• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Silence just flew under everybody's radar, probably no campaigning was done. Garfield's performance there is more deserving of a nom than Hacksaw Ridge. Definitely more deserving than any nomination Hell or High Water got, which honestly baffles me.

I don't think Chazelle is the type of dude to make oscar bait movies, just that La La land happens to appeal to the Award committee over films like moonlight due to subject matter.

I guess we should have separate terms for films that were created in an attempt to win awards, vs films that the academy can't help themselves from lauding.

La La Land is a concept that was always going to get an awards response if it was pulled off well (which it was). I don't think it was created to win awards though.

Sounds fair.

ZoddGutts

I thought Ryan Gosling's performance was better in The Nice Guys instead of La La Land.

He also had better chemistry with Crowe in that film than with Emma.

Also glad that Hacksaw got nominated. Hope Mel gets to make that Viking film now.

kswiston

I don't think you know what you are talking about. trust me there will be backlash if La La land beats it out. The same way there was backlash when Ali didn't win earlier this month.

Moonlight is the #1 movie of the year
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/film-critics-list-the-top-10-movies-of-2016
highest rated 2016 movie on letterbox
98 percent on rotten tomato

and ect.

so yea. there will be backlash.

This happens every year. I can't find those critic lists for previous years in the 2 minutes I spent looking, but if you look at the top rated film of each year on Metacritic, only one (12 Years a Slave) went on to win best picture. Last year's top rated film (Carol) wasn't even nominated for best picture.

Eidan

I don't think you know what you are talking about. trust me there will be backlash if La La land beats it out. The same way there was backlash when Ali didn't win earlier this month.

Moonlight is the #1 movie of the year
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/film-critics-list-the-top-10-movies-of-2016
highest rated 2016 movie on letterbox
98 percent on rotten tomato

and ect.

so yea. there will be backlash.

Moonlight has made $15 million in the box office. I'm not arguing that the film isn't acclaimed, or great. I'll amend my previous statement to say I can't imagine a huge backlash when a huge amount of people haven't seen the movie. Will there be a backlash of some form or another? Sure, because any time people enjoy things and their tastes aren't validated by a glorified trade show's awards ceremony there will be backlash. I just don't see it being large.

DJChuy

Suicide Squad getting a nomination was a huge surprise for me. Hopefully it doesn't win. Surely there were a lot more movies with better makeup than that and Star Trek ya?

Hacksaw Ridge is a good movie, most film critics would be in agreement.

That's fine. There's a ton of movies that most critics agree are also good that I'd imagine most film critics would also argue should get that nomination ahead of Hacksaw Ridge.

I mean, I guess Black Hawk Down got nominated once. It's the Oscars.

DerZuhälter;228995322 said:
Does the academy get this movie and tries to reward that, or does it not get the movie and tries to reward it for being something it clearly isn't? I'm not sure.

See: Birdman

rashbeep

Banned
I guess we should have separate terms for films that were created in an attempt to win awards, vs films that the academy can't help themselves from lauding.

La La Land is a concept that was always going to get an awards response if it was pulled off well (which it was). I don't think it was created to win awards though.

Fair enough

Acosta

"Hello, I'm Mel Gibson and I'm laughing at everyone who said my career was finished. I also have a pretty awesome beard".

C28h-H9UQAAkQI_.jpg

Schlep

After the circle jerk that was the Golden Globes with La La Land, Hidden Figures, and Fences...I can't do it again. Good movies, I'm sure, but I'll wait for the MTV Movie Awards.

Nielm

These are my picks anyway.

Best Picture: Moonlight
Lead Actor: Casey Affleck
Lead Actress: Emma Stone
Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis
Best Director: Mel Gibson
Adapted Screenplay: Fences
Original Screenplay: The Lobster
Cinematography: La La Land
Documentary Feature: O.J.: Made In America
Film Editing: Moonlight
Sound Editing: Sully
Sound Mixing: Rogue One
Production Design: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
Visual Effects: Rogue One
Original Score: La La Land
Original Song: City of Stars
Costume Design: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

Gastone

Extremely dissappointed that La La Land is getting this much love. I found most of the elements in the film to be mediocre at best.

I honestly think Hollywood is just going bonkers over a film that tries to recapture the magic of old school hollywood musicals.

TheFlow

Banned
Moonlight has made $15 million in the box office. I'm not arguing that the film isn't acclaimed, or great. I'll amend my previous statement to say I can't imagine a huge backlash when a huge amount of people haven't seen the movie. Will there be a backlash of some form or another? Sure, because any time people enjoy things and their tastes aren't validated by a glorified trade show's awards ceremony there will be backlash. I just don't see it being large.
Who knows

My predictions, or somewhere in between what I want to win and what I actually think will win, which would just be La La Land written over and over again.

- Best Picture: Moonlight
- Best Director: Damien Chazelle
- Lead Actor: Casey Affleck
- Lead Actress: Isabelle Huppert
- Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali
- Supporting Actress: Viola Davis
- Adapted Screenplay: Moonlight
- Original Screenplay: Manchester by the Sea
- Cinematography: La La Land
- Foreign Film: Toni Erdmann
- Documentary Feature: O.J: Made In America
- Animated Feature: Zootopia
- Film Editing: La La Land
- Original Song: City of Stars
- Original Score: La La Land
- Sound Editing: La La Land
- Sound Mixing: La La Land
- Visual Effects: The Jungle Book
- Production Design: La La Land
- Costume Design: Star Trek Beyond

kswiston

I have a feeling that the winners are going to be distributed this year.

I don't. I have had that feeling quite a bit in recent years, but I think that La La Land will take at least 3 of the big 5, including picture and director. Possibly 4 out of 5 if Emma Stone wins.

It will also at the very least take score and best song.

Manchester will get Best Actor. Moonlight will get best supporting actor. Fences will get best supporting actress. I'm not really sure who will take Adapted Screenplay.

Extremely dissappointed that La La Land is getting this much love. I found most of the elements in the film to be mediocre at best.

I honestly think Hollywood is just going bonkers over a film that tries to recapture the magic of old school hollywood musicals.

nothing wrong with liking or not liking a movie. But heres what i dont get..lets say this entity "hollywood" is going bonkers over a throwback musical. Whats the big deal?

No John Goodman for 10 Cloverfield Ln? Shame, he was incredible in that film.

I was saying it when people were pushing Deadpool as a potential spoiler, but if the industry was looking to rally behind a piece of genre entertainment as this year's wild-card or dark horse pick, I'd have hoped for 10 Cloverfield Lane.

But it didn't get a push

duckroll

Silence just flew under everybody's radar, probably no campaigning was done. Garfield's performance there is more deserving of a nom than Hacksaw Ridge. Definitely more deserving than any nomination Hell or High Water got, which honestly baffles me.

I wanna watch. T_T

number11

Is Hidden Figures that good? That's the only film on the list i haven't really heard anything about.

I'm also one of those people who doesn't get the Hell or High Water hype. The film was ok.. but that's it.

Timeaisis

I thought Hell or High Water was the best film of last year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Glad it got a nom, even though it won't win.

I expect La La Land or Arrival to take Best Picture.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Pulling for Denzel to get Best Actor. He KILLED it in Fences, I think its his best performance yet.

Sean C

My predicted winners (other than in the short categories, because whatever):

Picture - La La Land
Director - Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Actor - Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea
Actress - Emma Stone, La La Land
Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Supporting Actress - Viola Davis, Fences
Original Screenplay - Manchester by the Sea
Adapted Screenplay - Moonlight
Cinematography - La La Land
Editing - La La Land
Costume Design - La La Land
Production Design - La La Land
Original Score - La La Land
Original Song - "City of Stars", La La Land
Sound Editing - Hacksaw Ridge
Sound Mixing - La La Land
Makeup and Hairstyling - Star Trek Beyond
Visual Effects - The Jungle Book
Documentary Feature - O.J.: Made in America
Animated Feature - Zootopia
Foreign Language Feature - Toni Erdmann

C4Lukins

It was made as part of 30 for 30.

They did screen it as an 8-hour long documentary in theaters briefly, so it's eligible.

That is so cheap even if it is an amazing miniseries. They need to show the entire next season of Fargo at theaters, but I guess you have to do it before you show it on television. Stranger Things would have made sense as a digitally distributed miniseries. Show it for one day on the big screen and then the next day put it on Netflix.

The nominations for Best Animated Feature actually tend to be pretty good and inspired because the animation branch takes their craft seriously and it's done by assigning a score (from 6 to 10) rather than traditional vote. This prevents underseen films from being disadvantaged. When it comes to voting for winners though, everyone in the whole Academy votes in a first-past-the-post system so it just defaults to Disney/Pixar most of the time unfortunately.

I guess they just liked these 5 more than they liked Your Name. Stacked category this year.

He is not there because he is a bigot.

From upthread, it seems like he's partially there because he was a bigot.

(should probably put "was" in quotes, I guess)

Narratives are just as important behind the scenes as they are in front of the camera. A feel-good story will get you votes just as much as your craft will. And if the people at your studio know how to craft that story and get it in front of the right voters, the faults of your film can and will be papered over for the sake of the message the voter will be able to send with their vote

A good number of Oscar voters like to vote not so much on the merit but on their perceived role in helping make a real-life story come true. At which point it becomes a matter of "which vote will make you feel like you made more of a difference in Hollywood."

A film's quality is often not the primary concern when it comes to the bigger categories.

It's partially why I always think it's funny when people talk about Hollywood and Politics not mixing. Hollywood's version of politics is politics.

Which is probably why my question earlier about "why is all this boo hoo the poor white man never gets a break shit in here" was kind of a dumb one. Because these are the sorts of concerns that just won the Presidency. Why wouldn't it also apply to the Oscars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom