• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

43 U.S. Senators support bill that would make boycotting Israel a felony

aeolist

Banned
https://www.aclu.org/letter/aclu-letter-senate-opposing-israel-anti-boycott-act

The bill seeks to expand the Export Administration Act of 1979 and the Export-Import Bank Act of 1945 which, among other things, prohibit U.S. persons from complying with a foreign government’s request to boycott a country friendly to the U.S. The bill would amend those laws to bar U.S. persons from supporting boycotts against Israel, including its settlements in the Palestinian Occupied Territories, conducted by international governmenta l organizations, such as the United Nations and the European Union. It would also broaden the law to include penalties for simply requesting information about such boycotts. Violations would be subject to a minimum civil penalty of $250,000 and a maximum criminal penalty of $1 million and 20 years in prison.

Whatever your position is on the Palestinian situation this kind of thing should be immediately revolting.

Jail me for 20 years if old.

Zubz

Banned
I may not be versed in the boycott itself, but bipartisan support of a bill that quashes the right to protest in any way has me pissed.

This is RIDICULOUS.. I hope people don't buy into the idea that criticizing Israeli policy makes you anti-semetic and they try to make the illogical and ridiculous leap of framing this as an anti-hate bill.

Edit: There have been anti-BDS bills popping up all over the country. Sadly, a lot of them have passed through various state legislatures.. I can't imagine they'll hold once they're challenged in court though.

Guevara

...a group of 43 Senators – 29 Republicans and 14 Democrats – want to implement a law that would make it a felony for Americans to support the international boycott against Israel, which was launched in protest of that country's decades-old occupation of Palestine.

The two primary sponsors of the bill are Democrat Ben Cardin of Maryland and Republican Rob Portman of Ohio. Perhaps the most shocking aspect is the punishment: anyone guilty of violating its prohibitions will face a minimum civil penalty of $250,000, and a maximum criminal penalty of $1 million and 20 years in prison.

The proposed measure, called the Israel Anti-Boycott Act (S. 720), was introduced by Cardin on March 23. The Jewish Telegraphic Agency reports that the bill ”was drafted with the assistance of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee [AIPAC]." Indeed, AIPAC, in its 2017 Lobbying Agenda, identified passage of this bill as one of its top lobbying priorities for the year.

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/19...-support-for-boycott-campaign-against-israel/

Finally, an issue Democrats and Republicans can agree on.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
um what? How would you even enforce such a thing?

This is more for businesses, it is easy for employee to rat the owner out.

Some business accept competitive bids, if the bidder felt that they are being discriminated, the court can request the business to open their book and provide explanation for picking one bidder over another.

This law also made it impossible for someone to run a Facebook group organizing a boycott without being taken down.

What does this even mean? This is blatantly an affront to the first amendment

No shit, I was taking a shot at some people I've encountered that would defend the First Amendment
for nazis
till the next day, but probably won't make a huge fuss about this.

Those are very few, mind.

No shit, I was taking a shot at some people I've encountered that would defend the First Amendment
for nazis
till the next day, but probably won't make a huge fuss about this.

Those are very few, mind.

Ah ok. Just thought the statement was strange. Though plenty of those people are also anti-semitic regardless

Ah ok. Just thought the statement was strange. Though plenty of those people are also anti-semitic regardless

Probably not so good formulated as English isn't my first language

Anyway, this is pretty shameful and I'm genuinely surprised that this is a bipartisan effort. Didn't know the Israel as unconditional ally thing was this common even under Democrats.

rudger

I'm trying to understand this. So there is already a law on the books that says you can't boycott an ally to the US just because...a foreign client of yours is requesting it? And they are extending this to Israel? I'm very confused. The wording makes it sound like the law should have already applied to Israel(since they are an ally). Is this one of those things that is purely for show or do I just not understand the original law?

Top Bottom