• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

Somnid

Well, 1080p should still look a bit nicer because the bitrate is higher.

I'm not sure about that, native encoding usually looks better than scaling. You probably don't need to worry too much about it but Baytrail should be able to do it.

dLMN8R

Dell is set to launch a Bluetooth keyboard that doubles as a cover.

That's what their site says, but in the picture they posted it looks more like a standalone keyboard. I'm not clear how they intend it to work:

P4oyoKM.png

Hopefully it is indeed a case + cover somehow?

TaroYamada

Anybody tried to run desmume on one of these and see how it fares? How about ePSX? Gonna wait for cyber monday, see if anything pops up for one of these. If it's not too much trouble, if nobody has given it a go and wouldn't mind, could you (whoever accepts) see what framerates you get on a few DS/PS1 games? Mostly interested in one for emulation purposes, netflix in bed, reading the news in the morning, plus your older windows/indie game here or there. Also, what's a good metro RSS app? On Android I use feedly, I'd like something as close to that as possible.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I need advice. I need a tablet that is independent, for my mother in law. This mean, it cannot depend on another real computer to manage it. It needs expandable memory and it has to be able to manage an ipod for under $400.

So far, the original surface is the only one that appears to work. Any recommendations?

RoadDogg

I need advice. I need a tablet that is independent, for my mother in law. This mean, it cannot depend on another real computer to manage it. It needs expandable memory and it has to be able to manage an ipod for under $400.

So far, the original surface is the only one that appears to work. Any recommendations?

When you say it needs to manage an iPod, you mean it needs to run iTunes desktop client? Just get the Asus t100. It is a full PC for less then $400 and has a USB port in the included keyboard dock as well as has a micro SD slot to expand the memory.

Also, I'm not sure which devices support it (I know most new Android ones do) but you could always get something like this to gain a full USB port:
usb-hub-otg--p.jpg

Somnid

No current tablet needs a computer to manage it though iOS still has some annoying remnants with iTunes. Surface would be the only one with a fill-sized USB port capable of managing a peripheral device though and of those only Surface Pro is capable of running iTunes. The Asus T100 is the only Win8 tablet I've seen that has a full USB port and fits your price range.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
When you say it needs to manage an iPod, you mean it needs to run iTunes desktop client? Just get the Asus t100. It is a full PC for less then $400 and has a USB port in the included keyboard dock as well as has a micro SD slot to expand the memory.

Also, I'm not sure which devices support it (I know most new Android ones do) but you could always get something like this to gain a full USB port:
usb-hub-otg--p.jpg

Doesn't have to be itunes. Any software to manage an ipod. I need to keep this real simple, operator not tech savvy.

I'm now interested to the asus t100 as it looks like I'll have to travel a bunch and I don't want to lug around my 4.5kg compaq, but I'm concerned about something: how would I go about formatting the device and reinstalling windows? I'm mostly concerned about network drivers and such, they are alwyas the most annoying part.

RoadDogg

I'm now interested to the asus t100 as it looks like I'll have to travel a bunch and I don't want to lug around my 4.5kg compaq, but I'm concerned about something: how would I go about formatting the device and reinstalling windows? I'm mostly concerned about network drivers and such, they are alwyas the most annoying part.

Are you going to put Window 8 on it again? Asus has all of their drivers posted on their support pages if so, but if not I don't see why Windows 7 wouldn't find suitable drivers on its own.

Are you going to put Window 8 on it again? Asus has all of their drivers posted on their support pages if so, but if not I don't see why Windows 7 wouldn't find suitable drivers on its own.
I would presumably put win 8 on it again, yes. Maybe some lightweight ubuntu distro if I feel creative.
Last time I formatted the compaq above (windows 7), it decided that it didn't like the ethernet port, after 2 hours of research I had to use my wii's usb network adapter (which required drivers of their own) to make that damn laptop connect to the internet.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I had to bite the bullet at $230.

Anybody know if I have to use the Dell stylus with this thing or if I can use another one?

joshschw

You know... I have owned x86 win8 tablets and they do nothing for me. I was all set to buy the Lumia 2520 tomorrow, but this is $230... I just can't justify it, especially since this thing will still work very nicely for many thing I am going to do on it.

That's crazy. $230...

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
230!!!!!!! damn

Yeah.. When a full blown Windows 8.1 device is as cheap as an android tablet; shit get real.

Looks like Amazon is getting close to running out as orders are now showing additional processing time.

Pull the trigger or wait till next time!

EDIT: and it's gone.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'd be really interested in one of these if they weren't all Windows 8. How does the performance compare to something like a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3?

What would you rather have? Windows 8.1 works surprisingly well on touchscreen devices.

It is hard to compare performance since the SGT3 uses a mobile OS (Android).
I guess you could compare the Windows Store Apps to the SGT3 apps, but that isn't the point of this tablet.

The point of this tablet is installing anything you want on it. That is where it truly stomps all over the SGT3.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
What would you rather have? Windows 8.1 works surprisingly well on touchscreen devices.

It is hard to compare performance since the SGT3 uses a mobile OS (Android).
I guess you could compare the Windows Store Apps to the SGT3 apps, but that isn't the point of this tablet.

The point of this tablet is installing anything you want on it. That is where it truly stomps all over the SGT3.

Yes, windows is the point of getting these tablets, imo. Windows 8.1 works great..

A Macbook Air with touchcreen and detachable keyboard? I don't know, I have a W7 laptop right now and I'm really sick of Windows. I'm consistently having to update stuff, deal with USB ports not working right, deal with browser crashes. It's just a mess. I want something light (OS-wise), something that just works right.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
A Macbook Air with touchcreen and detachable keyboard? I don't know, I have a W7 laptop right now and I'm really sick of Windows. I'm consistently having to update stuff, deal with USB ports not working right, deal with browser crashes. It's just a mess. I want something light (OS-wise), something that just works right.

HW (USB Port) issues have nothing to do with Windows.

Welcome to having a PC where updating software is great and provides more features sooner than having everything on yearly release cycles.

Browser crashes happen anywhere; if you think Apple is better in this regard, just use Safari.

Don't plan on gaming on anything Mac.
They still have a long way to go in that regard.

Somnid

I'd be really interested in one of these if they weren't all Windows 8. How does the performance compare to something like a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3?

Galaxy Tab is bottom of the barrel hardware (that's not trying to gun for sub $150), don't buy it. This is a step up and it's still not anywhere near the Android tablets as (or less) expensive. The only reason this is interesting is it's one of the cheapest full Win8 tablets.

kmfdmpig

$230 Dell Venue 8 Pro 32GB v. $300 Asus T100 64GB.

What do you guys say?

I'm leaning towards the Dell one now...

I've been thinking about both as well. The Dell doesn't have a real keyboard that connects (at least based on Dell's pictures it looks like just a bluetooth keyboard) and the screen is smaller. It's faster, however.

For me it comes down to this:
More storage, bigger screen, better use of Office, better ports - T100

Better display, faster processor - Venue 8

The HP Omni 10 looks interesting - much better display, in between for ports/speed.

wanders

I've been thinking about both as well. The Dell doesn't have a real keyboard that connects (at least based on Dell's pictures it looks like just a bluetooth keyboard) and the screen is smaller. It's faster, however.

For me it comes down to this:
More storage, bigger screen, better use of Office, better ports - T100

Better display, faster processor - Venue 8

The HP Omni 10 looks interesting - much better display, in between for ports/speed.

Are you certain the Dell is faster? All other reports mentioned the processor was slower than the Asus. The Omni is interesting but I think it ends there. I believe people said that the higher resolution cuts down on some gaming performance also scaling issues obviously.

kmfdmpig

Are you certain the Dell is faster? All other reports mentioned the processor was slower than the Asus. The Omni is interesting but I think it ends there. I believe people said that the higher resolution cuts down on some gaming performance also scaling issues obviously.

You're right. It's the Omni that's faster. The Dell and Asus should be very close, with the Asus likely a bit faster.

rrs

The Dell is nice at that price point and size, while ASUS having free office, slighty faster CPU, and double the storage does make it useful in some cases.

I'll be joining the tablet party soon with my ThinkPad Twist. The Omni is about $100 away from the cost of a refurb Twist I got, but the twist has a regular disk drive rather than SSD unless I install one later.

Somnid

It's the difference between the 3740 (Asus) and the 3740D (Dell). The 3740D seems to have a slightly faster GPU as well as RAM clock. The Omni has a 3370 which is faster than both.

Anti Green

Neo Member
Hi guys. These tablets are extremely interesting to me. I'm really considering buying one, because I am out of the house a lot and carrying around a macbook pro 13" is a pain and it's very heavy. I can carry around a Nexus 7 in my purse (I'm a woman) but if I want a "desktop experience" it means carrying a bigger bag. The x86 processor is a massive plus, I never liked Windows "RT" but I could definitely use the full OS.

So I really have to ask a few things. How good just are these things for day-to-day usability? I'm talking about web browsing, email, office, and youtube. I'm also a coder but I don't see myself using an 8" screen to do that. Is the screen too small to tap on in desktop mode to select different things? What's the consensus on using metro vs. desktop apps? Where is the experience really worth it?

Which one would you recommend for accessories? What kind of keyboard covers/docks have people been purchasing? Do any of them do a good job with using a stylus? I heard that different tablets have different digitizers and therefore different experiences.

And maybe the most important thing (for me) is that I want to be able to plug it into a monitor and use a BT keyboard/mouse. I heard the Dell Venue 8 only has one port, a micro USB, and you can't charge and plug in a USB device at the same time. I can imagine myself having a small dock at home (btw, are there docks out there?) with a little workstation set up.

I like the Dell Venue 8 because it's backed by a good brand and seems to be available everywhere. The lack of a dedicated HDMI port is a real killer though. I haven't been able to find any 8" windows tablets at stores to try out so I really need to ask for some first-hand experiences from different people. Thanks!

kmfdmpig

Hi guys. These tablets are extremely interesting to me. I'm really considering buying one, because I am out of the house a lot and carrying around a macbook pro 13" is a pain and it's very heavy. I can carry around a Nexus 7 in my purse (I'm a woman) but if I want a "desktop experience" it means carrying a bigger bag. The x86 processor is a massive plus, I never liked Windows "RT" but I could definitely use the full OS.

So I really have to ask a few things. How good just are these things for day-to-day usability? I'm talking about web browsing, email, office, and youtube. I'm also a coder but I don't see myself using an 8" screen to do that. Is the screen too small to tap on in desktop mode to select different things? What's the consensus on using metro vs. desktop apps? Where is the experience really worth it?

Which one would you recommend for accessories? What kind of keyboard covers/docks have people been purchasing? Do any of them do a good job with using a stylus? I heard that different tablets have different digitizers and therefore different experiences.

And maybe the most important thing (for me) is that I want to be able to plug it into a monitor and use a BT keyboard/mouse. I heard the Dell Venue 8 only has one port, a micro USB, and you can't charge and plug in a USB device at the same time. I can imagine myself having a small dock at home (btw, are there docks out there?) with a little workstation set up.

I like the Dell Venue 8 because it's backed by a good brand and seems to be available everywhere. The lack of a dedicated HDMI port is a real killer though. I haven't been able to find any 8" windows tablets at stores to try out so I really need to ask for some first-hand experiences from different people. Thanks!

Asus T100 has a keyboard, 64 GB of memory and will be $300 from Microsoft Store (already is online). It also has a mini-HDMI out. Those are the factors making me lean towards that.

Asus T100 has a keyboard, 64 GB of memory and will be $300 from Microsoft Store (already is online). It also has a mini-HDMI out. Those are the factors making me lean towards that.

It says its sold out online. Is this in store also? Or is it a Black Friday thing? Really interested in getting one for that price.

wanders

It's the difference between the 3740 (Asus) and the 3740D (Dell). The 3740D seems to have a slightly faster GPU as well as RAM clock. The Omni has a 3370 which is faster than both.

Of the two (3740 vs 3740D) which would have better performance? Does dual-channel ram over faster ram mean better performance?

Somnid

Of the two (3740 vs 3740D) which would have better performance? Does dual-channel ram over faster ram mean better performance?

Difficult to say on a technical level, it depends on a lot of things and without a solid benchmark of both I don't think you can say. Either way RAM performance isn't paramount to most tasks, I'd be highly surprised if there was any subjective difference. The GPU I feel is the more important factor here.

border

Just as a heads up, the Dell Venue Pro 8" is already $230 at Wal-Mart. Not sure if they are doing anything with it on Black Friday, but that's $70 off the regular price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Venu...7853936682098&veh=aff&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY

Technical Specifications:
1.8GHz Intel Atom Z3740D processor
2GB DDR3L of system memory
8.0" touchscreen, 1280 x 800 resolution
Built-in 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth v4.0

Software and Applications:
Windows 8.1 32-bit OS
Cyberlink Media Suite Essentials
MS Office Home & Student 2013
Media Formats: Popular media format

wanders

Difficult to say on a technical level, it depends on a lot of things and without a solid benchmark of both I don't think you can say. Either way RAM performance isn't paramount to most tasks, I'd be highly surprised if there was any subjective difference. The GPU I feel is the more important factor here.

Thanks Somnid, that was helpful! I think having a dedicated keyboard will be important for me. Now I will wait until the T100 goes on sale again...

Pimpwerx

I was going to get an Asus T100TA this Friday, however the HP Omni sounds like it's a better product. It's $399 right now. I like the idea of having better performance and a FullHD screen. If it goes down to $350 or less this week, I'm buying it. I like that the Asus comes with the kb already, but I can't find any information about using a stylus with it, and that's pretty important to me. I assume the HP will be able to use a stylus just fine. A random assumption, but one I'm going to make anyway. I can't do the 8" or smaller tabs, because I want to do a lot of productivity work on this tab. PEACE.

Top Bottom