• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Years of Gameboy - The greatest handheld

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Time to talk about your Gameboy memories. I fired mine up the other day for some Tetris. Green tint and all.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/game-boy-35-year-anniversary-retrospective/Thirty-five years ago, Nintendo released a gaming handheld that would change the gaming landscape forever. The Game Boy might seem archaic now with its lack of a backlit screen and minimal button placement, but it resonated with a lot of people, sold over 118 million units, and inspired a generation of video game hardware and software creators. It’s even a piece of hardware that modern companies like Panic reference when creating a modern gaming handheld like the Playdate.Playdate project lead Greg Maletic revealed to Digital Trends that Panic originally wanted the Playdate to emulate the look and feel of Nintendo’s Game & Watch handhelds, which pre-dated the Game Boy. Panic even used SHARP Memory LCD to replicate the look of Game & Watch, but it found that “attempts at making games in this style were disappointing.” In this moment that would determine the future of the Playdate as a handheld, Panic looked to the Game Boy.
“The success of the Game Boy gave us confidence that it was possible to create beautiful games in monochrome, allowing us to keep the Sharp display we’d already chosen,” Maletic tells Digital Trends when asked for the company’s reflections on the Game Boy ahead of today’s anniversary. “We also adopted the Game Boy’s control layout, ultimately deciding on its B-A button order rather than the A-B setup that initially seemed more natural to us. Nintendo’s reasoning that the primary button should be under the right thumb — and named ‘A’ — made sense.”

Design decisions made by Nintendo in the 1980s are still impacting video games and the platforms that support them in the 2020s. Speaking to creators inspired by the Game Boy, reverence for the iconic retro handheld remains strong and continues to shape the gaming hardware we use today.

Stimulating the mind​

Even now, the Game Boy’s sleek design still feels iconic, from its distinct rectangular shape to its minimal buttons. It has some defining shortcomings too, like the lack of a backlit screen. Even with those flaws, the handheld’s distinct look, low price, and strong game library made it stand out compared to its peers in 1989.

Retro aesthetics are a great tool for stimulating the player’s imagination.
It left a lasting impact on developers like Christophe Galati, who would go on to make the Game Boy-inspired platformer Save me Mr Tako after being influenced by games his brother, a collector, picked up.

“I was able to play a lot of Nintendo and Japanese games that were not from my generation, including the original Game Boy,” Galati tells Digital Trends. “I started to make games when I was 12 as a way to survive and escape my traumas. I believe that games saved me, so that’s why I hope I can return the favor by helping people with my games.”

Ten years ago, on the 25th anniversary of the Game Boy, Galati ate takoyaki and got the idea of making a Game Boy-inspired platformer starring an octopus. The result is Save me Mr Tako, a game about a pacifist octopus trying to stop a war between humans and octopi. It plays out as a 2D platformer reminiscent of Game Boy games like Kirby’s Dream Land, although it expands the game’s color palette far beyond what the original Game Boy’s green-hued screen could offer (although it does pay tribute to that).

A screenshot from Save me Mr Tako.
Deneos Games
Initially released in 2018 before getting a touched-up Definitive Edition in 2021, Save me Mr Tako stands as one of the defining games paying tribute to the Game Boy. “I was really inspired by titles like The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Survival Kids, and Kirby’s Dream Land. You’ll see a lot of references in the game. I believe retro aesthetics are a great tool for stimulating the player’s imagination,” Galati said.

It’s inevitable that art will eventually inspire other art, but it’s not just the Game Boy games that have a lasting influence. The actual hardware has had an even stronger impact. In the thick of the 2020s, some companies still don’t want to leave the Game Boy’s original design behind. A market has popped up for handhelds that look and feel like the Game Boy and can play original Game Boy games. The Analogue Pocket and Miyoo Mini are some notable examples of this.

The former modernizes the Game Boy’s design and supports cartridges from a wide variety of gaming handhelds; the latter is an emulator that apes the Game Boy’s look. Others are going a step further and creating systems that can also serve as their own platforms. The Playdate is one already-released example, while the Chromatic is an upcoming handheld from ModRetro that more blatantly wears its Game Boy inspiration on its sleeve with its rectangular design.

Key art describing the Chromatic.
ModRetro
The Chromatic is the latest piece of hardware from ModRetro. According to ModRetro CEO and co-founder Torin Herndon, the idea to “build the ultimate tribute to the Game Boy” came from Palmer Luckey, a controversial video game industry figure who also played a part in the creation of the Oculus Rift. It can play Game Boy and Game Boy Color cartridges using field programmable gate array-based emulation and supports games made specifically for the Chromatic. That includes a new version of Tetris and the eerie dungeon-crawler Traumatarium Penitent.

Herndon tells Digital Trends that ModRetro wants to take what they considered the best parts of the handheld, like its changeable cartridges and simple control layout, while improving on shortcomings like its lack of color. He explained that ModRetro “craved seeing the original art exactly as it was intended,” so it went out of its way to create a custom 160 by 144 pixel display for Chromatic.

That custom-made display is something that Herndon says “nobody in their right mind would tackle when digital upscaling is accepted, and one can simply buy any display off the shelf.” However, ModRetro felt passionate enough about the Game Boy to the point that it created “the only newly manufactured 160 by 144 color backlit IPS display in existence,” not just to recapture the feeling of the Game Boy but to build upon it.

An undeniable impact​

For a fairly rudimentary device, the Game Boy is one of the most formative pieces of gaming hardware out there. Its excellent games, including Kirby’s Dream Land, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, and Tetris, would go on to inspire countless titles that came after them and remain playable today through services like Nintendo Switch Online. On the hardware front, it exposed well over 150 million people to the charm of playing games on the go.

An original box for the Game Boy
Digital Trends
More players than ever experience games that way, whether it’s on a dedicated gaming platform like the Nintendo Switch, a portable PC like the Steam Deck, or an iPhone. For the people who stuck around the gaming industry, the Game Boy’s influence mattered tenfold, even to those like Galati who were exposed to its library years after the fact.

It’s because of the Game Boy that Galati eventually felt inspired to create Save me Mr Tako and is now working on a Game Boy Advance-inspired sequel Tako no Himitsu: Ocean of Secrets. Herndon got into Stanford by writing an essay on escapism in classic games and leveraged that degree to work at Oculus VR and now ModRetro. Playdate and its charming crank saw the light of day because of the Game Boy’s dim but guiding light.

Our formative gaming memories follow us for the rest of our lives, and for many developers, the Game Boy has a permanent spot in their minds. Nintendo’s experimental handheld still literally shapes the hardware we can play games on and the look and feel of what we can play on them. The Game Boy stimulated the imaginations of countless people, and 35 years after its North American release, we are still seeing the fruits of that now.

Nydius

My original 1989 Game Boy Tetris cartridge is the oldest physical game I still own. Lots of memories of playing Super Mario Land and the first couple Mega Man games while in the car heading up to visit my grandparents. When I wasn’t playing the Game Boy, my mom usually stole it to play Tetris and Dr Mario.

Remember all the magnifier and light addons, and the big battery pack that made the whole thing a lot less portable? 🤣

Also obligatory:
dmerkyH.jpeg

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Not really. Those of us old enough to have played that as a kid in its heyday are now around the recommended ages for colorectal cancer screenings. 🤷

That's for other lifestyles.Why don't they put those ads... and there are people watching television every day?

gamer82

i still have one with a litte screen mod and few games i picked up. They should release one of these with a few games pre loaded , it would print money :)

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I still have my original, from the first big holiday it was available in the US.

It's modded now with a backlight + inverter, showing off those original pixels in even more glory.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s funny to think that I spent many hours playing these blurry games in a chair under a lamp.

About ten years ago, I decided to play some of these games again. Fired up Metroid II on a Game Boy and it was almost unplayable. The motion blur is insane. I ended up just using a Super Game Boy on my SNES.
Same. I couldn’t believe the blur. I tried to convince myself that it must be the LCD aging.

It took a long time for other versions of Tetris to persuade me that the GB version wasn’t - and wasn’t going to be forever - the best version of the game. I probably spent more time on that single game than on all other NES and GB games I had, combined.

The GB also made the greatest comeback of any system, ever. It was dead and forgotten, then Pokemon came and boom, the thing got a bona fide resurgence and even a beefy hardware upgrade with the GB Color. I could barely believe it, going back to that grey brick after enjoying Banjo and FF7/8 on my TV.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It’s funny to think that I spent many hours playing these blurry games in a chair under a lamp.

About ten years ago, I decided to play some of these games again. Fired up Metroid II on a Game Boy and it was almost unplayable. The motion blur is insane. I ended up just using a Super Game Boy on my SNES.
Still plays great next to a bright sunlit window or lamp, but first you have to master the jedi art of perfectly tuning the contrast wheel to the right 1-micron position for each game or even level.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I shared my sister’s Gameboy until I got my own Gameboy Pocket which was a BIG upgrade. Fond memories of playing Kirby’s Block Ball, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy Adventure/Legend 1-3, etc.

Also had a blast with the camera + printer making stickers for everyone.

I remember Funcoland offering like 25 cents for Tetris trade-in too lol

BlackTron

The Game Boy is such a monolith of gaming and saved my life as a kid. My first titles were Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle and TMNT. Yes my mom also hogged it for Tetris lol. Link's Awakening is probably a game that ensured I wouldn't move on from gaming.

I re-collected all my old carts and still play them occasionally using a GBA SP as unfortunately my original gray GB was traded in at Funcoland long ago. What makes using an older one so attractive and even worth modding with a light is the hand feel and buttons.

BlackTron

… but the absolute GOAT was Zelda - incredible game and more fun than the current ones.

I used to think newer tech would mean we get similar style of gameplay with better graphics/immersion/controls/mechanics. Which is really exactly what happened with Ocarina of Time but then they just stopped. The WiiU Zelda demo still haunts me.

The Link's Awakening remake was like an antidote for the fatigue I felt from BOTW

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
… but the absolute GOAT was Zelda - incredible game and more fun than the current ones.
Link’s Awakening is in my Top 5 ever. I will never forget the summer of 1993 I spent on that game. To this day I prefer the monochrome version to the DX color version, and I hate that Nintendo pretends it never existed when they make LADX available via official emulation. Also a shame that practically all the fan mods are for the DX version.

Around 2020 i played the GB game "Kaeru no tame ni Kane wa Naru" for the first time.
It's an action/adventure title by Intelligent Systems, directed by Toru Osawa who was one of the directors on Ocarina of Time, and supposedly using the same engine that was used for Link's Awakening.

Despite the game being something like 38 years old when i played it, and having zero knowledge or nostalgia for it, it ended up being the best game i personally played that year. Just fantastic and up there with link's awakening IMO.

For anyone interested, there is a translation patch available at the usual places.

3aQ9lol.png

Last edited:

Sojiro

I don't recall exactly what year I got a game boy, but initially all I had was Tetris (which was the first game I could ever get my mom to play). I used to get a lot of games second hand at pawn shops and the two games I absolutely adored that I owned were Link's Awakening and Killer Instinct. Yeah I said Killer Instinct lol, and yes I had played both the arcade and SNES versions beforehand. I am sure now it would be hard as hell to go back to it, but I remember really digging it when I was younger and it worked surprisingly well despite only having two buttons. It sure made doing combos easier so it was cool to be able to pull off higher string combos.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Got my first one in 1995, the clear ‘play it loud’ version. I’d spend hours on the edge of the sofa under a lamp playing Links Awakening, Kirby’s Dream Land 2, Pokémon, Super Mario Land, etc.. A lot of great games, but to me, this is the crowning jewel on the system:

gb_donkeykong.jpg

Hudo

I had a GameBoy Color back in my early school days. Played Pokemon Blue (and Silver) on it like it was a religion.

Good times.

cireza

Gold Member
Handhelds had better games when they were specifically tailored for the handheld screen/experience. Of course, this was the case for the original Game Boy.

_Ex_

I got one in 1989 when I was 10. At the time it was a revelatory experience for portable gaming. Although back then even with young eyes, I used one of those magnifier+light clip on devices* to see the screen better. Over the decades since I have beaten a large amount of GB games. Lots of stuff that was officially released in the west, and many Japanese games made into English via fan translation patches. But if I had to pick one absolute best most favorite GB game, it would be Gargoyle's Quest. Still a phenomenal experience to this day. And yes, I still play GB every year. The library is immense, there's always more new-to-me stuff to play.

image.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Around 2020 i played the GB game "Kaeru no tame ni Kane wa Naru" for the first time.
It's an action/adventure title by Intelligent Systems, directed by Toru Osawa who was one of the directors on Ocarina of Time, and supposedly using the same engine that was used for Link's Awakening.

Despite the game being something like 38 years old when i played it, and having zero knowledge or nostalgia for it, it ended up being the best game i personally played that year. Just fantastic and up there with link's awakening IMO.
Same! Link’s Awakening is definitely the superior game, but Kaeru etc. is really good. Its exceedingly simple battle system - you have higher attack power than your enemy, you win; lower, you lose - is a winner, and the game is full of charm. It’s outrageous that this one was never officially translated.

Rival

Gold Member
I was 10 when it released and got one with Tetris and Super Mario Land for my birthday that Summer

Pretty short lived as I ended up getting a Game Gear about two years later :messenger_sunglasses:
Exact same for me. Game Gear felt like I was living in the damn future but man that thing ate batteries. My parents were pretty quick to buy me the AC and Car adapters when they saw how often I was asking for more batteries.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Exact same for me. Game Gear felt like I was living in the damn future but man that thing ate batteries. My parents were pretty quick to buy me the AC and Car adapters when they saw how often I was asking for more batteries.

Wow you're like alt dimension me. My parents did the exact same thing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bond007

Still own my original.
Got it with Tetris and played the living daylights out of it through the GBA era. I even played most of Pokemon Red on it- though getting through caves was impossible without borrowing my friend's GB Color lol.
Great memories.

Home Alone was a bitch lol

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good handheld indeed. Though if I were to replay the games I'd definitely do it on the analogue pocket with its GB(C) filters and the superior motion clarity.

Analogue-Tetris.png
Was going to say this. I got one a while back, and I've been having a blast with it. Great little handheld and makes these old games feel new again.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Tetris
Super Mario Land
Wario Land
TMNT
Skate or Die
Links Awakening

Theres are my favs. Im a big fan of the green and black tint.

StereoVsn

Man I couldn’t stand that screen. Basically till DS didn’t like any Nintendo handhelds since even GBA wasn’t backlit and the SP was way too small.

I do like GBA library now, but when playing the games on much nicer hardware.

Last edited:

wondermega

It was a wild time in gaming when the GB showed up. We were just on the precipice of 16-bit consoles at the exact same time; it felt fairly futuristic to get games like Altered Beast, Ghouls n Ghosts, and R-Type (looking pretty perfect on the Turbografx-16) running on a TV in your home, and also to have basically a somewhat stripped-down 8bit NES that you could basically take with you anywhere in the world at the same time! It was quite a magical moment (warts and all).

I actually got an Atari Lynx at the time, which seemed like another crazy vector for all of this stuff to go on. It was reasonably priced (for what it was) and between the backlight & color it really shoved Gameboy's face in the dirt. Well, nearly. As everyone knows, even from the start Gameboy just had this lightning lineup of games and it just kept going from there. They all presented much weaker than the Lynx, but the games were just what you wanted; the GB library nearly immediately got so much more filled out with lots of popular IP (and developers) of the day, whereas the Lynx felt a lot more niche in those regards (for better or worse). In any event the differences were worth celebrating, I am glad the Lynx wasn't just a different version of the Game Gear (this would be so much less memorable today).

Hunnybun

The first console I ever owned, if it qualifies as a console?

Only played on Spectrum and Amiga until then, which were both my brother's.

I liked it, but cos I was about 8 or whatever I only got a couple of games a year, so never really got to play that much on it.

Mario Land was the best game I played on it. I liked Duck Tales, too. Mario Land 2 was a bit disappointing, personally - I never really got into it the same way.

A friend had Contra which I fucking loved, and also - weirdly - an imported version of Final Fantasy (from Sweden of all places - it never released in the UK), which really captured my imagination.

Good times, but I preferred consoles from like the mid 90s on, once I started earning bits of cash here and there and could actually afford the games I wanted.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

We worked with what we had. I had a similar experience with my Game Gear awhile back, I could barely make out what was happening when I got up to speed in Sonic Choas. Lcd's just weren't there yet and it makes me appreciate my retro handhelds that I own, even more.

Top Bottom