• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Cent testifies his lifestyle is an illusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenebrous

desktop-1423757401.jpg

Bravo.

50 playing chess not checkers

He's still got that money, he'd just got it tucked away in places that people (read:Rick Ross's baby mama) can't reach

hal9001

Banned
Bullshit. He's clearly got tons of money hidden away somewhere in offshore accounts. Just some creative accounting going on here.

entremet

Probably not, actually. Depends on where it is and how it was structured. 50 may not be the owner on paper.

Keep forgetting how rich people made most of the laws in this county lol, so wealth preservation is rather easy via loopholes and shit.

If you read the article, you could tell the judge knows 50 is bullshitting.

Rizific

i have no clue as to what has or is happening between 50 and rick ross' baby momma or there being a sextape or what ch11 bankruptcy means. so can someone explain this whole thing to me like im 5? it seems interesting and from what ive read, its nothing more than a loop hole to get out of (or paying less) for whatever happened between him and some woman?

entremet

a human being just wrote this sentence.

If you're thinking about retirement, once you add your home, retirement accounts and such, its actually doable for middle class folks.

Actually I'd concede, upper middle class.

Also net worth is not annual income, a common mistake people make.

Jonm1010

Banned
Bullshit. He's clearly got tons of money hidden away somewhere in offshore accounts. Just some creative accounting going on here.

It is very well possible but how many stories have we heard of rappers or musicians in general getting a raw deal from record companies, expectations to use what money they do have to play up the lifestyle image they are encouraged to rap about and ten years later are broke?

To me this isn't so far fetched. Im not 100% convinced yet but I would not be shocked one bit if this is true.

While I wouldn't doubt that a record company could have screwed him on a record deal, I think royalty s alone gives him more than that.

Az

Comment about it from a CPA on reddit.
This filing buys him the time he wants/needs to pay his debts. He's not "bankrupt" in the typical usage of the term.

He's filing chapter 11 bankruptcy; this is not bankruptcy as most citizens know it. The bankruptcy that most people know is Chapter 7 bankruptcy (or chapter 13 under certain conditions) and is a total reset where you are left with no assets and no debts.

Chapter 11 bankruptcy is typically known as a "restructuring" bankruptcy. Given the lawsuits they quote in the article, I would assume he does not have immediate access to the liquid assets necessary to pay his immediate debts. This filing is to protect his investments while his financial team develops the most appropriate plan to pay his lawsuit debts. Paying $20mm is not an emergency for someone worth $500mm; paying $20mm in the next 30 days for most people of significant wealth is an emergency--most of their wealth is in investments. Think Zuckerberg here... Net worth of ~40 billion. 24 billion of that is in Facebook stock. It's not easy to free up mass units of stock for their fair market value because selling off large units of stock tanks the stock value.

Bebpo

Banned
He probably did waste away most of his money. I mean, a lot of people with a ton of money aren't particularly good at managing it.

Decent.

If you're middle class.

Is this real life?

Probably depends on location though. 4.4 million probably is decent middle class in a place like NYC or SF. Whereas it's probably like 1%-er territory in the midwest.

Corpekata

Banned
It is very well possible but how many stories have we heard of rappers or musicians in general getting a raw deal from record companies, expectations to use what money they do have to play up the lifestyle image they are encouraged to rap about and ten years later are broke?

To me this isn't so far fetched. Im not 100% convinced yet but I would not be shocked one bit if this is true.

50 didn't make most of his money from record deals. He made it through things like Vitamin Water. That isn't the type of move you see dumb musicians making. And he reportedly owns (or partially owns) other successful businesses.

This isn't some MC hammer guy with a single hit that blew it all and didn't do anything with his money. Most of his fortune was amassed by smart business moves outside of music.

params7

Banned
Yeah like Trump was poor when he filed bankruptcies for his businesses. Fiddy is playing the system. Dude is smarter than many people give him credit for.

entremet

50 didn't make most of his money from record deals. He made it through things like Vitamin Water. That isn't the type of move you see dumb musicians making. And he reportedly owns (or partially owns) other successful businesses.

This isn't some MC hammer guy with a single hit that blew it all and didn't do anything with his money. Most of his fortune was amassed by smart business moves outside of music.

I guess this why people are surprised.

50 Cent was the outlier in era of bling rappers. He actually was a shrewd businessman.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Comment about it from a CPA on reddit.

This right here. He doesn't have enough liquid assets to pay it. He is trying to stall for time in order to pay it off. Chapter 11 is difficult and costly. Not something you would file for when you are supposedly broke like 50.

old

I'm guessing everything is offshore and/or tied up.

My guess is much of it was transferred some time ago to domestic asset protection trusts. Assets are still his effectively in that he controls them, but not his "technically" because they belong to the trust.

The rich love to hide their wealth behind trusts and foundations to protect them from civil exposure.

Yeah he may have made 10 cents per record sold, but he also made $100 million from his involvement in Vitamin Water. Probably sunk it in an offshore account or something.

Yep.

Case in point, Eminem's sold many more records than 50 (or Jay or Dre for that matter), yet 50's net worth (I'm talking his actual net worth not this bullshit he's feeding the judge) is significantly higher than Em's.

That's because unlike Em, who's largely stuck to the music, 50's made power moves in the business world.

Wouldn't be surprised if all of his money/investments are through a living trust that lists himself and his family as the sole benefactor/manager. As these investments make money, the living trust would accrue a tax liability that Fiddy can then pay off from his own personal cash. Thus the value of the living trust and thus his net worth go up, while his own personal cash goes down. The courts can't touch a living trust as it is set up to go to someone else when he dies.

If he wants to buy stuff, the living trust can give the beneficiary a "bonus" for being such a good manager.

This is how you protect your assets 101. Fiddy is a really smart guy and this is rich people money protection 101. Don't be liquid and put the money in a living trust.

In addition, he likely has everything tied up in an LLC through this entity. All of these guys have LLCs to protect their wealth. Otherwise they just get targeted by lawsuits all the time.

entremet

Wouldn't be surprised if all of his money/investments are through a living trust that lists himself and his family as the sole benefactor/manager. As these investments make money, the living trust would accrue a tax liability that Fiddy can then pay off from his own personal cash. Thus the value of the living trust and thus his net worth go up, while his own personal cash goes down. The courts can't touch a living trust as it is set up to go to someone else when he dies.

If he wants to buy stuff, the living trust can give the beneficiary a "bonus" for being such a good manager.

This is how you protect your assets 101. Fiddy is a really smart guy and this is rich people money protection 101. Don't be liquid and put the money in a living trust.

I heard of rich guys doing this to avoid costly divorce settlements. Prenups are ironclad as people think.

Would he risk doing some real prison time for perjury?
It has nothing to do with perjury. He's telling the truth: he himself might not have any sizable liquid assets. But just because he doesn't "own" the jewelry or cars on paper (maybe his trust does, or one of his companies) doesn't mean he doesn't use it daily. It's the same thing as owning them. If he ever needs cash, one of his companies writes him a check. He's just a smart businessman with knowledgable accountants and investment advisors.

Onemic

Probably depends on location though. 4.4 million probably is decent middle class in a place like NYC or SF. Whereas it's probably like 1%-er territory in the midwest.

Wat. No man. Having a networth of 4.4 million means you're upper class anywhere you go.

Acrylic7

lol didn't he sell Vitamin Water to Coke Cola company for like 200 million?

This is the guy who now sells his albums independently raking in 90% of his albums sales. He doesn't even have to go platinum to make a million.

50cent is a great business man.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
50 is way too smart. Don't be so gullible, but realistically he probably does handle the things he owns in that kind of way. Because he's smart and doesn't let anything sit around that loses him money or equity.

linsivvi

Even if he was really broke, he could simply just go on a tour and make millions. Trying too hard to dodge a $5M fine.

It has nothing to do with perjury. He's telling the truth: he himself might not have any sizable liquid assets. But just because he doesn't "own" the jewelry or cars on paper (maybe his trust does, or one of his companies) doesn't mean he doesn't use it daily. It's the same thing as owning them. If he ever needs cash, one of his companies writes him a check. He's just a smart businessman with knowledgable accountants and investment advisors.

Ding ding ding. The first thing you do when you make money is hire a good attorney and a personal accountant. All your money will get pushed into LLCs/Liquid Trusts and thus is untouchable. Who owns your house and cars? The trust.

He controls the entities, but they can't be liquidated. His net worth and equity are in a great spot, but his personal assets are low for protection.

Ding ding ding. The first thing you do when you make money is hire a good attorney and a personal accountant. All your money will get pushed into LLCs/Liquid Trusts and thus is untouchable. Who owns your house and cars? The trust.

He controls the entities, but they can't be liquidated. His net worth and equity are in a great spot, but his personal assets are low for protection.

That's insane, never thought about it that way but it makes sense.

Oscar

50 is smart as fuck. Taking a public/media L, but at least he won't be paying that 5 millie to that chick.

He wants you guys to believe that he's broke.

After a quick search, it might be because he is also refusing to pay 17 million to a headphone manufacturing company from a lost court case. I would wager all of his assets are simply not in his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom