• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup Preliminary Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
How are France and Italy in Pot 2 when England and Wales are in Pot 1.
6b3b08bb0a1c5414e893b20cff02af58.png

Not sure how wales got there, though.

tomtom94

How are France and Italy in Pot 2 when England and Wales are in Pot 1.

Because FIFA rankings are based on recent results, Wales and England have been on a winning streak in their respective Euro qualifying groups, which give the most weight to the rankings.

Xando

Nice group for Germany (Czech republic, Northern Ireland,Norway, Azerbaijan, San Marino).

Netherlands took one for the team there.

Lach

Group I looks like really even.

Happy for Switzerland. Portugal is tough but one we can beat on a good (very) day!

Andrefpvs

There will be some very tough teams in the second place play-offs. Everyone should be aiming for top of the group to avoid the play-offs.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Group I is wide open. Any team but Finland could get the second place spot.

To the Swiss dude, Portugal have talent but they're easily beatable. Even with CR7 they have laughable results against small teams.

Serbia actually got an easy group. I feel like we can qualify for 2018. Canada on the other hand is going to drop out against Belize lol.

lol at England and Scotland in one group and L M A O at Macedonia and Albania

OctoMan

Banned
Group B in Concacaf damn. By far the toughest. Haiti is raw but shows flashes of hanging with anyone and Jamaica is all the sudden in the top class. Costa Rica might struggle to survive there. Mexico and US lucked out.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep, Sweden is out before it even started! We may just as well withdraw right now and spare ourselves the embarrassment. Last time we at least had a chance. Now? Lol.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
People say this is an easy group for Mexico, but they've been playing like shit recently and they ALWAYS seem to struggle playing in central america.
I think we will struggle versus Honduras, but El Salvador has been doing things so badly lately with players getting lifetime bans and changing coaches yet again that even with our current form I see no way we will fail to reach the Hex.

I wish I had happy things to say about the Canadian team. Sorry, Canucks.

I think we will struggle versus Honduras, but El Salvador has been doing things so badly lately with players getting lifetime bans and changing coaches yet again that even with our current form I see no way we will fail to reach the Hex.

Not to mention Canada is in the group as well. I think Mexico won't have major problems getting to the Hex at the very least.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Re: CONMEBOL, the biggest news here is that Brasil will have to visit Chile in the first date without Neymar, and that Uruguay will host Colombia and Chile and visit Ecuador and Bolivia without Luis Suárez.

Also, you forgot to list the intercontinental playoffs:

4th CONCACAF vs 5th AFC
1st OFC vs 5th CONMEBOL

If only the world cup qualifier worked like the UEFA qualifier, then maybe we would have had a chance. Unfortunately I assume both Germany and Czech Republic will be too strong.

At this point I can't even imagine what it would feel like if Norway actually qualified to a major tournament again, especially a world cup. It's been 15 fucking years since Euro 2000, and 17 since the 1998 World Cup. UEFA seems intent to let everyone and their mother participate in the Euros going forward, which is neat, but we still gotta beat Bulgaria to grab that third spot behind Italy and Croatia. I have no faith. I ecpect nothing.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Re: CONMEBOL, the biggest news here is that Brasil will have to visit Chile in the first date without Neymar, and that Uruguay will host Colombia and Chile and visit Ecuador and Bolivia without Luis Suárez.

Also, you forgot to list the intercontinental playoffs:

4th CONCACAF vs 5th AFC
1st OFC vs 5th CONMEBOL
I see Chile's checks extended past Copa America to get this favorable draw. Conmebol still having to do a playoff is such a load of crap. Their 5th best team is better than Africa's best team, no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom