• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20th Century Fox chooses Blu-Ray

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp, a major U.S. movie distributor, will adopt the Blu-ray disc standard for next-generation DVD players developed by Sony Corp and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co and other companies, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported Sunday.

The economic daily said Twentieth Century Fox's move may give the Blu-ray disc standard an advantage over HD DVD, another format for DVD players developed by Toshiba Corp, NEC Corp and other companies.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10616

Columbia Tri-Star, MGM, 20th Century Fox (and Disney, rumors say)... the list is growing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Panajev2001a said:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10616

Columbia Tri-Star, MGM, 20th Century Fox (and Disney, rumors say)... the list is growing.

Columbia/Tri-Star, MGM are all Sony companies :/

Basically it's all on paramount, new line, universal, disney, warner brothers, Dreamworks, Buena Vista, Miramax. If they all go HD-DVD then Blu-ray will eventually get outmuscled.

What would be interesting is if all the major studios end up going split 50-50

Seth C

DopeyFish said:
Columbia/Tri-Star, MGM are all Sony companies :/

Basically it's all on paramount, new line, universal, disney, warner brothers, Dreamworks, Buena Vista, Miramax. If they all go HD-DVD then Blu-ray will eventually get outmuscled.

What would be interesting is if all the major studios end up going split 50-50

Interesting for?

Oh yeah, everyone but consumers.

IgeL

I guess I'm still an Xbox fanboy... "Oh crap" was pretty much what I thought when I saw the title.

Deku Tree

seismologist said:
What does this have to do with the Xbox?

If the xbox 2 is released for xmas 2005 in the US then it will have to use HD DVD instead of Blu-Ray cause Blu-Ray wont be ready yet. Some people say it could be similar to Nintendo going with Cartridges last gen at least if people will really consider Blu-Ray movie playback to be an important part of their console.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Deku Tree said:
If the xbox 2 is released for xmas 2005 in the US then it will have to use HD DVD instead of Blu-Ray cause Blu-Ray wont be ready yet. Some people say it could be similar to Nintendo going with Cartridges last gen at least if people will really consider Blu-Ray movie playback to be an important part of their console.

It wouldn't be as bad a decision as using carts was for Nintendo just because carts weren't popular with developers, while HD-DVD wouldn't likely piss off or severly limit developers in the first few years of Xenon development.

That said, HD-DVD is looking more and more like a stop-gap medium.

Wanna know why?

BREAKING NEWS…

Fox joins Blu-ray board of directors

Twentieth Century Fox is expected to announce Monday that it has joined
the board of directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a group
promoting one of two competing hardware standards for the high-definition DVD.

The involvement of Fox gives Blu-ray its only major studio presence
outside of Sony Pictures, whose parent company developed the format.

Fox officials stressed over the weekend, however, that the move does
not represent an endorsement of Blu-ray or a commitment to release titles
in the format.

http://email.videobusiness.com/cgi-bin4/DM/y/ejoM0GJZVl0B4F0CpAo0AX

ManaByte

Gold Member
Milhouse31 said:
Disney, Buena Vista & Miramax = same people

True, but you need to remember that Miramax and Touchstone supported DVD LONG before DISNEY did with any of the "Walt Disney Pictures" movies or any of their animated films. Just because Miramax is on a format, it doesn't mean that "Disney" is there yet.

DopeyFish

jarrod said:
Xenon will assuredly be DVD, not HD-DVD or BD.

Probably not. The DVD format was listed as a placeholder, because it's quite possible that at the time that the specsheet was written up, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray were a) not finalised or b) Microsoft was currently in talks with the format holders (so they could not say that's what they were planning)

I will say there is still a possibility of Xbox2 using DVD, but you'll most likely see the Xbox 2 announced using a better format.

Rhindle

I think this is by far the biggest problem Xbox2 has. It's potentially fatal to launch with DVD if Sony does in fact manage to get a BRD drive into PS3.

the fact that the PS3 will play blu-ray makes supporting it a no-brainer, imo. chances are, sony's going to sell another 50-70 million units of PS3. why wouldn't you want a piece of that market? i expect most, if not all, movie studios to jump onboard. sony cannot be stopped...

Culex

Banned
I don't know what MS is going to do. They obviously can't use DVD's if they want to compete with Sony next gen. Blue-Ray would mean ridiculous royalties to their competition. Or they can go with HD-DVD, which seems to be losing support as the time goes by in comparison to Blue-Ray.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Culex said:
I don't know what MS is going to do. They obviously can't use DVD's if they want to compete with Sony next gen. Blue-Ray would mean ridiculous royalties to their competition. Or they can go with HD-DVD, which seems to be losing support as the time goes by in comparison to Blue-Ray.

THERE IS NOT ONLY SONY IN THE BLU-RAY DISC ASSOCIATION WHICH BTW HAS ALREADY LICENSED VC-1/VC-9/WMV FROM MICROSOFT: MICROSOFT WOULD JUST NEED TO BECOME A MEMBER AND THEY WOULD SHARE THE ROYALTES ;).

Better ?

Culex

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
THERE IS NOT ONLY SONY IN THE BLU-RAY DISC ASSOCIATION WHICH BTW HAS ALREADY LICENSED VC-1/VC-9/WMV FROM MICROSOFT: MICROSOFT WOULD JUST NEED TO BECOME A MEMBER AND THEY WOULD SHARE THE ROYALTES ;).

Better ?

:)

Che

Banned
Panajev2001a said:

Better ?

F'cking great! Sony supports a useless codec just to get windows support. Microsoft's blackmail tactics never dissapoint me. Btw aren't they gonna use H.263?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Blu-Ray is a disk storage format. It is not a DVD codec. Sony has chosen Blu-Ray as the storage medium of choice, not DVD playback format. They may well decide to use it to play back HD DVDs, but if they do, it would need to incorporate some very costly video hardware and licensing. If the first bunch of Blu Ray HD DVD players cost say, $600, the PS3 won't be playing back HD DVDs unless it appears in an expensive high end PSX style edition. Which I would love, to be honest.

And I reckon you're going to see cross format DVD players, possibly more akin to DTS and Dolby 5.1 than VHS and Betamax. And let's not forget, Sony has a pretty mixed history of format provision. Their tech tends to favor Sony IP protection rather than quality. MD, Memory Stick, Betamax, UMD, ATRAC...

DopeyFish

Che said:
F'cking great! Sony supports a useless codec just to get windows support. Microsoft's blackmail tactics never dissapoint me. Btw aren't they gonna use H.263?

uh, VC-1(VC-9) is one of the best, if not the best video codec in existence.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Blu-Ray Disc Association mandates the support for the following codecs in Blu-Ray players:

MPEG2

MPEG4 AVC High Profile (better than regular H.263)

VC-1/VC-9/WMV9

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Culex said:
Blue-Ray would mean ridiculous royalties to their competition.
HD-DVD would mean royalties too, and since HD-DVD is a DVD forum proposed specification and most of the BRD forum members, including Sony, are still a part of the DVD forum, I think it means royalties to their competition either way. Could be wrong though.

kaching said:
HD-DVD would mean royalties too, and since HD-DVD is a DVD forum proposed specification and most of the BRD forum members, including Sony, are still a part of the DVD forum, I think it means royalties to their competition either way. Could be wrong though.

I think you're right on that one.

seanoff

Matsushita Electric Industrial Co

here is a reason why blu ray has a running start. Sony + Matsushita + LG + Samsung + Sharp+ Philips + Hitachi + Mitsubishi + Dell + HP .

u r all going on like its a Sony thing, the Blu ray consortium is a huge chunk of the consumer electronics industry. Matsushita is a very big (ie much bigger than sony) part of this and along with the others have a very good chance of making the industry jump their way.

thorns

Banned
I think neither blu ray nor hd dvd will succeed, at least not more than SACD and DVD-Audio did. It's not nearly as big of a jump as it was from VHS -> DVD.

border

I agree that it is probably too soon for a new video format. DVD's advantages over VHS were immense, whereas the advantages of high definition optical discs over DVD aren't really evident unless you own a $2000 TV and $500 home theatre. It will be very tough getting people to upgrade, since many of them still haven't completely re-purachased their favorite films on DVD.

The only chance they have to make sure that the format(s) don't just become bleeding-edge enthusiast items (like LaserDisc or DVD-Audio) is to include them in mass-market devices like videogame consoles.

Just out of curiousity, why is it that these movie studios are supposedly "forced" to choose one standard over the other? Can't they just release movies in both formats until there is a clear winner? There were movies on DVD and Divx until it became obvious that Divx was a huge failure....

luxsol

border said:
Just out of curiousity, why is it that these movie studios are supposedly "forced" to choose one standard over the other? Can't they just release movies in both formats until there is a clear winner? There were movies on DVD and Divx until it became obvious that Divx was a huge failure....
Or Betamax and VHS!

It's just cheaper to have to only print movies in one format. No fear in producing thousands of copies only to see them not being sold at stores, or stores not accepting them in the first place.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I will say there is still a possibility of Xbox2 using DVD, but you'll most likely see the Xbox 2 announced using a better format.
Not to mention the "better format" route isn't without disadvantages. A 16x speed DVD is pretty damn fast optical device, both HD-DVD and even BRD are significantly slower at their base speeds.
Obviously DVD would be cheaper too, especially for a 2005 device, and that extra cost could be usefull elsewhere, say having a HDD in there :p

jarrod

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Neither HD format will be cheap enough by 2005 for Xenon. In terms of design philosophy, it isn't exactly XBox 2 remember... MS is looking at shaving costs not adding them.

Che

Banned
DopeyFish said:
uh, VC-1(VC-9) is one of the best, if not the best video codec in existence.

uh no fucking way! It's one of the worst codecs in history conserning encoding-decoding processing power, quality and filesize. There are more or less 5 mainstream MPEG4 codecs in existence if by "one of the best" you mean it's #5 I'dl have to agree with you. In any other case you are clearly wrong.

Che

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
The Blu-Ray Disc Association mandates the support for the following codecs in Blu-Ray players:

MPEG2

MPEG4 AVC High Profile (better than regular H.263)

VC-1/VC-9/WMV9

That's what I'm talking about! This codec is a monster from the looks of it. My guess is that Sony and the others will fully adopt AVC and they'll keep WMV9 in the papers just to have windows support.

DopeyFish

Che said:
uh no fucking way! It's one of the worst codecs in history conserning encoding-decoding processing power, quality and filesize. There are more or less 5 mainstream MPEG4 codecs in existence if by "one of the best" you mean it's #5 I'dl have to agree with you. In any other case you are clearly wrong.

so what if it takes processing power, normally a 1920x1080 clip with 5.1 sound will take a lot of processing power to decode.

When DVDs have a resolution of 720x480 and still require a P3 500 to play properly, and then you have a 1080p clip which is exactly 6 times the resolution... shouldn't the video take approximately 6 times the amount of processor power to decode? or not? And that's at a much higher quality than the regular DVD spec.

Quality? unmatched. filesize? Filesize:quality ratio? unmatched.

Fitting a 2 hour long feature film encoded in VC-1 1080p onto a dvd disc and still having over a gig to spare is pretty fuckin impressive.

Put down the goggles, and go back to school.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why is xmas 2005 unreachable with bluray? There are bluray recorders out there now, and the bluray rom format is fairly set.

