• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Aiii

So not worth it
The cold open of Episode 3 of The Good Doctor starts with a neighbour knocking on the door, claiming she's in the middle of Uncharted and her controller died so she needs to borrow two triple A batteries to continue.

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME? Come on!

Matush

Christ, Wisdom of the Crowd is so abysmal, to go from Entourage to this for Piven... I guess he needs to pay the bills somehow.

The cold open of Episode 3 of The Good Doctor starts with a neighbour knocking on the door, claiming she's in the middle of Uncharted and her controller died so she needs to borrow two triple A batteries to continue.

Lol, glad I watched only Pilot.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-09.MON_.png

That series premiere for Valor. Whew.

Edit: I watched the pilot. It's a little dated. Mostly a serious drama but they do that speed up and then slow down thing with the woosh sound effect for some reason. 90s and 00s comedies did it a lot...not sure why you'd have it in a drama.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

She actually takes the batteries out of the controller later. It's weird. lol

Ugh. I hate when network shows throw in video game related plotlines. It's always terrible.

jrush64

Banned
I'm still salty/bitter about iZombie always being benched to the next year for lame middling shows like Valor and Frequency. I'm always willing to be optimistic about new shows and not judge them before I see them.

Valor on the other hand doesn't look like anything. I've watched the trailer like 3 times and I still don't know what it's about. Is it another seal team army like show?

Like I said earlier, maybe i'm just salty/bitter about iZombie, their best show by far.

I guess CBS went all in on SEAL Team and SWAT and was like taking a chance on VALOR :(

At least SEAL Team is a dumb fun military action series(and has a budget)
even watching the first episode I don't "get" Valor as a CW series.

Budget is also absolutely horrendous on Valor, they had to CG(terrible quality at that) a plane just parked in the background at an airbase.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Damn, looks like it's going to be a bad year for The CW.

Now we know why Supergirl was so grumpy.
Good, the CW needs to learn to launch their seasons BEFORE every other network instead of after. When you do worse than everyone else you shouldn't let them launch their shows before yours. I want them to do something like what Fox did back in the day with The O.C., launch their lineup a month before the other networks so there's no competition to start the year and hopefully the shows finds and keeps an audience in that time.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
At least SEAL Team is a dumb fun military action series(and has a budget)
even watching the first episode I don't "get" Valor as a CW series.

Budget is absolutely horrendous on Valor, they had to CG(terrible quality at that) a plane just parked in the background at an airbase.

And this is the pilot. I guess by virtue of the premise, they don't have to do expensive fights and raid scenes too often because the leads are chopper pilots. They kinda tried glossing by that in the opening.

It's not soapy enough for The CW audience. They should be leaning more towards Army Wives than Seal Team. Especially when they ain't got money!

G0523

Damn, looks like it's going to be a bad year for The CW.

Now we know why Supergirl was so grumpy.

The thing with The CW is that they don't really care. As long as they can get deals with Netflix and international broadcasts, they'll let their low-rated shows run for 10 years if they want.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Supergirl is another "gets uploaded to Netflix one day after it airs in America" deal over here. There's actually quite a few of them now tbh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think Valor would have succeeded even in a world where there weren't two other similarly premised, better executed, and higher budgeted shows airing (SEAL Team and The Brave). Also, talk about audience miscalibration -- the CW has a younger audience. Has there ever been a military show that's attracted 20-somethings? MTV Films distributed Stop-Loss, the Channing Tatum vehicle, but that's about the only thing I can think of.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn it. I am pretty confident I will have no desire for whatever subscription service Apple comes up with to deliver their scripted programming.

TDLink

But hey I managed to avoid subscribing to Amazon for American Gods (sorry ivy, I'll but it on blu-ray I promise) so maybe I'll manage this as well.

I've heard Apple is going to announce a bunch of stuff this month and next month. They're going hard into high concept genre stuff especially. This is only the beginning.

And this is the pilot. I guess by virtue of the premise, they don't have to do expensive fights and raid scenes too often because the leads are chopper pilots. They kinda tried glossing by that in the opening.

It's not soapy enough for The CW audience. They should be leaning more towards Army Wives than Seal Team. Especially when they ain't got money!

Normally budget/CG on CW I completely forgive so my complaint might seem hypocritical but honestly its because those other shows are giving me stuff that you don't see on tv(besides maybe cartoons).

Im actually interested in the show and got some enjoyment from the premiere,
Just the wrong network at the wrong time.

It was already renewed in France and Canada, now United States is just following them.

Hey, I just saw something while browsing the internet.

Ransom is coproduction between 4 countries: Canada, United Sates, France and Germany.

CBS (United Sates) and RTL / VOX (Germany) might have cancelled Ransom some months ago, but the series is not dead yet because Global (Canada) and TF1 (France) have ordered a season 2.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Valor - 0.3

Valor 0.3

I'm going with 0.3 as well

Winners!

Prediction!

Valor - 0.4

Valor 0.6

Putting my guess in here.
Valor - 0.7

Valor - 0.5

Valor - 0.5

Going to high roll 0.8 and be wrong.

Valor - 0.9 (All the good numbers are taken, really like a 0.5)

Valor 1.7

Fails!

ZeroX03

Banned
Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-09.MON_.png

That series premiere for Valor. Whew.

Edit: I watched the pilot. It's a little dated. Mostly a serious drama but they do that speed up and then slow down thing with the woosh sound effect for some reason. 90s and 00s comedies did it a lot...not sure why you'd have it in a drama.

That's pretty terrible from Supergirl. Way down from last season. Doesn't bode well for any of the other shows.

Flash is probably a 0.7 or 0.8 if it also drops like that.

That's pretty terrible from Supergirl. Way down from last season. Doesn't bode well for any of the other shows.

Flash is probably a 0.7 or 0.8 if it also drops like that.

Supergirl premiered with Superman last season and then turned to complete crap(even decided to dump on their really well liked Superman in the final)
It doesn't surprise me at all, probably the highest it will be besides the crossover.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think Valor would have succeeded even in a world where there weren't two other similarly premised, better executed, and higher budgeted shows airing (SEAL Team and The Brave). Also, talk about audience miscalibration -- the CW has a younger audience. Has there ever been a military show that's attracted 20-somethings? MTV Films distributed Stop-Loss, the Channing Tatum vehicle, but that's about the only thing I can think of.
I assume the female protagonist is the big difference. It makes me wonder why someone hasn't just licensed Our Girl yet.

Note to myself:

SEAL Team is the show on CBS with David Boreanaz

The Brave is the show on NBC with Anne Heche

Valor is the show on The CW with Christina Ochoa (the girl from Blood Drive)

In this article about Amazon and TWC, two nuggets of info standout:
While the $75 million Weiner anthology is in production and is said to be going smoothly, the Russell series is said to have already cost Amazon $40 million with only a handful of scripts turned in. Amazon Studios head Roy Price brought The Weinstein Co. into the Russell project to co-finance but from the start, Weinstein was contractually excluded from creative input. A source says Weiner's reps have conveyed to Amazon that the showrunner expects the Weinstein name to be eliminated from the series. Weiner did not respond to requests for comment.

The Romanoffs, an eight-episode individual episodic anthology, has already begun casting and had drawn a collection of Mad Men stars including Christina Hendricks and John Slattery. Production on the first few episodes has been completed and a planned hiatus to accommodate Weiner's forthcoming book tour is rapidly approaching. The plan as it stands now is for Weiner to complete work on the series after his tour ends.

As for the untitled Russell drama, sources say some in the Tuesday meeting advocated scrapping its two-season order, to which the streaming giant is said to have committed $160 million. (The price tag for the series was so high that other outlets declined even to hear the pitch.) Sources stress that the Russell project remains the top priority for Price, who has come under fire recently for the company's inability to produce a breakout hit a la Game of Thrones. De Niro is said to have secured $750,000 per episode for the series, which is still casting. Weinstein, sources say, convinced Price that he could control the notoriously temperamental Russell.
Holy shit. $160 million for a David O Russel. series is already overkill, but then paying DeNiro 3/4 of a million per episode??? And to top it off, only a few scripts have been turned in? That money would be better spent in an incinerator at this rate.

Disappointed to hear Survivor's Remorse is canceled, especially since it seems like everything won't be wrapped up in the season finale this Sunday. Also considering it seemed to be getting its best ratings last season. Starz should have had it return for a new season the same time as Power. I know it aired some episodes alongside it, but it could have used the rub more.

It's been a slept on show since it first started airing though. Glad it introduced me to Erica Ash.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
In this article about Amazon and TWC, two nuggets of info standout:

the $75 million Weiner anthology is in production and is said to be going smoothly

Thank God.

Holy shit. $160 million for a David O Russel. series is already overkill, but then paying DeNiro 3/4 of a million per episode??? And to top it off, only a few scripts have been turned in? That money would be better spent in an incinerator at this rate.

$160 million for two seasons isn't too too bad when you consider that it's 16 episodes written and directed by David O Russell and starring two Oscar winners (one admittedly past his prime Robert De Niro and Julianne Moore). No idea how they've managed to spend $40 million when they're still in the script stage though...

Patryn

$160 million for two seasons isn't too too bad when you consider that it's 16 episodes written and directed by David O Russell and starring two Oscar winners (one admittedly past his prime Robert De Niro and Julianne Moore). No idea how they've managed to spend $40 million when they're still in the script stage though...

Except that a David O. Russell series is almost guaranteed to be a niche hit at best. I honestly don't see it exploding into the mainstream, at all. They may get the critical cred, but I feel like they're desperate for a populist hit which tend to not be conventional adult dramas. And indeed they already have that prestige drama in Transparent.That money would be much better off going to a genre show, IMO (which is a direction they already seem to be pivoting towards).

Top Bottom