• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50/60hz on the PAL Wii U eShop - Discussion Thread

oni-link

I'm slightly confused by this, are you saying Wii U VC Super Metroid is ok or an inferior version?

I had hoped to get it at some point but now I'm not so sure

Edit: I played ALTTP on the Wii VC a few years ago and that seemed ok to me, is it just the Wii U version that is inferior, if so maybe I won't upgrade that

The Wii U can't/doesn't play 50Hz games properly.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57554300&postcount=41

Old, maybe not entirely accurate, but it's the general gist.

OK I get it. So most gamers are fine because they weren't PAL optimized and had the same amount of frames as NTSC but at a slower speed. Those that were optimized suffer because they deleted frames which were then refilled by repeating the previous frame instead of the missing frame at 60hz.

So does that mean that if I play the PAL Super Metroid cart on a 60hz console, the exact same thing will happen?

Robin64

I'm slightly confused by this, are you saying Wii U VC Super Metroid is ok or an inferior version?

It's pretty bad. The faster the game, the more easily you can notice. Super Metroid has judder which anyone should be able to see when running along.

So does that mean that if I play the PAL Super Metroid cart on a 60hz console, the exact same thing will happen?

With PAL Super Metroid forced to 60Hz, everything will move at normal speed again except for Samus. They modified her speed for the PAL version to closer match the US one, so what would actually happen there is that she would move too fast.

Doczu

Edit: I played ALTTP on the Wii VC a few years ago and that seemed ok to me, is it just the Wii U version that is inferior, if so maybe I won't upgrade that
EU version of Super Metroid is 50Hz. Someone posted here that he had trouble timing jumps and stuff like that.

OK I get it. So most gamers are fine because they weren't PAL optimized and had the same amount of frames as NTSC but at a slower speed. Those that were optimized suffer because they deleted frames which were then refilled by repeating the previous frame instead of the missing frame at 60hz.

If i recall corectly, the EU version of Super Metroid was clocked higher to smooth the gameplay (or was it just Samus?).

Robin64

If i recall corectly, the EU version of Super Metroid was clocked higher to smooth the gameplay (or was it just Samus?).

Yeah, just Samus. Makes it easy to do things like escape the first Torizo boss room before the door closes.

Same thing happened with Kirby's Adventure.

With PAL Super Metroid forced to 60Hz, everything will move at normal speed again except for Samus. They modified her speed for the PAL version to closer match the US one, so what would actually happen there is that she would move too fast.

And now I'm confused again.

Robin64

And now I'm confused again.

So PAL Super Metroid moves at 50fps. This made everything slower than the US 60fps version.

So what they did was "speed up" Samus. That is, she will move the same distance in one second at 50fps as she does in one second at 60fps. But only Samus was sped up. Everything else, the enemies, the doors, they all run slower.

If you were to now force that to run at 60fps, everything would be back to the normal speed except Samus who will now go too fast.

I get that bit, what I don't understand is why is that not what happened with the VC release? In both cases we're taking the PAL 50hz release and running at 60hz. On original hardware that results in normal gameworld/fast samus, on VC we get missing + duplicated frames.

What am I missing here?

Robin64

I get that bit, what I don't understand is why is that not what happened with the VC release? In both cases we're taking the PAL 50hz release and running at 60hz. On original hardware that results in normal gameworld/fast samus, on VC we get missing + duplicated frames.

What am I missing here?

Oh, no, the VC release isn't running at 60Hz, it's running at 50Hz on a 60Hz display.

virtualS

I'm sure the Wii U hardware is at least capable of outputting 50Hz if Nintendo bothered to implement such a mode in the OS. At least then shitty 50Hz games would run as originally intended.

There really is no excuse though. Everything should be 60, especially in English speaking countries. I want the US version of every game.

It's not that hard Nintendo.

oni-link

Haha ok this is confusing

Is the Wii U EU Super Metroid playable? Is it worth getting? Is it going to be good enough for someone who has never played it before?

If its an inferior/broken version I might just wait and hope the NX has a better version, it's a shame though because I've wanted to play it for ages

I'm sure the Wii U hardware is at least capable of outputting 50Hz if Nintendo bothered to implement such a mode in the OS. At least then shitty 50Hz games would run as originally intended.

There really is no excuse though. Everything should be 60, especially in English speaking countries. I want the US version of every game.

It's not that hard Nintendo.

Considering how many amazing games Nintendo could have on the virtual console, but don't, it must be one of the horribly missed opportunities in the history of gaming. A fully stocked and non half arsed virtual console would be a game changer, what I wouldn't give for a "Nintendo Box" that lets me play everything from the NES to the Wii

Robin64

Haha ok this is confusing

Is the Wii U EU Super Metroid playable? Is it worth getting? Is it going to be good enough for someone who has never played it before?

If its an inferior/broken version I might just wait and hope the NX has a better version, it's a shame though because I've wanted to play it for ages

Playable, sure. I mean, people still get 100% on it in this state. It's just the worst possible way to play Super Metroid. NTSC SNES/Wii U > PAL SNES > PAL Wii U.

TheMoon

I wish we couId restart the 60hz campaign to make Nintendo aware of the situation we have to deaI with.

And by the way, I gave up: This week I'II buy the 50hz version of DKC2. I'm sick of waiting and right now I have no money to buy a SNES + game. Maybe it wiII even be pIayabIe.

It is completely playable, otherwise I wouldn't have 102%ed the Wii U VC version.

Yes, on the eShop it does. But if you play the demo with no indication that you are playing the superior version (as in a message that this is the US/60Hz game) then how would you know that the EU version is inferior? Yes, there guys and girls like us that know what it means, but not the average joe. That's just a asshole move.

If you're that person then you won't even notice or care anyway. No point in making a fuss over fantasy humans with fantasy emotions.

oni-link

Yeah, not gonna get fixed.

Forgot to mention, it also has some pretty bad audio bugs in one section.

As you can imagine, all the beeps and weird noises are not meant to be there.

If it ever goes on sale (I'm a new Wii U owner, I don't know how frequent/good the sales are) then maybe I'll bite, but I'm not paying full price for an inferior version

Hasney

If it ever goes on sale (I'm a new Wii U owner, I don't know how frequent/good the sales are) then maybe I'll bite, but I'm not paying full price for an inferior version

Well they seem to put VC games on sale when a new game in the franchise comes out, so it should be reduced when the next Metroid is coming.

:(

Neff

As a veteran of the US version of Super Metroid played on a US SNES, I'm sad to say that the EU Wii U version is just about the worst retail version of the game out there. It's playable, yes, and if you've never experienced the game at its best, then you're probably not going to be terribly dismayed by it at its worst, save for a rather unattractive choppiness and the occasional missed input.

It's still a fine game and probably worth the money if you don't have the option of playing a legit US version, but it's in neither Nintendo nor consumer's interests to be releasing software in this state.

Robin64

As expected, after having confirmation we can add another one to the list...

NES
Balloon Fight
Kirby's Adventure
Street Gangs
Ufouria: The Saga

SNES
Donkey Kong Country 2
Harvest Moon
Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Pop'n Twinbee
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Super Metroid

N64
Donkey Kong 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Paper Mario

It's worth noting that while DK64's PAL implementation wasn't too bad (thanks, Rare), apparently Paper Mario is just outright slower.

TheMoon

We are going to get fucked with Wave Race 64 aren't we? :(

Honestly doubt it. Paper Mario makes sense due to the language and it being an RPG. If they even release Wave Race there is no reason for languages. Since they have proven to make random decisions sometimes (DKC 1+3), I am quite optimistic they will make one for that too.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's pretty bad. The faster the game, the more easily you can notice. Super Metroid has judder which anyone should be able to see when running along.

