• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

I hope this will get fix with the upcoming service pack. There is a work around someone post but yeah for 8" and less IE need to give you option for mobile site.

tino

Banned
I hope this will get fix with the upcoming service pack. There is a work around someone post but yeah for 8" and less IE need to give you option for mobile site.

They need to let people change the UA. Its quite useless. I can only use IE9 UA on my browser if I tether on TMobile.

tino

Banned
Is it safe to use the V8P charger to charge other phones and bt headsets?

It charges the V8P really fast. And you almost can't charge the V8P with any other USB charger. I tried it with a Galaxy Tab charger and it charges like 3% per hour.

Will I blow up my phone if I use the V8P charger to charge it?

It charges the V8P really fast. And you almost can't charge the V8P with any other USB charger. I tried it with a Galaxy Tab charger and it charges like 3% per hour.

The V8P charger is a 10W charger, like big iPad (since Gen. 3). Maybe you can look for reports of people who tried to charge their iPhones with an iPad charger.

Argyle

Yes, it's safe to use to charge other devices. The max current (2A) just specifies the maximum current it can supply, so if you plug in something that will draw less, it'll just draw less.

I use all kinds of random chargers to charge the V8P. HP Touchpad chargers work great and are (or at least were) cheap...

aaaaa0

Yes, it's safe to use to charge other devices. The max current (2A) just specifies the maximum current it can supply, so if you plug in something that will draw less, it'll just draw less.

I use all kinds of random chargers to charge the V8P. HP Touchpad chargers work great and are (or at least were) cheap...

You just have to be careful, for example, an Apple-spec charger probably has the wrong resistor across the data pins, so the DV8P will only draw 5W from it, which may cause it to charge slowly, not at all, or drain the battery faster than it can charge.

I bought a pair of these USB chargers from amazon, and they're awesome. 5 ports / 40 watts.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTGETFG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Apparently the ports auto-detect what your device is expecting, so they charge at full speed with any device, regardless of if it is expecting an Apple-spec charger or an industry standard one.

How long does it take to charge the Dell Venue 8 Pro, after the battery has been completely depleted? It arrived last Tuesday and I played with it all day until the battery was dead and today I wanted to recharge it and it seems dead.

e: Nevermind, the charger was DOA. Dell really needs to step up their quality control. I've read few user reports, that the tablet just stops charging after a while and thought the port was DOA, too.

VanWinkle

You are missing the point of this tablet... Chrome has Win8 Metro mode.and it works well (especially now).

The point of it? The tablet can be whatever I want it to be, and I love it. But it's still an 8-inch tablet that should at least have an option of mobile sites in Metro IE.

That being said, where is the Chrome Metro mode? I'll check it out.

The point of it? The tablet can be whatever I want it to be, and I love it. But it's still an 8-inch tablet that should at least have an option of mobile sites in Metro IE.

That being said, where is the Chrome Metro mode? I'll check it out.

I completely agree. As nice some little features like Flash and swipe to go back are, not being able to visit the mobile versions of bigger, more complex sites on an 8" device is bonkers.

tino

Banned
So I have brought a few V8P accessories, I want to share some mini reviews for people who are interested.

- Cheap keyboard case for 7" android tablets

I got this for free but basically its this case on ebay.

It uses a micro usb cable to connect the tablet. Its bigger than a 7" tablet and actually fits the V8P to a tee.

However the main issues are 1) it takes up the charging port and 2) you can not push the case. You push it the back support will collapse. Plus its kind of thick. I have come to realize that for 1 day trip I only need the case and maybe the pen. I don't need the keyboard which takes up weight and space.

So I got this

- world map folding case from ebay

I just got it today. And I have to say I am really impressed by the quality. It's better than the past Android tablet folding case I got. The image map print quality is good. The vendor has 10+ different design for the case. It doesn't feels cheap on touch and it has magnets for both closing the lip and keeping it in the triangular folding position! Also I can slot the pen on the outside of the case.

- Speak of the pen
Basically the user experience is not good. It's not nearly as useful as a mouse and IMO its also alot less useful than the pen for the Galaxy Note. It's the newer A01 version too. I don't know if its the problem with Dell of MS since I haven't used pen on other MS machines. I guess you make do with it when you are on a bus or subway. I keep misplacing it and I fear I will lost it soon. It's fucking 35 bux from Dell.

You pretty much can just use this third party touchpad app to replace the pend.

- Using the iPad mini logitech keyboard with the V8P

All I really want is a hard keyboard like this I can use on public transportation. Yet none of the fucking OEM make one. You know what, I kind of can just use the iPad version.
The main problem is that when you put it in the keyboard slot, it sits on a almost 90 degree angle. So its too up right when you use it in Starbucks, but perfect when you are lying on the bed and use the keyboard/tablet on your stomach.

You have windows key and ctrl key, needs press 2 keys to hit "tab" and "alt". I think its good enough for what it it. I am getting a HP tablet bt keyboard to replace it because I need ctrl key on the left side.

I also got a cheap $10 bt mouse. Here is a picture of my mobile Photoshop setup. I am quite satisfy with everything so far. I have a 2 week vacation coming up. I look forward to do my photo post processing and maybe upload all on the road.

Anyone has recommendation on quality travel bt mouse besides the Logitech V470?

Really weird. The official charger it came with was DOA and during my short vacation I only had the Micro USB cable that came with my Lumia 920 and that didn't do anything. I also remember not being able to charge it with my Galaxy Nexus charger and I didn't want to try it with my iPad charger (12W, 5.2A vs 5W, 2A). So far, only the charger that came with my Qi wireless pad (5W, 1.5A) was able to bring the tablet back to life and only in conjunction with the cable it came with (I didn't try a lot of other cables).

Howdy all! I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8 for a fellow Gaffer....best decision of my life. I'm looking for a good keyboard to use with it. I want to start using this thing for writing in bed. I've been looking, but can't make up my mind. Any good suggestions?

Enzom21

Howdy all! I bought a Dell Venue Pro 8 for a fellow Gaffer....best decision of my life. I'm looking for a good keyboard to use with it. I want to start using this thing for writing in bed. I've been looking, but can't make up my mind. Any good suggestions?
This E-Thinker for the ipad mini apparently fits the Venue.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CW5IQ2U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

ihS2PH1rIdPBd.jpg

iFqlJpU9wVMn1.jpg

venne

Embedded videos won't show on either Metro or desktop IE.

I checked the advanced internet options and the boxes are checked in the multimedia options.

I'm tired of launching firefox to view videos, any suggestions?

ILoveBish

i am using the venue 8 pro now. i upgraded the bios to the newest one, upgraded the touchscreen firmware and just making sure everything works on it. overall i love it, but for most people, i would recommend a nexus or ipad. for someone like myself, its just amazing.

According to this allegedly leaked roadmap, very good.

Dell-Roadmap-1.jpg

I'm looking forward to the Bay Trail venue 11 pro 64 bit version since they'll finally upgrade to 4 GB RAM. I'm also hoping for the option of 128 GB memory and I'll be all over the Dell.

It's weird. Last November Dell released the core-i series venue 11 pro's starting at $700 with minimum 4 GB RAM and 64 GB SSD. Now several manufacturers are releasing Bay Trail options with equal RAM or less, embedded memory at 64 GBs and charging just as much or even $1000+. I thought they were trying to be competitive with Andorid products? I guess not.

By they way, a few Microsoft stores are offering the Venue 8 Pro for $99 5/17/14. I plan to be in line for one. I'm guessing it will be the 32 GB version but will definitely pay $150 for the 64 GB option if available.

Izayoi

Banned
Huge problem with the Omni 10, by the way.

I'm now on my THIRD charger from HP. I'm thinking about asking them for a full refund at this point. What a ridiculously flawed design...

Why couldn't they just do microUSB like fucking everything else? Surely that's cheaper than constantly replacing these modular chargers...

KamenSenshi

By they way, a few Microsoft stores are offering the Venue 8 Pro for $99 5/17/14. I plan to be in line for one. I'm guessing it will be the 32 GB version but will definitely pay $150 for the 64 GB option if available.

This seems to be for the new pop up Microsoft store openings, but I had a Walmart price match yesterday so that might be an option if you aren't near one.

Now that Microsoft killed the Surface Mini, the hunt for my perfect tablet continues.

8"
16:10 would be okay, but 4:3 is preferable
proper digital pen
runs a good app for sketching and taking notes, like OneNote or Paper, with pen support

There's the Asus VivoTab Note 8, but users are reporting that the Wacom digitizer is crap and has an unreasonably high failure rate.

I think at this point it's more likely that Apple releases a pen for the next iPad(s).
of course that's not happening

Raide

Kinda wondering if I should wait it out for the new T100 or the new Venue Pro stuff. I hope they do some discounts since I like both the T100 and Venue 8 pro but cannot pick which one. :D

spwolf

Finally, entry level Win8.1 tablets, as previously announced...

Prestigio MultiPad Visconte
http://www.prestigio.com/catalogue/MultiPads/MultiPad_Visconte#/product-overview?article=PMP810FWH

Prestigio MultiPad Visconte Pro
http://www.prestigio.com/catalogue/..._Pro#/product-overview?article=PMP810F3GWHPRO

pc_in_a_form_white.jpg

They have 64 bit Celeron CPUs, 10.1" 1280x800 screens, 2 GB for RAM, 16/64 GB HDD, as well as 3G version.

Manufacturer Article: PMP810EWH
Manufacturer: PRESTIGIO
Product Type: PC Tablet
Series and Family: MultiPad Visconte
External Color: Silver / White
Material: Glass/Plastic
Package Type: Retail
CPU: Intel Celeron Processor N2805
CPU Internal Clock Rate: 1.46 GHz
CPU Core Quantity: 2
GPU: Intel HD
GPU Speed: 667MHz
Display Size: 10.1" | 25.6 cm
Display Resolution: 1280x800
Display Technology: In-plane Switching (IPS)
Display Features: Capacitive multi touch screen
Internal Memory Size: 32 GB
Installed RAM Storage Capacity: 2 GB
Flash Card: Supported Micro SD/SDHC Card
Phone Technology: No
Download/Upload Speed: No
Phone Protocols: No
Phone Bands: No
Interfaces: BT, Micro USB 3.0, Mini HDMI, Wi-Fi
Interface Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
Interface Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
Interface USB: Micro USB 3.0
Interface HDMI: 1 x Mini HDMI
Interface Audio: 1 x 3.5 mm jack
Interface VGA: No
Digital Camera: Front : 1 Mpixel
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1
Battery Technology: Lithium Ion
Battery Current Capacity: 4000 mAh
Battery Video playback Time: Max 4hr
Battery Standby Time: Max 150hr
Built-in Devices: Card Reader, Microphone, Stereo Speakers
Included Accessories: Quick Start guide, Warranty Card, UK plug, EU plug
Width (mm): 258.66
Height (mm): 173.3
Depth (mm): 9.9
Nominal Weight: 0.58 kg
Warranty Products returnable: Yes
Warranty Term (month): 24
Warranty validation Criteria: Serial Number
Pack Weight Brutto (kg): 1.34
Pieces in pack: 1
Box Weight Brutto (kg): 7.5
Packs in Box: 5
EAN Code: 8595248121423

Pricing around here is 10% cheaper than every other 8" competitor (Encore), but we dont get those huge discounts Dell sometimes does in US or Germany.

plainr_

smart ppl, make sure you get the latest drivers right away.

Good advice. Did the firmware and bios update just now.

BTW, I know the stylus have been getting bad reviews but I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon anyway. It's the REV A02 version so I'm hoping it works decently.

KamenSenshi

I've had the Rev 02 stylus for about a week and I haven't run into any issues with it. I don't do any drawing, mainly writing, seems fine for that. I haven't had any of the lag issues that I had read about prior to this version and the firmware driver updates. I actually wrote this post using it just for fun.

plainr_

I've had the Rev 02 stylus for about a week and I haven't run into any issues with it. I don't do any drawing, mainly writing, seems fine for that. I haven't had any of the lag issues that I had read about prior to this version and the firmware driver updates. I actually wrote this post using it just for fun.

This is good to hear. I have sketchbook pro installed and ready.

Raide

Venue 8 Pro arrived! Setting things up now! I do like the sync of my win 8 PC so I get my Godzilla Wallpaper linked. :D

Toshiba announced the Encore 2 yesterday. Basically last years Baytrail 8" tablet, but for $199.

The base Encore 2 comes with an 8-inch, 1280 x 800 pixel display, quad-core Intel Atom processor, 1GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and support for microSD cards. Toshiba says that its battery should last 8 to 10 hours before needing to be recharged, which is right in line with an iPad or Nexus 7. For $70 more, the larger, 10-inch model comes with the same 1280 x 800 pixel resolution and internal components as the 8-inch model. Toshiba will also sell options with more RAM and internal storage for $50 to $80 more than the base prices. All of the tablets come with one year of Office 365 personal for free and support Toshiba's Wireless Display technology for mirroring the tablet's display to a larger screen.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/27/5752156/toshiba-encore-2-low-price-windows-tablet-release-date

plainr_

The Dell active stylus finally came in. Out of the box, it did not work. At first I was worried I received a dud but somehow it magically fixed itself after several restarts.

I'd say the stylus is decent at best. Not great but good enough for doodling or quick note taking. My biggest gripe is that you have to really press on the screen to register a stroke. Overall, this thing would be so much better with deeper control options. Ability to adjust pressure sensitivity would help tremendously.

KamenSenshi

Make sure to get the touchscreen driver update as well. I just use a normal amount of pressure and it works. I don't use any more effort than I do with the Surface Pro, or a regular pen/pencil.

spwolf

is this enough to be a substitute of my aging atom (single core) netbook?

I use it for a few windows programs that aren't on android and office occasionally

yes... we will have to see about RAM, but with new Windows 8.1, it supports WIM installations, so now you should have 24-25 GB free out of 32 GB, which is big improvement from first Encore with Win8 (10-12 GB extra).

I have current Encore and it is cracking tablet/PC combo... I love it. You can also find Dell VP8 for $199 ocassionally and thats great buy.

Did anyone else do WIM installation? There are instructions on Encore forums, kind of long winded but not complicated... I am getting 64 GB card in few days, and I will then try that out... it will also speed up Windows due to single file installation.

plainr_

Yay. I just finished rigging this charger/OTG usb hub for my DVP8.

Here it is:

46sbtCO.jpg

Thanks to the folks at the tabletpcreview forums for figuring this out. Now I can use my external hard drive and keyboard while charging the tablet. All in all, I spent about $10 for all the parts at my local Fry's. Took me a bit to figure out the wiring since I had to adapt the original schematic for my hub but it turned out great.

Also with this, I can now boot the recovery USB stick I created with the built in backup utility. :) Maybe now I can delete recovery partition. I really could use the extra space.

EDIT:

Make sure to get the touchscreen driver update as well. I just use a normal amount of pressure and it works. I don't use any more effort than I do with the Surface Pro, or a regular pen/pencil.

Just to make sure, you're talking about the firmware right or is there a software driver I'm not aware of? All I see is the firmware update on the Dell support site.

Top Bottom