• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

zou

Let's be upfront here: Bing search + Flash support = portable fap machine.

It also means not having to pay for Hulu Plus in ordner to watch it on your tablet. With the iPad, your choice is between paying for their premium subscription or not being able to watch it all.

Who needs flash though.

kmfdmpig

... or I was before I read Thurrott's review:
... And of these four devices, the Dell comes saddled with the weakest ecosystem support"
I don't understand this point at all. Being able to run tons of real programs (with full Office included) as well as many Steam games = weakest ecosystem. I'd take Office + decades of real games over a metric ton of throwaway 99 cent apps any day (and I say that as someone with 4 Android devices and one iOS7 device at home).

dLMN8R

No, he's absolutely right. You can contort the device to run stuff it's not optimized to run well, especially if you add peripherals, but that kinda defeats the purpose of its existence as a tablet. To take advantage of the Windows ecosystem you have to sacrifice the advantages of its form factor.

For some of us nerds, that's fine! But I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a family member without those crystal clear caveats.

My own finger is hovering over the buy button for a new iPad Mini because I love my iPod Touch so much and would love to have those same apps/games in a bigger screen. And I'd immediately have access to new stuff too in the ecosystem. But at the moment I'm holding off because, other than games, the Venue 8 Pro does meet what I wanted out of a mini tablet.

kmfdmpig

So, dLMN8R.

I am looking to replace an old Notebook with a device for light Office work as well as occasional other uses. Would you recommend this or is a laptop still much better for that?

dLMN8R

So, dLMN8R.

I am looking to replace an old Notebook with a device for light Office work as well as occasional other uses. Would you recommend this or is a laptop still much better for that?

It's hard to say without knowing your preferences, but it seems like a Bay Trail-based 10/11" tablet might be better for you. I don't think I'd enjoy office work on this device.

kmfdmpig

It's hard to say without knowing your preferences, but it seems like a Bay Trail-based 10/11" tablet might be better for you. I don't think I'd enjoy office work on this device.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I may consider the Transformer or HP Omni.

Retrocide

I'm thinking about getting one of these to replace my CyanogenModded Nook HD+. How is multitasking and snapping on that size of a screen?

dLMN8R

I'm thinking about getting one of these to replace my CyanogenModded Nook HD+. How is multitasking and snapping on that size of a screen?

the side-by-side stuff works perfectly, especially with a combination of two of mail/twitter/IE/facebook

Jag

My own finger is hovering over the buy button for a new iPad Mini because I love my iPod Touch so much and would love to have those same apps/games in a bigger screen. And I'd immediately have access to new stuff too in the ecosystem. But at the moment I'm holding off because, other than games, the Venue 8 Pro does meet what I wanted out of a mini tablet.

I'm right there with you. So torn between a mini and a Venue. The ability to play older PC games is so very strong though.

So my wife is using the Venue Pro 8 and while she like IE11, the touch on the device is super sensitive and often cause the screen to magnify (it happen to me a lot also). My wife is really frustrate with it and have gone back to using her iPad despite she the fact she actually enjoy using Windows 8 (metro). Is there a setting for IE11 on how touch work?

So first 24 hours with Venue has been good.

Been playing tons of Hearthstone. Havent really loaded much else honestly. I tried Path of Exile and it runs at low settings at a decent framerate it seems but I didnt have anything to hook into for mouse/keyboard yet so didnt really do a deep dive.

The one downside is the lack of keyboard/mouse integration for some of these titles. For instance.. Hearthstone runs AMAZING.. But I can't name Decks unless I run in Window mode and use the virtual keyboard really quick which is a bit cumbersome. This is because a virtual keyboard doesnt just appear when I hit the space to name the deck.

Those are some of the biggest tablet issues that the full games have going for it. Other than that.. it works great :D

zou

So my wife is using the Venue Pro 8 and while she like IE11, the touch on the device is super sensitive and often cause the screen to magnify (it happen to me a lot also). My wife is really frustrate with it and have gone back to using her iPad despite she the fact she actually enjoy using Windows 8 (metro). Is there a setting for IE11 on how touch work?

no, had to resort to using a custom stylesheet that replaces zoom with select.

body {
-ms-touch-action: manipulation !important;
}

save as css, then open ie in desktop mode, select internet options, accessibility, format documents using my stylesheet and select your css file. If you want to disable double tap altogether I believe it's none instead of manipulation. But I've found myself actually using select quite a bit and at least it doesn't zoom in when scrolling.

Mark of the Ninja works pretty well on the ASUS T100. Need to benchmark more games, I plan on trying out

Fez
Bastion
Portal
Portal 2
Half Life
The Walking Dead
FTL
Sequence
Frozen Synapse
Limbo
Braid
Lone Survivor
Lara Croft
PoP trilogy
Hitman trilogy

And a few others. I have to say, Netflix actually looks better running natively on the 720p screen than it does stretched on my 1080p monitor.

Edit: you can also disable pinch to zoom in the Windows options. I had to tell chrome to open in desktop mode to stop it from defaulting to F11-fullscreen every 5 seconds. You can still see a bit of the legacy that made Windows 8 a frustrating platform at launch.

zou

hm, they definitely need to work on the drivers. right now the intel/realtek audio drivers prevents the device from going to connected standby and none of the solutions seem to work. only muting the volume works, which sucks.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
FYI, the Venue Pro 32gb is only 279.99 on Amazon. It's sold out but you can order now and it'll ship when available.

If the guy I just referred for a job gets hired I'll get a $450 Microsoft Store giftcard in a month or so and will definitely be considering one of these full-Win 8 tablets. They'd be great to hook up to my TV instead of my giant gaming desktop I'm currently using.

I hope Anandtech does review on a few of these guys (i think they already did a cheap Asus 10in recently). I love how insanely thorough they are.

dLMN8R

FYI, if you're interested in Miracast you can get a discount for a receiver following the link here:

blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2013/11/12/windows-8-1-on-your-big-screen-with-miracast.aspx

Calmine

interesting. This has one HDMI.

any reviews and youtube videos?

Not seen much, read some tech sites that have hands on reviews. Nicely spec'd for the price even with a 1280x800 res screen. Few videos on youtube but they're basically just hands on.

Furyous

Let's be upfront here: Bing search + Flash support = portable fap machine.

Azul allows user to download videos off xvideos in mp4 format... allegedly.

I'm interested in Steam on a tablet and look forward to reading Verge, Anandtech, and Engadget reviews of these tablets.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Azul allows user to download videos off xvideos in mp4 format... allegedly.

EZdi6J3.gif

Wow first I've read about these. Any GOG game recommendations that might be easy to adapt/play? With the current sale going on made me curious.

commish

Got my Dell Venue Pro 8 in the other day. It's fantastic. Thanks again for the recommendation, OP. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Mirk

So having the Dell for a week now I have to say its been amazing. With the tethering on my phone I now have a pc with me at all times. I have been putting this through its paces with gaming at work.
Most games I have tried have been playable. Although loading off a sd card is a pain it works. I have got NullDC running full speed on this. I haven't been able to get Dolphin running thou, I think Windows 8 is the problem. I do think at least the Gamecube should run alright based off how well the DC emu works.
Battery life has been good. For just pc work it lasts around 6-7 hours. With gaming thou around 4-5 hours.

how does it perform with video? is it able to play high bit rate video blu ray quality 36mb 1080p content? would be great if i can just hook this up to a projector and just use a small instead of a long ass cable to a ps3 or pc all the time just to play bluray content. i was thinking of getting one of those $99 wireless hdmi devices but if i can get a windows tablet for a couole hundred more my desktop could be used just when i am gaming and save me in electricity bills.

tbhysgb

Bought my wife one from staples for 267 shipped to upgrade from the Tegra 2 acer I bought her a couple years ago. She loves it so far. It really is a great piece of hardware. It has flaws, but it's worth what they're asking

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Here I was browsing Neogaf without even thinking I wanted a tablet...

Along came this thread mentioning that Hearthstone runs on a Dell Venue 8.... Holy crap I must buy a machine similar, if not the Dell itself.

Are there much better processors around the corner, or is this a good time to buy one of these devices? I haven't kept up on the intel mobile processor world in a while.

Along came this thread mentioning that Hearthstone runs on a Dell Venue 8.... Holy crap I must buy a machine similar, if not the Dell itself.

Are there much better processors around the corner, or is this a good time to buy one of these devices? I haven't kept up on the intel mobile processor world in a while.

I read today that octacore mobile processors are coming before the end of the year.
ps: what do you guys think of the tegra note?

Kibbles

I can't find anything about it online but at same club there is a $99 9" tablet called the tmax hd-g or something. Was thinking about getting it for my little brother. Anyone know anything about it? It doesn't have to be anything amazing but just run well and all, seems like a good deal and it runs jelly bean.

commish

I don't know about other processors (this Dell was just released a few weeks ago so I wouldn't think a new model is coming anytime soon), but I can see that the Venue Pro runs Hearthstone EXACTLY how you'd want it to run. I haven't tried anything else yet, outside of normal surfing etc.

Top Bottom