Weird. I read that PAL Super Metroid runs at correct timings on a 60hz modified PAL SNES. Guess not, you crushed my "I will one day mod my PAL snes to 60hz" dreams :(

Robin64

Weird. I read that PAL Super Metroid runs at correct speeds on a 60hz modified PAL SNES.

It can't. Samus's movement in the PAL ROM is programmed to move faster to counter the slowdown, while everything else remains the same. Forcing it to 60Hz would speed everything back up to normal while keeping Samus the same. Samus will move too fast.

TheMoon

Out of curiosity, were there any 60Hz ports on Wii VC?

VC games are not ports. They are emulated version of the original games.

That said, of course. A ton. All the "import" games that never came out here before were 60Hz because there was no 50Hz version (FF II, III and Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle 64 and the SNES game, Sin & Punishment, etc etc etc). Plus all (?) the TG16 games.

That said, of course. A ton. All the "import" games that never came out here before were 60Hz because there was no 50Hz version (FF II, III and Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle 64 and the SNES game, Sin & Punishment, etc etc etc). Plus all (?) the TG16 games.
Actually the import Mega Drive games are 50Hz (in fact the Wii shop page used to say it was 60Hz only but that was lies). I'd love to ask M2 what they hell they were doing but it is long in the past now...

Oh yeah, Neogeo too. The fact the home console here was 50Hz seems a bit contrary to the take the arcade experience home marketing.

Also the NES Ninja Gaiden counts as an import game here. Probably due to that being more of a brand these days than Shadow Warriors. Thank you 80s Ninja controversy (or whatever it was that lead to the rename).

Doopliss

As expected, after having confirmation we can add another one to the list...

It's worth noting that while DK64's PAL implementation wasn't too bad (thanks, Rare), apparently Paper Mario is just outright slower.
Nooo, I was really hoping to play the best version of the game. This sucks.

TheMoon

Also the NES Ninja Gaiden counts as an import game here. Probably due to that being more of a brand these days than Shadow Warriors. Thank you 80s Ninja controversy (or whatever it was that lead to the rename).

What's a Ninja?

46849_front.jpg

It's crazy they even let Michelangelo keep the nunchuks. They were super illegal back then. lol ...Nunchuk scenes always got cut out of movies.

Volotaire

I'm working on a thread that hopes to list every PAL 50Hz game on digital platforms and games released since the 6th generation (for obvious reasons). Nintendo and non Nintendo. If anyone wants to input they are welcome! A lot of the information on the internet is scattered, especially about minor mini-game collections on the Wii that may have outputted 50Hz. This may be of little relevance to video game players on NeoGAF, but I would like to attempt an encyclopaedic entry to help PAL gamers/game collectors/etc.

Also, a shame to hear Donkey Kong 64 and paper mario is 50Hz. I was tempted to purchase it.

EDIT: Oh, the DK64 PAL implementation is apparently not as bad as the other games.]

EDIT 2:This website details that OoT is also the European version of the game.

PtM

Banned
I'm working on a thread that hopes to list every PAL 50Hz game on digital platforms and games released since the 6th generation (for obvious reasons). Nintendo and non Nintendo. If anyone wants to input they are welcome! A lot of the information on the internet is scattered, especially about minor mini-game collections on the Wii that may have outputted 50Hz. This may be of little relevance to video game players on NeoGAF, but I would like to attempt an encyclopaedic entry to help PAL gamers/game collectors/etc.

Also, a shame to hear Donkey Kong 64 and paper mario is 50Hz. I was tempted to purchase it.

EDIT: Oh, the DK64 PAL implementation is apparently not as bad as the other games.]

EDIT 2:This website details that OoT is also the European version of the game.
There's a list in this thread. Wii VC apparently are all 50Hz if applicable. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=164323884#post164321532 and following – DUH, IT'S ALL ON THIS PAGE…

Volotaire

There's a list in this thread. Wii VC apparently are all 50Hz if applicable. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=164323884#post164321532 and following – DUH, IT'S ALL ON THIS PAGE…

Oh I mean listing every 50Hz game in existence PS2, Gamecube, Wii Virtual Console, etc. Also I'm not sure why you are linking that list? OoT has not been updated on this thread's list. It may be the same author on the website (Robin64) but it has not been updated in this thread.

PtM

Banned
Oops, I thought only digital.
Also I'm not sure why you are linking that list?
It's a start.
Code:
NES
    Balloon Fight
    Kirby's Adventure
    Street Gangs

SNES
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Harvest Moon
    Pop'n Twinbee
    Super Metroid

N64
    Donkey Kong 64
    Paper Mario

Volotaire

Oops, I thought only digital.

It's a start.
Code:
NES
    Balloon Fight
    Kirby's Adventure
    Street Gangs

SNES
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Harvest Moon
    Pop'n Twinbee
    Super Metroid

N64
    Donkey Kong 64
    Paper Mario

Ah I see. I've got it down already.

flowsnake

I've been considering getting some of the games missing from Wii U VC on the Wii VC, so a list of which are 60hz and which are 50hz would be useful.

I know most of the Wii ones are 50hz, but what about games like Super Mario RPG that never had a 50hz version? I would like to think they are 60hz, but I remember Sony actually had some issues where PS1 classics would output in 50hz even though they were the US versions.

Rich!

I've been considering getting some of the games missing from Wii U VC on the Wii VC, so a list of which are 60hz and which are 50hz would be useful.

I know most of the Wii ones are 50hz, but what about games like Super Mario RPG that never had a 50hz version? I would like to think they are 60hz, but I remember Sony actually had some issues where PS1 classics would output in 50hz even though they were the US versions.

that doesn't occur with import Nintendo titles. They're 60hz, and stated prominently as such

TheMoon

The import games like SMRPG are NTSC 60Hz versions. It will say so on the page. The only exceptions are, weirdly, stuff like Pulseman and possibly other Mega Drive games (not too sure about that stuff). But anything on Nintendo's systems that is a JP or NA import game or TG-16 in general, is NTSC 60Hz.

I think it's worth pointing out that those Pop'n Twinbee games never got a US release,
so a 50hz only release is sort of understandable.

Though I suppose they could give us the Japanese versions.

Does anyone here know if releasing both versions of, say Super Metroid,
would mean having to get the game rated twice? I suppose that would be the
only semi-legit reason not to let us choose between 50hz/60hz for translated
games.

TheMoon

I think it's worth pointing out that those Pop'n Twinbee games never got a US release,
so a 50hz only release is sort of understandable.

Though I suppose they could give us the Japanese versions.

Does anyone here know if releasing both versions of, say Super Metroid,
would mean having to get the game rated twice? I suppose that would be the
only semi-legit reason not to let us choose between 50hz/60hz for translated
games.

Yes every version of something needs to get rated. Especially the USK is ridiculous about stuff like this. You even have to get demos rated separately by them. I think they offer reduced fees if it is a version of something that has already been rated though. Not sure on the specifics.

Yes every version of something needs to get rated. Especially the USK is ridiculous about stuff like this. You even have to get demos rated separately by them. I think they offer reduced fees if it is a version of something that has already been rated though. Not sure on the specifics.

Ah I see. Maybe that can become a problem for more niche titles like Legend of Mystical Ninja. Still, there is no excuse for major titles like A Link to the Past or Super Metroid.

Volotaire

Hopefully if NX launches next, whichever form factor or whatever it will be, NOE will be able to release 60Hz games for each virtual console release. I imagine they will start over yet again because they have will have a new architecture in their systems. But, have a much larger start up library. Perhaps the new loyalty programme might discuss cross over with virtual console content in some respect.

Hasney

Hopefully if NX launches next, whichever form factor or whatever it will be, NOE will be able to release 60Hz games for each virtual console release. I imagine they will start over yet again because they have will have a new architecture in their systems. But, have a much larger start up library. Perhaps the new loyalty programme might discuss cross over with virtual console content in some respect.
Maybe it won't have region locking and we can use the US store.

Well, I can dream right?

Top Bottom