• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50/60hz on the PAL Wii U eShop - Discussion Thread

Volotaire

Could we update the OP with a list of 'optimised 50Hz games', 60Hz games and games that remain at 50Hz on the Wii U eShop. It would really help.

TheMoon

Could we update the OP with a list of 'optimised 50Hz games', 60Hz games and games that remain at 50Hz on the Wii U eShop. It would really help.

this hasn't changed:

For reference, the current list of 50Hz games on the Wii U VC is as follows:

NES
Balloon Fight*
Kirby's Adventure
Ufouria: The Saga

SNES
Donkey Kong Country 2
Harvest Moon
Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Pop'n Twinbee
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Super Metroid

* I don't know what we'd call this mess, but it ain't right.

everything else is NTSC

also

Banned
Are these 50Hz or optimised 50Hz? And all the rest are definitely the NTSC versions?

Wii U can't (currently?) output at 50Hz so it doesn't matter if a game was PAL optimised.
For the record, DKC2 is the only one out those that was optimised.

Volotaire

Yes ... you need only look at the eShop page. It always says whether it's the US/EU/JP version.

Wii U can't (currently?) output at 50Hz so it doesn't matter if a game was PAL optimised.
For the record, DKC2 is the only one out those that was optimised.

DKC2 is optimised 50Hz. The rest are either not or some weird bastard in between state like Kirby's Adventure where Kirby was sped up but everything is else is still slow.

Thanks guys/gals. It might be a good idea to create a new thread to put more pressure on NOE on this. Three big release games in this state is unacceptable.

samn

Are these 50Hz or optimised 50Hz? And all the rest are definitely the NTSC versions?

Don't buy 'optimised PAL', it's still shit on the Wii U because the hardware can't actually output at 50Hz. It outputs 60Hz with repeated frames, you'll see uneven stuttering and if you make a button press on duplicated frames then it won't be recognised. You cannot have a decent experience with a 50Hz Wii U title.

TheMoon

Thanks guys/gals. It might be a good idea to create a new thread to put more pressure on NOE on this. Three big release games in this state is unacceptable.

NOE doesn't care about some random GAF thread with the same 10 people posting in it.

TheMoon

I'd rather try then do nothing about it.

Write email to them or call. That way they actually notice the complaints exist. Whereas this is just an echo chamber that nobody will notice outside of those of us who have a problem with it already.

Volotaire

Write email to them or call. That way they actually notice the complaints exist. Whereas this is just an echo chamber that nobody will notice outside of those of us who have a problem with it already.

Yes, that it more effective. Hopefully they're listening to the complaints I've made in the NOE surveys too.

weekev

Banned
Normally people would be complaining about the length of this bump but it feels positively new compared to some of the necrobumps today.

Go home GAF you're drunk.

Robin64

Slightly depressed that we have to update the list at this late juncture, but here we are.

NES
Balloon Fight
Kirby's Adventure
Street Gangs
Ufouria: The Saga

SNES
Donkey Kong Country 2
Harvest Moon
Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Pop'n Twinbee
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Super Metroid

N64
Donkey Kong 64

Neff

Shame that this has happened, again rather inexplicable.

Super Mario 64 did receive a language-specific PAL version after all, yet we get the NTSC version wheras DK64 suffers PAL.

Not complaining, since I got my 60hz SM64, but it's weird. There's seems to be no hard and fast rule governing which region gets released, unless of course there is no PAL/multilingual version in the first place.

Neff

DKC didn't specify which version it was on the eShop initially (although it does now), but it was clearly the NTSC version.

I'm guessing someone knows DK64 well enough to be able to tell the difference.

Mr-Joker

Banned
DKC didn't specify which version it was on the eShop initially (although it does now), but it was clearly the NTSC version.

I'm guessing someone knows DK64 well enough to be able to tell the difference.

Well what does the game say when you boot it up? I haven't brought it yet.

TheMoon

Well what does the game say when you boot it up? I haven't brought it yet.

It says "released in Europe in..." plus the game is EFIGS, so ...

Anyway, it still plays very smooth. Considering this is an N64 game. An N64 game from Rare.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
In case double-confirmation is neccesary, you'll find quite a few user-posted screenshots that are sporting german text. The US version was english-only, the EU version was EFGS.

Neff

I remember it being much worse. I'll plop in my PAL cartridge tomorrow to compare. So far I see nothing wrong with this version aside from it being Fucking DK64.^^

Unless you compare it to a NTSC cart on a NTSC console, you're not doing a lot of comparing, I'm afraid.

TheMoon

Unless you compare it to a NTSC cart on a NTSC console, you're not doing a lot of comparing, I'm afraid.

I don't get this. I have no interest in comparing this to an NTSC version. I want to compare my PAL cart on an N64 against this PAL version emulated. It's a valid and useful comparison.

How do you find the Wii U handling a 50Hz N64 game compared to a 50Hz SNES game? Do you still notice that judder?

I don't notice any judder. Other than what it inherently has due to being an N64 game from Rare.

Doczu

My god... I just got Super Metroid and Zelda LttP and... It's bad. The overworld music in Zelda just hangs up when it loops, the sprites walk "funny", sounds are kinda off... Good thing i traded them for stars, as i now know i will never buy a 50hz VC game. Thanks Nintendo.

Robin64

So here's a real kick in the teeth...

amiibo Touch and Play comes out in Europe this week.

Every games on there is the 60Hz version. This includes Super Metroid, Kirby's Adventure, and A Link to the Past.

My face is not a good face right now.

Hasney

So here's a real kick in the teeth...

amiibo Touch and Play comes out in Europe this week.

Every games on there is the 60Hz version. This includes Super Metroid, Kirby's Adventure, and A Link to the Past.

My face is not a good face right now.

Holy shit. What in the fuck are they playing at? I mean, the entire ROM will be in the package as it's easier than cutting up the old code.

TheMoon

Oh come on Nintendo, this is just FUBAR!

But also completely logical. They developed this as one game, like NES Remix, and they're not gonna change it for other regions. It was pretty clear this was how it's gonna be from the get-go. Now the one thing they should've/could've done is let you export the full game if you either already bought it or make it unlock within this amiibo tap app if you purchased it. Maybe with an added artwork frame to give people a reason to use this elsewhere.

Why is this bad?

It's not, it's entirely inconsequential. It's just reopening old wounds.

Why is this bad?

because the VC versions are 50hz. If they can do these three minute snippets at the correct speed, why can't we have the full game that way? (the answer is localisation issues for non-english speaking PAL territories but it's hardly an insurmountable problem).

Doczu

But also completely logical. They developed this as one game, like NES Remix, and they're not gonna change it for other regions. It was pretty clear this was how it's gonna be from the get-go. Now the one thing they should've/could've done is let you export the full game if you either already bought it or make it unlock within this amiibo tap app if you purchased it. Maybe with an added artwork frame to give people a reason to use this elsewhere.

Logical or not, if you are tempted to buy a game thanks to tap tap stuff you are getting the inferior version, with no indication (unless they add a info that this is a US version, the one you buy is EU).

One thing I don't get is that if you take a PAL SNES game and play it on an NTSC console, it plays at the correct speed and aspect ratio right? So why is this even a problem? It's not the ROMs that were the wrong speed, it was the hardware.

TheMoon

Logical or not, if you are tempted to buy a game thanks to tap tap stuff you are getting the inferior version, with no indication (unless they add a info that this is a US version, the one you buy is EU).

Every game on the eShop already says which version you're getting.

drunkenbaker

Neo Member
Because you could play the 60hz version of a title in Touch and Play, the buy the full game from the eShop only to discover that it doesn't play the same and you're lumbered with the PAL version. That, plus the whole rubbing salt in the wound thing.

mktrOOp

Banned
I wish we couId restart the 60hz campaign to make Nintendo aware of the situation we have to deaI with.

And by the way, I gave up: This week I'II buy the 50hz version of DKC2. I'm sick of waiting and right now I have no money to buy a SNES + game. Maybe it wiII even be pIayabIe.

Doczu

Every game on the eShop already says which version you're getting.

Yes, on the eShop it does. But if you play the demo with no indication that you are playing the superior version (as in a message that this is the US/60Hz game) then how would you know that the EU version is inferior? Yes, there guys and girls like us that know what it means, but not the average joe. That's just a asshole move.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
One thing I don't get is that if you take a PAL SNES game and play it on an NTSC console, it plays at the correct speed and aspect ratio right? So why is this even a problem? It's not the ROMs that were the wrong speed, it was the hardware.

Some PAL games were modified to compensate for the lower clock rates of the hardware. Link to the Past, for instance, had its music fixed, but not the gameplay. If you run these games on NTSC hardware, these "fixes" will turn into glitches. They should just let us chose between PAL and NTSC versions in the options menu of the game. Can't be that hard... I can perfectly live without localization. In fact, I'd prefer the US versions.

shiyrley

Banned
Holy shit I can't believe Nintendo is still doing this.

It's quite simple:
- In most games the reading required to play is anecdotal.
- If you need to read a lot to play the game (example, Paper Mario) they could just let us choose between the USA and PAL versions.

I'm from Spain but I would choose 60 Hz over Spanish taxt any day of the week.

Also, Nintendo DID release a 60 Hz version of Ocarina and Majora's WITH EUROPEAN LANGUAGES on GameCube. The PAL GameCube Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask run at 60 Hz, at the correct speed (20 FPS, and yes, MM has slowdowns because of shitty emulation but that's not the point) AND they allow you to play in multiple languages just like the PAL versions. In fact you can for example throw this version of Majora's Mask into an emulator and play the game at 60 Hz and Spanish language, for example. They could do this with every game if they wanted but whatever.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Time for me to say "fuck you" to Nintendo's VC and import a RGB-moded NTSC SNES/N64 from the states.

I wish we couId restart the 60hz campaign to make Nintendo aware of the situation we have to deaI with.
Do what I do. e-mail the customer services every time a 50Hz game comes out and yeah and complaint posts on Miiverse. I don't know if they do forward to an appropriate department (probably not as after several years they keep doing this shit as the miiverse mutiny and subsequent media coverage was the only thing that made it change). Speaking of which I need to do that for "street gangs" (which as the 3DS shows works fine at 60Hz).

Top Bottom