• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

WisdomCBS had an interesting first half last night, kind of wish crime shows used the MMORPG phenomenon more, though I wonder if it went over the heads of the CBS crowd, since it was eventually ditched for a generic plot.

G0523

Sunday night's fast national numbers:

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-08.SUN_.png

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The only thing in the Valley are those ratings.

AFV should have came on before the Toy Box, cause those ratings just make it look bad, unless the target demo for Toy Box is not in that graph.

ABC seems to still be unable to perform well on Sundays.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Orville is great if you are a TNG fan. The fact that Frakes directed an episode that basically felt like old Star Trek is pretty much the epitome of fan-service short of having an actual cast member guest star on the show. lol

Oh wow, I must have stopped watching Enterprise by this point:
s7inMkWl.jpg

He actually found a way to put himself into Star Trek back in the day, so it's even more hilarious thinking about the Orville as a fanfilm project.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm behind on Shark Tank myself because Sunday night I have to watch The Deuce, Outlander, Star Trek, and Curb. It's too much. I didn't even bother trying out Ghosted.

FoneBone

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Orville is great if you are a TNG fan. The fact that Frakes directed an episode that basically felt like old Star Trek is pretty much the epitome of fan-service short of having an actual cast member guest star on the show. lol

So far the directors have been:
Jon Favreau
Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris)
Brannon Braga (writer, TNG; showrunner, Voyager; exec producer, Enterprise; writer, Generations and First Contact)
James Conway (longtime Trek director DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and the video game Star Trek Borg)
Jonathan Frakes (Will Riker)

This is very obviously a show that is being made by people who love Star Trek and want to recapture it with a twist -- the twist being MacFarlane's wise-ass humour, which of course people aren't happy about, but whatever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So far the directors have been:
Jon Favreau
Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris)
Brannon Braga (writer, TNG; showrunner, Voyager; exec producer, Enterprise; writer, Generations and First Contact)
James Conway (longtime Trek director DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and the video game Star Trek Borg)
Jonathan Frakes (Will Riker)

This is very obviously a show that is being made by people who love Star Trek and want to recapture it with a twist -- the twist being MacFarlane's wise-ass humour, which of course people aren't happy about, but whatever.

I feel like the MacFarlane stuff has been toned down as each episode progresses. There's other stuff that can be annoying, like the fact that he's the most dreamy guy in the universe despite being considered a failure by Starfleet, but whatever. If Shatner could get away with it, why not him. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'm thinking of Shatner the actor and not Kirk himself. Like the story about how he forced producers to let him kiss Nichols because he didn't want Leonard Nimoy to get the attention. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it sounds like classic Shatner. lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Cinemax revealed their last ever 2018 slate.

STRIKE BACK (debuting February 2)
RELLIK (April 13)
C.B. STRIKE (June) - was slated for HBO
OUTCAST (July) - lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

That might be the first real - show leading into show leading into show - programming slate Cinemax has ever had. So that's good to see. But as Dan said, apart from Strike Back, all of these will have aired elsewhere 6 months to a year before they make their debut on Cinemax - which, in the age of online TV, is far from ideal.

They're reviving Strike Back with an all-new cast? O.... kay?

This is the second time they've done this. The previous version starring Sullivan Stapleton and Philip Winchester was itself a reboot of the original starring Richard Armitage and Andrew Lincoln.

I'm behind on Shark Tank myself because Sunday night I have to watch The Deuce, Outlander, Star Trek, and Curb. It's too much. I didn't even bother trying out Ghosted.

Saturday night! :D

My god I hope if I see another show that films multiple seasons back to back they don't tease the next season as far out as Last Ship did last night.

They basically had a full episode preview after the season final and then "returns next summer"
Jesus what a tease.

chadskin

Kind of fitting The Mist series is just as open-ended now as the novella it's based on.

Anyhow, has anyone watched Mr. Mercedes yet? Seems to be getting surprisingly good reviews.

Grizzlyjin

Valor - 0.9 (All the good numbers are taken, really like a 0.5)
Supergirl return - 0.6

ZeroX03

Banned
Riverdale had a 0.5 premiere and that show actually had hype. It was in the second half of the season though. Valor is fucked.

Supergirl with a 0.7.

Sean

Banned
Valor 0.3

Bonus prediction: It will do worse than their Dynasty reboot.

I'm going with 0.3 as well, Valor doesn't seem to fit with The CW target audience at all. The official Twitter and Facebook pages for Valor have only a combined 11,534 followers.

I think it will be DOA and in the running for first cancellation of the season.

Grizzlyjin

Weird question. Is John Oliver's last week tonight basically just a low-key YouTube show? It popped up on my YouTube feed and the view numbers blew me away. Not only are whole huge 30 minute segments uploaded but they have like 16 million views, 10 million views, etc. What are the actual ratings for it like on HBO? Sure feels like they're just pulling a YouTube hustle with view numbers like that on each video lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Weird question. Is John Oliver's tonight basically just a low-key YouTube show? It popped up on my YouTube feed and the view numbers blew me away. Not only are whole huge 30 minute segments uploaded but they have like 16 million views, 10 million views, etc. What are the actual ratings for it like on HBO? Sure feels like they're just pulling a YouTube hustle with view numbers like that on each video lol
I think they realize the only way to make the show viral is to not hide all the stuff behind HBO Go or whatever. Samantha Bee's show is basically a Youtube show too.

They also give away Bill Maher's show, if you wanted to suffer through it for some reason like I do.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What are the actual ratings for it like on HBO?

Last week's episode got 1.3 million L+SD. I checked a random episode from November 2015 and it got 712K.

EDIT: Last week's Bill Maher got juuust under 2.0 million L+SD. Random episode from November 2015 got 1.2 million.

Grizzlyjin

I think they realize the only way to make the show viral is to not hide all the stuff behind HBO Go or whatever. Samantha Bee's show is basically a Youtube show too.

They also give away Bill Maher's show, if you wanted to suffer through it for some reason like I do.

That's smart. I never really thought about it before but SNL, Conan, Jimmy Kimmel, etc all basically throw their entire show up on YouTube, it's just cut up into chunks.

I'm all good on the Bill Maher haha

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's smart. I never really thought about it before but SNL, Conan, Jimmy Kimmel, etc all basically throw their entire show up on YouTube, it's just cut up into chunks.

I'm all good on the Bill Maher haha
It's also content with very little value after the fact, since it's meant to be timely. Like maybe someone writing a TV comedy news retrospective in 30 years might want to dig up episodes of this stuff, but it's not like HBO is going to sell a box set of John Oliver episodes.

(Although I wonder if anyone bought that million dollar Tactical Wipe thing that John Oliver made them put on their website. :p)

Anyhow, has anyone watched Mr. Mercedes yet? Seems to be getting surprisingly good reviews.

It's a good adaptation and has been steadily improving over the course of the season. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm finishing out the current season and then probably giving up on Maher. I've been watching him since Politically Incorrect was on Comedy Central but it's just painful now. Whatever he once had is long gone.

xrnzaaas

Cinemax revealed their last ever 2018 slate.

STRIKE BACK (debuting February 2)
RELLIK (April 13)
C.B. STRIKE (June) - was slated for HBO
OUTCAST (July) - lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

It's a shame Outcast didn't get a slot on HBO, AMC or FX. The show has good premise, season 1 had an amazing pilot and a couple of good follow up episodes. Season 2 started much worse and I dropped it after four episodes, I refuse to believe they've run out of good material, more likely of money and good writers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm finishing out the current season and then probably giving up on Maher. I've been watching him since Politically Incorrect was on Comedy Central but it's just painful now. Whatever he once had is long gone.
I watch out of habit since it's something I've been doing for I guess over a decade now. But his "college students are stupid muslims are all evil" thing is just getting tired.

Top Bottom