• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaj

While I didn't expect it to be there, I'm disappointed Warcraft wasn't nominated for Best Visual Effects. Certainly deserves it over Deepwater Horizon.

Oscar worthy
a7a.gif
Lol

Can someone also please shop in lost travolta.gif

Genuinely surprised, and very pleased, with how many noms Hacksaw Ridge got. Hell yea Gibson!

La La Land will probably rake all of em in though.

br3wnor

Hoping Manchester upsets for Best Picture but it'll probably be a La La Land wave.

Affleck should be a lock for best actor though, he was fucking incredible, one of the best performances I've seen in years.

Saw the movie last week and it's still tumbling around in my head, really impactful stuff.

***I need to see Moonlight and Arrival.

Since when has Academy backlash ever been tied to how many people have seen a movie?

This is a pretty good point. Many people voting won't even have watched half the films. If that.

For example, it appears Mel Gibson is being rewarded for his stint in rehab more than he is his middling war movie.

marrec

Banned
This is a pretty good point. Many people voting won't even have watched half the films. If that.

For example, it appears Mel Gibson is being rewarded for his stint in rehab more than he is his middling war movie.

It's encouragement. "Here's a bit for channeling some of the real shit, now go back to the drawing board and get proper violent on film and we might give you a statue"

I enjoyed the hell out of Hacksaw Ridge tbh

GhaleonEB

Very glad to see Arrival with so many noms. I need to see more of the major nominees - La La Land didn't play at all up here. :(

UberTag

No Your Name nominations. Anime fans on suicide watch.
FUNi should have held off on the eligibility screening.
This is on them.

Especially when the animated films lined up for 2017 are nothing from Disney, nothing from Laika, a Cars sequel, another Pixar-flick when they've been in a slump outside of Inside Out and a Lego movie after the Academy snubbed the last one when it was the best animated film of the past 5 years.

So yeah, they fucked up.

The only reason I'm not upset with Gibson's nom is because the hour long battle sequence was a fucking clinic in how to do war right and it amazing me the entire time I watched it.

Eidan

Since when has Academy backlash ever been tied to how many people have seen a movie?

The last big best picture backlash was what? Brokeback Mountain's loss to Crash? Brokeback Mountain was by no means a blockbuster, but it made at least five times what Moonlight has made so far. I say all this to say I feel like you need an actual number of people to gain a backlash, a number I don't think Moonlight has reached yet.

EDIT: On further reflection, I'd say the last big best picture backlash was actually The Dark Knight's snub. The backlash for its lack of a nomination was so strong that it made the Oscars change the number of Best Picture nominees again.

I don't know what film you were watching but Hacksaw was far from middling. The film deserves the love it's been getting. And this is coming from someone who as recently as a couple years back couldn't even rewatch Lethal Weapon due to my dislike of Gibson.

Going to watch LLL whenever I can. Better be worth all this damn hype. Disco said Manchester by the sea was great so I'll check that out too.

Also glad to see Deadpool fanboys get humbled... It wasn't even the best marvel branded film last year. FOH with that trash

La La Land gonna win most.

Its gonna be the usual Hollywood wankfest.

If another movie wins i would be shocked and positively surprised.

Pachimari

I am glad that the Danish movie Land of Mine, and the Danish shortfilm Silent Nights has been nominated. Also nice to see Doctor Strange get a nomination.

TheFlow

Banned
The last big best picture backlash was what? Brokeback Mountain's loss to Crash? Brokeback Mountain was by no means a blockbuster, but it made at least five times what Moonlight has made so far. I say all this to say I feel like you need an actual number of people to gain a backlash, a number I don't think Moonlight has reached yet.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. trust me there will be backlash if La La land beats it out. The same way there was backlash when Ali didn't win earlier this month.

Moonlight is the #1 movie of the year
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/film-critics-list-the-top-10-movies-of-2016
highest rated 2016 movie on letterbox
98 percent on rotten tomato

and ect.

so yea. there will be backlash.

kswiston

Les Miserables didn't sweep but it won it's fair share of Oscars as well. The people making musicals might be dead but AMPAS will always be eager to award a solid musical.

Musicals that have grossed at least $50M domestic since the start of the millennium (screening out stuff like the Muppets or animated films):

Moulin Rouge! (2001) - 8 nominations and 2 wins
Chicago (2002) - 13 nominations and 6 wins
The Phantom of the Opera (2004) - 3 nominations
Dreamgirls (2006) - 8 nominations and 2 wins
Hairspray (2007) - 0 nominations
Enchanted (2007) - 3 nominations
Sweeny Todd (2007) - 3 nominations and 1 win
High School Musical 3 (2008) - 0 nominations
Mamma Mia! (2008) - 0 nominations
Les Miserables (2012) - 8 nominations and 3 wins
Annie (2014) - 0 nominations
Into the Woods (2014) - 3 nominations
La La Land (2016) - 14 nominations

I bolded the films that were nominated for best picture. Other than maybe Dreamgirls for a BP nom, I'm not seeing much in the way of snubs. Musicals are over-represented in the Academy Awards if anything (and yes, some of that comes from easy best song nominations)

La La Land gonna win most.

Its gonna be the usual Hollywood wankfest.

If another movie wins i would be shocked and positively surprised.

"Hollywood worships everything but values nothing."

Does the academy get this movie and tries to reward that, or does it not get the movie and tries to reward it for being something it clearly isn't? I'm not sure.

I for once hated the cynical 2nd half of the movie.

Silence getting snubbed for the Screenplay category is a bit of a bummer, but the nominations are overall pretty solid.

Silence was kind of strange case. It was one of Scorsese's passion projects and well done but it lacked the oomph or commercial appeal that has propelled most of his recent films. It's very much a personal film for him and thus wasn't going to get the recognition because of it.

BioHazard

Musicals that have grossed at least $50M domestic since the start of the millennium (screening out stuff like the Muppets or animated films):

Moulin Rouge! (2001) - 8 nominations and 2 wins
Chicago (2002) - 13 nominations and 6 wins
The Phantom of the Opera (2004) - 3 nominations
Dreamgirls (2006) - 8 nominations and 2 wins
Hairspray (2007) - 0 nominations
Enchanted (2007) - 3 nominations
Sweeny Todd (2007) - 3 nominations and 1 win
High School Musical 3 (2008) - 0 nominations
Mamma Mia! (2008) - 0 nominations
Les Miserables (2012) - 8 nominations and 3 wins
Annie (2014) - 0 nominations
Into the Woods (2014) - 3 nominations
La La Land (2016) - 14 nominations

I bolded the films that were nominated for best picture. Other than maybe Dreamgirls for a BP nom, I'm not seeing much in the way of snubs. Musicals are over-represented in the Academy Awards if anything (and yes, some of that comes from easy best song nominations)

Yeah, always thought that it was weird that people were super praising the BOLDNESS and COURAGE it took to make and release a musical these days. I was like, huh? Musicals are made pretty consistently these days (obviously nothing compared to 50s-60s MGM). Granted, La La Land is leagues better than all those musicals listed above.

norm9

La la land, Arrival, and Suicide Squad were the only oscar nominated films I've seen so I'll root for them.

Blader

Silence was kind of strange case. It was one of Scorsese's passion projects and well done but it lacked the oomph or commercial appeal that has propelled most of his recent films. It's very much a personal film for him and thus wasn't going to get the recognition because of it.

That, and I don't think Paramount did any real campaigning for it, in large part because they had their hands full pushing movies like Arrival, Fences, Allied, etc. Don't think there was any time or energy to make a similar push for Silence.

Yeah, always thought that it was weird that people were super praising the BOLDNESS and COURAGE it took to make and release a musical these days. I was like, huh? Musicals are made pretty consistently these days (obviously nothing compared to 50s-60s MGM). Granted, La La Land is leagues better than all those musicals listed above.

It's an original musical where as most modern musical films are based on Broadway shows or have the Disney marketing machine behind them.

Your Name got snubbed. It was never going to win, but I would've liked it to at least get a nomination, it was such a great film. But it's not for kids, only got a week long play in LA to qualify for the Oscars and the voters probably saw Ghibli and just defaulted to it... Alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom