• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

I just got a 64GB Venue 8 Pro. I can not turn this fucker on. I left home in a hurry and did not take the charger either.

Is it normal to have charge the tablet first before you can turn it on? I think I got a dub.

Yes, you need to charge it first as with most battery power products. " P

The Miix 2 is definitely not built better than the Venue 8 Pro. It had absolutely terrible speakers and a horrendous backlight that couldn't get dim enough and also bled all over the place - having a micro HDMI port could never outweigh those negatives.

The Toshiba is the one with the micro HDMI.

TaroYamada

Not checked into the thread for a while, so excuse me if these have been brought up: 1. ilomilo is $2.49, I've never played it before but remember it being an XBLA game and so I bought it, 2. Throne together is free, it's an easy casual puzzler but it's free and some of you might like it.

aaaaa0

Dell just released new firmware and a new WiFi driver for the Venue 8 Pro. Yay. Hopefully this fixes the flaky WiFi problems.

besiktas1

Sorry for the bump but ebuyer has the venue pro 8 for £240.
Is this thing still worth it? Should I buy it or is there something better out there (windows 8 tablet)?

spwolf

i checked T100 and new cheap Acer, and they both felt cheaper than Encore... their seams between plastic and glass display are right there where you put your hands, so you always feel them... T100 keyboard is great though, if they invested $1 more into plastic I would get 2.

i checked T100 and new cheap Acer, and they both felt cheaper than Encore... their seams between plastic and glass display are right there where you put your hands, so you always feel them... T100 keyboard is great though, if they invested $1 more into plastic I would get 2.

Yeah, the T100 feel really, really cheap. Now that Asus got the wifi sorted out, it's a pretty nice, I love that I can do a lot with it especially combine with small mouse.

My co-worker think it's adorable mini-laptop with the Wedge mouse.

Cheebo

Banned
I am in a market for a Windows tablet. What I have been looking at:
Lenovo Thinkpad 8
Lenovo Miix 2
Toshiba Encore 8
Asus VivoTab Note 8
Acer Iconia W4
Dell Venue 8 Pro

Which I believe are all of the main non-RT 8 inch Windows tablets on the market. Does anyone know which is best? All are within my price range. Hopefully something with solid battery life.

The Shift

Banned
Picked up an Asus VivoTab Note 8 yesterday and love this little device.

It's synced with my Surface Pro and Desktop so all my apps and Start screen configured quite nicely. I think I will relegate the Surface as another work machine now, the Asus has everything else(casual/leisure) covered. The Surface was always too heavy and bulky to read with in bed or on the lounge for me.

I'm going to test SSF later this week, hope to be playing Panzer Dragoon Saga on it - is there a touch overlay application that could mimic a Saturn pad by any chance?

Is there a way to Stream games from my PC to it - I have a i52500k+GTX 760 - are there any prereqs I should be looking for?

Request: does anyone know or the method re: use mobile GAF in Metro IE? That would be a great help.

tino

Banned
I am in a market for a Windows tablet. What I have been looking at:
Lenovo Thinkpad 8
Lenovo Miix 2
Toshiba Encore 8
Asus VivoTab Note 8
Acer Iconia W4
Dell Venue 8 Pro

Which I believe are all of the main non-RT 8 inch Windows tablets on the market. Does anyone know which is best? All are within my price range. Hopefully something with solid battery life.

Tablet 8 is the best. 1080p screen and better build quality. Works with Tablet 2 keyboard.

I had it on my shopping cart, even with cc info, but decided to not buy it. With tax and the cover, its 550 shipped. I felt its not twice as good as the others. That asking price must have $100 "Thinkpad tax" build in.

As for the rest (MiiX 2, Venue 9 Pro and whatever Toshiba) they are basically the same tablet. If you have used Netbooks before you know the low end tiers are basically the same with minimal difference.

I got a 64GB V8P for 247 shipped a few days later. If you have deal alerts set up from deals website, they have the 8" W8 tablet go on sale all the time. MS must have a reseller kickback program to push the low end 8" tablet. The 32GB goes on sale all the time.

Instead of a good keyboard I have decided to try to use it with the stylus only. I heard the new version of Dell stylus is not bad. My only purpose of getting a 8" tablet is to use Photoshop on the go. I have look into my work flow. I only really need keyboard for maybe 10% of the photos I work on. The rest of them I just do simple cropping and leveling, which can be done with a stylus. The rest of the panorama and HRD processing, I should be able to do with a stylus slowly.

I will let you know how it turn out.

spwolf

Thinkpad 8 might have best specs, but it is not the best for sure.

Cons compared to $250 devices are:
- Throttling. CPU tests only up to 5% faster than $300 cheaper devices.
- Heat
- Low battery life
- 1080p not suitable for 8" desktop.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-8-Tablet.112867.0.html

For actually picking whats the best I reccomend going to the stores and checking them out. Since you are holding these in hands, I think the feel is important part - rest of it you can get through tests like on notebookcheck site which I recommend.

p.s. rest of them are not the same tablet. There are quite variations in everything except for the CPU.

Barmaley

Neo Member
So what are the odds a new venue 8 pro come out this year. I think I should finally just shut up and btie the bullet. I keep procrastinating.

According to this allegedly leaked roadmap, very good.

Dell-Roadmap-1.jpg

The Verge reviewed the Thinkpad 8

Good Stuff

• Great display
  • Solid, premium design
  • Incredibly long "can-do" list

Bad Stuff
  • Mediocre battery life
  • Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Desktop mode is unusable on such a small screen

"Three things are true of the Lenovo ThinkPad 8. One, it’s the perfect size for a Windows 8 tablet: it’s easy to hold and use, and Windows 8’s live tiles just suit smaller screens better. Two, it’s easily the best of its kind: for $100 more than the Dell Venue Pro 8, it offers a better screen, more storage, and far superior build quality. For $50 less than the Surface 2, it’s a far better tablet and a more versatile device. If you’re buying a Windows tablet, to be used primarily as a tablet, buy this one.

The third thing: I’m not sure you should be buying a Windows tablet. If you want a device to play games, read, and watch movies, Android and iOS offer more options, better battery life, and in most cases lower prices. If you want a device for work, buy a hybrid that’s more laptop than tablet, like the Yoga 2 Pro or the Dell XPS 12. Anything else your device does — working on the iPad, playing games on the ThinkPad 8, using your laptop as a tablet — is extra. A device that does both equally well simply doesn’t exist yet. Use the right tool for the right task, not a $399 jack-of-all-trades that doesn’t do any single thing as well as its competitors. The dream of using a single device for everything is not only not yet achievable, it’s wrongheaded. My computer doesn’t have to be everything because every computer can be mine. That’s a much more exciting dream, and it’s already coming true."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5520722/lenovo-thinkpad-8-review

kharma45

Any updates to the Venue 8 Pro expected? Dell has the 32GB model for £190 at the minute which tempts me. Toshiba Encore is £200 but it felt extremely cheap when I played with it.

I'm disappointed by your experience with the Encore. I was hoping it would feel better than the Dell, but I guess it's going to be the V8P after all. Two weeks until I have to order one.

Looking again I've just realised Dell's website had redirected me to the business site as it's excl. VAT. So that's not the deal I thought it was, sorry!

Same happened to me. I was about to post that "deal" for 226 EUR, but then I saw that it didn't include VAT.

maeh2k

In Germany notebooksbilliger.de has the Venue 8 Pro for 249 Euros and at the moment they also have a code with wich you can buy the Dell for 199 Euros if you use financing (0% interest).

"Three things are true of the Lenovo ThinkPad 8. One, it’s the perfect size for a Windows 8 tablet: it’s easy to hold and use, and Windows 8’s live tiles just suit smaller screens better. Two, it’s easily the best of its kind: for $100 more than the Dell Venue Pro 8, it offers a better screen, more storage, and far superior build quality. For $50 less than the Surface 2, it’s a far better tablet and a more versatile device. If you’re buying a Windows tablet, to be used primarily as a tablet, buy this one.

The third thing: I’m not sure you should be buying a Windows tablet. If you want a device to play games, read, and watch movies, Android and iOS offer more options, better battery life, and in most cases lower prices. If you want a device for work, buy a hybrid that’s more laptop than tablet, like the Yoga 2 Pro or the Dell XPS 12. Anything else your device does — working on the iPad, playing games on the ThinkPad 8, using your laptop as a tablet — is extra. A device that does both equally well simply doesn’t exist yet. Use the right tool for the right task, not a $399 jack-of-all-trades that doesn’t do any single thing as well as its competitors. The dream of using a single device for everything is not only not yet achievable, it’s wrongheaded. My computer doesn’t have to be everything because every computer can be mine. That’s a much more exciting dream, and it’s already coming true."

Interesting take, but a HW-agnostic world is much further away than an iPad or a Surface being good enough to use in your lap. You have to be invested in someone else's ecosystem for things to seamlessly sync 1, 2, 3 and for many years to come that's going to be dependent on the HW you have and the OS. Cloud storage and web apps like Office Online is a small part of the pie. The livelihoods of businesses selling hw, operating systems, chips, etc..it's going to be very difficult and cumbersome to mix and match devices. I find it hard to believe most people can get their work done efficiently regardless if they're using OSX, a Chromebook, Windows 8 tab, or a 10 year old desktop tower. Some people's entertainment needs probably couldn't be met.

Orayn

I'm still really enjoying my T100. Kind of amazed by the fact that it can run Diablo III at ~30FPS with low enough settings.

tino

Banned
Finally got the Dell V8P and got it half way working.

How the hell do you set basic stuff like displaying battery percentage?

dLMN8R

Even my Venue 8 Pro can handle Diablo 3 at the lowest settings. Same chipset as the T100 but clocked a bit lower.

I need to turn all the settings all the way down, but it runs at a constant ~20 FPS after doing so.

tino

Banned
How do the W8.1 tablet behave when you press the power button? Does it go to hibernation? I really hate it that it stops any wifi photo transfer and photo post processing when the screen is off.

It doesn't behave like a mobile device at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So my T100 suddenly has decided it doesn't want to play any sound. Any clues?

dLMN8R

How do the W8.1 tablet behave when you press the power button? Does it go to hibernation? I really hate it that it stops any wifi photo transfer and photo post processing when the screen is off.

It doesn't behave like a mobile device at all.

It goes into Connected Standby.

Nothing on the Desktop is allowed to run when in Connected Standby, otherwise standby life would be utterly horrible compared to what it is now (which isn't great).

In Connected Standby, the only things allowed to run are modern apps that have properly registered with background task contracts. So in that case it behaves exactly like a mobile device - a mobile device that only strictly enables properly-written modern apps that take advantage of modern app design contracts to run to prevent traditional desktop apps built without any such considerations from running awry.

tino

Banned
It goes into Connected Standby.

Nothing on the Desktop is allowed to run when in Connected Standby, otherwise standby life would be utterly horrible compared to what it is now (which isn't great).

In Connected Standby, the only things allowed to run are modern apps that have properly registered with background task contracts. So in that case it behaves exactly like a mobile device - a mobile device that only strictly enables properly-written modern apps that take advantage of modern app design contracts to run to prevent traditional desktop apps built without any such considerations from running awry.

And there is no proper "mobile app" for Eye-fi written for the W8 store so I can transfer photos to the tablet when the screen is off? Man this W8 ecosystem is garbage.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just got a bt keyboard for my tablet and I like it a lot, but its a bit small. I was wondering if those little keyboard cases on amazon are at least solid quality.

spwolf

Good Stuff

• Great display
  • Solid, premium design
  • Incredibly long "can-do" list

Bad Stuff
  • Mediocre battery life
  • Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Desktop mode is unusable on such a small screen

it is really pointless to give Thinkpad 8 review to somehow who does not understand why would anyone buy Win x86 tablet.

In any case, their reviews are crap compared to notebookcheck reviews, they simply dont have enough measured info about hardware... it is like some poster here reviewing a device without any equipment... sure it looks pretty, reads well, but you never end up knowing things like throttling, real battery life, case temperatures.

I received the Venue 8 Pro yesterday and I like it so far. The resolution is average and sound could be better, but it's still good for its price. Now if only I could find a green case for it.

it is really pointless to give Thinkpad 8 review to somehow who does not understand why would anyone buy Win x86 tablet.

In any case, their reviews are crap compared to notebookcheck reviews, they simply dont have enough measured info about hardware... it is like some poster here reviewing a device without any equipment... sure it looks pretty, reads well, but you never end up knowing things like throttling, real battery life, case temperatures.

Both sites have different audiences.

I decided to say fuck it and buy a venue 8 pro since they had the tablet and the dell folio case for sale. NO MORE PROCRASTINATING. Should be delivered soon.

tino

Banned
I decided to say fuck it and buy a venue 8 pro since they had the tablet and the dell folio case for sale. NO MORE PROCRASTINATING. Should be delivered soon.

The Tablet 8 is not much better. Just get the V8P and save some money. How much you paid for the case and keyboard?

VanWinkle

I have been really enjoying my V8P the past month or so. The biggest issue is no mobile GAF. And with the full site, the browser won't open links pressed on the forum. I have to hold the link down and press "Open link in new tab". Since ~50% of my tablet use is GAF, this is very unfortunate. Also, portrait mode is pretty much a no-go with the full site. I searched for a mobile browser on the Store and there wasn't one. Wish somebody made a GAF app that was just the mobile GAF site.

Overall the thing's great though. Most of it I like much better than my iPad mini. App situation is the only thing way better on iPad, and I sometimes get frustrated by the Windows Store's lack of big apps and mostly Google apps. Build quality, despite being plastic, is very comparable (it feels extremely solid), the screen, IMO, is quite a bit better in color and clarity, UI is much better as a tablet interface, the stock apps (ie calendar, email, news, stocks, weather, etc) are cleaner and more visually pleasing, the full screen browsing experience is awesome, and it's better for one-handed use and reading (has the Kindle and Nook stores in the apps unlike iPad).

One thing I learned was that the issue wasn't 4:3 ratio vs 16:9 or 16:10. I always liked the ratio as a tablet better on my iPad than my other Android tablets I've had, and chalked it up to widescreen just not making sense for the tablet. However, the issue was how the OS was using the space. I had a 16:10 Android tablet and felt like it was just an awkward ratio, but it was really because the top notification bar AND the bottom taskbar there. With the Venue 8 Pro, there is no notification bar or taskbar, it's full screen, and it made me realize that 16:10 FULL SCREEN is the superior aspect ratio for a tablet. I seriously love it.

The Tablet 8 is not much better. Just get the V8P and save some money. How much you paid for the case and keyboard?
it was 350 after taxes and everything for all the accessories and the tablet. This is canadian of course. 50 bucks in taxes alone.

There are no canadian sales for the tablet as much as there are for americans, sucks. But way better than paying 500 for a thinkpad 8 for small improvement. Just want some shit to browse and stream on in bed. Like to use XBMC and other stuff and I need real windows to do that which is why I didn't just get a nexus or ipad. Also why I didn't go for a surface RT :/

I have been really enjoying my V8P the past month or so. The biggest issue is no mobile GAF. And with the full site, the browser won't open links pressed on the forum. I have to hold the link down and press "Open link in new tab". Since ~50% of my tablet use is GAF, this is very unfortunate. Also, portrait mode is pretty much a no-go with the full site. I searched for a mobile browser on the Store and there wasn't one. Wish somebody made a GAF app that was just the mobile GAF site.

Overall the thing's great though. Most of it I like much better than my iPad mini. App situation is the only thing way better on iPad, and I sometimes get frustrated by the Windows Store's lack of big apps and mostly Google apps. Build quality, despite being plastic, is very comparable (it feels extremely solid), the screen, IMO, is quite a bit better in color and clarity, UI is much better as a tablet interface, the stock apps (ie calendar, email, news, stocks, weather, etc) are cleaner and more visually pleasing, the full screen browsing experience is awesome, and it's better for one-handed use and reading (has the Kindle and Nook stores in the apps unlike iPad).

One thing I learned was that the issue wasn't 4:3 ratio vs 16:9 or 16:10. I always liked the ratio as a tablet better on my iPad than my other Android tablets I've had, and chalked it up to widescreen just not making sense for the tablet. However, the issue was how the OS was using the space. I had a 16:10 Android tablet and felt like it was just an awkward ratio, but it was really because the top notification bar AND the bottom taskbar there. With the Venue 8 Pro, there is no notification bar or taskbar, it's full screen, and it made me realize that 16:10 FULL SCREEN is the superior aspect ratio for a tablet. I seriously love it.
why doesn't mobile gaf work? I mean it works on my PC when I type in http://m.neogaf.com/. Putting that into the browser doesn't load it? Weaksauce.

tino

Banned
why doesn't mobile gaf work? I mean it works on my PC when I type in http://m.neogaf.com/. Putting that into the browser doesn't load it? Weaksauce.

Unless your browser has mobile user agent, mobile GAF will redirect you to regular GAF.

Whoever want mobile GAF on windows can install a user agent switcher on Chrome and user a iPad or Galaxy Tab UA.

Unless your browser has mobile user agent, mobile GAF will redirect you to regular GAF.

Whoever want mobile GAF on windows can install a user agent switcher on Chrome and user a iPad or Galaxy Tab UA.
are we talking metro though? Because if you're using a browser in the full windows part of windows 8 then mobile gaf should work fine right? Because then you can just use chrome or whatever and load it up. But yeah on metro I guess it wouldn't work.

I thought he was saying it doesn't work at all.

VanWinkle

are we talking metro though? Because if you're using a browser in the full windows part of windows 8 then mobile gaf should work fine right? Because then you can just use chrome or whatever and load it up. But yeah on metro I guess it wouldn't work.

I thought he was saying it doesn't work at all.

There may be a way to do it in full Windows, but I don't really want to load up full windows and not get a full screen browser view.

tino

Banned
There may be a way to do it in full Windows, but I don't really want to load up full windows and not get a full screen browser view.

You can use full screen with chrome (and just about any other broswer, just hit F11 or the full screen button), but the screen touching behavior is not as good as the actual metro apps. W8 is a mess.

I actually don't have a good solution to read mobile GAF on the windows tablet. I rather use my 5.5" phone.

Top Bottom