were absolute garbage. 14-2 penalty disparity? That is bullshit. Plus just some horrendous calls like the phantom hold on Brooks that likely changed the game or the horrible spot on a Riddick reception (that ended up getting overturned). I don't like to complain about the refs, but c'mon.

Wentz's play was a positive. The final INT was just a case of him trying to do too much. It wasn't a terrible read or throw, but game situation says you don't need to take a shot there. Go to your underneath guy and get to the next play. He'll learn from that. Overall his play was still very impressive and should have been enough to win the game. Our receivers are total asscheeks and did nothing to help him all day. Once he gets a true no. 1, watch out.

In the end, it's a disappointing loss but one that I can live with. They showed fight getting back in the game, on the road, despite some horribly lopsided officiating. They weren't going to win every game. And if you would have said before the season they would be 3-1 at the quarter-mark of the season, every Eagles fan would have taken it in a heartbeat. They should stomp Washington next week, setting up a big home matchup against Minnesota. Should be fun.

Part of the defensive difference was the baffling LB rotation. I dunno if Schwartz was disciplining Bradham, but he didn't play at all in the 1st half. Him and Hicks were off the field, and instead Tulloch and Kendricks were playing. And this game proved that Kendricks is just bad now. He was responsible for Riddick and just completely wiffed on him the entire first half. Then once Hicks and Bradham got on the field in the second half, the Lions couldn't do shit. This should solidify the decision to bench Kendricks and ship him off next year.

Offensively, there were a lot of headscratchers. DGB had that easy TD that he just dropped, and I think Agholor had one too. And on that last throw, Agholor could've fought for it more. But this is what I expected the Eagles offense to look like before the season started, there's just not enough WR talent. So, we've heard so much about the 3TE set, and how we'd finally be able to do it, especially against a team like the Lions with a weak LB corps. And it barely got used. Additionally, I'm not going to complain too much about Mathews, he should've been carrying the ball in his other hand and done a better job protecting it. But he shouldn't have been on the field as much as he was. Barner and Smallwood proved that they could carry the workload, and they were barely used. Just a lot of weird decisions, although the fact that the team was able to adjust at halftime makes me feel somewhat better.

I only have a few things about the flags, because while there was a lot called on the Eagles, most of it was justified and just sloppy, undisciplined play. The only two flags that were bad were the Sproles chop block and the Brooks holding. And also, the fact that, while the Eagles were on offense, the Refs called illegal man downfield on 98. You know, Defensive End Connor Barwin, being illegally downfield while the team was on offense. The refs picked up the flag so it didn't matter, but it was still crazy.

Wentz didn't need to be a hero at the end of the game, but aside from that he played excellently. Made some beautiful throws, rest of the team just let him down. I'm not too upset about the result, in fact I'm kinda glad. It felt like the Eagles were getting too full of themselves, and surprising game plans were masking a lot of their deficiencies. Getting punched in the mouth like this is good because it reminds people that before Wentz started balling out, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Especially with the tough schedule for the rest of the year. I think the Eagles still can win the NFC East, but overall I just want this year to be about Wentz growing into the position. Bolster up the line and maybe grab a RB in the draft, and hopefully DGB and Matthews continue to develop (I've pretty much given up on Agholor).

I only got the chance to watch half the game this morning but I'll reiterate what I said before - I really think Ben needs to relinquish the play calling duties to Sullivan at this point and focus on the bigger picture which is coaching the overall team, etc. I know he's doing what got him to the dance but this offense is floundering right now and play calling, lack of "flow" and just general conservatism is killing us right now.

It doesn't help that Erek Flowers is playing extraordinarily bad right now. I truly feel that that Reese needs to re-evaluate the notion that he's a franchise left tackle. I don't know where Will Beatty is as a player but its obvious Eli has no trust in his protection. Speaking of which, he's not exactly playing well otherwise either. There's some really really bad throws on display.:/

I'll finish the game later today. I wasn't around last night simply because I was watching the debates and had some company over at the house.

...and then you had this shit:

Here's the entire 10-second exchange, which ended when Flowers gave Raanan a shove with his left hand that sent the reporter back a few steps.

Flowers: "Hey, get out my face man. Don't come over here."

When Raanan didn't move, Flowers moved his face close to the reporter's and asked, "You hear me?"

Raanan: "I'm just trying to do my job."

Flowers: "Go over there."

Flowers: "Get the (expletive) out of my face, bro.

Flowers then said, "Go over there, man," as he shoved Raanan.

Say what you will about Coughlin and the Odell blow-up last season for a man coaching for his job but its obvious this team and discipline are on two different islands.

Zeke

I'm still giddy about last night's win. Just an amazing game on both sides of the ball. I think yesterday was the first time Dallas lost the TOP 27:43 to the Bengals 32:17. I like this teams chance against GB.

bionic77

AFC West is probably sending two teams to the playoffs this year.

I did not see that coming.

I am really happy we came away with that win against the Jets. They honestly had that game for the taking in the first half. Luckily their D-line did not show up and they were not able to finish drives. They also dropped a sure INT (we also had one that went through our CBs hands for a TD). They had us on the ropes until Ben had that late TD to end the half. Then after that we made adjustments and I am not sure what the fuck the Jets were doing, because they were moving the ball easily on our defense before halftime.

We have a fuckton of injuries and it will be hard to win if we don't put up 35 every week, which eventually is going to stop (we could have had 40+ against the Jets if not for Coates drops but such is life). Get well soon everyone.

People were killing the Jets coach for not going for it on 4th and short, but both times he was in our territory and we were putting up TDs on their defense almost everytime we got in the RZ so I understood his decision. Also, his qb is fuckng Fitz. You can only let the dragon eat so much. The way he slangs it eventually something bad will happen.

Mornhinweg replacing Trestman

Last time Ravens fired an OC after a loss to Racists...we won da ring 😳

B.........BG!!!! BALTIMORE RAVENS BROWNS GONNA WIN ANOTHER

WE DID IT
8-8

Syrinx

NHL-GAF is claiming that Tabris is permed.

Can we agree that snitching will be acceptable in the event he comes back as an alt?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
What did he do this time?

Only thing I can see is that he suggested there be a Trump OT. I'm guessing that's a banned sentiment since people say it all the time.

Maybe Xia knows?

If he's permed well...he'll be missed...I guess? We're kinda short on joke character posters.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Top Bottom