• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

Rich!

I wonder how much of the 24 look will carry over to the new series. We know the split screens will return, but what else? Bit of a list:

- 24 Clock/splitscreen during advert break interval
- "The following takes place..." title card
- Multiple windows during opening cast list
- Clock appearing at bottom of screen in certain scenes
- 24 Theme playing at end of each episode

I'm sure everyone can agree that each of those contribute a lot to the overall feel of 24.

Rich!

I would bet that all of those will be in.

yeah, I'm guessing so too. 24:LAD is, for all intents and purposes, 24 Season 9. It's not even a reboot.

One thing is for certain - it will be fucking weird to be able to marathon an entire season of 24 within a single night...

Vally

I wonder how much of the 24 look will carry over to the new series. We know the split screens will return, but what else? Bit of a list:

I'm sure everyone can agree that each of those contribute a lot to the overall feel of 24.

Yeah, I hope they keep all those things. Also the 'Events occur in real time' for at least the first episode would be nice.

edit: kinda beaten lol

I wonder how long until the first 'silent clock'?

Newlove

Another common theme in the series that started coming in later on was the tension building split screens at the end of episodes, where the entire picture would slowly move into a square box with around 3-4 scenes going on before a final scene. It wasn't in every episode but I always loved that part. What I would love to see is an updated clock intro at the start. Something more in line with the promos.

Vally

Another common theme in the series that started coming in later on was the tension building split screens at the end of episodes, where the entire picture would slowly move into a square box with around 3-4 scenes going on before a final scene. It wasn't in every episode but I always loved that part. What I would love to see is an updated clock intro at the start. Something more in line with the promos.

Yeah, I loved when they went overboard with the split screens at the end of that Season 5 episode

MegaSplitScreen.jpg

Rich!

ah yeah! I forgot that! Definitely a key part of what makes a 24 episode a "24 episode". And that Season 5 example is the best - logan's face only appears right at the end for a split second, and it's hilarious.

I'm not sure how the intro will take form...they need the beeping clock at the start imo, but the added text of "Live Another Day" would ruin the simplicity of it. Either way, I wouldn't mind the sounds from the Pilot episode to come back:

http://a.pomf.se/puywzt.webm

I mean, just listen to that - hearing something like that next week would be the equivalent of Bauer punching you in the face whilst shouting "IM BAAAAACK MOTHERFUCKERS"

Rich!

Here's a blast from the past...reactions to the Logan twist in S5:

Can they make the big reveal of
the VP being a bad guy
any more obvious? :lol

I really hope that Bill is not getting the boot. I like his character a lot.

and then

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT DOG!

shit....

more reason to hate logan

WTF??!!?? :O :O :O
LOGAN?!!?

Blown away jerry. blowowowowowowowowowown.

OH SNAP! Logan making moves man. That's a fucking swerve right there. PEACE.

Every fucking 24 fan got played like a fiddle on that one. They have been making it look like it was the VP since he showed up.

HOLY JESUS TITTY FUCKING CHRIST

Looking back on it, it's funny - we all should have seen it coming. Logan was set up as the big bad right from the first time we saw him in S4.

Rich!

Logan looked so harmless would have guess

Even so, rewatching S4 makes it clear that his goofiness and lack of any kind of confidence or integrity makes him seriously dangerous.

eg. the hit on jack he authorized due to pressure from Cummings. Right from the beginning he was shown as someone who gave into pressure, and was a risk to anyone near him - including Palmer.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

I can't remember hearing/seeing the theme on new episodes; FOX would always show the preview in another panel while the credits rolled, off to the side. I don't think I ever even heard it until watching the show on DVD — at which time I realized that it's one of the best TV themes ever.

One thing that I've always loved in 24 is the driving scenes; I just feel like they've always been done extremely well, with some excellent lighting. Hopefully we'll get some of those in this series (although it will be bizarre to see Jack on the other side of the car).

bndadm

Looking back on it, it's funny - we all should have seen it coming. Logan was set up as the big bad right from the first time we saw him in S4.

Thanks for posting those. This will be my first 24 season as a part of NeoGAF, so it feels like I'm starting all over with the 24 love again.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah, I loved when they went overboard with the split screens at the end of that Season 5 episode

MegaSplitScreen.jpg
Miles, I forgot about that douche. Probably my most-hated character in the series.

Vibranium

Banned

Heh, it caught me off guard too, even though like you said, they dropped some serious hints. Man I wish I was on GAF when this happened, but I'll be here for LAD!

vatstep

Here's hoping this thread gets lots of activity. The S7-8 threads kind of lacked the magic of the older ones. GAF is so much bigger since S8 ended, though, I think all the new blood will be a boon.

Vally

Man... i wish i was a member of GAF during these days

EDIT: The amount of Metal Gear references in that thread is uncanny :lol

After having played Ground Zeroes it's fun to rewatch some of the episodes, the assault on the Chinese consulate in S4 for example. Jack enters the building to extract that Chinese dude with support from CTU, using a tranquilizer gun to take out the enemies and then he escapes carrying the guy while the guards fire at him, that's pretty much a Ground Zeroes mission. The only thing missing was Tony telling Jack to check his iDroid every two minutes

B4D1E

Let's hope that the hype will make FOX publish all seasons Bluray boxset. So I can enjoy 24 on my Xbox One.

Speaking of Xbox, did anyone else saw the behind the scenes on Xbox Video (I guess)? All the seasons premiere were also available for free.

vatstep

Ah I see. Well, is Season 1 in 720p, at least? The ones on Netflix and Amazon Prime, what resolution are they?
When it was on Netflix in the US, S4 and beyond were HD. On Amazon, though, I think it's only S7-8 for some reason.

I'm pretty sure they're all in 16x9 format (or thereabouts), at least.

Hystzen

Man I hated Logan never mind fact he just a massive dick.

Thing hated most where his lips, after rewatching ready for next week it distracting how pale the lipstick he has.

Fuck Logan and his lips

Bishop89

Let's hope that the hype will make FOX publish all seasons Bluray boxset. So I can enjoy 24 on my Xbox One.

Speaking of Xbox, did anyone else saw the behind the scenes on Xbox Video (I guess)? All the seasons premiere were also available for free.

Been waiting 4 years for them to put it on bluray....

Still have hope.

Rich!

I really hope the limited format works extremely well for them and that the change of location helps them escape some of the tropes of past seasons (moles, CTU being attacked, sub-plots in sub-plots, cougars) to return to the extremely tense heights of seasons one, two, five, and the end of eight. The Forbes article is very promising, even if I disagree with it having ended its run in a "lackluster fashion". I thought Bauer snapping, and going completely overboard in his quest for justice for personal satisfaction was among the best arcs 24 had done.

As for rankings:
1 > 5 > 2 (the Kim arc is so bad) > final eight episodes of eight > 3 (that Ryan Chappelle death scene is amazing) > 4 > 7 > 8 (first two thirds) > 6

I'm divided on the placement of two, the end of eight, and five, but the others I'm quite certain of. Really can't wait to get the Blu-Ray set and rewatch all of them (except six, never six).

Top Bottom