• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50/60hz on the PAL Wii U eShop - Discussion Thread

Neff

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEw9azlmA

zlCfzSk3f80swdSN07

mktrOOp

Banned
Ok, today I beat DKC1 for the first time and it was awesome. Now I'd like to play DKC2, but I won't pay 8€ for this 50Hz shit.
And I don't know what to do now. I don't plan to buy a SNES for 4-5 games, the GBA version is terrible and I refuse to play videogames on a emulator. Therefore I've decided to spam the Miiverse and Nintendo by sending mails about this issue. I know it's stupid, but maybe someone at Nintendo will notice my posts. :(

Rich!

I refuse to play videogames on a emulator

Is that due to ethics or because you think it's inferior?

Retroarch with the BSNES core and a SNES controller, hooked up to a TV, is literally identical to the real thing. It's actually much, much more accurate to an actual SNES than the emulator Nintendo uses for the VC releases. BSNES is 100% cycle accurate.

Buy the cart on ebay, and play through the game using Retroarch on your PC hooked up to an HDTV with a decent controller/SNES pad through a converter. It's the real deal.

mktrOOp

Banned
Is that due to ethics or because you think it's inferior?

Well, five years ago I've decided to try DKC on a emulator for the first time. I beat the first boss and I lost interest quickly because I tried many other games like Contra III or Super Mario Kart for free. In my opinion videogames are meant to play in a official way to maintain their value. I'd also like to have the whole DKC trilogy on the same platform. Therefore I try to avoid the emulator solution as much as possible, but I have to admit...you grabbed my attention.

Now I'll go to bed and think about this, lol.

TheMoon

Well, five years ago I've decided to try DKC on a emulator for the first time. I beat the first boss and I lost interest quickly because I tried many other games like Contra III or Super Mario Kart for free. In my opinion videogames are meant to play in a official way to maintain their value. I'd also like to have the whole DKC trilogy on the same platform. Therefore I try to avoid the emulator solution as much as possible, but I have to admit...you grabbed my attention.

Now I'll go to bed and think about this, lol.

If you eBay the cartridge, you could try to trick your mind by going with the suggested setup, and putting the cart in front of the TV or something as some form of "simulated dedication" to playing THIS GAME RIGHT NOW as opposed to the usual "play ROM on emu for 5 min, quit and put in another one" shenanigans that also put me off of playing emulators on PC.

Robin64

This week's games are Mega Man 7 and Mega Man X3 and both are confirmed to be the 60Hz US versions. Yum!

mf luder

With all these 60hz versions flying around what the hell is the reason for giving us the 50hz DKC2? There must be one but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With all these 60hz versions flying around what the hell is the reason for giving us the 50hz DKC2? There must be one but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

The only way we'd likely ever get an answer is if someone in the press asked. Since the chances of that happening are zero we'll never know.

Ask their customer services. They told me the PAL version of DKC2 was only in 50Hz (well duh) and insisted a majority of the VC was PAL versions (if you include the Wii shop that is true...but seemed to me like they didn't get the question asked as I was asking the content of the majority of the Wii U eShop and specifically why DKC2 had to be an exception).

The last exchange ended with:
"Regarding this decision, we have passed your feedback along for consideration however we cannot guarantee an outcome."
They didn't reply to me tearing apart of their argument of "we're a PAL region so we has to be 50Hz" and "majority of the VC is PAL versions" nor did I get the usual survey asking about my customer services experience...

In case anyone wanted the Konami Europe support ticket is still unanswered...apparently their support system is still borked and the twitter support is for US customers only.

also

Banned
So I contacted CS about DKC2 being PAL just for the heck of it and here's the reply I got.

''With regards to your query, we can confirm that there is no major difference between the versions.

''This is the European version of the game, which was optimised originally by the developer to offer gameplay and music speed similar to the US version. Demos and animations may run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release.''

This version was selected because it runs exactly as the European release. The difference is display ratio to correct the screen. The game play remains the same and we see no issue with the game.
Ok...
I sent a reply to correct them but I doubt it'll do any good.

TheMoon

CS has no clue, they just refer to their official info that you could also just google. It's rare that you get someone who actually knows something or cares enough to give a proper response/look into it further.

Are all the mega man X titles on Wii U the 60hz versions? Can't find the answer and would like to be playing the games, but not at sucky 50hz.

pupcoffee

Are all the mega man X titles on Wii U the 60hz versions? Can't find the answer and would like to be playing the games, but not at sucky 50hz.

If it's 60hz, on the eshop it should it say "This is the US version of the game." I know that the first Mega Man X says that.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, they are in 60Hz. The game description page on the eShop should say if it's the US version or the European version.

double beaten

Robin64

For reference, the current list of 50Hz games on the Wii U VC is as follows:

NES
Balloon Fight*
Kirby's Adventure
Ufouria: The Saga

SNES
Donkey Kong Country 2
Harvest Moon
Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Pop'n Twinbee
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Super Metroid

* I don't know what we'd call this mess, but it ain't right.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Probably should note that Rainbow Bell Adventures didn't come out in the Americas so there's no option but 50Hz unless they gave us the Japanese version (that actually has multiple endings)

mclem

Probably should note that Rainbow Bell Adventures didn't come out in the Americas so there's no option but 50Hz unless they gave us the Japanese version (that actually has multiple endings)

Isn't that also true of Ufouria?

Neff

We should probably be poking Eurogamer or C+VG or NintendoLife or something to put this issue to Nintendo. I did email a couple of sites aaaages ago about BalloonFightgate, and most of them did report on it at the time, but there doesn't seem to be much acknowledgement of this problem in the press these days.

Rich!

We should probably be poking Eurogamer or C+VG or NintendoLife or something to put this issue to Nintendo. I did email a couple of sites aaaages ago about BalloonFightgate, and most of them did report on it at the time, but there doesn't seem to be much acknowledgement of this problem in the press these days.

Because a lot of people, including here on GAF, quite simply either don't care or don't understand.

Its a shame.

Neff

Because a lot of people, including here on GAF, quite simply either don't care or don't understand.

Its a shame.

It's true. When Balloon Fight hit, Miiverse exploded with overwhelming protest. If you look at it now, you'll see the odd 50hz complaint between dozens and dozens of people posting pics and happily playing the games. Ignorance is bliss in this case.

Well, looks like I won't be buying anything from the eShop on my Wii U. What a damn shame.
Wait so the only things were interest in buying are as follows?
For reference, the current list of 50Hz games on the Wii U VC is as follows:

NES
Balloon Fight*
Kirby's Adventure
Ufouria: The Saga

SNES
Donkey Kong Country 2
Harvest Moon
Legend of The Mystical Ninja
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Pop'n Twinbee
Pop'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Super Metroid

* I don't know what we'd call this mess, but it ain't right.
I somehow think you're just looking for excuse to not bother.

I'm surprised that more people don't care given all the 'discussions' that take place over 30FPS v 60FPS. I guess that the Wii U's low install base has something to do with that but it would be good to see some movement regarding this.

samn

Wait so the only things were interest in buying are as follows?

I somehow think you're just looking for excuse to not bother.

It's more the fact that I can't trust what I'm buying to work properly on my console. It's barely acceptable on PC but it's just ludicrous on a console with a controlled ecosystem. I don't want to give money to that kind of service.

And ALTTP and Super Metroid were definitely two of the games I was most interested in.

TheMoon

It's more the fact that I can't trust what I'm buying to work properly on my console. It's barely acceptable on PC but it's just ludicrous on a console with a controlled ecosystem. I don't want to give money to that kind of service.

And ALTTP and Super Metroid were definitely two of the games I was most interested in.

If you would simply read the store page description there'd be no problem. Also, everything works properly. Don't be silly.

TheMoon

Sigh.

Properly != perfectly.

All the 50Hz games are completely playable in the form they are released. We've been through this. It's not perfect but it's also not a monstrosity. I say this as someone having finished two games on the system that way.

Rich!

Sigh.

Properly != perfectly.

All the 50Hz games are completely playable in the form they are released. We've been through this. It's not perfect but it's also not a monstrosity. I say this as someone having finished two games on the system that way.

Because your opinion overrules everyone elses? Sorry, you arent that important.

Enough people have an issue with it to be a legitimate concern, as this thread proves. End of.

TheMoon

Because your opinion overrules everyone elses? Sorry, you arent that important.

Enough people have an issue with it to be a legitimate concern, as this thread proves. End of.

Now where did I say this exactly? We've been through this god damn discussion enough times that I didn't feel like needing to add the disclaimer again that I'd very much prefer 60Hz utopia myself and fully acknowledge their objective superiority. I guess I should just copy/paste this every time this comes up...

My response was intended to point out the silly and hyperbolic tone of the original post.

also

Banned
If you would simply read the store page description there'd be no problem. Also, everything works properly. Don't be silly.

Uforia THE SAGA doesn't say it's the EU version so you can't rely on descriptions alone. There being no US version doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't warn people what they are about to buy.

Properly:
1. Correctly or satisfactorily

Nope, they most certainly don't work properly.

TheMoon

Uforia THE SAGA doesn't say it's the EU version so you can't rely on descriptions alone. There being no US version doesn't mean Nintendo shouldn't warn people what they are about to buy.

Properly:
1. Correctly or satisfactorily

Nope, they most certainly don't work properly.

They play satisfyingly for plenty of people, me being one of them. That a few hardcore enthusiasts who obsess over a tiny judder while scrolling or a doubled frame that most don't even notice doesn't invalidate this. You know in what camp you fall already. If these details bother you that much then don't buy it, if you've never noticed it and only learned about it here, you'll likely never really notice it or don't actually care. This is all I'm saying.

Neff

I wonder if with 60fps videos being more prevalent these days it'll be easier to highlight the difference for those not aware...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Isn't that also true of Ufouria?
Well I'll be honest, I just know about Twinbee since it was a game I enjoyed playing around at a friend's house when I was younger. I wouldn't mind getting it again, but I'd rather wait for a solution to the 50Hz problem over a 60Hz signal. I'm not that desperate for the game after all.

also

Banned
They play satisfyingly for plenty of people, me being one of them. That a few hardcore enthusiasts who obsess over a tiny judder while scrolling or a doubled frame that most don't even notice doesn't invalidate this. You know in what camp you fall already. If these details bother you that much then don't buy it, if you've never noticed it and only learned about it here, you'll likely never really notice it or don't actually care. This is all I'm saying.

I wonder how many actually notice there's something off about the game but don't know how to articulate it.
And Balloon Fight and Super Metroid also have messed up music, so it's not just repeated frames.

TheMoon

I wonder how many actually notice there's something off about the game but don't know how to articulate it.
And Balloon Fight and Super Metroid also have messed up music, so it's not just repeated frames.

Super Metroid doesn't have "messed up music." At least not anywhere close to the same degree if you're referring to SM's sound bug in the Wrecked Ship that I hadn't even noticed while playing. Comparing that to Balloon Fight's completely ruined music is quite a thing to do...

Pila

They play satisfyingly for plenty of people, me being one of them. That a few hardcore enthusiasts who obsess over a tiny judder while scrolling or a doubled frame that most don't even notice doesn't invalidate this.

Dude, we know that's not the end of the world, we played them at 50hz back in the time and we survived ^^ It's not about obsessing for the sake of it. It's about being treated like morons. Why should I settle for less? The european eShop is the more expensive one, not the cheapest.

Always happy to buy games on the Wii U VC, I own a few, but I'm not gonna buy this shit. Super Metroid, Zelda LTTP and DKC2 were 100% instabuy for me. :(

mclem

Properly != perfectly.

The irony here is that the stated reason originally for giving us 50Hz versions was because they *were* perfect renditions of how we played as kids. Yet now the Wii U doesn't quite handle them correctly, giving us a perfect option is apparently off the cards.

also

Banned
Super Metroid doesn't have "messed up music." At least not anywhere close to the same degree if you're referring to SM's sound bug in the Wrecked Ship that I hadn't even noticed while playing. Comparing that to Balloon Fight's completely ruined music is quite a thing to do...
Did I say they were the same? I just listed them both as an example of games that have additional issues apart from the repeating frames.

Robin64

So Super Metroid in the Masterpieces part of Smash Bros for Wii U is also the 50Hz one. Was a little worried it was going to be the 60Hz version but with just a 4 minute timer that would have been hell.

also

Banned
So Super Metroid in the Masterpieces part of Smash Bros for Wii U is also the 50Hz one. Was a little worried it was going to be the 60Hz version but with just a 4 minute timer that would have been hell.

What about Balloon Fight?

Top Bottom