The only thing that might not be is the video playback format. But MS didn't have DVD video playback on Xbox until you bought the dongle (and therefore paid the DVD forum license fee). They could do the same with bluray playback and have a disc with a bluray player that installs on xbox2

jarrod

Banned
mrklaw said:
why is xmas 2005 unreachable with bluray? There are bluray recorders out there now, and the bluray rom format is fairly set.
Cost. Affordable BD by 2006 will be a stretch for Sony, it's simply impossible in 2005 for MS. Not for a $299 console anyway...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Any ideas on how much a 2x speed BRD drive might cost them at that time? And mind you that's still only 60% of 16x DVD Rom speed... (for BR-ROM spec - the writeable media is actually slower).

Actually that's an interesting question (it pertains PS3 as well for that matter if it is to launch in early 2006) would people prefer around 2x slower HD format over standard DVD?

Jonnyram

Coincidentally there was a Japanese News segment on TV last night about HD-DVD vs BluRay, probably because of the Fox announcement. It was interesting to see that HD-DVD products should be on sale from summer next year, and I believe the medium is considerably cheaper than BluRay. The comparison with VHS vs Betamax was drawn, but little else was said.

I would guess that including an HD-DVD reader in the Xbox 2 wouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as BluRay, but I thought MS are making their own proprietary format that is partially writeable? Which publishers would actually make games for HD-DVD or BluRay though? For a long, long time, it will be so much cheaper to put big games on multiple DVDs rather than a new format, won't it?

Yusaku

I think you guys are overestimating the importance of HD-DVD/Blu-Ray in next-gen consoles. DVD would still be just fine, and I'm sure at least one next-gen console will be vanilla DVD.

Che

Banned
DopeyFish said:
so what if it takes processing power, normally a 1920x1080 clip with 5.1 sound will take a lot of processing power to decode.

When DVDs have a resolution of 720x480 and still require a P3 500 to play properly, and then you have a 1080p clip which is exactly 6 times the resolution... shouldn't the video take approximately 6 times the amount of processor power to decode? or not? And that's at a much higher quality than the regular DVD spec.

Quality? unmatched. filesize? Filesize:quality ratio? unmatched.

Fitting a 2 hour long feature film encoded in VC-1 1080p onto a dvd disc and still having over a gig to spare is pretty fuckin impressive.

Put down the goggles, and go back to school.

When I was encoding divx with gdm you were still playing with your marbles. Please don't speak to me about video encoding, you are obviously totally ignorant. I mean you're so lame that you're getting impressed by wmv using MPEG-2 standards. You're that ignorant. Quality sucks, it's actually one the worst MPEG4 codecs as far as quality is concerned. Filesize is also pretty bad. Plus the decoding power used is trully pathetic compared to other MPEG4 codecs on a normal 640x480 video. VP6, RV9, Divx5, Xvid and the new MPEG4 AVC High Profile are all far more superior codecs. WMV is simply a generation behind them. The least you can do when you don't know about something is shut up, instead of defending it (by attacking others) just cause it's Microsoft.

Now you put down the goggles, and go back to school. Bye.

DopeyFish

LOL. I was encoding FLCs/FLIs when you were still in your mothers womb!

First you compare mpeg-2 with VC-1 (a no-no). Who cares about 640x480? VC-1 is a high definition codec. (1080p/720p). DivX was designed mainly for the better compression of DVD and lower resolution samples. IT'S NOT TO BE USED AS A LOSSLESS LIKE VC-1 WAS INTENDED FOR. The only redeeming features of DivX, Xvid, etc is the fact that they were easier to layer mp3/ac3 audio behind them plus it had a more refined video compression algorithm. (AT THE TIME)

Of course, it seems you're talking about Microsoft's old Mpeg-4 codec which came out a lonnnng while back and not Microsoft's current codec. Because DivX and Xvid are based on the old one, WMV9(VC-1) were upgraded and just started to smack the shit out of those codecs. Especially in HD resolutions, sound, and streaming support.

Oh wait, but it's Microsoft, THEY STRONG ARM EVERYONE ALL THEIR PRODUCTS ARE SHIT OMG THE WORLD IS GOING TO END

I'd zip your mouth, because, you're way out of your league.

Top Bottom