• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

Try again with that shit.

-EDIT-
I will leave my post but I definitely misread what Blader said.
And omgkitty..fuck off. Those evil white people.

Lol I can't tell if you're mad at my comment or not. My comment was made in jest, but you can't deny Hollywood creams their pants whenever someone makes a movie about them.

La La Land's max win total is basically 12. It competes against itself in best song, and Gosling has zero chance of winning.

Casey Affleck's sketchy past might push Gosling closer than you think. It's why I stuck with Gosling to win, he's well liked, learned to play piano for the role, and has no baggage. Would I be surprised if Casey wins? Hell no.

Blader

So la la land about to beat titanic and return of the king? For those who seen it is it really better than these two?

Probably best to never think of the Oscars, let alone the quantity of Oscars a single film wins, as determining what's better than something else. These are popularity contests and political campaigns.

Huh?
Spotlight - 2016
12 Years a Slave - 2014

Yes...and that's the other two out of the six. :lol

The Artist (2011), Argo (2012), Birdman (2014), and presumably La La Land (2016) all revolve around show biz to some degree: acting, filmmaking, Hollywood. There's always been a navel-gazing side to the industry, where they reward the movies that are most flattering to their professions, but this is getting ridiculous.

Lol I can't tell if you're mad at my comment or not. My comment was made in jest, but you can't deny Hollywood creams their pants whenever someone makes a movie about them.

Ohhh okay. Forgive me.
With the way Neogaf's Off Topic is these days ragging on the evil white man (and woman) seems to worm it's way into every thread.

Anyway...movies!

The Artist (2011), Argo (2012), Birdman (2014), and presumably La La Land (2016) all revolve around show biz to some degree: acting, filmmaking, Hollywood. There's always been a navel-gazing side to the industry, where they reward the movies that are most flattering to their professions, but this is getting ridiculous.

No, I know. I made an edit that I misread your post.
My bad.

kswiston

The shitsVitorm when La La Land wins Best Picture over Moonlight is gonna be something.

Moonlight has subject matter and the fact that no one saw the film when it was released going against it.

Viola Davis is by far the favourite for supporting actress, so it probably won't be a complete whiteout this year: http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/oscars/best-supporting-actress

Mahershala Ali is also the favourite in the supporting actor category, though not by quite the same margin: http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/oscars/best-supporting-actor

Blader

The shitstorm when La La Land wins Best Picture over Moonlight is gonna be something.

Jenkins could possibly win best director, I think. There are only a few times where the academy splits best picture and director wins, but that trend has been happening more often the last few years.

Shepard

I doubt these movies were first picked by the voters. The problem is, with the way the academy votes, more polarizing movies get shafted and you end up with the "critic pleasers" winning best picture.

mcfrank

Probably best to never think of the Oscars, let alone the quantity of Oscars a single film wins, as determining what's better than something else. These are popularity contests and political campaigns.

To be fair, Birdman and La La Land are actually the best movies of their year. The Artist and Argo are questionable.

kswiston

Casey Affleck's sketchy past might push Gosling closer than you think. It's why I stuck with Gosling to win, he's well liked, learned to play piano for the role, and has no baggage. Would I be surprised if Casey wins? Hell no.

Gosling isn't even the second seed. If Affleck loses, the statue will most likely go to Denzel.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I loved Arrival, but there was nothing special about her acting in that one. Everyone on that list is more deserving.

I need to watch Moonlight and manchester by the sea. might watch it tonight.

Hacksaw Ridge, huh.

...Hacksaw Ridge.

I wasnt a fan of the first half of the movie but when the war starts, holy crap. it's the most intense filmmaking i have ever seen. beats SPR imo. mel Gibson firing on all cylinders.

breakfuss

Whatever happened to that will smith movie where he was out in the snow? Looked like oscar bait for sure but I haven't heard anything about it since seeing the trailer lolol. Poor willie.

UberTag

Has oscar bait lost all meaning?

Like, can people make a good movie about showbiz without it being called oscar bait at this point?
Sure they can. You should go watch State and Main. That's an example of a good movie about showbiz that isn't Oscar bait. And, surprise, it wasn't nominated for any.

marrec

Banned
Hollywood sure got over Mel saying "I hope you get raped by a pack of niggers" pretty quickly.

How long has it been like, a million years right?

Sure they can. You should go watch State and Main. That's an example of a good movie about showbiz that isn't Oscar bait. And, surprise, it wasn't nominated for any.

Alright I don't see what makes La La Land oscar bait when State and Main isn't.

jett

D-Member
Hell yeah! Mel Gibson. My main man. Keep making movies!

Lala Land will win it all and that’s cool with me. Great movie.

Moonlight was a nothing movie. Really up its own ass thinking it’s so artistic.

I must be missing something with Hell or High Water. I watched it and it felt like a direct to DVD No Country for Old Men.

Didn’t see any of the other big movies in there.

Yeah I don't get Hell or High Water either. Is there even anything to get there? Was nothing more than okay.

I wasnt a fan of the first half of the movie but when the war starts, holy crap. it's the most intense filmmaking i have ever seen. beats SPR imo. mel Gibson firing on all cylinders.

I dunno that half of a war movie should be getting it done here, tho.

Also what the hell is going on with the "boo hoo the world is so unfair to white men" shit in the Oscars thread?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Why are you going Phew? It was eligible for this year's Oscars and it won't be eligible next year.
They got their single LA screening out of the way instead of waiting for the big theatrical rollout. No nomination for Shinkai will be had.

Fuck that then.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Ohhh okay. Forgive me.
With the way Neogaf's Off Topic is these days ragging on the evil white man (and woman) seems to worm it's way into every thread.

Anyway...movies!
200.gif

UberTag

Jenkins could possibly win best director, I think. There are only a few times where the academy splits best picture and director wins, but that trend has been happening more often the last few years.
I can see Jenkins winning for Director, La La Land and Chazelle winning for Picture and Lonergan winning for Screenplay. Will give each of the big three films a prize for their director - yay, everybody wins.

kswiston

Calling La La Land oscarbait is ridiculous.

I guess we should have separate terms for films that were created in an attempt to win awards, vs films that the academy can't help themselves from lauding.

La La Land is a concept that was always going to get an awards response if it was pulled off well (which it was). I don't think it was created to win awards though.

TheFlow

Banned
I can see Jenkins winning for Director, La La Land and Chazelle winning for Picture and Lonergan winning for Screenplay. Will give each of the big three films a prize for their director - yay, everybody wins.

Moonlight BP, La la land best director, and Manchester original screenplay.

Just off a cursory glance it looks like a good slate of noms overall. I would have liked to see noms for The Witch for best cinematography and original screenplay, The Handmaiden for best foreign film, and Amy Adams for best actress though.

Moonlight is a good film with a lot of problems. Serious writing issues honestly. Handwaves away too many important events.

It doesn't handwave anything away. You feel the impact of characters and events in subtle ways, in a very realistic manner. It didn't need some big scene exploring exactly how x character effected little, or revisiting it.

Meowster

Chicago was nominated for 13 awards and won 6.

Historically musicals tend to sweep the Oscars when there's a pretty good one.
Les Miserables didn't sweep but it won it's fair share of Oscars as well. The people making musicals might be dead but AMPAS will always be eager to award a solid musical.

Hollywood sure got over Mel saying "I hope you get raped by a pack of niggers" pretty quickly.

That was years ago and the man has been repenting for his actions and engaging with groups that he had offended privately.

6 years sober and fighting the illness, dude deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom