• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 World Junior Hockey Championships |OT| Where Future Busts Become National Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

That was a crazy last minute, wow.

Canada with a mediocre team that didn't come together. Unreal stupid penalties. Poor goaltending.

Oh well, cheering for Finland the rest if the way, especially over Sweden.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well if we lost to any team, I'm glad it was Finland. Just glad we didn't get knocked out by the Swedes, Russians or Americans. Always had a soft spot for Finland because of their animosity against the Russians :p

Rixa

Happy to see Patrik Laine playing in my favourite team rest of this season. Which prolly will be his last in Tappara...

KraytarJ

I've been watching this tournament every year for more than a decade now and this team was one of the worst I've seen and it's only fitting they lose in the quarters.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Marner was great.

He pretty much carried the offense on his back in this game.

We should never accept a loaned player from Vancouver ever again.

LevelNth

Banned
Blackwood was very unimpressive in the games he played. It would've taken a miracle for this horribly coached team to make it past the semis anyways but I always want the streak to live. Alas now it is dead.

espher

Copy-pasting my rambly post from Reddit:

I think Finland deserved this game, for sure. Very exciting game, right up to the finish.

My hatred for puck-over-the-glass delay of game and IIHF officiating (edit: especially the way they call scrums, argh) burns as strong as it always has. Lots of Canadian forwards underperformed, but Virtanen was consistently bad when he was expected to be a strong player. Blackwood was pretty awful relatively speaking.

For me, though, Lowry was the biggest weakness in this tournament. His weird decision-making seems to have hurt us quite a bit in the tourney, esp. when it came to in-game decision-making. No effective line juggling, no real line changes, and keeping Blackwood in to watch him keep allowing the same rebounds and goals was killing me inside, esp. after how Blackwood had played in his previous two.

Oh well, now I can watch and not have a heart attack every game.

Also yeah, I have nfi why Strome dumped it in there. You are not going to retrieve, get set up, and get a good scoring chance with that little time left. Go for a good zone entry and try to make it happen - it's worth the risk.

I feel a little bad for Bustanen. He and Bustwood looked shakey in almost every game. This won't help his confidence coming back to the Canucks.

Dermott and Marner looked OK.

Hopefully Nylander's brain unsoups itself.

espher

Come on marner, be smarter than that. That was almost virtanen level stupid

I really don't know if Hockey Canada doesn't educate players on IIHF officiating, but they need to know that you never, EVER engage in a scrum, because IIHF refs never take someone from each side and always take a guy who makes another player's head snap back.

Like, you could go back to every scrum where a penalty was called in the history of IIHF hockey, and see that exact sequence.

zroid

Banned
Guess I'm cheering for Future Leafs Laine and Puljujarvi, and Current Leaf Kapanen the rest of the way. Especially with Snizzbone out of commission.

LevelNth

Banned
I really don't know if Hockey Canada doesn't educate players on IIHF officiating, but they need to know that you never, EVER engage in a scrum, because IIHF refs never take someone from each side and always take a guy who makes another player's head snap back.

Like, you could go back to every scrum where a penalty was called in the history of IIHF hockey, and see that exact sequence.
As you said its all on Lowry to me. These are kids. They need detailed structure to avoid these lapses and Lowry showed he can't cut it. Leaving Blackwood in was criminal too.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Terrible Canadian team. So undisciplined it's embarrassing. 9 fucking penalties...

Goaltending was laughably bad too.

Rad-

Lmao from Jake Virtanen's wiki page:

On December 13, 2015, the Vancouver Canucks announced that they would be loaning Virtanen to Team Canada for the World Junior Championship Tournament U20. Which cost Canada the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom