• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Audio on Headphones - anyone else rarely hear the "3D"?

calistan

Can’t create 3d or surround sound with 2 speakers. Headphones that say otherwise are a gimmick.
That's not entirely correct - you only have two ears, so you should be able to create spatial audio with two speakers clamped directly over them.

But there's a shitload of processing to be done for the head-related transfer function that determines how your ears receive directional sound, and it may be that each individual person needs a detailed scan of head and ear shape for it to work perfectly. So perhaps the gimmick part is correct at the moment.

King Dazzar

I always hear surround well on PS5, but only usually on a horizontal surround field. I just usually make sure the in game is set to 5.1/7.1 and its great. For me I find Sony's 3D audio gives me better surround object placement than either Dolby or Sonic alternatives. I think I started getting some occasional vertical placement with Spiderman 2, but in general - horizontal 360 great, vertical rarely.

My dedicated 5.1 speakers are still my preferred way of doing audio though.

Soodanim

Most games are not designed for 3D audio even if they "support it". Its just an afterthought. Actually most games have poor non-3d audio quality. Crazy that big AAA games just ignore one of the most important aspects but then again, kids these days with the attention span of a dog only care about colors on the screen so yeah. I remember when I first tried AC Valhalla every single voice sounded muffled, no matter what I tried. Audiophiles are rare these days.
It does make me laugh when you see someone with a 4K LG C series but they're using built in speakers. It's like saying "I want an A-tier picture, but D tier sound please.

Even a £200 speaker pair is a huge upgrade to pair with your £1000 TV. All those 4K movies also have good sound, too (usually).

King Dazzar

It does make me laugh when you see someone with a 4K LG C series but they're using built in speakers. It's like saying "I want an A-tier picture, but D tier sound please.

Even a £200 speaker pair is a huge upgrade to pair with your £1000 TV. All those 4K movies also have good sound, too (usually).
A mate of mine is the other extreme. He must have spent £8k+ on home cinema audio. Yet refuses to go bigger than 42" screen size. And whilst he is considering upgrading his TV, he's refusing to spend more than a grand and it must be 42" maximum size. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

UnrealEck

With a pair of HD800S and you can definitely pinpoint where a sound is coming from including distance.
That's without 3D audio filters.

Any decent headphones are fine, I find open backed to be best for positional audio.

That's not entirely correct - you only have two ears, so you should be able to create spatial audio with two speakers clamped directly over them.

But there's a shitload of processing to be done for the head-related transfer function that determines how your ears receive directional sound, and it may be that each individual person needs a detailed scan of head and ear shape for it to work perfectly. So perhaps the gimmick part is correct at the moment.

Pretty much the correct assessment. As a JVC Exofield owner, it works in the way you describe. You have to calibrate it to get a correct reading on your ear shape for it to work its magic. It does this by firing audio out in the headphones and using microphones within the earpiece to read and tailor the audio, gives a pretty convincing 7.1.4 effect for Atmos/DTS X content when calibrated right (took a few tries). The scene near the beginning of SISU when he's digging up gold and a fleet of German planes fly over was pretty mind blowing to hear the plane audio coming from above. It costs a pretty penny tho so is a really niche product.

TrebleShot

The bigger issue is the games implementation of audio.

Basically most games are designed for dumb stereo even those advertised with 3d audio usually are only replicating surround sound in headphones.

RT audio is relatively new but replicates the reflections of sound waves like it would light. Returnal uses RT audio hence it's high rep. It's expensive and isn't widely adopted.

Most games are not designed for 3D audio even if they "support it". Its just an afterthought. Actually most games have poor non-3d audio quality. Crazy that big AAA games just ignore one of the most important aspects but then again, kids these days with the attention span of a dog only care about colors on the screen so yeah. I remember when I first tried AC Valhalla every single voice sounded muffled, no matter what I tried. Audiophiles are rare these days.
Every game has good surround these days but as most headphones are simulated or virtual surround it's heavily dependent on the implementation by the manufacturer. Listen through a good avr with proper 5.1 or higher setups speakers and you will be amazed how good game sound is.

King Dazzar

The bigger issue is the games implementation of audio.

Basically most games are designed for dumb stereo even those advertised with 3d audio usually are only replicating surround sound in headphones.

RT audio is relatively new but replicates the reflections of sound waves like it would light. Returnal uses RT audio hence it's high rep. It's expensive and isn't widely adopted.
Nah, most games have very good 5.1 as a minimum and have done for years. And when I use the 3D PS audio with headphones, I usually (not always) select like I would for an AVR to get great full surround.

Top Bottom