• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

berzeli

Banned
Starz has cancelled Survivor's Remorse.
I thought it was fairly popular, was it just too expensive or (going by wikipedia) have the ratings cratered this season?
You're not missing much honestly.
I like Gaiman, and I like Fuller, also since ivy has described it as a tone poem which is what the best part of Hannibal basically was (yes my favourite bit of Hannibal is season 3 part 1, come at me).
In this article about Amazon and TWC, two nuggets of info standout:
Holy shit. $160 million for a David O Russel. series is already overkill, but then paying DeNiro 3/4 of a million per episode??? And to top it off, only a few scripts have been turned in? That money would be better spent in an incinerator at this rate.
Weiner da gawd. (but seriously I'm relieved it's apparently going well)

$160 million for two seasons is pricey but not insane, it's not, you know Vinyl, fucking Vinyl, which was $100 million for a single season.
Though I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up going massively over budget like The Get Down did. Film directors who don't take the time/effort to understand how TV works have a tendency to do that (and make mediocre shows).
Except that a David O. Russell series is almost guaranteed to be a niche hit at best. I honestly don't see it exploding into the mainstream, at all. They may get the critical cred, but I feel like they're desperate for a populist hit which tend to not be conventional adult dramas. And indeed they already have that prestige drama in Transparent.That money would be much better off going to a genre show, IMO (which is a direction they already seem to be pivoting towards).
American Hustle and Silver Linings were both fairly decent sized hits.
Also Transparent is ostensibly a comedy.
Non-genre fare can still do well.

Patryn

American Hustle and Silver Linings were both fairly decent sized hits.
Also Transparent is ostensibly a comedy.
Non-genre fare can still do well.

Both made about $250 million worldwide. In similar box office comparison, I think they're looking for the equivalent of a $1 billion+ film, which has a tendency to be genre fare.

Basically, David O. Russell is a double, maybe a triple at best and Amazon is looking for a Grand Slam.

ZeroX03

Banned
Last time I went high, now I'm going low.

Flash - 0.6
Legends - 0.4

Supergirl premiered with Superman last season and then turned to complete crap(even decided to dump on their really well liked Superman in the final)
It doesn't surprise me at all, probably the highest it will be besides the crossover.

Even then it's a big drop from last season's average. Nobody expected it to match the Superman/network shift premiere of last year, but this wasn't hitting the numbers of a random post-break episode.

That said, show it's still in safe range and third season cancellations are rare.

berzeli

Banned
I just read the Deadline take on the TWC/Amazon thing:
David O. Russell's series in a two-season $160 million deal within a span of two weeks last fall, with the close relationship between Amazon Studios head Roy Price and Harvey Weinstein said to have been a factor in the back-to-back big-ticket buys.
Sigh, time to break this evergreen out again (btw, that link is about sexual harassment conducted by Price if you're too lazy to click) :
Both made about $250 million worldwide. In similar box office comparison, I think they're looking for the equivalent of a $1 billion+ film, which has a tendency to be genre fare.

Basically, David O. Russell is a double, maybe a triple at best and Amazon is looking for a Grand Slam.
Sure, but they still don't have a "prestige" drama in the vein of House of Cards or the like which is a niche that this could fill.
Just because Netflix is doing Mindhunter, doesn't mean they won't do season 2 of Iron Fist.

Patryn

Sure, but they still don't have a "prestige" drama in the vein of House of Cards or the like which is a niche that this could fill.
Just because Netflix is doing Mindhunter, doesn't mean they won't do season 2 of Iron Fist.

Yeah, a prestige drama would be nice. I just think spending $160 million is overspending just a tad bit to get one, and the ROI is going to end up being a disaster.

berzeli

Banned
Yeah, a prestige drama would be nice. I just think spending $160 million is overspending just a tad bit to get one, and the ROI is going to end up being a disaster.
$160 million for two seasons. Which again, is pricey but not insane.
I think Mindhunter is about the same budget wise. edit: Damn, I'm good at this
No offices for the production have opened here, but show officials have scouted Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania several times. Shooting is expected to begin this spring with a budget of about $80 million.

Well I say that but it is actually insane because apparently the deal included Weinstein saying that he could control Russel, which is bullshit and also you know he's finally fucking out of the business. It's so going to be The Get Down 2.0.

KonradLaw

Even then it's a big drop from last season's average. Nobody expected it to match the Superman/network shift premiere of last year, but this wasn't hitting the numbers of a random post-break episode.

That said, show it's still in safe range and third season cancellations are rare.

The fact that this year it has to compete against two other comicbook shows instead of one probably isn't helping.

KonradLaw

Except that a David O. Russell series is almost guaranteed to be a niche hit at best. I honestly don't see it exploding into the mainstream, at all. They may get the critical cred, but I feel like they're desperate for a populist hit which tend to not be conventional adult dramas. And indeed they already have that prestige drama in Transparent.That money would be much better off going to a genre show, IMO (which is a direction they already seem to be pivoting towards).
Investing all profits back into new stuff is pretty much Amazon's credo. As you've said they are pivoting towards genre shows, but this was likely started a long time before that pivot. And most of all, it's not like they have limited budget/air space, so it's not like money spent on that is a money that won't go towards something more mainstream.

That said, I'm really surprised Amazon haven't picked up a superhero show yet (real one I mean, I love Tick, but it's comedy). This seems like the easiest way to get big buzz and lots of exposure for a streaming platform.

vypek

So far I've dropped Me, Myself and I, Ghosted and now The Mayor.

It's a terrible year for comedy.

Ghosted is the time during the night where I'll leave the TV on and go do something else. I like the actors but the story isn't funny or interesting so far. I haven't tried The Mayor yet but have two episodes on my DVR for it. Me, Myself and I is something I might keep watching. Its an interesting structure but it definitely doesn't seem very comedic so far.

Penguin

Oh Flash and Legends returned pretty much even

Good news

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-10.TUE_.png

Fox's Tues line-up is all heading in the wrong direction.

So far I've dropped Me, Myself and I, Ghosted and now The Mayor.

It's a terrible year for comedy.

Ghosted is just insane to me. I've watched both episodes of it and there isn't a single joke or even amusing moment in it. Such a creative misfire.

Aiii

So not worth it
Really sad to see Kevin Saves do so badly. That is actually a rather charming show, I enjoy it quite a bit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
RIP B99, you had a good run. No really, 5 seasons is a good run, 110 eps (well assuming they dont cut the season off by its legs) is more than enough for the occasional rewatch down the line.

TripOpt55

Starz has cancelled Survivor's Remorse.

:/

Fuck.

Hopefully the season finale works as a series finale.

EDIT:

iaZFtLm.png

:/

That's a bummer. I'm a bit behind on this season. I really enjoy the show. I could certainly have watched some more, but at least it would have been nice if it had gotten a chance to end properly with the writers being able to craft a proper series finale.

Pachimari

I really hope Riverdale does well. It premieres tonight. Unfortunately I don't think it can get in more than last season's viewers so my prediction is a 0.5 for Riverdale.

ZeroX03

Banned
I want Riverdale to get that streaming obsession bump but I’ll say 0.4. Netflix and international popularity should keep it alive.

Not surprised at Supergirl underperforming. Last season was really rough. They spent way too much time dragging out various romance plots and didnt do a whole lot else.

TDLink

Not surprised at Supergirl underperforming. Last season was really rough. They spent way too much time dragging out various romance plots and didnt do a whole lot else.

I think over-saturation of DC Superhero shows on the network is a real thing. It's a minority who is watching every episode of all of them. Supergirl also stands out as being the only more female-targeting of the 4 shows as well which indicates the demographics watching are mostly men.

It's funny how the CW has transformed from that network that is all for teen girls to this comic book thing. Though Riverdale I know is a huge hit with women still.

They somehow made Supergirl more dour than Arrow and that's not what anyone wanted, so I'm not surprised people are checking out. Maybe it'll be course corrected with the new season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Except that a David O. Russell series is almost guaranteed to be a niche hit at best. I honestly don't see it exploding into the mainstream, at all. They may get the critical cred, but I feel like they're desperate for a populist hit which tend to not be conventional adult dramas.

It's been vaguely described as a 'mafia crime series', so I think it could end up being a success for them. People love mob shit.

I thought it was fairly popular, was it just too expensive or (going by wikipedia) have the ratings cratered this season?

The ratings rose every season, especially in season 3 when it aired behind Power, but then pretty much cratered this year. Not quite sure what happened. One would think that, even if L+SD viewership was down, the difference would be made up with delayed viewing, but apparently that hasn't been the case. Shame.

I like Gaiman, and I like Fuller, also since ivy has described it as a tone poem which is what the best part of Hannibal basically was (yes my favourite bit of Hannibal is season 3 part 1, come at me).

The main story is dull af. The side stories are the only compelling parts of the show. I think it would be better as an episodic anthology about different mythological beings coming to and living in America.

Nah, Legends is the worst of the DC shows by a mile. Only my completionist tendencies keep me watching that truly abysmal show.

Drop all of them like I did. They all suck.

TDLink

The main story is dull af. The side stories are the only compelling parts of the show. I think it would be better as an episodic anthology about different mythological beings coming to and living in America.

Agree with this. The "Coming to America" portions of the show were all pretty great. Could have easily had them each be an episode. I do like Ian McShane as Wednesday though.

Sandfox

I think over-saturation of DC Superhero shows on the network is a real thing. It's a minority who is watching every episode of all of them. Supergirl also stands out as being the only more female-targeting of the 4 shows as well which indicates the demographics watching are mostly men.

It's funny how the CW has transformed from that network that is all for teen girls to this comic book thing. Though Riverdale I know is a huge hit with women still.
There's a reason why all of those shows feature multiple ripped dudes that like to work out and be shirtless, though there's a similar thing with the female characters.

Nah, Legends is the worst of the DC shows by a mile. Only my completionist tendencies keep me watching that truly abysmal show.

Arrow is trash even the much-talked-about season 5 is still shit while legends of tomorrow is good fun.

Losing martin stein is gonna be a huge blow for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ratsky...pssst Ratsky...

Mindhunter?

Top Bottom