• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS owners, what are you currently playing?

Chitown B

Just played for almost 2 hours straight at OOT: I went through the infamous Water Temple from start to finish in a single sit. honestly...really? I thought it was much "worse" judging from all the fuss I heard about it.

I'm loving this game btw. I'll get TP and SS asap(I'll skip WW until I get a Wii U).
And of course I have to restart Zelda Starfox someday, which, despite being one of my favourite games, I've never finished for some reason.

The remastered Water Temple is much more visually easy to get around than the original. Plus factor in almost 20 years of game development advances.

If you're looking for hidden underrated games, look at Epic Mickey, if you can find it for cheap, and Castlevania.

I actually saw Epic Mickey in a bargain bin for $10 during Black Friday, but I figured I didn't need another platformer right now. I tried the Castlevania demo and wasn't keen on it, but I've read good things. Thanks for the recs!

And if you want a twin stick shooter, I heard that Nano Assault Ex is pretty good (and supports CCP) albeit short. I need to get it someday, but first I should get a CCP for cheap
edit:ah ok, you don't want a twin stick shooter lol

I'm fine with twin stick shooters, and I've been eyeing Nano Assault for a while, but CCP is not an option as I'm on a 2DS. Using ABXY isn't nearly as satisfying.

Finishing LttP so I can play LbW

Those two back to back would be a bit much, imo.

VLiberty

Another thread bites the community dust...

By the way I just finished Zelda. It's my most played 3DS game ever with almost 10 hours over the second most played.
I've unlocked the Master Quest I think I've had enough for now :lol

I actually saw Epic Mickey in a bargain bin for $10 during Black Friday, but I figured I didn't need another platformer right now. I tried the Castlevania demo and wasn't keen on it, but I've read good things. Thanks for the recs!

I'm fine with twin stick shooters, and I've been eyeing Nano Assault for a while, but CCP is not an option as I'm on a 2DS. Using ABXY isn't nearly as satisfying.

Those two back to back would be a bit much, imo.
You're welcome! :D

Concentration Training

I'd call it the most punishing "game" in the 3DS library. I haven't played it in a year, and my scores have plummeted across the board, including the supplemental training games.

For those that have never played it or heard of it, it's Brain Age on steroids. It really exercises your memory and concentration, to the point where you have to develop memorization tricks to advance, and such a system has real world applications.

Upon purchasing the Vita, I purchased "Smart As..." to play something refreshing but equally challenging. Let me tell you, that title is a joke and isn't even in the same league. There isn't a title out there comparable to Concentration Training.

If you don't own this already, download it.

Concentration Training

I'd call it the most punishing "game" in the 3DS library. I haven't played it in a year, and my scores have plummeted across the board, including the supplemental training games.

For those that have never played it or heard of it, it's Brain Age on steroids. It really exercises your memory and concentration, to the point where you have to develop memorization tricks to advance, and such a system has real world applications.

Upon purchasing the Vita, I purchased "Smart As..." to play something refreshing but equally challenging. Let me tell you, that title is a joke and isn't even in the same league. There isn't a title out there comparable to Concentration Training.

If you don't own this already, download it.

Would love too..... but they want us to stay dumb in Europe :(

Choomp

Banned
Really anything right now. Trying to get through Fire Emblem, still enjoying some New Leaf and Tomodachi Life, and trying to get into SteamWorld Dig and Disney Magical World. Lots of stuff to play still.

deadfolk

Trying to decide between picking up Rune Factory 4 (€30) or SMT IV (€20).

I'm going on a short trip tomorrow, so I'm debating one or the other to play on the journey.

RF4 is more expensive, but I'm currently at the tail-end (hopefully) of my first P4G playthough, which may be too similar right now.

First world problems, etc.

Or I could just work on the massive backlog.

Trying to finish Kirby Triple so I can trade it in but kinda want to keep it after. I probably won't keep it lol.

After finishing Triple Deluxe, I tried completing the post-game modes (
Dedede Tour and Arena
) but it felt too much like the regular game. I sold it on eBay and got back the original value I paid for the game. My first and only playthrough was fun as hell, though.

Juggling quite a few things. But things I'm really trying on:
-Pokémon. Slowing down on these as I'm getting burnt out. OR is nearly done, a few more legendaries then I can think a casual playthrough is due. Still sorting out boxes in Y (breeding them down to essentials and still having no space). Turns out my second 3DS has a dirty card slot or something so now my Y and ORAS cards are dirty on the front...
-Bravely Default. More like village builder. I think I have nearly completed that part and considering I only have 3 jobs in the main story maybe I went a bit overboard. Having 30 villagers to start with (20 from demo, 10 from Streetpass) and a few overnight sessions played their part too.
-FF: Theatrhythm CC. I got some DLC for this one (why can't there be a basket system here, one at a time is so tiring, especially when the eShop kept losing connection).
-Picross e. It is Picross alright, I can't help but think I should have skipped some of the earlier entries. Never mind...
-Fairune. Nearly finished here. Resisted the temptation to look at a guide so got stuck a few times.

Sora_N

After finishing Triple Deluxe, I tried completing the post-game modes (
Dedede Tour and Arena
) but it felt too much like the regular game. I sold it on eBay and got back the original value I paid for the game. My first and only playthrough was fun as hell, though.

I feel the EXACT opposite and same at the same time. The game was mostly ok to me, the Hypernova parts were the most interesting when you had to do some puzzle solving.

The
DDD Tour
is more fun to me, but I agree it felt soooo samey and you basically do the same crap again so I stopped until I actually want to replay it.

In the last month I got:
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Seriously wish these had an "adventure mode" like a seperate save where you can replay the main adventure but not transfer pokemon and what not. Currently at victory road and slowly churning away at it since it dropped.

Theatrhythm Curtain Call Been wanting this for a while and finally got it. Loving playing a few songs and getting some fun gameplay/nostalgia from songs.

Azure Striker Gunvolt just bought this an hour ago, looked great!

Attack of the Friday Monsters had money left over from Azure and had to decide between this and Crimson Shroud. Wanted something a bit more heartwarming than the serious/dark games I usually have to surround myself with.

Bravely Default Digging the game, some of the side dialogue is a bit long but I'm enjoying it. Anges voice actor is hammy as fuck though, she needs to tone it down. Stopped at the water crystal, need to jump back in sometime.

All on top of Samurai Warriors, Kid Icarus, Legend of Zelda, Project X Zone, Senran Kagura, and Liberation Maiden. All of which I have not beaten and am at the start/some point in them lol. Going mostly digital seriously made me forget how many games I actually have haha.

Oh and add Chrono Trigger cause I'm buying a copy and finally checking it off my RPG list.

kiguel182

Just bought a 2DS for what were, basically 25 euros. It's not as good as getting it for Christmas but it's the closest I can get. So I just joined 3DSGAF!

It came with New Super Mario Bros 2. It's an okay game so far but it feels way too much like the predecessors and I'm not sure about this coin mechanic.

Attack of the Friday Monsters, Liberation Maiden, and Fairune.

AOTFM is a cute little adventure game, almost point & click like. It's relaxing to explore the town, talk to characters, and uncover the story at a slow pace. It's nothing mind blowing, but it's enjoyable and cute.

Liberation Maiden took me by surprise. It's a blast, reminds me a ton of Kid Icarus Uprising, which is one of my favorites on the 3DS. It's fast, stylish, and just cool. It can be challenging too, I like it a lot. Especially playing it in sync with AotFM, the two just pair well due to their stark differences in pace.

Finally, Fairune also took me by surprise. It's nothing ground breaking, but it's a very fun adventure game in vein of the classic Zeldas. You have a map to explore and are given items that you have to figure out what to do with. Combat is as basic as can be, but fun as you progress through the game. It's charming and fun, and I'm actually a bit stumped as what to do right now. I'd recommend it to any Zelda fan. Plus, it's only like $2 right now. A steal.

Overall, the Level-5 sale really took me by surprise with how great these games are. Fairune as well which is unrelated to the other two, but just a cheap, fun game. I'd highly recommend picking up at least one or two of these games. There's so much variety in the collection, you're bound to find something you like.

Chitown B

Oh and add Chrono Trigger cause I'm buying a copy and finally checking it off my RPG list.

Always great to hear when someone new plays CT. It makes me sad though for every person who didn't get to play it at launch on the SNES in 1995. That was the best time to play it, when it was visually amazing as well.

THAT MUSIC.

mp1990

Banned
Playing Ace Attorney Trilogy,i'm seriously in love with the first game.Thinking of picking up the 3ds version when i finish the trilogy,there are any PW DS games that worth it ?

yayaba

(thread resurrection)

Wife and I are co-op'ing Fantasy Life as much as we can. She's 41 hours into it, I'm 31 hours.

So far we're expert at one life, adept at a handful of others, apprentice one or two, and haven't started about 3 lives. Midway through the story chapters and we have a lot of gaming left to do. Haven't even reached anywhere near DLC yet.

I stopped Luigi's Mansion 2 a couple weeks ago for Hearthstone and Fantasy Life. Loved the game from what I played though - the production values are off the charts.

I agree with the Kirby: Triple Deluxe sentiments. I played through the story one time, enjoyed it, but after I was done I couldn't have been bothered to play any other modes.

I also have Smash and FF: CC sitting on my shelf tempting me to open the shrink wrap...

After neglecting my 3DS/2DS for such a long time because of my Vita, I'm ignoring my Vita because of Devil Survivor Overclocked and SMT IV. God damn good games.

Deep into Shovel Knight, like 4 hours deep. Fun as fuck, though I hate dying and seeing my money floating there.

I also completed Spirit Camera a couple days ago. What a dumb game. Spent most of the time looking around for Maya in AR.

Dez_

Been digging into Bravely Default lately. I'm enjoying the game a lot. Currently on chapter 3 at the moment and trying to get through some sidequests and level different job levels. Definitely a fan of the game's soundtrack as well.

Bit of a bump, but seriously thinking of getting a DS/3DS (old style) after falling in love with Pokémon against thanks to Zeta/Omnicron.

So, I have a decade to catch up on. I've only ever played Pokémon Yellow, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and a bit of Mario Kart from the Gameboy Color / Advance days - never touched Zelda, Starfox, Kirby, Smash, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, 3D Mario or Final Fantasy.

Where do I start?

Joei

Been playing Super Mario 3D Land, and man, the game is awesome. I think I like it more than 3DW. And I got Link Between Worlds after this. I got the N3DS so I'm blasting the 3D effect all the way and really liking it.

Bit of a bump, but seriously thinking of getting a DS/3DS (old style) after falling in love with Pokémon against thanks to Zeta/Omnicron.

So, I have a decade to catch up on. I've only ever played Pokémon Yellow, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and a bit of Mario Kart from the Gameboy Color / Advance days - never touched Zelda, Starfox, Kirby, Smash, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, 3D Mario or Final Fantasy.

Where do I start?

Oh man you have so many good times ahead! I'm jealous.

You can't go wrong with Super Mario 3D Land, it's the best Mario handheld game and definitely one of the best on the system.

After that get over here, it's not comprehensive but it's a good start for checking out what's out there.

(definitely buy Monster Hunter 4, it's outstanding!)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Been playing Kid Icarus: Uprising. Beat the first 9 chapters and realized and I'm nowhere near done. I'm enjoying it a great deal, but the same structure of every level (air =>land) makes it a bit predictable. The game's difficulty system is fantastic... After I realized higher intensity meant better rewards, I replayed some of the levels on 5.0. But for most levels I pick 3.0 for the first run.

I had issues with hand cramps while playing (even when using the pinky trick), but I got myself a thumb strap and the controls are much smoother now. Makes a huge difference.

City 17

Just ordered Super Mario 64 DS, having played the original on N64.
How is the camera (Lakitu) controlled on a 3DS? Is there a way to do it using the circle pad pro like Zelda MM?

Kibbles

Just got a 3ds and have been playing Mario Kart 7, fun fun.

Are there any like party/multiplayer games where you pass the 3ds off to a friend when your turn is over?

Amneisac

I've been having a blast with Theatrythm Curtain Call, but I think I'm running into my difficulty barrier, which is frustrating. Persona Q showed up today! So I'll start on that tonight.

shlimmy

Neo Member
NES Remix has been really fun. Like how I can really play for a few minutes at a time on break at work. Some of those older games had quirky control for sure!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After a long break I've returned to AA: Dual Destinies. Currently on the fourth case. I'm liking this case more than the third, which was why I took a break in the first place. Still feel like 4 and 5 miss a certain magic the first 3 games had. They had such a grand finale with T&T, and they're really struggling to get to that level again.

Also playing Kirby's Triple Deluxe. After really disliking Epic Yarn - my first shot at a Kirby game- I decided to try this one out, and I'm enjoying it. It's a relaxing platformer, and I love messing around with the different powers. Considering maybe downloading Super Star for WiiU since that's apparently the best Kirby game.

A general question: I haven't played a Pokémon game since R/B/Y, but with the 3DS I'm thinking of jumping back in. What would be the best option, X/Y or the Ruby/Sapphire ports?

prateeko

After a long break I've returned to AA: Dual Destinies. Currently on the fourth case. I'm liking this case more than the third, which was why I took a break in the first place. Still feel like 4 and 5 miss a certain magic the first 3 games had. They had such a grand finale with T&T, and they're really struggling to get to that level again.

Also playing Kirby's Triple Deluxe. After really disliking Epic Yarn - my first shot at a Kirby game- I decided to try this one out, and I'm enjoying it. It's a relaxing platformer, and I love messing around with the different powers. Considering maybe downloading Super Star for WiiU since that's apparently the best Kirby game.

A general question: I haven't played a Pokémon game since R/B/Y, but with the 3DS I'm thinking of jumping back in. What would be the best option, X/Y or the Ruby/Sapphire ports?

X/Y and ORAS are both good (granted I only barely started OR). You're more likely to find X and Y on sale since they're a little older so you could grab those first. Others who have beat both could speak more to it but I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

redcrayon

SMTIV.

I wasn't sure about it for the first ten hours, but after that it grabbed me and didn't let go. I'm now flying through new game+ (you have the option of starting again or keeping your level) to see the other endings.

Considering that I picked it up in a sale for £8.99, it's been a surprise hit for me.

I still go back to Monster Hunter 4 as well, 270 hours and counting! I love Seregios as a new monster rival for the Raths, the cut scene in the campaign where they are fighting over territory was great, any kind of simple ecology stuff like that just brings it all to life and fleshes out the world.

'4' seems like a magic number on 3DS: Etrian Odyssey 4 was another of my other big timesinks.

I'm only a couple hours into ORAS and it's pretty similar to XY. The DexNav is really useful for catching Pokemon with a good Nature/ability/move though.

XY doesn't have that many new Pokemon but some are available early. The initial few wild Pokemon in ORAS are kind of bland.

I've heard ORAS has the better postgame.

Got Persona Q on my plate after being able to catch that discounted CE off Amazon a month or two ago, but I can't stop playing Stretchmo. It's gonna be near the top of my GOTY list for sure.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm in Triple Deluxe's final world and I'm not that impressed anymore. The levels get kinda repetitive the further you get and once the novelty of the powers wore off, I was autopiloting through the levels. I still plan to get all the sun stones to see what it does, but I'm ready to be done with it. I'm also getting tired of the boss rehashes, at first it was only the minibosses but in the final world the big ones return too. The game just seems really light on ideas and that gets exposed as you make progress.

I also finished Dual Destinies and that was a pretty good AA game, with an awesome final case.

Next up I'm thinking of trying 999 and VLR.

I should be playing Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold. I'm just too lazy to fire it up and see if I can make some progress.

To the above poster... I really enjoyed that Kirby game. The boss fights are pretty intense, and the levels have good visual design. The gameplay is smooth too. I can understand your criticism though.

Also, this thread got a big bump recently.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have now finished Triple Deluxe and I have to say that the finale and end boss were pretty good. I'm gunning the down the few remaining sunstones to play the extra levels, but after that I'm done.

Top Bottom